Erinyes - bow and longsword

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Erinyes - bow and longsword

Post by cornelius_4 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:16 am

After trying the crossbow battleloth, I found myself wanting to hang on to it, a ranged summon is an interesting alternative to the usual melee. Nonetheless, the battleloth will eventually start struggling to land a hit and this is where I was thinking it would be nice to have more ranged summon options.

The erinyes would be a prime candidate as it's main weapon is "a shining red +1 flaming composite longbow" (while also wielding a longsword as now) according to the link below:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Erinyes

I think it should keep it's melee option alongside the bow though. With it's decent attack bonus and the ability to stay behind the front line, it should remain an option for a very long time. Also there is something about the erinyes that makes me want to keep it rather than get to the next tier, this would help me to do just that!.

Peppermint

Re: Erinyes - bow and longsword

Post by Peppermint » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:17 am

I was initially going to make the erinyes a ranged summon, but in practice it just didn't work very well. The AI simply doesn't swap between ranged/melee particularly intelligently, and as a warlock summon, it's important that it fills the melee combatant niche.

This was not a concern with the crossbow battleloth, as warlocks never summon yugoloths.

Denied, but I'd be open to revisiting this following an AI overhaul.