Azrael Predikator - What real justice means...

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Machado

Azrael Predikator - What real justice means...

Post by Machado » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:16 am

There are no right men, only the right side.

I decided a long time ago that I would not be satisfied with just half measures. However, it wasn't always like this.

I have been merciful before, but I am old enough to know that whoever spares the wolf sacrifices the sheep. I don't remember exactly when I started to see things more clearly, but I'm sure it was in Kara-Tur. To meet that abyssal enforcer and joined forces with her opened better ways to fullfil an old oath. A story for another time, I think.

It was there that I learned that evil cannot be treated with mere penance. It must be extirpated without mercy and at any cost. Maybe that's why the church insisted so much on my ordination as a cleric. As a mere paladin I would never cross the borders I went through.

The tolerance of my leaders is due solely to the success I achieved in Kara-Tur. Their debt was paid in full and they shedded enough blood to satisfy the scales of justice. Someone needs to get their hands dirty for the world to be a little cleaner. I don't care about their opinions confined within their beautiful temples, as long as they don't try to stop me from doing what needs to be done. Justice at any price.

Machado

Re: Azrael Predikator - What real justice means...

Post by Machado » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:14 pm

I don't need to justify my actions to anyone other than Tyr, but I don't want my actions to become an obstacle to the faith of the most naive. Maybe that's why I feel the need to explain my choice of companionship.

I met Avandra when we were imprisoned by the warlock in Kara Tur. We recognize ourselves as distorted images of each other, fighting for similar ideals on opposite sides.

It's a long story to be told with a dry throat, but together we achieved what we were looking for in that place. Justice. She persecuted him for having deceived others into making an abysmal pact against their wishes. I wanted him for sacrificing those fools. As I said, same ideals, opposite sides... The experience gave clarity to both of us and we realized that some limits must be overcome to really make a difference in this world. And even enemies can be turned into allies if the cause is just. Although I have noticed a strict code of conduct in Avandra, I still sleep with my eyes open... I'm sure she does too.

Machado

Post by Machado » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:43 pm

We finally arrived in Cordor. Obviously, I keep Avandra away from the local population. Naivety and prejudice are a dangerous combination that can end us both. On the other hand, I wouldn't want anyone to develop tolerance and affection for creatures of her kind... the status quo has its importance sometimes.

I still don't know the rules of the game or the players in Condor yet. Knowing who is who and seeing through innuendo takes time. The best strategy is to do the "cleaning work". Places to visit, things to kill and thus restore order to the surroundings, while I watch to distinguish friends from foes. Not all evil wears monstrous faces...

Machado

Post by Machado » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:45 pm

When you live among monsters, you become one of them.

Yesterday I met someone who reminded me of someone I used to be many years ago. Meeting Albet Rayne in Cordor disturbed my sleep. I spent so much time focusing on hunting and exterminating evil beings that I slowly forgot that justice is served by punishing the bad, but also preserving the good.

Rayne and others dedicate all their days helping newcomers to the city. Covering all expenses, they offer equipment, weapons, potions and everything else that can help newcomers to live another day.

I couldn't believe, at first, that everything was just generosity and goodwill, without any strings attached or waiting for compensation later. So I did what I usually do. Investigate to discover the secrets behind appearances and polite speech. What I discovered surprised me. Either this group is more cunning than all the others, or it really does what it says and sees done. By Tyr, there is still goodness left in this world.

Maybe Avandra is influencing me more than I imagined and I started to see only dirt and corruption in everything and everyone. I need to restore my balance. I think it's time to take up the shield, and not just the sword in the name of justice.