Add cooldown to wizard/sorc endless spells

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Add cooldown to wizard/sorc endless spells

Post by cornelius_4 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:40 pm

I would like to suggest a cooldown on the abilities gained for wizard/sorcerer on greater spell focus [some school].

This is not because I think they are too powerful or anything like that, but more how it feels. When I can use my melfs acid arrow every round, it doesn't feel that special to me. If the spell had a 5 round cooldown or some-such, I would appreciate the ability more as it would feel more important when I could use it and I would be more careful when I used it and on what enemy.

I think this would be an awesome combination between the weave master feel and the resource management of normal wizard/sorc and suddenly it would also be more important to have multiple greater spell focuses.

Ps: then we could also have negative energy ray back on necromancy without undead being too hard to kill and I think I read you preferred damage spells for the free spells, good stuff!

Peppermint

Re: Add cooldown to wizard/sorc endless spells

Post by Peppermint » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:48 am

I'm going to file this one into "rejected", but let me provide some context.

As mentioned in the update thread, what we have now is just a step in the direction of what we intend to do.

The full scale version will include more spells, some of which will be on cooldown (e.g. we're looking at ILMS as a cooldown-based focus spell). We don't want to do that to the first level spells.