Removing the Multiclass Rule until level 20

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Seven Sons of Sin

Removing the Multiclass Rule until level 20

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:28 pm

This has been brought up before, but-

As someone who has been struggling to get past level 10 on multiple characters over the last ...year?... A very annoying encounter that often results in a setback is the Multiclass rule. The 3 then 3 then whatever you want.

I'd like to suggest that the rule be altered, so that before level 20, you can have whatever class combination you would like AS LONG AS you have at least 3 levels in all your classes by level 20.

Early levels are often a time for attempting to get a grounding and to try to be more susceptible to organic growth- and mix and match mechanics.

Would this be hard to supervise? I was also thinking how it is breakable (due to trolling) but I couldn't really see the way.

(An alteration to my suggestion could be that you have to start with 3 levels in one class, but then the above would take effect)
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Removing the Multiclass Rule until level 20

Post by Mithreas » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:57 pm

The 3 levels thing predates me on the server, but I quickly became a big fan - it adds an additional cost to multiclassing which I like. So I'm not planning to change it.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:31 pm

Considering the number of characters that never make it to 20, I think that's kind of the same as suggesting it get dropped entirely. I think a much more reasonable thing would be to set the check at level 6. Because let's be frank here: some concepts require multiclassing to function. Currently, you have to bs those concepts for a bit with no mechanical backing if you want to play them.

Aside from giving you a bit more flexibility with your level 3 feat, there's pretty much no mechanical difference, but the "play what's on your sheet" rule won't bite as many people just getting off the boat with a new character concept.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Would be nice to have the freedom to stagger two classes for the first six levels, especially for those of us who play characters that don't fit a single base class.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill