Magical Rogues

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Waldo52

Magical Rogues

Post by Waldo52 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:44 am

I think that pretty much every classic fantasy niche is represented on Arelith. The only thing that's noticably absent is a true rogue/magician hybrid.

We get this to a certain degree with SDs and assassins who have supernatural or spell like abilities, we get it a bit with rogues and warlocks although they don't do the whole sneak attack thing at all which limits them from truly filling the role. The seeker cleric is a good attempt and shows some promise but he feels much more cleric-like than rogue-like and is limited by the cleric's skill ranks and skill selection.

I think it would be nice to have an option analogous to the spellsword, but for stealth instead of conventional combat. It's currently not really possible to play a mage/thief hybrid without significant caveats and limitations.

D&D did have an arcane trickster PrC, so this is not just a wild idea without precedent.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Magical Rogues

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:40 pm

Rejected as written. But conceptually not ruled out.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)