SUPER HYPER IMPORTANT PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

SUPER HYPER IMPORTANT PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:11 am

We have the new cloud server up and running, and I'm ready to start trying migrations.

I'm well aware that the weekend is the peak time for playing, so I'm going to try to minimise disruption. However, there WILL be disruption.

Specifically:
- There will be a total outage of both the forums and server while I copy over the latest database files to the new server. The forums will remain up in read only mode - if you can't post, you know the migration is underway.
- The server vault will not be available immediately. Therefore, you will have to roll up new characters while it copies up. This will likely take many hours.
- If the migration fails (e.g. we find everything is badly broken for some reason) then we will switch everything back to the current server. This will effectively be a rollback to the point of the migration.
- I am not migrating the wiki and Encyclopedia immediately. These should continue to work on the current server.

I'm going to start the process now. It will be a few hours (of copying BioDB files) before I can get started, and I will keep this thread updated with progress.

LAST VERY IMPORTANT POINT - DNS records (arelith.com, game.arelith.com, forum.arelith.com etc etc) may take some time to update. If you cannot reach the game, try connecting to virtual.arelith.com instead (IP 130.211.153.39) - this is the new server. If you can't reach the (active, working) forums, you'll have to just be patient - within a couple of hours of the switchover the path should return. However, if you still have issues after a couple of hours, close your browser and run "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes) from your command prompt or Run box to clear your local cache. Then try connecting again.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: SUPER HYPER IMPORTANT PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:10 am

I expect to take everything down in around 30-40 minutes to start this.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:09 am

If you can read this, we're running on the new server. Working on getting the servers up now - connect via the usual ports (5124, 5125, 5126) on virtual.arelith.com for now (once they are up).

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:19 am

Servers now coming up - should be reachable on virtual.arelith.com at the ports above.

The vault is currently empty - that's gonna take a while to get transferred. But you should be able to roll up new characters and keep playing.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:53 am

ETA on getting the servervault back is around 3 hours.

Also! DM password has finally changed. DMs on the new shift, hit me up for the new password.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:35 am

The vault is now restoring. Characters should be available shortly.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:51 pm

Status update!

The following have been migrated:
- 3 main servers
- Main server database
- Forums
- Website (I also fixed a bunch of stuff, but the website can still use an overhaul)
- Build scripts

The following have not yet been migrated. They should all still be working (or not, in the case of the Encyclopedia) as well as they were before the migration.
- FL (still accessible via backup.arelith.com:5126)
- FL database
- Wiki & database
- Encyclopedia & database.

I'm aware of a stacking bug, but overall we're looking like we're in good shape right now, and the new server appears to be performing much better than the old ones.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:09 pm

The FL server has now been migrated. It's up and running on port 5126 on the new server (arelith.com, game.arelith.com and virtual.arelith.com should all work).

The server vault is being transferred and will be available soon (tm).

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:54 pm

And the FL vault is now in place, so it should all be working correctly.

The portal isn't pointed at the right place yet, and the portal tools aren't working properly for DMs or admins, but the server itself should be fully operational. Bug reports to the usual place please.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:13 pm

Shutting down the wiki and encyclopedia for migration. They'll be up later on the new server.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Everything seems to be accessible on the new server now.

Yes, we're dealing with a few minor bits of fallout still, but all services are now running in the Cloud. Power failures in Knoxville should no longer terrorise the Arelith playerbase.