A Long Break

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Richørd

A Long Break

Post by Richørd » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:26 am

I wake up.

Turning over. Eyes opening. I see planks. Miniscule rays of light shining through. I press my ear against the wood to my left.

As usual.

Creaking. Waves beating against the hull. Rigging groaning under the constant ballast it has to withhold.

… the same, damn soundscape. So we’ve not arrived. Yet.

A groan of discomfort escapes my throat as I change position. Now I sit upright, my feet resting on the floor. Same damn planks as yesterday. And the day before. And the day before that one.
Grumbling. Curses. I feel like I spent the night on cobblestone. Never expected the Hold’s bunk beds to be the first things I’d miss.

Of course I have no issues looking around in this unlit hole.
Piking captain has not lied to me when he offered me a room “fit for a lowlife peasant”. Whoever designed this ship must have had a sadistic intuition as they made oversights, ending up with some free space at this end. A small cabin lodged right in between the storage and the ship’s hull? Cruel.
I feel the heat and salted air of the seas at my back. And ahead? The stench of sulfur and fish. As usual.
Heard the crew talking about how they loaded some crazed alchemist’s goods. And I bet all it would take for things to blow up is one drunk fool dropping a lamp over the wrong cargo crate.

At least it’d hit my hin-sized room first. No chances of surviving that, crippled and somehow not eaten up by the sea.
I look over to the corner. My belongings are still there. Untouched. The captain and the crew seem like honest folks and I trust my instincts. So nothing to worry about there.

Made sure to only take the bare minimum with me.
First. One set of clothes. Coat and all. It will have to do.
Second. No coins. Gems instead. Carrying what I earned with me would otherwise not be possible. Shinies usually prove to be more convincing than hard coin.
Third. My sword. It rests on top of my bag. A ray of light shines on the handle, illuminating the insignia that the Purser engraved into the surface.

That’s when I hear sluggish footsteps. They halt outside my cabin.
Last edited by Richørd on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Richørd

Re: A Long Break

Post by Richørd » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:12 pm

I lift myself up and take two steps. The cabin’s door remains still.
Instead of waiting for him to knock I simply open up.

It’s Haggard. As expected.
Pleashant day to you, good shir!” The aged half-elf bows his head. At first this behavior bugged the hells out of me. Kept telling him to not call me that. To no avail. But I got used to it after a few days.
Now I hold a hand out to the half-elf instead.
Yesh, of courshe. Your meal , good shir.
He places the plate in my open hand, giving me a half-toothed grin. At some point in time his face must’ve been hit hard on the mouth. All his front teeth are missing.

In return for my daily meal I make sure to pay him with a stern nod. “Haggard.” I close the door.

Salted fish. Half an orange. Water. Vegetable stew. Even a slice of bread.
Not bad. Still makes me miss some of that hin’s cooking.

I sit down on the bed again. Should eat.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:29 pm

The heat and the stink get to me. I really start hating the seas.

Suddenly there are noises. Lots of them coming from the deck above me. Steps, shouting.
I stand upright on the bed, pressing my ear against the roof.

From what I can make out there are commands being given. Land in sight.

Heavy steps approach my cabin. Must be the captain. Only guy on this boat who is so heavy set that the sound of his steps can be heard over the racket up top.
He doesn’t bother with waiting, instead the door opens up straight away.

He stops in the doorframe, looking up to me as I press my ear against the ceiling.
Ah, I see our guest has-
"Our destination. It’s in sight.” I cut him off and step down from the bed. “I will expect you to follow my instructions, fella. As we agreed on. We arrive, your boys remain busy loadin’ off , both of us step off the boat, I’ll be payin’ you ‘n’ I depart.
He raises a brow. Obviously he does not like getting interrupted. The fat bloke will have to deal with it this time.
Instead of acting up though he mutters something into his beard and tips his ridiculous tricorn. I ignore him and turn to my belongings as he leaves.

I unfold my coat and get dressed. Feels good to carry my sword with me again, back where it belongs. At my back.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:56 pm

Evening. Wave District. Athkatla. The capital of Amn.
Never liked working here. A city that’s ruled by the rich and fueled by stupidity and greed. One would expect it to be a haven of wealth and opportunities for any free-roaming sellsword.

As such there are two ways one can end up around here. Either they-

That train of thought gets interrupted abruptly.

I get shoved aside by a massive frame that’s carrying something.
Man, step away! Block work, we paid less!” What follows is an aggressive grunt by the figure.
I do as he says and let the brutish half-orc continue stacking barrels. I could easily break this one in half and let him choke on his own teeth for bumping into me.
I could.
But I should really get moving instead. No reason to waste time out here on this pier.

So I start walking.

It’d be better to enter the city and throw myself into the dense chaos of Amn’s thieving merchants and haggling thieves. Not much of a difference between the two, but still ...

Suddenly the evening sky lights up, becoming bright as midday for a second. A blast echoes behind me, deafening my ears as I get thrown down by the shockwave.
I shake my head and roll over, already realizing what just happened.
The ship I’ve been on five minutes ago? It now resembles what a deer’s torso would look like after a wyvern took a bite out of it. Cinder and flames bordering the wide hole that has been birthed into this world. The ship seems to tilt over to the pier which is now also missing a considerable chunk.

I guess this is what happens when you drop the wrong crate.
Slowly standing up I dust my coat off, turning my head to look back at the city. Of course there are already people gathering. Civilians and slacking workers, all shuffling closer to catch a glimpse of what happened to the trader’s caravel that was just unloading it’s wares a minute ago.

I turn my head again. Another look back at the wreck.

Yeah, it’s indeed sinking. Rapidly. Body parts, splinters and smoke decorate the scene.
Should not take long until guards and some administrative arse from one of the mercantile houses show up.
Is that the captain’s tricorn on the water? Huh. Doesn’t matter. I head off into the crowd and disappear.

This is none of my business.
Last edited by Richørd on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:25 am

Peculiar. A group of guards already pass me, eight of them. Each of them armored to the teeth, their gear audibly humming with protective wards and decorated with symbols of Waukeen.
Mostly coins.

I’ve seen what those fellows can do.You better hope they don’t show up for you. Mercantile Elites don’t screw around and will try to enforce any orders given to them, one way or another.

But it’s not them that are making me look twice.

A robed figure in their middle. Quite tall, thin shouldered and walking upright like someone stuck a lamppost up their rear. Elven ears stick out of a hood, their face hidden beneath a veil.
Must be one of the Cowled Wizards. A bloody damn rare sight.

Do they assume that some suicidal mage caused that explosion?
I sneer at that thought and continue walking towards the city, the end of the pier in sight.
They will have a hard time finding renegade idiots back there. Whatever.

After a few more minutes I finally reach the end of the pier and have some solid ground under my feet. I stop to look around.

Left of me is the Great Griffin. One of Amn’s many oversized attractions, clearly visible against the dimly lit sky. A stupendously giant bell, supposedly they use it to warn their ships about incoming danger.
Not the way I need to go.

Instead I turn right and keep walking along the river. Headed for the northeastern part of this city. The Trades District.

I’ll have to find a place to stay. For now.
And that will most likely be the Black Frog.
Also it’d be good to catch up with Earl. If the hin is still around.

That would definitely make things easier.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:23 pm

River District. The ugly speck of dirt on Athkatla’s facade.

One can’t find any of the usual high-arsed glimmer and glory around here.
The city’s famed Storm Lanterns are only dimly lit around here. Some of them are even missing their glass casing or fuel leaks down in slow drips.

The homes and the sparse businesses of the locals look just as bad. Most of them have lost their shine and plaster a long time ago. Or they never had those to begin with.

And the locals? They are trying their hardest, even at this time of day.

Scrounging together what they can find. Beggars holding their open hands out in pitiful gestures, free women offering themselves to bypassers, shady merchants haggling with their customers over shabby wares and some kids fishing at the riverbank.
And no guards in sight to keep some order.
Why would there even be a single guard around anyways? None of the mercantile houses have any interest in these poor folks. Bottom of the barrel right here.

That’s something the Shadow Thieves take care of.
I don’t like them.
They barely have any code respect for their own craft and basically take in anyone who feels like making a quick buck. But they are also the only ones who care about the lowest of the low. In their own way, of course.

Like over there. I spot three figures in front of one of the worn-down houses. Thugs. Two humans and an orcblood. Clubs, clothed in ragged leathers, loose hoods. One of the humans seems to have issues slamming the door in.

There is light within and I spot a silhouette moving around.

That’s when the orcblood manages to kick the door down. The trio moves in. Shouting, the sound of blunt impacts on flesh, a crack or two. I can hear a woman crying somewhere in the back of the house.
Well, lassy. Your man should have paid his debts. Missing payments only lead to what's happening to him right now.

Of course nobody seems to pay any attention to a home getting broken into.
Standard occurrence. And those thugs probably have a permit anyways.

Don’t feel like messing with the local criminals anyways. Have somewhere else to be.

So I continue. Along the river, towards the Trades District.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:03 am

The Black Frog.
I stand outside the two-story building for a while. A rather welcoming wooden construction that stands out like a splinter in an environment filled with buildings of stone and clay.
Reminds me of the Logjam.

After observing the occasional customer enter or leave this establishment I let myself in. Seems like not much has changed. I see a few new pieces of furniture, chairs and whatnot. But overall the Black Frog’s interior remained the same. And it smells like I just entered a mead hall.Boar and beer.

The bar is currently void of anyone to tend to it. So I take up seat at one of the oaken tables next to the door.

Not too many patrons around. The occasional traders enjoying their end of work for today, exchanging stories with others and citizens having talks with their friends.

After a few minutes I see a female figure step out of the back of the tavern. Raven hair, curls. Skin like mahogany and dressed in a barmaids gown that accentuates her figure in just the right ways. Pleasing for the eyes. It’s Lana.
She looks over the tables, seeing if there is any untended clients.
Of course she spots me and walks over. She’ll want to take up my order.
Good evening, fellow! What’s it going to be? Perhaps today’s special? Roasted boar, served alongside steamed potatoes!” She gives me an expectant smile and waits for my reaction. “Maybe it’ll just be a beer instead? Got some fresh kegs in!

Lana of course doesn’t recognize me. The few times we talked I’ve always worn a helmet. Usually that happened whenever she’d burst into Earl’s office during my talks with him.
So I simply look up at her and give her a crooked grin.
Nah, none of that. How come Earl ain’t the one greetin’ me, Lana?

Apparently that’s enough for her smile to vanish. She rests her arms on her hips. One could see the cogs turning in her head for a few seconds before she starts to remember my voice.
She gestures me to follow her back to the bar. I sigh and walk after her. Some of the patrons are giving me sly grins as if they guessed what I am here for. Idiots.

We walk all the way to Earl’s office. A small room at the back of the building that only contains the most necessary furniture. A low desk with two chairs. One at the side where Earl would sit and on the opposite side one for whoever would end up taking work. Besides that there are cabinets, all of them filled to the brim with paperwork. Documents of contracts, permits and whatnot.
Wait.” She gestures to the desk before she leaves the office.
Great. One word is all she gives me after I return from Arelith. Have I ever offended the young lass somehow?
Whatever. Maybe she had a bad day. I take my sword’s holster off and rest it against the chair before I set myself down.

Several minutes pass. I lean back and listen. The occasional clang of mugs and cheerful chants echo over from the bar.

Then there are footsteps approaching. I turn my head over to the door and finally see the one I’m here for.
Last edited by Richørd on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:51 pm

Earl is small.
Like … really small. Even for his kind.
Then there is that beard that he is so proud of. Makes his head look like a grumpy little cloud of dark wool.
He slowly walks over to his hin-sized chair, regarding me with his eyes as he sits down.
Then both of us simply stare. I don’t know how much time passes as we comit to this stare-down.

. . .

Yeah, this is stupid. And not what I’m here for. I break the mutual staring-contest by reaching into my pocket, shifting in my seat. It’s the gems. Earl’s eyes wander down to my hand as it reaches into the bag. What I bring forth are a few rubies and a diamond. I slide them over to the hin. His expression doesn’t change as he now looks down at the gems in front of him.

You are paying the debt back?
Yup. Makin’ up for the trouble that I caused back then. With interest.” I reach back into the bag, now sliding a Star Sapphire over to him.
He gives me a stupid look. He motions between the Star Sapphire and me, back and forth, before asking again.
And this … ?
I grumble and cross my arms. “You got a free room I bet. I plan on stayin’ for a while.
B. You left for those isles. Arelith. Left Amn without a trace after causing a mess during a piss-simple contract ... what are you doing back here again?
He reaches beneath his desk and reveals a cigar. Of course he doesn't bother to ask me if I want one too, he knows I don't smoke. And now he expects me to give him a report.

I sigh. Lots of unpleasant memories. Almost outweighing the good ones.
Still, I tell him about everything that I have seen and done over there as he takes a deep breaths from the smoldering stump in his mouth.
Last edited by Richørd on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:39 am

Three hours later.

Hells. Earl has way too much interest for unnecessary details. Especially all the drama around his distant kin in Bendir kept raising questions.
I follow Lana up the stairs to the room, rubbing my neck. Probably going to end up being my place for a long time. Relatively speaking.

Wasn’t expecting this though. Either Earl gave me the Black Frog’s luxury suite or he invested some serious coin into the interior. Lacquered wood. Engravings. At the wall there’s a painting of some lighthouse at the sea. And even the curtains look properly cleaned.
One eyebrow raised I turn my head to Lana.
What’s all this ‘bout? Earl ain’t cuttin’ thin’s cheap anymore?
She gives me a slightly too friendly clap on the back and shoves me into the room. “Gave some oath or what, B? Enjoy it, Earl will be needing your services soon!” The young lady winks at me past the door before closing it. “Rest well!

Where in the nine bloody hells is she taking that friendly behavior from now?!

I shake my head. Whatever. Time to safely store my belongings.
Getting down on my knees I spend the next few minutes scouring over the wooden flooring. Finally I find a gap between two of the boards in the centre of the room. Works just fine for me.
I take my sword off my back and shove it right in there. Of course one of the boards comes loose after carefully waggling it around. Empty space beneath it. I make sure that the bag with the gems is safely stored down there and press the board back down.

Next. The windows.
They seem sturdy enough. No easy access to them from outside.

Now. The door.
Not bad. That lock seems sturdy enough. Bashing the door in would take less time than breaking that mechanism open. I bet.

Satisfied with the room I’ll be calling mine for the near future I go to bed. Of course the sword rests beneath it. Should be easy enough to reach it.

Just in case.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:01 pm

A few months later on a wagon on a road, somewhere in the Cloud Peaks ...

... then she said that she’d get me a proper hat fitted for my next trip up here. Hard to believe after all my old cap got me through!
The old man has been talking about his wife.
Half.
A gods-damned.
Day.
Exactly why I told her to let it be. But no, no, no … Shirry always was a good girl, mister! Wouldn’t risk letting her honeybear go away again risking a cold.” He laughs into the sky, not minding the rain.

Gramps, how ‘bout both of us keep our mouths shut for now, eh?

The old coachman turns his head for a second and gives me a nod before he mumbles something into his shaggy beard, looking back to the road ahead of us.
Good. Finally some quiet thinking-time.

Things have been as one would expect them to be in a city such as Amn’s capital. Wild, overcrowded and filled with chances to get your purse emptied. Legally and non-legally speaking of course. Besides that I’ve been keeping myself busy doing the occasional job for Earl. Just to earn some coin on the side and to get me out of the city.
Just like this time.

Obviously Earl couldn’t fill me in on all of the details. Never asked him to do so anyways.
All I know is that there’s been some big scandal within one of the bigger mercantile houses of the Temple District. Some oligarch’s son, young fellow named Cavos, has fled after killing one of his rivals. Nothing too unusual.
But this boy did so with magic. Out in public. Not something any smart man would do.
So he left it to his family to deal with the Cowled Wizards. Bad enough I guess to force his house to open a bounty on the fleeing son. Ended up on Earl’s desk two weeks ago.
Sounded like a simple mission. Just find the boy, bring him all the way back to Athkatla and deliver him to any of the Temple District’s guards. Payment awaits me once that's done.

Earl told me that I am the only one of his men that's qualified to do this job.
Looking back at how easy it has been to track the boy so far I am almost tempted to take that as an insult. Cavos left eastwards in a hurry.
A bustling town, known as the “Caravan City”, located east of the capital. Crimmor. Anyone with a bit of experience in working undercover would’ve been nearly impossible to track there.
But the boy is a pure amateur. And he was obviously desperate while looking for a way out of Amn.
Only had to kick a few doors in, talk to the right people and I was back on track.
Now I’m on a wagon with this old man, on my way to a roadside tavern in the Cloud Peaks.
“The Prancing Goat”. If Cavos ends up not being there I’ll simply have to keep tracking him.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:15 am

We arrive after sundown.
Gotta admit that the “Prancing Goat” is quite … I’d say quite ordinary. Your typical run-of-the-mill two story tavern built right at the highest point of the Cloud Peaks. No matter which way you follow, from here on it’s only going to lead you down. Southwards back to Crimmor where I came from, northwards to Nashkel.

I turn back to the old blabbermouth on his wagon and throw him a small bag with coins, payment for the trip up here.
Wait right there, gramps. Might be needin’ to rent your wagon back down to where we came from.” He gives me a quick nod and starts tending his horses.

Looks like it’ll keep raining. Pissweather. I walk to the tavern’s door and step inside.

Ahead. Group of dwarfs, busy chatting in their own tongue as they’re sticking their noses together.
To my right. Party of four, guy with the winged helmet slurs about how he’d take down drakes on his own.
A few more pairs taking spots at the other tables.

Everyone here is either focused on keeping their drinks steady or chatting with their friends, not minding another stranger coming in, all wet and cold. Good.
But no Cavos yet.
I go down the hall to the other end of the tavern and spot the young lad as soon as I turn around the corner.
Looks just as he was described in the contract as he sits alone at one of the tables, his side exposed to me. Black, messy hair. Auburn eyes. High cheekbones. Slender build. He's currently dressed in rather ordinary common-folk clothing.
And bloody hells, how come no one ever mentioned that big nose?
He doesn’t see me yet, seems like he is busy staring down his mug.

I wander over. Time to finally get to know who I’ve been chasing for weeks.
As I lean down to him I make sure to grip his shoulder, tight.
No false moves or you’ll end up havin’ a hard time breathin’ through that stinker once it’s broken, mate. We’re gonna have a lil’ chat.
He looks up at me with the eyes of a beaten dog and nods. Strange. He seems harmless, barely regarding an open threat like that. At least for a noble mage that’s wanted for murder.
I give the few tables around us a quick glance. Few people. So I drag one of the chairs from the table next to us over and sit down.
Cavos spends a lot of time staring at the handle of my sword over my shoulder before he asks.
What do you want from me?
Gotta get you back, Cavos.
He starts to look worried. “Was it my parents? Did they hire you?” He folds his hands around the mug.
No idea. For all I care it could’ve been your uncle or your nan. I just have a job to do.
He remains silent and looks down his beverage. I give him some time to gather his thoughts and keep talking.
Look. Got a wagon outside, told the old fella to wait for me. It’ll take us back. Of course you’ll be spendin’ the journey with your hands tied ... “ I gesture at the drink he’s still grasping. “... you bein’ a mage ‘n’ all that. You understand. I guess.
He still doesn’t talk and looks down at the mug.
Now there might be lots of thin's goin’ through your little pea-brain, boy. But the second I see you wagglin’ your thumbs or somethin’ else arcaney …
Cavos looks up, defiance slowly fading from his expression. I nod for myself. Seems like my guess was right.
... in that case I’ll be stoppin’ at nothin’ to make sure you spend the rest of the trip back blindfolded ‘n’ bundled tighter than some rich boy’s shoelaces. Are we clear ‘bout that?
He nods and looks back down his mug. Must’ve found something magical for how much he’s staring into it.
Fantastic. Now wait right’ere ‘n’ do not start thinkin’ ‘bout runnin’ off. Gotta do somethin’.
Leaving him off with a pat on his back I head back through the tavern towards the bar.

The bearded half-elf working there gives me a lofted brow.
I take it you won’t be staying, stranger?
Yup. Pack me some fresh water, supplies ‘n’ leave’em with the wagon right outside.” I slide a few coins over the counter.

This contract has been very easy so far.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:08 am

I hum a little fanfare to myself as I walk back to the table. I don't even remember where I picked this melody up, now that I think about it.
A light beer in one hand, a cup of milk in the other, I'm thinking about what I should do if Cavos escaped through a window or whatever while I was gone.
But it would be the best for both of us if he remained right there on his arse.
And yup, there he is.
Slightly paler than before but still there.
I sit down next to him again and place the beer where he can see it.
Come on, might aswell have ‘nother drink. The barkeep is takin’ his sweet time preparin’.
He looks at the drink and mutters. “Prepare …?
Food. Drink. It’s a long way back to Athkatla, idiot. Or can you conjure food?
N-No, t-t-that was never part of my-” He stops and looks me directly in the eye now. Stares like he was caught with his hand down the candy jar.
... so? Your what? Training?
Practicing magic in Amn is heavily restricted and will get you killed in some cases, jailed up if you’re lucky.
Some renegade mage actually training noble sons? In the heart of Amn?
Interesting. Not unexpected of nobles to break their own laws. That's typical.
But instead of telling me the rest of it he pales even more and looks back down his mug.
… seems like he's not thirsty. Fine.
I take a sip of the milk.
Goat. Disgusting.
Never understood what some people find so appealing about it, so I shove the cup aside, almost knocking it over in the process.
But it makes sense. Of course they wouldn’t have cows up here.
Right. Come on, you corpse-lookin' noodle. Let’s get goin’.
I stand up and grab Cavos’ arm. But he simply goes limp and falls off his chair like a heavy sack of potatoes. Face first, his arm still in my grip.
First the paleness. Now this. The wheels in my head start spinning.
Damn.
I hastily lean down and turn him around, giving him a smack across that stupid, big-nosed face. He looks up at me and smiles.
Of course a small vial rolls out of his west’s pocket.

Idiot seriously poisoned himself. Think!
I call out for a healer, promising them as many drinks as they want today. Quick!
His eyes roll back and blood starts pouring out of his nose. Shite.
The wing-helmed drakeslayer from earlier runs over, almost slipping on a puddle on the floor and puts his hands on Cavos’ chest.
A low glow starts emanating from his palms as he leans over the boy for a some undetermined amount of time.
I realize that Cavos is no more. That body is now just another corpse. And several weeks of work died with it.

The paladin rises up and gives me a sorry look.
Yeah... no need to say anythin’. He’s dead.
Family, sir?
No. My next paycheck.
Still, you have my ... *hiccup* ... condolences.” He gives me some half-arsed gesture that I don't recognize and bows.
Great. One of the nicer sort. Can't even knock him out to vent without feeling bad.
I turn around and leave. Screw this place.

That’s when I hear wood breaking. And shouting. Lots of it from the entrance of the tavern.