[READ ME] Recent attack

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

[READ ME] Recent attack

Post by Mithreas » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:07 pm

For those who weren't in the loop, the recent downtime was caused by a hacker compromising our server. We took the server down to protect everyone while we figured out the extent of the hack.

The attacker compromised an admin account, and used that to access everything on the forums (old and new). They had access to everything from PMs, including various full CD keys that players had sent to members of the team (as a reminder, don't do this, folks. We only ever need your public key).

I have reset all forum passwords. You won't be able to log in until you've done -forum_password from in game.

I have also banned the CD keys that were posted publicly, to protect those accounts. If one of them was you, let me know once you have a new CD key and we'll get you set up.

--

However, don't expect everything to be business as usual, please. This attack was extremely distressing at a personal level to several members of the admin team, and it's very possible at this point that some of us will give up running the server altogether. As a result, expect us to be very light on admin support for the next while, while we work out who wants to continue and who's done, and what the future of the server will be going forwards.

Thank you for all the messages of support we got over the last few days - each and every one is truly appreciated.

-Mith & the team
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: [READ ME] Recent attack

Post by LittleWeasel » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Several of you have contacted me, that you've created a forum password in game, but when you try to log in with it, it won't work.

When you do pick a new password, please make sure it contains letters AND numbers

That should keep you from being unable to log on. If you still have trouble, contact me on skype (zeanana) or facebook.
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*