Create a "Build Help" forum in the Help Desk.

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Jack Oat

Create a "Build Help" forum in the Help Desk.

Post by Jack Oat » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:16 am

Due to the opinions of many folks stated in the Build Outcomes thread, as well as Preacher's good idea here, I propose the creation of a "Build Help" subforum under the Help Desk.

A place where those of us powerbuildy folks can safely hail whatever dark Gods we worship with our Fighter/WM/Bards and Sorcerer/Paladins and conduct our massive algorithmic rituals in excel documents free of the annoyance that is this "roleplay" nonsense.

...And moreover, a place where people who are generally curious as to the mechanical aspects can come to ask questions, read and learn, and get advice about sheer mechanics without the seemingly constant arguments about how unnecessary building is to some people, and without it being shunned as "taboo," with the original posters being told to "take it to PMs with X" instead of hosting an open board about the idea and getting feedback from different people (you know, like how science and stuff works?).

Maybe I'm just crazy-- actually, I'm most assuredly crazy, but that has nothing to do with it. As Preacher said, slap a label on there to say that it's mechanic-heavy, and that if that bothers someone, they shouldn't venture further. While I'd avoid a password due to, as stated, it being a board where people who /aren't/ build inclined can seek advice, moderation may, in turn, become necessary (though I've at least a modicum of faith that it won't).

There's the suggestion. Thoughts, comments, concerns, and questions are welcomed, and I'll try to post answers as often as I can.

P.S.: Coreybush should be forever banned from there. He told someone to take the Stealthy feat. *Head shake of SHAME.*

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

livingNPC

Re: Create a "Build Help" forum in the Help Desk.

Post by livingNPC » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:47 am

This was suggested 3 days ago, on this new forum and shot down viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:35 am

Jack Oat wrote: P.S.: Coreybush should be forever banned from there. He told someone to take the Stealthy feat. *Head shake of SHAME.*
Wanna fite
again

1v1 me test server right now I WILL EVENTUALLY WIN somehow

I don't think it was shot down completely, only that that specific DM did not like it.
But why not make both of the ideas into categories? A place for 'Character Development' and a place for 'Character Builds'
We risk spreading it all out too much.

But you know, why not? If they get used, good. If not, just delete 'em.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:43 pm

Death Mortis be praised.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:19 pm

i dont get it

If someone disagrees with another, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and word, and me or anyone else is entitled to not agree with it too. If anything, a character development section for mechanics and IC development would be good to keep some degree of order.

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:34 pm

You are very much entitled to agree or disagree. I just ask for it to be done respectfully.
Let me explain
Why I hesitate to create yet another subforum:

It's the bickering that came up in the posts asked in the Q&A ... If I could trust that a character build forum won't go down the same route that our UD forums regularly did, I'd be much less hesitant about it.

Prove to me, that it will be handled with respect and civility, then we'll go from there.

And stop making more suggestion posts about it. We have heard your wishes ;) we are on a 5 day vacation now. We'll get back to reviews and decisions after. And no, constant nagging will not lead to a quicker solution ;)
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:59 pm

I thought respect and civility were already a thing that did not to need to be mentioned o_o

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:08 pm

There's no guarantee anyone can give that any new board would or wouldn't go down the same path as the UD board. What I can offer, however small it may be, is to say that I hold hopes for that forum to become nothing more than a place of learning, education, and guidance.

My issue with the Q&A board, and it can easily be seen in the thread about Build Outcomes, is that there are always a number of people who comment saying that building is unnecessary, bad, or even going so far as to say that "it's what's ruining the server," and when it happens on nearly every build post out there, I worry it can dissuade people from asking for advice.

What can ALSO be seen in that thread, however, are positive, constructive agreements and disagreements about responses that don't fall into bashing other players or other people's wishes and playstyles. That's what I hope to see out of a build forum, and should you opt to make one, you obviously reserve the right to shut it down if it goes out of control.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:12 pm

LittleWeasel is correct in that its all about respect. the UD forum went the way of all things, in my opinion, due to the combination of the small active population of the UD combined with large amounts of what we shall call "passion" that bled over to the forum and the attitude of respect started to slip.

The creation of a new build help/character building/character development sub forum, has two main problems. the first is what LittleWeasel pointed out, respect slipping, the second is real or imagined "Find out in game" details.

That alone has been a significant source of conflict on the forums what is or is not FOIG. Thankfully Mith and others are quite vigilant and are good at finding things they deem as FOIG information. If a new forum was created, it would need an admin to watch it for that kind of information and to remind people to keep it civil and understand they ARE NOT admins and therefore have no say in what should or should not be FOIG. If they want to complain send a PM and the information will be reviewed.

If the question/answer forum was used for build related things.... well the only worry I would have is that those who ether don't want to see this, or people "carrying the banner" for rp extreamism (meaning those who seem to be against any build set up or information they deem as power building, as they feel all should just rp and take what ever the rp guides them to take.) this would discourage those seeking help to ask as well as those wanting to offer help to post because they don't want to deal with any drama that ensues for the above or other reasons.

Currently I know there are a number of arelith-ians that do their building experimentation on http://nwnecbguild.forumer.com/ (if the link isn't allowed :) please tell me or have an admin remove it) To be honest I'd rather have this happen more "in house" We are a server that is constantly updating and evolving and simply put is very much alive and flourishing. While they are unarguably experts in building. Everything is relative to the server the character is on and with areliths unique and consistent updates as well as our rp focus we would have our own builders be more ... well the best work I can think is pertinent.
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:20 pm

LittleWeasel wrote: Why I hesitate to create yet another subforum:

It's the bickering that came up in the posts asked in the Q&A ... If I could trust that a character build forum won't go down the same route that our UD forums regularly did, I'd be much less hesitant about it.

Prove to me, that it will be handled with respect and civility, then we'll go from there.
One more point. If the admins actually chose to make the sub-forum that is a very clear stamp of "WE APPROVE" and that in itself should cut those who want to post against the concept of talking about builds and such.
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.