A letter home

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Gable Morninglord
Arelith Platinum Supporter

A letter home

Post by Gable Morninglord » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:07 am

Dearest Mother,

I hope that my correspondence finds you well. It has been a while since I wrote. I am no longer at a permanent residence, and communication is difficult.

Times have become trying for me, here on the island. My business is doing well, but my other ventures seek to be lacking in momentum. Outside of the coin in my bank, nothing else seems give me any fulfillment or satisfaction.

My Order is in disarray. What was once a powerful brotherhood has dwindled to just a few Brothers and Sisters. Our designated leaders are less and less present, and show no sign of returning any time soon. We have no unity, or direction. These things are vital to the survival of our Order. In way, I must take personal responsibility. A few years ago, I transferred leadership of the Order to our Clergy as planned. Suspicion and infighting arose immediately. Fingers were literally pointed at each other, labeling those across from them “Heretic”. Those who were not favored of the Clergy left the island, fled the Order, or met their deaths under very mysterious circumstances. Even I was not above accusation! Can you believe that…..after 30 years of service to Him, I found myself defending my honor to those whom I gave privilege to only days before. Because of these events, I find that I can no longer truly trust the Brothers and Sister within my Order, and I fear one of them may try to take my life one day. I must always be on guard. I serve Bane eternally, but find that I only honor the position of Imperceptor. None others are deserving.

On other fronts, I am attempting to join the Cordor Guard, once again. However, my application has been delayed due to ridiculous Cordorian politics, and policy. The delay has been months, and I am beginning to think I am being ignored. My messages to those with influence go unanswered, and when I do get a chance to voice my desires, I am met with nothing but insults and suspicion. I tell them that I simply wish to serve honorably, as a soldier. It is all I have ever wanted. Yet, as always in Cordor, I am treated with scorn. Although I have never broken any laws, I am only treated as a criminal and as a lower caste. Their insolence, and insults are intolerable. Their treatment of me is nearly bringing me to my breaking point.

I fear there is no longer a place for me on this island. My enemies grow in numbers, and my allies dwindle. And the line between those groups gets less and less clear. They both leave me confused, and angry.

Perhaps I should find a wife, and have a family. After my time here, I could easily support them. There is room in my heart for others. However, the love that I had once found is gone, certain never to return.

Sometimes I considering returning home, and wonder what it would be like to be with you. Do you think that my brothers would allow my return? Certainly my experience would be a blessing to our family. I miss you deeply, and wish you would be proud of me. If you only knew what I knew. If you only saw the things I have done, I know you would be proud.

I eagerly await your correspondence.

Your loving son,

Justian Fearshald
Man of Action.

Gable Morninglord

Re: A letter home

Post by Gable Morninglord » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:26 am

To the Honorable Karoline Fearshald,

Things have been looking up since my last letter.

Our Order is still in disarray. It is in shambles, actually. It kills me to know that all of the work that I have done, and all of the years has gone to waste. Our numbers have dwindled to only a few unorganized members, who all seem to have their own goals and agenda. And, although one has stepped up to claim the position as Imperceptor, I still feel as if none are truly united by him, or our causes. I certainly have not found any reason to trust any of them. We will see what progress is made in the next few months.

On a better note, I have been accepted into the Cordor Guard. The waiting period wore my patience very thin, but in the end I do not believe they could deny the advantages of having me within their ranks. Of course, they were hesitant. But, during my interview, I believe I gave their corporal a taste of a couple things that she does not get very often; Truth, and honesty. Most of my comrades are of the Triad, it seems. And although our philosophies clash, they seem to be sufficient soldiers. There are a couple who have voiced their disapproval of having me within their ranks, but I tolerate them just as I do all of the others who are ignorant of His Dogma and the true benefits He has to offer. It is refreshing to serve within orderly disciplined ranks again. And I truly feel that they consider it a benefit to have me as one of their Brothers in Arms. I did not think I would, but I am starting to feel that way about them.

Of course, they try to turn me away from Him, and question my faith. Can you believe they feel that I should follow Helm?! In my younger years I would have been appalled and offended. I would never join the same order as those who had failed to protect our caravans in the past. Their lack of discipline, desire for coin, and simple laziness were the true causes of Father’s death. And, I swear with all that is good in my heart, I would have come to his aid that fateful night had he allowed me too. If it were up to me, Father would still be alive. Surely, you and my brothers must know that.

I hope that my words once again find you well. And, that you may consider visiting me sometime, even after all these years.

I will write again soon.

Your loving son,
Justian Fearshald
Dreadknight of Bane and Cordorian Guardsman Private
Man of Action.

Gable Morninglord

Post by Gable Morninglord » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:30 am

Dearest Mother,

My apologies for taking so long to write again. I will try to be a bit more punctual with my correspondence.

I have recently seen so many wonders on this island. I find it imperative that you visit here someday. One of my closer acquaintances took me to a place that I could only imagined or read about it children’s books. I am not aware of what the place was called, but was a magical place which allowed me to visit numerous different planes of existence. While in these planes, time and the physical laws of nature were affected differently, depending on which plane you visited.
I only had the time to visit a strange plane of water, where I was confined to a pocket of air. There were many strange creatures which lived on the plane that swarmed around me, watching me as if I were an animal in a menagerie.

I also visited a plane which seemed to be a place where time originated. A place with huge gears, and mechanisms that constantly moved. Yet, while within the place, time seemed to stand still. It was a place of great order, where every piece served a purpose and had a place. It was truly fascinating. I must return to this network of planes again, and investigate further, for I saw a place that I could clearly identify as something I had seen in my head. The place that fills my head while I meditate and worship at the Altar. It is the place where my Lord resides. And, where I will eventually meet with him, and fight by his side and be enveloped within his protective darkness. It felt like was so close. And it only re-affirms my faith, that all of my hard work and perseverance will pay off.

My employment remains the same for the Cordor Guard. I have received no further promotions. But, I remain one of the most hardworking, and experienced soldiers. I am convinced they will see my value soon and perhaps offer me a promotion. However, I still struggle with my relationships with the others. They remain condescending, and suspicious of my motives. I am certain they place themselves in ranks above me, simply because they resent my experience and abilities. They must do so in order to reassure themselves that they are of greater value. It is sad, that they must do so. In many ways, I pity them.

I will write more later, Mother. Until then it will be business as usual for me with the guard. I truly hope that you will respond to my letter this time. I am certain that you are receiving my correspondence and that you love for me is as great as it ever was. Please, re-assure me.

Your Loving Son,

Private Justian Fearshald
Man of Action.

Gable Morninglord

Post by Gable Morninglord » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:45 pm

My Dearest Mother Karoline Fearshald,

It is beginning to be a regular occurrence for me to write you and simply complain to you of my struggles here on the Island. I fear this letter will be no different.

The recent untimely death of an associate of mine has me particularly troubled. The Elven woman had been an enemy of my Order, until many of our theocratic and philosophic discussions transformed into more of an intellectual adversary…..and ultimately, I fear to admit, into a friend.

The woman helped me mature as a man, and learn to think more freely as a person. During our discussions and debates, she was admittedly attempting to turn me away from my faith. But, in doing so she was forced to realize the nature of my commitment to Him, and to ultimately respect the honor which His strength and wisdom has bestowed upon me.

Many of the conversations I had with her left me red faced in anger, and even wanting to strike her down. Although, I never felt that she had gained an advantage on me, or made claims that I could not refute. Walking away from these discussions of contest, I always considered myself a victor. In time I realized there was something that kept me responding to her taunts, messages, and meeting with her; she cared. She cared not for me as a Banite, Dreadknight, or Soldier…..but as a person. She cared for me as a human. She cared much for me as my brothers cared for me when I was younger, and advised me much as any sibling would. Granting me her knowledge, and opinions, but then allowing me to make informed decisions without judgement. I have not known this type of compassion in many years, and it is definitely something that is in short supply here on Arelith.

Beyond her absence and missing her counsel, her passing poses other struggles and dangers for me. I made assurances to her that I would contact her family in the event of her untimely death. My sense of honor and respect for her now compels me to do so. In the near future I will pen a letter to her mother and father, explaining confusing events that led to her demise.

I will also confirm, for them, her final resting place after laying my eyes on her body one more time. Her remains are rumored to be laid in the ancient Elven burial grounds, near a protected Elven city. As you can imagine, its location is ancient and well protected. After many wars, and disputes the Elves have had with myself and others who are guided by the Black Hand, they will assuredly be resistant to my visit there. I can only assume that they will give their lives in order to stop me. This is a sacrifice that I will make in order to fulfill my promise to her.

I will correspond in later weeks in order to rest your mind, and assure you on my safe return. Until then, although you resist his influence, know that Bane guides my hand and protects me.

Your Loving Son,

Justian Fearshald
Man of Action.

Gable Morninglord

Post by Gable Morninglord » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:31 am

Dearest Mother,

As I pen this letter, my hand shakes with anger. There is not enough paper on this island that would allow me the space to adequately express my frustration.

Against my advice, Cordorian leaders have chosen to enter a futile war with another Settlement on the island. Largely in part to allying themselves to other leaders who are morally corrupt, heretics, and liars. This war places me in a very difficult position where, if an attack were to happen in Cordor, I would be unable to support them and perform the duties I have sworn to them.

I have served the Guard for nearly five years now, and there is still no sign that they value my service, respect my experience, or will ever come to their senses and promote me into higher rank. They are condescending and disrespectful, allowing even the recruits to mock me and speak to me as if I were no more than a stray dog.

I have also lost another valuable friend, under very strange circumstances. I believe that she was killed by one of the local Tempurian Knights, in a most dishonorable manner. I have begun questioning their leaders, but I believe they are avoiding me. I think they are withholding information, and protecting the assailant. The battle crazy flock speaks of honor, ridiculous duels, and proper terms of engagement. But, when faced with questions and protecting their flock they become ignorant fools and imbeciles.

My patience grows very thin with the others around me who lack discipline and morals. I vow to get to the bottom of this murder. Even if I have to question every Tempurian on the isle myself.

I beg you mother, please consider my request to visit. I would love to see you, and I long for your warm embrace.

I will write again soon.

Your Son,

Justian
Man of Action.

Gable Morninglord

Post by Gable Morninglord » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:17 am

Dear Justian,

Please refrain from sending any more correspondence to our Mother. You have done enough damage already. She remains in good physical health, but the letters she receives from you drive her into despair.

Is it not enough that you are partly responsible for Father’s death? Do you wish to deprive us of our remaining sane and healthy parent, and the matriarch of our family? Your faith and worship of the Lord of Tyranny and Fear has been the undoing of this family. We will not allow you to continue communication at the detriment of her well-being.

We have rebuilt our families without you. We have done this in spite of you, actually. Here at home, she is protected by her two remaining sons and surrounded by her healthy grandchildren. We are protected by the Watcher, and the restructured Order of Helm. His vigilance ensures our survival and happiness. We remain faithful to Him.

She wants nothing to do with your Dark Lord, or Black Gauntlet. Tyranny, Fear and Oppression will never be our salvation Justian. Learn to live with that. Turn away from Bane, and there may be a chance that you will be accepted back. If you stay in the darkness, we shall forever remain estranged.

In final conclusion, do not return home Brother. Bane has taken you from us, and has killed our father. And now threatens to take our Mother. We will not allow this to happen. If you attempt to return to her as a Banite, you will be killed.

Regretfully,

Your Brothers, Jared and Jericho Fearshald
Man of Action.

Gable Morninglord

Post by Gable Morninglord » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:04 am

To Ember and The Gallows family,

It has been many months since our last correspondence, and I regret so much time has gone by. There have been a number of things going on here at the isle that have been taking my attention away from regular communication.

I have yet to hear back from my Mother. It’s been over a year since she has sent a letter, and I am certain my brothers are keeping mine from her. They have always been resentful. Or, perhaps they are forcibly keeping her from writing me. I do not know, but I am often tempted to leave my responsibilities here on Arelith and return to her. I’m confident, if I could only see them face to face, that my family would allow me to visit her.

My tenure with the Cordor Guard has ended. I regretfully resigned less than a month from the date of this letter. I had finally been promoted to the rank of Commander, but was only able to serve for a short period of time before the force was dissolved. It has since been converted into a “Security and Militia” force run by the Chancellor. I served with them for a very short time, but this recent war against Wharftown has exposed them as inadequate, and a number of their lower ranks act irrationally, and without thinking. I hope to retain good relations with Cordor, but I cannot tarnish my good name, and risk all of the effort I have put in only to have them ruined by those who are ignorant, and undeserving.

After hearing these things, you probably assume that I am in low spirits, yet things could not be better. The woman I love has recently returned to the isle to be with me. I was elated when she told me she was staying. Yet, I could not take a risk that she would be leaving again. So, I have asked the woman to be my wife, and she has accepted. Finally, after these many years, we will be together and potentially have a family. My mother would be so proud, and I am certain she would be as fond of my betrothed as I am. I have vowed never to leave the woman again, and I will remain by her whether our destiny keeps us here on the isle, or takes us back to the mainland.

I hope that one day I may visit you, and your family. Your letters are uplifting, and I sense your happiness when I read them. You have the life that many could only be jealous of, and I wish to witness it in person someday. Give my respects to your husband, and tell the young ones that Uncle Justian says “hello”.

With Love and Respect,

Justian Fearshald
First Knight of Bane.
Man of Action.