Lawbringer Ruwen Penchant

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

halfpastdead

Lawbringer Ruwen Penchant

Post by halfpastdead » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:24 am

I will begin this journal as I begin a new life, in tatters. I don’t have much but a sword and a passage on this boat to Cordor.

I have fled my country of Cormyr after my father died under unusual circumstances and my family was dishonored. I’ve escaped to find a viable life elsewhere, yet knowing that my name could taint my reputation, so I will keep this to himself. A part of me just wants peace and enough gold to enjoy a warm tavern but another wants me to make a name for myself and raise my family’s crest once more. I have been working in the back alleys of large settlements, as a fisherman, a smith or some other task. Working but for never more than what I need.

I was considered an initiate in my order when I fled my home, I know enough of fighting to herd cattle but I do know the lore that my father taught me. My style is the same as his, a heavy sword and no quarter against evil. My early lessons and upbringing as a warrior and priest were not by choice, but it was me who wanted to answer the calling of a paladin. Freezing in this boat was not what I had in mind. I am not above some dirty work, but I prefer to keep clean.

Let me tell you about being a Lawbringer and why I am so apprehensive about being one.

The Lawbringers are a recent order of paladins originally founded in Cormyr, they are considered heretics and few in number. Their symbol is an encircled eight pointed star, yellow in color on a black banner. They believe only in divine law, and they are the bringers of this law, guided by the will of Torm as interpreted by them. This is their code. This was meant originally to be an order that transcends kingdoms and brings justice to those throughout Toril, while trying to not get entangled in politics or local law or anything that would otherwise hinder the apprehension or execution of an individual. It has since evolved into a more fervent mentality that has allowed for some to think that they are the law. While not particularly ignoring a kingdom’s laws, the Lawbringer places the order’s code first and may take steps to see that this is done wherever he may be. Being a Lawbringer is akin to being a judge and executioner, they are hunters of all forms of evil, but one can easily cross the line and go too far.

My father always told me that there was no justice in this world, that justice was a thing only the poor suffered. That only in the next world will we see it done. I can’t accept that. I want people to have justice, I’m just not sure how far I’m willing to go to see it done.

I’ve giving too much thought about being a Lawbringer, I almost forget that being a paladin alone is enough to get you killed in certain circles. I’ve got to keep this well hidden, lest the evil eye befalls me.

Soon I’ll be landing in Cordor, I certainly hope Torm favors me going forward and that some luck comes my way.