The Celestial Garden: a model for horoscope production. Dissertation of Namfoodle Moongazer (Astronomy & Theology)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Hammerwell

The Celestial Garden: a model for horoscope production. Dissertation of Namfoodle Moongazer (Astronomy & Theology)

Post by Hammerwell » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:54 pm

THE GARDEN OF THE MOON PROJECT BY THE TUNGSTEN TURRET
This paper is also available via the Tungsten Turret, next to the Arcane Tower. All are welcome to visit the Garden of the Moon, a representation of all the planets in Realmspace.

The Garden of the Moon is the project of the Church of Selûne and the Church of Nebelun. Anyone can enter the Tungsten Turret, so come visit and learn.

PAPER TITLE

1. ABSTRACT

In this paper, I describe how my MODEL OF THE GARDEN OF THE MOON can be used to establish the horoscope for any individual living on Toril or even Abeir.

2. QUOTE

Oh friend across the ever distant shore
And strangers well met on the merry ways.
What dreams compel our slumbered souls to soar?
What spectacles are chanced upon to gaze?
The starry night majestic in its scope
Connects the fates of all on land and sea,
So hold your stride and never give up hope
For Maiden’s Moon will guide us where to be.
— Lyrics to "Greeting the Moon", an ancient Moonspinning chant

3. INTRODUCTION

Eight planets orbit our world Toril's sun. We can only see four of these at night without help. The Netherese were the first to name them "planets", and to also give them names, starting with Anadia and ending with H'Catha. The four planets that we can see with our naked eyes are ruled by the Elemental Gods: Kossuth for Anadia, Akadi for Coliar, Karpi for Ishtishia and Chandos for Grumbar.

The three planets that we can't see are ruled by Sune (planet Glyth), Chauntea (planet Garden) and Mystra (far-off H'Catha). Selûne is the moon, and she rules herself. Selûne has observable physical effects on Toril. She controls tides and other cyclical events on our world and our persons, such as seasons and moods. Other planets (and even constellations) also affect our fates.

Their effects are much weaker and difficult to measure for all but scholars — particularly astrologers and historians. Anadia might "cause" fire or war, but its cycle too often coincides with that of the observed cycles of fire and violence on Toril. Likewise, Selûne at its fullest might not cause lycanthropes to change, but the moon cycle coincides exactly with the natural cycle of the lycanthrope's condition.

4. GARDEN OF THE MOON MODEL

Space : the final frontier for gnome-kind. These words, written by Belwar Dissengulp in his Treatise for Expeditionary Thought, describe what my paper really is about. My paper is about discovering the beauty of space and inventing a future where we may be space gnomes, should we wish it.

The beauty of space starts with our moon, Selûne. It continues with us moving on to the planets of our Realmspace, and then moves further to stars, meteors and other cosmic objects whose positions and movement affect our fates. My paper is, more specifically, on how to make an astrological chart.

An astrological chart is a map of your future. The map uses the moon, the planets and other celestial objects to make these predictions. All astrological charts start with three signs: a spirit sign, a birth sign, and a rising sign.

I developed a method to constructing an initial astrological chart, by studying existing methods:
Method A finds the spirit sign, method B finds the birth sign, and method C finds the rising sign.

For further reading on the role of the spirit sign, the birth sign and the rising sign, I suggest visiting your closest church of Selûne or your closest observatory.

Finally, I can construct an initial astrological chart using my method if wished. The making of an initially populated astrological chart shouldn't take more than five minutes.

5. METHOD FOR PRODUCING SPIRIT SIGN, BIRTH AND RISING SIGNS (MOONGAZER, N. REVISED IN YEAR 140)
A. Your spirit sign (which of the twelves constellations ruled during your birth month): Given by customer, or figured by astrologist.

B. Your birth sign (planet nearest to you at birth): Customer chooses which color appeals to them. Eight choices: A. Rust red, B. Bluish white, C. Blue green, D. Dull white, E. Earth brown, F. Slate gray, G. Emerald green, F. Bright white.

C. Your rising sign
(planet nearest to you during life-changing events):
1. Is this world visible to the naked eye?
Y: Anadia, Coliar, Karpi, Selûne or Chandos,
N: Go to question 4.
2. Do your moods change often, or are they usually similar?
Y: Selûne
3. Which of the four elements does a diviner associate you with?
F: Anadia (Kossuth), A: Coliar (Akadi), W: Karpi (Ishtishia) E: Chandos (Grumbar)
4. This world isn't visible to the naked eye. Show the customer the three outer planets and ask which one calls to them:
Glyth (Sune) appears dull gray, but is surrounded by a spectacular ring and three smaller moons.
Garden (Chauntea) is a tiny green sparkle.
H'Catha (Mystra) is a gleam of diamond white.

APPENDIX 1: PLANETS OF THE GARDEN OF THE MOON

Name Description
Anadia
Ruled by Kossuth. Reddish color, also associated with Garagos the Reaver (humans). Anadia governs fire and destruction, and by association, war and violence.

Coliar
Ruled by Akadi. Bluish-white color. Coliar governs air, flight, illusions and trickery. By extension, it also governs communication, thought and travel.

Karpri
Ruled by Ishtishia. Blue-green color. Karpri governs storms, water, and destruction and by extension, the destruction of antiquated and unworkable forms and ideas.

Selûne
Ruled by Selûne. Governs navigation, prophecy, questers, and lycanthropes. By extension, Selûne also governs all things with a cyclic nature, such as emotions (and how to cure madness).

Chandos
Ruled by Grumbar. Brownish color. Chandos governs earth, metal, and time. By extension, it also governs discipline, limitation and fate.

Glyth
Ruled by Sune. Dull gray, but surrounded by a spectacular ring and three lesser bodies. Visible only with magical aid. Beauty, love, and, passion, and by extension, relationships, aesthetics, and art.

Garden
Ruled by Chauntea. A tiny green sparkle, rarely seen and never seen without aid. Protection, renewal, and all growing things. By extension, also expansion, opportunity and prosperity.

H'Catha
Ruled by Mystra. Very large & very far away. A gleam of diamond white. Never seen without aid. Knowledge and magic & the power of transformation, change, revolution and evolution.