A High Watcher’s Pilgrimage

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

D4wN

A High Watcher’s Pilgrimage

Post by D4wN » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:44 am

As she looked down with concern on her sick life partner, Emma offered Dregan a small herbal drink. “It will help soothe the stomach”. The salt air rushed through her hair and the crew was hard at work behind them. Being at sea was nothing new for Emma, she could easily focus on the good smells rather than the bad ones. She could ignore the bouncing of the waves and the crass comments from the crew. But this was the first time she travelled with someone she deeply cared for who was not coping well. She wanted to be there for Dregan as best she could. Her skill in medicine certainly came in handy now.

“We don’t have long to go now. Just a little longer ceela”. Perhaps a few more hours, a day or two at most, and she would finally see Roderick again. She would be able to show Dregan the streets of Waterdeep. Where she cured those sick children all those years ago and the house she grew up in until her parents passed away. She could let her taste her favourite meals and inns and show her Helm’s Hall in the South Ward of Waterdeep where she lived after her parents died.

Helm’s Hall in a way it wasn’t too dissimilar from her own Church in Cordor. The historic stone building was constructed nearly two centuries ago to care for the orphans and widows of deceased adventurers. It was quite fitting for Emma to find her own Church attached to the Almshouse and Orphanage of Cordor. Here in Helm’s Hall Roderick was still High Watcher although he was retired now. Roderick trained her when she moved to Helm’s Hall all those years ago, but their bond was stronger than that of just a teacher and their student. Emma always looked up to him, she saw him as her father, and she cared deeply for him. She knew it was only because of this bond she was not excommunicated that day.

Frowning at that thought and thinking of everything that happened in recent times, perhaps she would have preferred that. It would have certainly been easier. But had she been excommunicated; she would have never made the journey to Arelith and she would have never met Dregan. Or any of those other people she had come to care deeply for. Jensen, Tera, Berenor, Wulf, Sergor and many others. A slight smile appeared on her face as she wrapped her arms around Dregan and looked out over the sea as the slight contours of the city appeared faintly at the horizon. “Almost there”.
Last edited by D4wN on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

D4wN

Re: A High Watcher’s Pilgrimage

Post by D4wN » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:13 am

Emma stood in front of the window in Roderick’s office as she had many times before. Calmly watching below as several children play outside her hands dutifully clasped behind her back she recited in solemn words quietly:

“Never betray your trust. Be vigilant. Stand, wait, and watch carefully. Be fair and diligent in the conduct of your orders. Protect the weak, poor, injured, and young, and do not sacrifice them for others or yourself. Anticipate attacks and be ready. Know your foes. Care for your weapons so they may perform their duties when called upon. Careful planning always defeats rushed actions in the end. Always obey orders, providing those orders follow the dictates of Helm. Demonstrate excellence and purity of loyalty in your role as a guardian and protector.”

Roderick nodded and smiled slightly to her from his chair watching her turn about “That’s right Emma, you seem to recall it word for word each time like the day you took your oath.” Knitting his brow and looking to the young woman, “It seems the time you have spent on the island has been troubling. From what you told me I would have made different decisions yes. But I am not the one in charge of the Church on Arelith. Neither is this… Anaria, nor Celica, or anyone else. Emma, the burden of leadership is a great one as you have come to understand. It is why this is the most fitting Purification for you. An opportunity for you to come to know this burden and most of all for you to grow and learn. We all make mistakes Emma, but I know that every decision you took in the past few years has been with nothing but Helm’s Dogma in mind.” His pause came briefly, taking a sip from the glass on his desk before looking up at the woman with a gaze of fatherly admiration.

“You have given your word to those who sought your protection and I would declare that you have not betrayed their trust. You gained yourself a powerful yet dangerous informant so that you may anticipate attacks and be ready. You have studied your foes through information and seeking them out on the battlefield. Countless hours you say you have patrolled the roads on this island to guard and protect those who may travel upon it.” Roderick stood up from his chair and stretched his back making his way to Emma who still stood glancing out the window.

“I am under constant scrutiny Roderick. People constantly question my actions and decisions. I kept Aurin around for without him I am blind. His ways were vastly different from my own and he has made terrible choices, but deep down I know he is not a bad man. Without him many innocent lives would have been lost and most will never even know how much he gave up for that. Besides, no one else has been able to give me that level of information. Had he not been there we would have never known about the Void Cultists’ plans. Without him and his wife we would have never known about the corruption of the previous election in Cordor, the leak of information, the Rakshasa, the Velsharoon. Without him I’d be none the wiser on anything that goes on below. What good is a High Watcher that cannot see? What good is a High Watcher unable to anticipate and plan for attacks who has no idea what goes on? Without this information I am but a soldier, ready to be deployed when it’s already too late” Emma closed her eyes and took a deep breath in as Roderick placed his hand on her back during her lamentations.

“Emma, you have an entire army at your ready. You have a great many people who care for you and many allies. Lean on them more. Your success does not depend on a single person. You may lose one of your greatest assets, but he is not your only one” he counsels gently, letting the hand rest for a time upon her shoulder.

“Roderick.” Emma paused and looked at him. “I am scared. I am scared to fail. I am scared to let the people of Cordor down. The people of Arelith. I am scared the Church will fall apart. The Insanity Engine mission ended as terribly as the mission that sent me to Arelith in the first place. You say I was sent here to learn, but I feel I keep making the same mistakes. I feel I am lost without your guidance. I might well find myself at war when I return with the same people who are supposed to be on the same side. For things they don’t even understand.” Silencing herself for a few moments, her gaze breaks away looking down.

Roderick nods “Emma, you have always been patient to seek understanding. Sometimes you can be too understanding. You have always tried to see the good in people and look beyond what they are or what they have done in the past. What you need to understand also however is that not everyone thinks as you do. Not everyone has a kind heart like yours. And before you say it, no it does not make you weak. It makes you open-minded and forgiving. You gave those people a safe home and sanctuary where others would have never. You must also believe in those who have chosen to follow you. A few decisions deemed bad through the eyes of others, should not waiver their faith in you”. Roderick steps back, his elderly body spreading its arms wide in a small demonstration.

“These people stayed on the righteous path because you were willing to give them a chance. You will always find yourselves at odds with people who think and believe differently from you. It doesn’t make you wrong, it doesn’t make them right. What is truly important however is that you stay true to yourself. You keep fighting for what you believe in. No matter the doubt, no matter the criticism. You will always face this, every leader does.” He pauses for a few moments, turning back to her with a calm expression on his face.

“Or, do you believe this Anaria never faces criticism of her own? Or your Chancellor Derlson? Every decision they make or action they take will be questioned, criticized by those who believe differently than they do. It is a fact of leadership. But they too will do what is right for their people, they too will make decisions you will not understand and go against what you believe. All you can ever do is to continue to fight for your own beliefs and protect the people you care about. Let Helm be your guide.”

Roderick walked back to his chair and slowly sinking down into it. For a brief moment he looked so fragile and old but it was a mere quick glimpse before he returned to the strong warrior he once was. “Emma, you know of Helm’s history. You understand the struggles we of Helm’s faith had to endure and still do each day. He fulfilled his duty as only Helm knows how to. You continue to fulfill your duty as only you know how to. We continue to fight for those who cannot defend themselves. We continue to be the entrusted guardians even when we are not wanted. Even when all those around us doubt our decisions and actions, all those of His faith know what they fight for. And will continue to do so. Be their beacon, be their guide as Helm is yours.”

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled