Arelith: Shadow of Cordor

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Juke The Spuke

Arelith: Shadow of Cordor

Post by Juke The Spuke » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:46 am

Let monsters become more powerful whenever they kill a player. These creatures would act as temporary bosses until next reset. A monster that scores the killing blow against a PC gains level and stat boosts, a special name or title as well as yielding bonus XP rewards and a bounty head loot drop when killed.

The names could be randomly generated based on race. I don't know how long monsters are kept in an area normally. I'd imagine they get cleared out quite quickly to sort out any lag problems but keeping one monster who happens to have killed someone shouldn't add too much to the load. Though I suppose if a whole party gets wiped there are going to be several promoted creatures running about.

People often complain how death holds no meaning in NWN when we respawn immediately after and are encouraged to act as though it never happened. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor has a fantastic system for consequences for death beyond simply reloading and this suggestion was partially inspired by the Nemesis System.

I'm not entirely sure how out of hand this could get during a fight if your friends keep dying and you're suddenly outnumbered by even tougher creatures than the ones you were facing before. That said they'd still provide more gold and XP should you bring them down so I'd say it's worth it. Not sure if boss creatures should be included in the promotion scheme seeing as they are already powerful to begin with.