IMPORTANT: 1.69 to EE Servervault Migration

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

IMPORTANT: 1.69 to EE Servervault Migration

Post by Dunshine » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:39 am

In order to keep playing your current 1.69 characters after we fully migrated to Enhanced Edition, you will have to copy your nwncdkey.ini file from your 1.69 NWN installation folder to your 1.74 NWN:EE user folder. Typically this is in c:\users\yourusernamehere\documents\neverwinter nights, this is the same folder where your EE cdkey already recides, which is named cdkey.ini. So copy nwncdkey.ini from your old NWN installation to the new installations user folder. Do not overwrite cdkey.ini, just copy nwncdkey.ini with the same name to that folder.

After you've done that, you can login with any old playername you used before on 1.69 into our new EE version of the Arelith modules. All character bic files from the old servervault will then be automatically transfered to the new EE servervault. So you have to repeat this proces for all your old playernames.

In Enhanced Edition the servervault is no longer based on playernames, but on public cdkey. This means that all your characters of all your playernames will be in the same servervault folder. So every character that you create will end up in the same vault regardless with which playername you are logged in with. You can also play every one of your characters with any of your playernames. This makes playernames no longer relevant when playing a PC. However...

That is default EE behaviour, we decided to keep enforcing the usage of unique playernames for Arelith. This is done to prevent people of using other peoples playernames, since that would become very confusing. What this means is this, we will check if the playername you've logged in with isn't already claimed by another player. If not, then it will be tied to your cdkey, so nobody else will be able to use that playername anymore in the future. If it is already used, you'll be informed and booted.

This means that you can login with playername Bob123 and play all your characters, and the next day as Jim123 and also play all your characters, but i.e. not as Dunshine, because that's my playername and you will be whip... which is already tied to my cdkey, so the server will refuse you to login with it.

All of this will not trigger before we have fully moved to EE, so this is not happening yet when you login to Distant Shores.

We plan to migrate to EE around 27th of March when the game will be released by Beamdog. We'll keep you informed here if we will make that schedule or not.

Q&A

Q. Can someone else then me claim my current playernames when he logs into EE?
A. Nope, we will migrate all current playernames to EE. Nobody else but you will be able to use them.

Q. How will the server know that my old playernames belong to me, since I will be using an entirely new cdkey?
A. We will generate a list of all playernames with their old/current cdkeys on our server. Since you'll have to put your old nwncdkey.ini file into your new installation (see above), the server will recognise the old cdkey - playername combination in that list and then not only transfer your character bic files, but also link your playername to the new cdkey. If anyone else but you tried to login with your playername, it won't be found in that list, so no character bic files will be transfered, and the player will be booted because the playername is tied to your cdkey already.

Q. What about my RPR and Awards?
A. They will be automatically transfered to your new cdkey, the first time you login to EE with one of your old playernames.

Q. What about my current PCs on Distant Shores?
A. They will remain in your servervault, anything that needs to be migrated from 1.69 will be added, nothing gets lost.

Q. Do you have more details about how this goes with the character bic files moving automatically?
A. Look here: https://www.beamdog.com/nwn_faq#39

Q. How about that eekey field in control panel of the forum?
A. That was a temporary thing to allow people to use their old playernames on Distant Shores. It will be no longer relevant after we fully migrate, and will be removed at some point.

I think that covers everything related to the cdkey-playername-servervault handling, if there are any further questions, post them on the forum and we'll answer them.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: IMPORTANT: 1.69 to EE Servervault Migration

Post by Dunshine » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:56 pm

As much as we regret this, we have to postpone the full migration a bit. There's a couple of important things that really need to work well, before we can go ahead with it.

We'll do our best to migrate as soon as possible (read: within a week or so) and keep you updated in this thread.

We still hope to welcome as many of you as able on our current EE server, Distant Shores, ofcourse!

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:11 pm

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:32 am

Some info on the "invalid character - player login refused" message some of you are experiencing.

You have to play at least 1 of your characters of each of your playernames at least once, to be able to play them with any of your playernames.

When you enter an old playername and the old cdkey is in nwnplayer.ini for that playername your characters bic files get transferred to your new vault immediately, however, if you then don't choose one of those characters and login to Arelith with them, the necessary scripts to update the database for that playername are not exectuted. Which results in those characters still being tied to your old cdkey in the database, while they do show up in your vault.

The checks in the login script are as follows:

1. Grab cdkey tied to playername in the database and match that with the cdkey that was login in with. If that matches, all good. Playername is tied to EE cdkey and you can enter.

2. If not, then it will grab the playername of the PC in the database and checks if that playername matches with the playername that you are logged in with. If so, we know you're the one owning that playername and the scripts will then migrate all characters of that playername to the new cdkey in the database.

3. If not, you'll get the invalid character message.

So several of you have been just logging into the NWN client with your playernames to transfer all the bics, but didn't follow up by loggin into Arelith to complete the migration proces. Hope this clears that up and most of you can fix the issues.

Any other issues so far are because the 2da file I generated which matches old cdkey with old playername, doesn't include your old playername. These will be fixed by me.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Dunshine wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:32 am
Some info on the "invalid character - player login refused" message some of you are experiencing.

You have to play at least 1 of your characters of each of your playernames at least once, to be able to play them with any of your playernames.

When you enter an old playername and the old cdkey is in nwnplayer.ini for that playername your characters bic files get transferred to your new vault immediately, however, if you then don't choose one of those characters and login to Arelith with them, the necessary scripts to update the database for that playername are not exectuted. Which results in those characters still being tied to your old cdkey in the database, while they do show up in your vault.

The checks in the login script are as follows:

1. Grab cdkey tied to playername in the database and match that with the cdkey that was login in with. If that matches, all good. Playername is tied to EE cdkey and you can enter.

2. If not, then it will grab the playername of the PC in the database and checks if that playername matches with the playername that you are logged in with. If so, we know you're the one owning that playername and the scripts will then migrate all characters of that playername to the new cdkey in the database.

3. If not, you'll get the invalid character message.

So several of you have been just logging into the NWN client with your playernames to transfer all the bics, but didn't follow up by loggin into Arelith to complete the migration proces. Hope this clears that up and most of you can fix the issues.

Any other issues so far are because the 2da file I generated which matches old cdkey with old playername, doesn't include your old playername. These will be fixed by me.

The new boot message is: "CD Key or Player Name mismatch. Please attempt logging in with the same Player Name you created the character with."

You will see the above message if you don't play with the player name tied to the character OR if the Player Name is already in use by someone else.

For new characters, if you see no boot message or a delete character boot message that means the player name is in use by another OR, if it's yours, you need to play with one of your old 1.69 characters that were created on that account.

After you successfully had an area load you can log out and play with any name tied to your EE cd-key or completely new account for that character and any other characters tied to that player account.