The Chronology of Arelith SPOILER HEAVY

All discussions, suggestions, submissions, organizations required to keep the Encyclopedia Arelithica up to date, and worthy of historical annals.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: The Chronology of Arelith

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:11 am

Marsi wrote:
yellowcateyes wrote:I would suggest naming it after the Witch Sisters, but I can't for the life of me recall their names.
Grelt'cae?
That might be it! Their commonly-held last name, at least.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: The Chronology of Arelith

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:26 am

yellowcateyes wrote:
Marsi wrote:
yellowcateyes wrote:I would suggest naming it after the Witch Sisters, but I can't for the life of me recall their names.
Grelt'cae?
That might be it! Their commonly-held last name, at least.
Yes, I added that entry too (I extracted the names from the EA, banishing the name o the banned dude btw as in real history happened many times too):

15 AR Abyssal insurrection. the Witch Sisters Quimelya and Venmelya Grelt'cae took over the Fortress and made themselves rulers. Taking off on the reign of the former leader, a sorceror whose name was banished from the memory.

Feel free to slap me to correct any wrong typo.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: The Chronology of Arelith SPOILER HEAVY

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:30 am

The names seem correct to me. But it's been years, and I wasn't the one who played either of them, so I'm not the best reference.

Even back then, I called them the 'Witch Sisters' since their names were hard to remember.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:55 am

I find a trouble about the Baator awakening... related to the destruction and rebuilt of the Arcane Tower in a day (EA resource)

There are two entries related to the Baator awakening... and two about the Arcane Tower being moved to the north of Cordor outskirts...

:arrow: Acording Cuchilla's Arelith timeline... ~ Arcane Tower moved in 2004 (15 BR to 4 BR) ?

:arrow: The first one in 39 AR, when the Surface settlements makes an allied army that march towards the infernal army trying to get spots to penetrate in the Abyss cause the War of Blood... after several loses, the coalition get sucess, blocking the gate located in Old Stone...

:arrow: The second in 53 AR, when the drows try to seal definitively said gate with not sucess and several casualities...

:arrow: :arrow: Between both events, the EA says the Arcane Tower got destroyed and moved to the Mayfields area in 53 AR, BUT...

To me, it seems like that could happen in 39 AC instead, due in 39 AR the leys collapsed, causing many of them desapariting and other degenerating... I don't see how the drows event on 53 AR could have been caused the destruction of the Arcane Tower...

Any clue?
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:05 am

I don't recall the Arcane Tower being destroyed in that time frame, though it was certainly refurbished and remade a few times.

The first time, it moved north of the City of Cordor to escape politics and establish itself as an independent institution. This was early in the isle's history, either during the time of the Cordor Senate or in the BR period before the server split with Amia. That location was in the Bramble Forest, and the Arcane Tower stood there for a very long time.

The portal collapse did not destroy the Arcane Tower, and it was actually one of the few places that retained a stable portal node. It still does, to this day.

The drow sealing incident had no effect on the Tower.

In all honesty, the Tower was relocated - without any grand destruction event - due to the devs deciding to move it to a better place beside the Mayfields Inn, along with a new tileset and a fresh look. The Archmagi at the time half-jokingly roleplayed it as the fallout of one of Mesmer's drunken nights, though that might be a little too self-indulgent. You could simply enter it as the Tower relocating to a more advantageous position astride the great trade road.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:32 am

The Man of the Moon wrote:7? AR Benwick start organizing great tournaments and festivals.
I believe in Guldorand, on the "guest book" in the lodge, you can find an aaaaaaaaaaaage old message about Shaalira's tournament that will give you an idea to the time. Probably the late 50's/early 60's, as the date of the message is messed up, and the calender issues on the server happened around that time.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:59 am

yellowcateyes wrote:I don't recall the Arcane Tower being destroyed in that time frame, though it was certainly refurbished and remade a few times.

The first time, it moved north of the City of Cordor to escape politics and establish itself as an independent institution. This was early in the isle's history, either during the time of the Cordor Senate or in the BR period before the server split with Amia. That location was in the Bramble Forest, and the Arcane Tower stood there for a very long time.

The portal collapse did not destroy the Arcane Tower, and it was actually one of the few places that retained a stable portal node. It still does, to this day.

The drow sealing incident had no effect on the Tower.

In all honesty, the Tower was relocated - without any grand destruction event - due to the devs deciding to move it to a better place beside the Mayfields Inn, along with a new tileset and a fresh look. The Archmagi at the time half-jokingly roleplayed it as the fallout of one of Mesmer's drunken nights, though that might be a little too self-indulgent. You could simply enter it as the Tower relocating to a more advantageous position astride the great trade road.
Ok, so added this entry in the Time of Reckonig untill we could find any archimage who was witness of that event or someone else who could recall the date.

? BR/AR The Arcane Tower Tower is relocated to a more advantageous position astride the great trade road to avoid the politic influence of Cordor.

Thank you

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:02 am

The Man of the Moon wrote:Ok, so added this entry in the Time of Reckonig untill we could find any archimage who was witness of that event or someone else who could recall the date.

? BR/AR The Arcane Tower Tower is relocated to a more advantageous position astride the great trade road to avoid the politic influence of Cordor.
It's actually two separate events and two separate movements.

The Arcane Tower moved away from Cordor into the Bramble Forest to escape the politics of the city, and to establish itself as an independent, academic institution. This was in early AR or in BR.

Then, much later, the Arcane Tower relocates again to its present position near the Mayfields along the trade road.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:04 am

Marsi wrote:
The Man of the Moon wrote:7? AR Benwick start organizing great tournaments and festivals.
I believe in Guldorand, on the "guest book" in the lodge, you can find an aaaaaaaaaaaage old message about Shaalira's tournament that will give you an idea to the time. Probably the late 50's/early 60's, as the date of the message is messed up, and the calender issues on the server happened around that time.
I will try to fish dates on every board then... I found some interesting things in the memorial tombs of the Cordor's Graveyard, within another spawn of the Tollidor cataclysm history...

Could be awesome start an IG Guild to keep track of the History of Arelith... the only sad thing is that Euclio Cartan tried to make a Historicians Guild and none joined... Dunno... Maybe worth a new try.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:08 am

yellowcateyes wrote:
The Man of the Moon wrote:Ok, so added this entry in the Time of Reckonig untill we could find any archimage who was witness of that event or someone else who could recall the date.

It's actually two separate events and two separate movements.

The Arcane Tower moved away from Cordor into the Bramble Forest to escape the politics of the city, and to establish itself as an independent, academic institution. This was in early AR or in BR.

Then, much later, the Arcane Tower relocates again to its present position near the Mayfields along the trade road.
From the EA...

Event Name
Destruction/Reconstruction of the Arcane Tower, The

Timeline (help)
53 AR (Baator\'s Awakening / Planes\' Taint)

History

This is the story of how the Arcane Tower was destroyed and rebuilt in a day.

Somewhere north of Cordor, on the edge of the Bramble Woods, lay a barren hillock overlooking the Mayfield's tavern and the Arelith Caravan Guild's oxstalls. All was still, except for the occasional trundling of a cart.
All that changed on the day the Arcane Tower rose from the depths.

It began with an earthquake. A short, sudden jolt that wracked the border zone between Cordor and Bendir, and while under ordinary circumstances it would be paid little heed, the purple lightning...
crashing down and sudden descent of night made it clear that this was no ordinary earthquake.

When the storm and darkness had faded, all sorts of people had gathered at the foot of this edifice, but a select few approached closest, almost instinctively. A sudden glow pierced the foot of this creation, shining between the cracks in the walls, forming a doorway - a portal. As soon as it appeared, a magestic metallic door filled up the frame and opened. From within a bright light...
crashing down and sudden descent of night made it clear that this was no ordinary earthquake.

Localised stormclouds cast shades of colours never seen before by mortal eyes, throwing violent shadows and jagged forks of light and fire across the sky. The centre of the plain cracked, a small stoneblock pushing upwards... and upwards, and on and on, growing wider at the base until it rose high into the air. Towers and parapets burst forth from this monolith like a phoenix's wings, and the storm began to subside.

Crackling aetheric energies caressed the monolithic structure,...
engraving the walls to look like brick and stone. As the final streak of purple lightning passed over this structure, it resembled a great castle - as though it had been there for centuries.

When the storm and darkness had faded, all sorts of people had gathered at the foot of this edifice, but a select few approached closest, almost instinctively. A sudden glow pierced the foot of this creation, shining between the cracks in the walls, forming a doorway - a portal. As soon as it appeared, a magestic metallic door filled up the frame and opened. From within a bright light
appeared, hazy and indistinct. It came closer before assuming the shape of a humanoid figure. The few closest to the doorway immediately recognised their Archmage.

'My sons', boomed Ayin, 'welcome to the Arcane Tower

Could this be pointing that last movement of the Arcane Tower location then?

Thank you

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:23 am

Yep, that sounds like the tower's second relocation. Ayin Mesmer as Archmage places the event definitively in a certain segment of the timeline, in the years after Thayvian Wharftown.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:24 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:Few notes,

I'd also include the War of the North/Northern War/Auril's Conquest in 74 AR.

As well as the formation of the Forsworn in the late 60s. That shook up the place.

Kohlingen was founded after Benwick. From what IC sources I came across, Darius Tristam and his supporters left Benwick after it had been established. So I'd switch around the 20 BR and 15 BR you have listed. (and more)

Minmir/Kohlingen history is tiresome. Manfried and Montgomery existed during Kohlingen because the IC journal found in Minmir Manor explicitly states Kohlingen tax collectors. I think Artos actually said OOCly in the last forums that indeed Kohlingen's downfall was indeed tied to some undead apocalypse (explains Manfried). There's also the formation of the Duchy of Minmir, which is not mentioned in any Kohlingen texts or records, but was supposedly around sometime.

Chronologically, it would look something like this:

? BR: Galahad asks permission for a lease of land from the Heartwood to build a keep in the eastern Arelith Forests dedicated to the Triad.

? BR: Galahad constructs Light Keep, reigns as King, is nicknamed 'Galahad the Builder.'

? BR: Darius Tristam, a knight under Galahad, leaves Benwick because he believes Galahad is granting entrance to individuals who are antithetical to Triadic faith. Founds Kohlingen.

? BR: Earl Manfried*** complains about Kohlingen tax-collectors.

? AR/BR: Fall of Kohlingen. Darius escapes alive, with a few survivors, and returns to Light Keep where Galahad the Builder accepts them warmly.

**I'd love it if a DEV could chime in at some point about this, because Earl Manfried (and Earl Montgomery by extension) are a real "wtf" in the history of northern Arelith. It's implied that the two Earls did not reside in Kohlingen because they paid taxes- they had separate estates. Was this before or after the arrival of Darius? Furthermore, were they perhaps descendants of the Duchy of Minmir (the pre-Myon)?
Added: 74 AR Northern War. Auril's conquest of some territories on the Dark Spires, building a temple in the deeps of the moutain caves. Apparition of the White Great Wyrm Icingbreath.

Fixed the Benwick and Kohlingen dates of events: I kept the date of the foundation of Benwick as a more beliavle date... also the date of the kohlingen destruction in 1 AR. I found somewhere 2 or 3 AR as the time when they returned to benwick, but I will avoid that and keep adding the return in the same entry as the destruction of kohlingen.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:33 am

Updated timeline on first page of this thread or in viewtopic.php?f=25&t=492
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:17 am, edited 35 times in total.

Thank you

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:30 am

I think it would be easier to edit/comment on a timeline if it were in a google doc, guys

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:26 am

Marsi wrote:I think it would be easier to edit/comment on a timeline if it were in a google doc, guys
Good idea. I will open it later (my office computer cannot make certain operations due safety policies)

Thank you

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:26 pm

Expanding on the Benwick timeline.

? AR, (Prior to the death of Aristotlus): King Galahad of Benwick passes away, leaving the citadel to be governed by his Queen.

? AR, (Prior to the rise of Pax Cordoria): The Queen of Benwick passes away and the monarchy is abolished. Benwick is henceforth ruled by a Council of Three. High Priestess Lexi presides over the first such Council and continues to do so over the course of a long and storied lifetime of service.

Exact dates were found on placeables / postings in old LK, but I think they were lost when the area was destroyed.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Ecstatic

Post by Ecstatic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:59 pm

A lot of the minor dates on there are far, far off. I suspect the base timeline is a mess with respect to the 2005-2008 period. In particular, there's a large period from early 2005 to late 2006 that seems to be missing vast quantities of history (In particular, notes on Cordor's history during this period are missing/in the wrong place; the dissolution of the senate, for example, did not take place until many years of fighting between the guard and senate, after Aris retired) I will spend some time when I'm not posting from my phone, but a couple that caught my eye:

Morghunn's been in the module since at least mid 2005: I farmed his dungeon for a few levels on my first character. Ditto the bloodmoon orcs.

Likewise, the Mayfields has been north of Cordor since I started playing here in mid 2005.

I think the speedy messengers went in much earlier than indicated (2006-2007 timeframe), and Merogo was the halfling running the vineyard, not the messenger service.
TANSTAAFL

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:44 pm

Ecstatic wrote:A lot of the minor dates on there are far, far off. I suspect the base timeline is a mess with respect to the 2005-2008 period. In particular, there's a large period from early 2005 to late 2006 that seems to be missing vast quantities of history (In particular, notes on Cordor's history during this period are missing/in the wrong place; the dissolution of the senate, for example, did not take place until many years of fighting between the guard and senate, after Aris retired) I will spend some time when I'm not posting from my phone, but a couple that caught my eye:

Morghunn's been in the module since at least mid 2005: I farmed his dungeon for a few levels on my first character. Ditto the bloodmoon orcs.

Likewise, the Mayfields has been north of Cordor since I started playing here in mid 2005.

I think the speedy messengers went in much earlier than indicated (2006-2007 timeframe), and Merogo was the halfling running the vineyard, not the messenger service.
Ah, XD the Merogo's thing was a mistake of my mind XD Dunno why I was thinking on him when added the entry.

All what was mentioned at this point, is updated in the draft.

Thank you

DM Watchtower

Post by DM Watchtower » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Confirmed this last night, but the bulk of the Crown of Horns stuff went down in AR 76.

The settlement of Bendir happened long before 30 AR. I came to the server around AR 20-25 or so, and Bendir was firmly established and already had an extensive history, at that point.

Soulhaven was also Soulhaven by this time as well.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:07 pm

DM Watchtower wrote:Confirmed this last night, but the bulk of the Crown of Horns stuff went down in AR 76.

The settlement of Bendir happened long before 30 AR. I came to the server around AR 20-25 or so, and Bendir was firmly established and already had an extensive history, at that point.

Soulhaven was also Soulhaven by this time as well.
Thanks, fixed

Thank you

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:30 am

About Blingstonhold. Sorry about my note, which might have been a bit unclear and caused misunderstandings. Just some corrections:

77 AR First War between Udos Dro’xun and Bligstonhold.

78 AR Second War between Udos Dro’xun and Bligstonhold.

These wars were between on one side the drow (Udos and allies), on the other the duergars (leaad by Olga Anvildriver and allies). They were an attempt from the duergars to gain power over the drow, but failed, both times. Blingstonhold managed to stay neutral both times, due to a policy of promising not to attack those who did not attack Blingstonhold!

92/93 AR UD: The svirneflin build an Ironclad and a shipyard in Andunor

Yes, they did, but that was before Andunor! The shipyard was later transferred to Andunor. The shipyard's entrance was through Blingstonhold. But after the collapse of the entrances to Bling, it was moved to .... FOIG.

Thanks for the great work ... and good luck!

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:35 am

Cuchilla wrote:About Blingstonhold. Sorry about my note, which might have been a bit unclear and caused misunderstandings. Just some corrections:

77 AR First War between Udos Dro’xun and Bligstonhold.

78 AR Second War between Udos Dro’xun and Bligstonhold.

These wars were between on one side the drow (Udos and allies), on the other the duergars (leaad by Olga Anvildriver and allies). They were an attempt from the duergars to gain power over the drow, but failed, both times. Blingstonhold managed to stay neutral both times, due to a policy of promising not to attack those who did not attack Blingstonhold!

92/93 AR UD: The svirneflin build an Ironclad and a shipyard in Andunor

Yes, they did, but that was before Andunor! The shipyard was later transferred to Andunor. The shipyard's entrance was through Blingstonhold. But after the collapse of the entrances to Bling, it was moved to .... FOIG.

Thanks for the great work ... and good luck!
All fixed, and thanks for your awesome records. Without you, Kuma, SIns and many others we could stay in darkness here ;)

I hope we can bring every small piece of the Arelith knowledge alive. By the way, is awesome keep a track on all the overall view!

Thank you

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:34 pm

41 AR (Cleansing of Wharftown) The Wharftown Liberation Movement, led by Herial Ghalen, Magil Mahr, and Kathele Se'Lhane, gets sucess eradicating the Thayvyan from Wharftown.
This is likely an example of the EA author's bias as he played Se'Lhane. He also played all of Kathele's ancestors, as is obvious by the plentiful references to his characters' (and his characters' friends) activities in the early timeline. The "Cleansing of Wharftown" was a rather controversial event at the time as the attack killed many innocent bystanders without actually hurting any of the Thayvian leaders in charge.

I don't believe the Thayvians actually left Wharftown because of it.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:43 pm

69 AR The Wharftown Clash. One of the largest battles in Wharftown's history, that ended in a successful defense. The Archmage of the Tower and Infernalist Tiefling Hound who lead the hostile force against Wharftown, was captured by Sando Saikoro, captain of the Sea Leopard and associate of Wharftown. Valden Stormbright, Infernalist Priest and a member of the Arcane Tower led an attack force consisting of Tower mages and Infernalist Cordorians (most of them Infernalists aswell, others unaware of the true reasons behind this), to take Wharftown and get revenge on Sando. Lillia Aylows, Queen of the Abyss and the trusted First Knight Lady Nelyata Wennarnes came to aid Wharftown and successfully defended it against the whole attacking force. Slaying a great number of Infernalists.
Just a few things for Man On The Moon's Timline

If the above is what's widely known, fine. But for the record Hound was never an infernalist (though he hung about some some) Also - I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure this occured a little while after Valden Stormbright stopped playing. I don't remember many internalsits having that much of a hand in that event.
7? AR Guldorand expands with a Lumber mill.
I think this may have been quite early in the 70's. It was (must?) have been pre-war of Horns, probably by a few years, as fairly early on in Justin's career a big event happened there, and Justin took part in the War of Horns. I'd guess it was pre 75 ar anyway.
91/92? AR The Astrolabe is created by a council of mages and Sages to fix the Planar breach.
The 'Last Battle of the Rifts' and this is one in the same. The last rift battle happened due to the creation of the Astrolobe. So just mulch this into one entry. Granted, as players it was a little wihle before we could step in and start doing stuff, but it was there.

DM Watchtower

Post by DM Watchtower » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Guldorand's expansion definitely happened long before the 70s. It was in the early 60s, very likely, and maybe even the late 50s.