Lesser "Moonblade"

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Miaou

Lesser "Moonblade"

Post by Miaou » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:16 pm

While I really love the updates and all, I do take issue with the name of the most recent elven longsword.

"A moonblade was a hereditary magical longsword passed down in elf lineages." They were highly specialized weapons denoting major houses, passed down within the noble houses to the next heir. While I understand the notion that this is supposed to be a "lesser" form of it, such really doesn't make sense, as such blades can't be made outside of Evermeet. Calling a normal longsword, even with enchantments, a "moonblade" is kinda insulting.

If possible, can the name be changed to fit the lore better? There were many suggestions given, such as duskblade or sunblade.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Moonblade

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Lesser "Moonblade"

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Moonblades are known throughout elfdom as powerful swords, passed down generations of moon elves, imbued with manics from wielder to wielder. Such swords are crafted only by the greatest of elven smiths – but great smiths must train. And whilst the secrets of forging True Moon Blades is closely hidden – it is a different tale for practice blades such as this.
Hi, I wrote the description and name for these. Basicaly whilst the secret of forging full moonblades is closely hidden, apprencitces have to train some how and so I thought it would be both fitting, and interesting, that some of the lesser secrets got out of evermeet and were shared elsewhere. I also like tying it back to FR lore because it might encourage people to read up on Proper Moonblades (which are very cool by the way, I highly recommend Elien Cunningham's books there, she's an amazing writer.) Also it might make people feel a bit more 'epic' to think they have a lesser moonblade. Not as awsome as a real moonblade, but still pretty cool. It has a beautiful elven feel, and gives a lot of love to the Moonelves, who sometimes I think tend to get a bit forgotten.
Of course, it's up to Irongron, but I for one remain contented with this description.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)