Jaredons Tale

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

huggiesunrise

Jaredons Tale

Post by huggiesunrise » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am

Pink sunsets where what he missed most.

"She didn't make it." the words where lost but the message was clear.

Crisp dry air. It was the first time he could breathe without heaving humid salty air. It was far away from the sea.

"I sorry Jared but the newborn won't survive without Zuni Ko." The midwife spoke louder to get his attention.

Jared had aged a great deal in the past week. What was a baby face on a man of 37 had gotten to be about his true age. He numbly regarded to woman he had known for 8 years.

"I see." Jared spoke. stoic without croop or signs of emotion.

Keiko was not there but her crib was. He remembered the baby on the floor next to his wife who had seemingly just collapsed.

Thousands of the same image...

"Jared.. you might want to say your goodbyes. before you have to do whats best." The midwife stated... she was having more trouble with this then he was. Of course she didn't know about his family before this one.. he was a pile of rubble back then.. Zuni helped rebuild what was a broken man.

Jared looked around the room.. Disturbed from searches and scrying.. this place was turned upside down and they wanted a scapegoat. The sheriff couldent prove to his neighbors and her family it was his fault but they were not going to let a foreigner have his own daughter.

He wasn't at fault but he was still a failure. He didn't argue. Not with that.

"Vary well." jared stated standing up. he was hugged by the small human woman. he didn't expect that.

"I know she's in good hands. I will be back. I dont care if Im alone for the rest of my life.. im not leaving my daughter here alone." He affirmed.

The numbness may have been he had no tears left. Someone wise had told him we where the sum of our tears. Too little and the land was not fertile, too much and the best of us is washed away.

His rains had come and gone.

It would be some time before the grass would be green again. So there was only the winter.. to wander.. to find out why. Who would kill a woman but spare the child and take nothing.

It made no sense. Even the gangs cried for his loss. He stayed away from the underworld. But he couldent help but think there was a karma a price to the money he had made with them.

Jared didn't know he had wandered into the living room. His mother in law was holding his daughter, a small bundle, with her mothers brown eyes but her fathers blonde hair.

"Jared.. you dont have to go right away.. please. Ito will cool off he does like you." She said it like he was running out the door.. abandoning keiko like.. he could do it lightly.

"Mama-san."
Jared said it.. soft ly. "I cant sit around alone in this house and say goodbye for a year. I need to mourn as my people mourn. I will survive. I will come back."

The small house was his first job in the little fishing village. it had grown modestly as a skilled woodworker he had been building ships and sailing as early as he could scrape barnacles off a hull. It was the sea that called him back now.

He took his daughter she was asleep. Woke up as he held her everything in her face lit up knowing his hands how he handled her. her eyes scanning his face and smiling. Quickly back to sleep. The formula the midwife gave her for her bruises from the fall made her sleepy. Hopefully her memories of whatever happened would never haunt her either.

"Little one.. You are why I live." Jared said. "Stronger than both of us one day."

He looked to the midwife and mama-san.

"Ill drop her off in the morning. The ship doesn't leave will the mid morning winds." He sat down.

The two women looked to each other.. what was there to say? He was only half as stubborn as his wife was. The course and decisions had been made.

Fate would decide the rest.