Letters Home - Perry Button

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Letters Home - Perry Button

Post by Eira » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 am

Dear Pa,

Oh gee, I don't even know where to start!

First off, I hope that you and Ma are alright, and Perle, and Pursee, and Pirf, and Perni, and Puff. I know they were awful mad after I disappeared, but I couldn't help it! After all, if two buttons can hold a coat together, imagine what FIVE Buttons can do to their brother! But Pear is with me! We've been helping each other through all sorts of things, and well, dang if she ain't getting better as a priestess as well. You'd be really proud of her, I know it.

This nice lady at the Arcane Tower is gonna teach Pear how to read better, and even do math! She near cried the other day, but oh whoops dang sorry that were smudged, Pear were almost reading over my shoulder. But anyway, she near cried when she couldn't count to five right. I know that's always been hard for her, and I know that me trying to help always seems to muck it up somehow. But once she does, everything will be better! She can write home too, and I won't have to do it for her! And we're seeing so much coin these days, that it'll be nice when I don't got to carry it all. I was even able to buy new armor! Golly, it were great.

Speaking of, do you know who the Zhentarim are? People here don't seem to like Lord Bane much, and well gee you can't hear it, but I just chuckled a bit to myself then, but he is rather terrifying, and I do understand that folk don't like what they fear cause they just haven't learned yet, and it really is a shame. And we been getting all sorts saying that we're gonna murder others or summon undead and devils just because we're proper godfearers! It's been rather rude, honestly. But you do know, we sure are Buttons and if we gotta be nice to them rude folks, we will!

Pear has been having a harder time of it, she really gets angry easy, but I'm there to make sure nothing bad happens. I been getting better at the sword each day, and training so hard, sometimes I feel like there isn't nothing I can do! Oh sorry, isn't anything. I know Ma spent a lot of time trying to teach me out of that, I forget sometimes. There's been so much exciting things going on here. We're going to be heading to this place called Minmir soon, to see the Church of Lord Bane there. I do hope it isn't full of murderers like everyone says, I really don't much know what we'd do if they were pretenders rather than true Banites.

But I have faith. Law and order always show themselves true, and the forces of chaos sure won't stand for long, no sirree!

Tell Ma that I love her and miss her, and that I'm doing my best to find a nice lad to bring home. There's an awful lot of pretty people here, oh gee, I think Pear been noticing them too, though she always turns red if I mention it, like there was this one- The writing trails off into indecipherable scribbles and splotches.

Well, I best be going off. Pear and I were just having a sit down before our next job.

Love you lots and lots and lots.
Perry Button

Oh! Sorry, Pear spilled ink on my letter cause she were listening over my shoulder again. She says hello! And that she gets angry because Lord Bane is all she lives by, so wouldn't you get angry if people disrespected your entire life? Yeah, I guess I would.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Letters Home - Perry Button

Post by Eira » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 am

Dear Pa,

Remember how you and Ma always say "if your feet are wet, you can't get get!"

Well, I been thinking about that a lot when here. It's been raining lots and lots, so I'm always sure to be going out and finding work while the ground's still wet. Cuz, well, you know, I cant get got! Oh golly, it were raining when Pear and I did this thing at this place (I can't really talk about it because Pear might get upset again) but we were being chased by this angry radiant lady and this, well I think it were called an Archon, and gee I thought we'd be got for sure! But as soon as we went through the stream, I knew, and well I didn't mention it to Pear at first because oh gee, she was running too fast for the portal, but I knew we wouldn't get got.

And I were all invisible right by that dog-faced Archon man, so of course he didn't get me, and well, I did swear an oath not to harm anyone in the place and I didn't, so really, it weren't like we did anything that you would disapprove of, right? After all, you can't get got if you don't get caught!

Pear and I are really good at not getting get.

We made it to the Church of Bane finally! Cordor is the loveliest city, and we met a priestess of Loviatar who led us, another Banite priest, and this orcblood who wanted to learn that Bane was strong enough to fear. It really was a long journey, but golly, nothing could stand between us and the Church! And when we got there, the High Inquisitor himself was there to greet us, with all his congregation, and Pa, I shiver just to think of it, to think Pear and I were blessed enough to come across the priestess when we did!

It don't feel right to talk about the sermon afterwards, but it went on for two days at least I think, and by the end of it, Pear an' I really were blessed under Bane, and the High Inquisitor even wanted to talk with Pear himself! I think she'll learn a lot more than Deadly Adept Vinkas could teach, I mean he has guided us Buttons for years, but he sure isn't High Inquisitor!

That got me to thinking, that I really do need to get better at protecting Pear. There's been a lot of talk of war and violence, and seems like everyone is spreading slander about Bane and the Church. We been keeping our heads down so far, like I don't want Pear to be attacked by some of them Radiant folk or Frostblades that been causing all sorts of ruckus! I been good enough so far, and I really am a good guard for Pear, I swears to it, honest.

I do sorta worry, like the High Inquisitor ain't the happiest about us being hin, but really, I do guess we are kinda odd ones out as hin go. And we do got a lotta people saying odd things like how we can't be godfearers cuz we aren't human, but that's just strange talk! Anyone can fear Bane, really. And as great great great Granpappy learned, obey and submit or be crushed, and gee we sure are lucky that we weren't squisht along with him! And if Pear and I gotta be the ones to prove that not all hin are lawless thugs, then by golly we will!

Oh gee, it seems wrong, but during the sermon, this lad were singing, and I coulda sworn I felt all weird in me chest and I coulda cried if it weren't strange to do so in front of Lord Bane's altar. He really is beautiful, but gee, I shoulda been focusing on the sermon and the words, not, well, you know. I didn't learn his name, but I hope to.

Much love to you and Ma and all the Buttons.
Perry

Akorae

Reena Welkins - Dead

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Git Get - Perry Button

Post by Eira » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:34 am

“If yer feet are wet, ya can’t git get!” the halfling muttered to himself as he trotted swiftly across through the morning forest.

The steady din of rain had faltered nearly an hour before, and though the above branches weighed heavily with damp and droplets still fell sparsely, it was soon letting up. It was oddly quiet now. The hafling slowed as he approached a bridge, a grin lighting up his already cheerful face.

“And if ya don’t git got,” Perry continued, adjusting the heavy blade of his scimitar on his shoulder, “ya can’t git caught!”

Sidestepping around the bridge, he splashed across the stream, pausing for a moment as water swirled around his steel-clad feet.

“Alright, my feet are wet!” the halfling called out, lowering his weapon from his shoulder and peering about. “You can try to get me now!”

Perry turned slowly in a circle, movements small and slow as he shifted about. But for the gurgling of the stream through rocks and faint scraping of his armor, the forest stayed quiet. Peaceful, almost.

“Oh!”

His face lit up as he, having an idea, thrust the scimitar in a two-handed stab above his head.

A moment passed.

A splotch of greenish-black ichor dropped onto Perry’s forehead, dripping down his nose. He screwed up his face, looking up to see the very large and very shocked- well, he couldn’t easily decipher the expressions on the face of a giant spider, but the halfling figured that a sword in the face would shock anyone. With a grunt and surge of strength, he thrust forward and down, ripping the scimitar the rest of the way out of the spider.

“See?” the halfling said triumphantly, attempting to shake ichor off his blade. “Can’t git got!”

He then looked up to see the rest of the spiders scurrying down the trees, and laughed out loud, planting his feet firmly. The weapon returned to its perch on his shoulder, and Perry waited for the first spider to approach.

It did so swiftly, heading straight for him as two others broke off to the sides to surround the halfling. With a strangled squeak as he ducked low to avoid the swipe of a bristly leg, Perry drew a wand from his belt. Another laugh as he waved it in a pattern, that was cut off by a second leg that slammed into his side. Magical shields sparked and held, and the spider hissed, lurching back.

The magic of the wand, however, took longer to form, shadows seeping from the ground to coalesce into a silhouette. It matched his next laugh with a silent one before lunging forward to sink claws of darkness into the side of a spider.

In a blur of blade and cloak and ichor, the figures of the halfling and his shadow seemed as one as they dodged and weaved around the giant spiders. More and more enemies dropped down from the trees, to join the mess of severed legs and water splashing up. Perry twirled and slashed, his wide grin never fading as he laughed aloud once more.

That laugh cut off mid-breath as a leg caught him in the chest, sending the halfling flying backwards to skid across the mossy forest floor. He panted a moment before scrambling to his feet, sword raised in front of him.

“I may be out of the water,” Perry called to the spider that now approached on an odd number of legs, “but my feet are still wet!”

A baleful hiss was the only reply, and with a nod, the hin rushed forward.

The sun had moved a good distance across the sky when the forest was peaceful once more. Perry stood across from his shadow, making faces at it, when the magic finally faded. He was alone again, with nothing but spider corpses and his sword, the latter thickly coated in ichor and other such goop. With a sigh, he trudged on back to the stream, making sure to splash his feet about before bending down to clean the blade.

When finished, Perry dropped to his knees, still in the stream, and clasped his hands together.

“Praise be to Lord Bane,” he said clearly, his usual grin having faded now. “Your terror and strength feed my blade. I, a mere slave, am blessed to be a tool of your Hand. Through your grace, I survive another battle, and live to crush those who wish to spread violence and lawlessness in this land.”

His chin drops briefly before the hin hops up back to his feet and continues on. He starts whistling a jaunty tune, a skip entering his step.

A faint slosh sounded from within his steel boots.

Akorae

Reena Welkins - Dead

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Sun May 12, 2019 10:20 am

Dear Pa,

I think I lost Pear! I don’t know how I done it, but I kept looking and looking and she weren’t in sight no more. I really don’t know how it happened, one moment she were there, and well, I suppose I already said all that. Or wrote it. Golly, I’m all out of sorts right now. It were my fault she followed me here and I know I promised to keep an eye on, her, but I should have kept two eyes on her.

I do hope she didn’t get got! That would be awful! But I gotta trust in her and in Lord Bane. If Pear is dead, I suppose she weren’t worthy enough of his blessing after all. Not like me. I’m strong and I don’t get got or caught and I’m really really faithful always. I gotta be! It were Pear who really taught me how to pray good every day so if I am good I honor both her and the Dark One.

I haven’t had any luck finding a husband yet (you don’t have to tell Ma that yet, I don’t want to disappoint her) but I’ll try even harder than I were before. I want you and Ma to be proud of me, I really do. So I’ll keep looking and I’ll keep trying cause that’s the Button way!

I’ve been killing lots of monsters and nasty sorts too. What if I even sent things back from what I kill for you and Ma! Wouldn’t you love to make Minotaur horn buttons? Or wyvern scale buttons? I think I will when I send home some coin. I really want to help our family thrive. It’s the least I can do after I left and lost Pear and all of that.

I’ve been thinking of stories lots. You remember that one about the boy who kept lying about a wolf? I got an idea when I was gonna fight this castle full of goblins. I hid in a tree and pretended to be one of their scouts and I called out “werewolves, werewolves!” cause this lady and I actually saw a werewolf there once but we ran away so quick before it could get us. And all the goblins ran away right by where I were hiding! They were so scared they didn’t even see me and cause I’m also really really good at hiding.

So I killed them all. Cause in the story, when the boy tries to lie too much, they start to not believe him and he ends up all gobbled up by wolves. But if no one who heard the trick is left alive, then really it can work forever and ever. I think that was the boy’s mistake. He should have tried harder to cover what he was doing more. If he had killed someone or made wolf tracks around, they would have believed him more. But I think he wasn’t very smart. Not like me!

But I wouldn’t do something like that to innocent townsfolk, no siree! Only to nasty little chaotic things like goblins and orcs and bugbears. But there’s not much I can get from goblins to send home. They got gems and jewelry and such, but it smells so awfully I wouldn’t want to send it to you and Ma. I think Ma would hate it!

But they do got lots of magic things. I especially love finding scrolls. Pear would laugh at how much I love wands but I can’t help it! I just do love wands. Especially the ones that make me invisible! I’m already so sneaky and quiet but I can walk anywhere when invisible! I need to get better with buying scrolls though. I don’t like spending much money but some of the really really wonderful spells can’t be used with wands. I wish they could.

I do miss Pear, oh gee. It is nice to have a priestess to help me heal my wounds and protect us in battle and tell me when I’m being a dumb dumb like Pear always did. She would always run into battle where I couldn’t protect her and her darn bear would always get in my way and I’d get so mad at her, but it’s cause I love her and want to protect her. She’s my sister! I gotta care about her and Buttons always stick together.

Well I guess I should go. I gotta pray before supper. I’m not too great at wording my prayers, Pear were always better, but Bane hasn’t sent horrors to kill me and spread my entrails across the land, so I suppose I’m doing alright! I suppose I wouldn’t know he’s displeased with me until his favor leaves me in battle and I die, but, well, I’m really good at not dying.

Love and hugs and kisses,
Perry

P.S.
I promise I’ll find Pear again! I’m sure she isn’t dead. She probably got lost because she still can’t read too well and signs would just confuse her. There’s this nice lady in this place (I think Pear is in love with her) that I could ask for help.

Akorae

Reena Welkins - Dead

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 am

Dear Pa,

I’m starting to think that the adventuring life ain’t all I thought it were gonna be. It is really rather lonely, and while I guess I don’t got a shortage of folk to run around with, they sure ain’t like family. I just can’t help but think of you and Ma and all the little Buttons and wonder if this were really the right choice for me. I guess it is rather late to be having second thoughts, but this is the first time I’ve really had the chance to slow down and have even first thoughts about it. I been so used to just doing what I felt and not really caring, or rather, letting Pear care about things for me, I just didn’t expect it to ever change.

I were going to this sorta temple place with this man I met; the one who forged me the sword I’m carrying now. It were great and he were so strong and he even yelled at me when I were running through all sorts of traps (I didn’t get got by any of them, I’m really good at dodging them) so it were just like being with Pear all over again. But we got to this chamber and there were all sorts of monsters and I ran forward into them and, well, I guess I died.

When I came to, he were standing over me with scroll in hand and he started yelling at me and my head hurt so much and I couldn’t help it, I just, well forget that. I didn’t cry, not at all. I don’t do that, it ain’t the Button way and I’m the Buttonest of all Buttons and even when it’s really really scary and awful and I feel all alone and someone is yelling at me, the last thing I ever do is cry. And, well, he were right. Pear got the brains and I got the foolish and even when he told me to stay back and let him handle the brunt of the battle, I didn’t listen. And I really shoulda listened.

We went on to another chamber, but he took one look at all the demons there (I think they were called Balors) and yelled for me to run and we done then scarpered on out of there.

I don’t really know what to do now. I think he forgave me; I tried to pay him back for the scroll he used to revive me, but he weren’t having nonna that. And we went back to the tavern to get food and we talked and I learned about him and he learned about me. He called me odd, but y’know, every sort of folk calls us odd when they’re with us, don’t they? And it weren’t like he were one of them awful judgy folks who think I deserve to be killed for worshipping Lord Bane. I even told him the story of great-great-great-great-great-great gran’ma and how our family made the right choice when our ol’ great-great-great-great-great-great gran’pappy were killed.

I guess now I’m thinking of coming home for a spell. I really do miss you and the family, and it sure has been a long while since I’ve seen anyone else of the congregation around. But I do feel sorta lonely and kinda lost and I just want to figure out what to do. Perhaps I could even talk with Deadly Adept Vinkas for some idea of what Lord Bane would like me to do. I been killing and killing a lot, but I ain’t been doing all the bringing law and order. So I really should.

I dunno. Looking forward to your next letter, Pa. You always know when to put me right and set me straight. But I don’t think it would be a bad thing for me to visit home.

Lots of love and hugs and kisses all around, especially to Perle (for her birthday),
Perry

Akorae

Reena Welkins - Dead