Change to True Fire mages

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Change to True Fire mages

Post by Twily » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:13 am

Slightly off topic history: I once had a true fire mage that made it to a relatively high level. I greatly enjoyed it early on as well as into the mid levels. As I reached the high levels though, I found it became quite boring, because most spells the mage had became pointless, due to other spells that were mechanically superior in literally every aspect. My desire is to change this and the below are just my ideas on the case.

Suggestion(s):
Problem: Spells like Maximized Issacs Greater Missile Storm(IGMS) outclass every other damaging spell in 99% of cases. It has no save, one of the best damage of any true flame spell(120-240 single target, 240-480 multi target per round) and doesn't hit allies. Most level 18 true flames simply spam this all day long, forgetting about pretty much every other spell(with a few rare situational exceptions, such as firebrand).

Suggestion 1: Raise Fireballs cap to 20d6 and Delayed Fireball to 30d6(although still 1d6 per level). This would make Fireball better than IGMS if there is at least 3 targets that fail the save and delayed fireball better if at least 2 fail it(although this one does cost spell components). While this would be a very powerful change, I think it would be fairly balanced out by the fact that fireball spells hit allies.

Suggestion 2: Remove the spell component cost on Delayed Fireball and Meteor Swarm

Suggestion 3: Remove the Spell Resistance check for Delayed Fireball

Extra:
Anything even similar to the above I think would be an improvement. I feel like a true flames strongest spells should be the ones that hit allies, this however is not the case.

Spells like IGMS(40d6), Chain Lightning(20d6+10d6per additional target) and Firebrand(15d6 per target) all do nearly as much or more damage as spells that hits allies Fireball(10d6 per target), Scintilating sphere(10d6 per target), Delayed Fireball(20d6 per target), Meteor Swarm(20d6per target).

While Meteor Swarm and Delayed Fireball are technically higher damage if there's at least 3 foes, they cost spell components and have a reflex save for half damage(or Imp Evasion/evasion for half/no damage), which isn't the case with IGMS.