Structure/Important Stuff (Sticky Plox?)

All discussions, suggestions, submissions, organizations required to keep the Encyclopedia Arelithica up to date, and worthy of historical annals.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

dragoneyeIIVX

Structure/Important Stuff (Sticky Plox?)

Post by dragoneyeIIVX » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:16 am

The Plan:

Organize the Archives:
Everything is going to be organized by Tags; General and Specific. General tags are static and won't be changed, Specific tags are effectively names, and are innumerable and open to input by all players, once the thing goes lives. The General Tags:
  • People
  • Locations
  • Events
  • Creatures
  • Resources
  • Phenomena
  • Artefacts
  • Organizations
Populate the Archives:
This is where the fun side is. We need books, information, and otherwise about stuff that's happened on Arelith so researchers actually have something to look forward to once the system goes live. We'll be posting all the info on this subforum, so keep things... generally together.

How it Works: (Pending Scripts, Dev Input, Etc)
- Characters submit a book to "The Archives" - IG or through the website
- The character selects a "General Tag" ("People", "Places", etc) for the book
- Then they pick a "Specific Tag" (Daedin, Wharftown, etc) about it's topic.
- It gets pushed to (whoever manages it at the time) for approval. More importantly, that person will match up the Specific tag to one that might already exist. So if someone puts in "Stonehold" but really means "Stonehold Ruins" it can get fixed up. Or, if it's something new (such as a new character entry), that new Specific Tag can be introduced.

dragoneyeIIVX

Re: Structure/Important Stuff (Sticky Plox?)

Post by dragoneyeIIVX » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:19 am

By all means feel free to discuss general structure/important stuff here!

jp.ping14

Post by jp.ping14 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:07 am

The Resource tag I believe the EA could live without.
The Wiki already have those, I suggest we take that category out.

Also, I would like a feature wherein you could search by timeline.

EDIT: A suggestion, wherein the public could make comments to the EA entries. This way we could make it as unbiased and as accurate as possible. The tale of arelith is after all, the tale of players.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:05 pm

jp.ping14 wrote: Also, I would like a feature wherein you could search by timeline.
Defo a timeline or chronology would help a lot, not only to find things but also to see how the history of Arelith evolves.

btw... I would include the resources aswell, since are a side on the Arelith world that could be added giving to it some tasty touches, and not just leaving them as a crafting feature, but something that can affect the economies and politics of some settlements... Some legends can also be attached to certain resources (as the wolfsbane).
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:09 am

A suggestion regarding structure, though I'm not clear on how this system will work so it may not be possible.

Could PCs interact with particular bookshelves, so that different libraries around the servers could have different specialties/areas of research, and some of these could relate not just to Arelith history, but the FR setting, and indeed general knowledge.

For instance Cordor Lirbary could have a great 'geography' section, or Bendir a decent line in 'Folklore', A PC could interact with that particular bookshelf to research a keyword, and would potentially yield anything classed under the master heading. Once they have found a particular book that is interesting to them they could select 'take book' which would spawn a document with the relevant text?

Contributors could, if they choose to, work on particular books, or entire sections. For instance if we have a player who knows a great deal about metallurgy, FR Cosmology, Deity Info, etc, they could work upon an entire set of works (Which, if approved would be added as a bookshelf to one of the libraries).

Basically so a scholar would be encouraged to visit various libraries so as to further their research, maybe the demonology archives in the Abyssal Guildhouse is without equal, or if one really wishes to learn about dwarven lore they must visit Brogendenstein.

PCs could tag their books with a variety of possible categories, so the same book could appear on a number of shelves. What would also be fantastic is if they could set a language to their book, so only a PC able to speak the tongue would be able to uncover the book.

The larger libraries could have a master index, where a scholar could be told in what other libraries a particular book is located.

I may be far too ambitious with this suggestion, but thought I'd make it anyway!

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:34 am

I think, the more easy option is to keep main and secondary tags as following (or any other posible option/combination)

1. Sciences
(History, Geography, Linguistic (phrasebooks), Astrology, Alchemy, Botany, Demonology, Others...)

2. Legends & Myths
(Religion, Forbidden or contested lore...)

3. Miscellanea
(Biographies, essays, novels...)

Then, each rack of books could pop books of any category or subcategory asociated.

If I am right, I guess this is what Mithreas is going to do (with his chosen categories taggs)
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Someonehere123

Post by Someonehere123 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:25 pm

I just want to chime in with the opinion that this seems to be getting waaaaay too weirdly obsessively detailed for a system that was only outlined and, to my knowledge, not yet really even toyed with, and which doesn't have any sort of timeline or details as to completion of even partial implementation.

Not that I don't still love the idea of a scripted in-game interface with a history database, but is this pre-alpha-pre-planning-brainstorm not getting weird earlier than usual for Arelith? Or am I crazy? How can this be better structured on the forums, if I'm not crazy?

Daedin

Post by Daedin » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:58 pm

If I am getting the vibe of this right, Someonehere3005004486614777, so far, the forums have been used simply for information dumping and preliminary organization.

Once there is an actualy system in place, I am guessing it'll be easier to just come back here, and take a look at some data that has already been somewhat worked on.

Faye

Post by Faye » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:40 pm

Daedin wrote:Someonehere3005004486614777
New forum ID calling it
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:20 pm

Hello

Is the project to revive the encyclopaedia alive?.

Now, we have a Chronology (That we could continue upgrading and polishing)

So what is up with the Encyclopedia? :geek:

Thank you