The Rambunctious Researcher

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

liver and bones

The Rambunctious Researcher

Post by liver and bones » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:25 pm

22. 1. 139.
Minotaur dwelling in the mountains of Skal. Room dedicated to Baphomet, patron lord to most minotaurs. Shrine dressed with the remains of assumed victims. Two braziers on pedestals. Double column to support erected interpretation of Baphomet. Pedestal and columns carved with illegible runic writing. Before the shrine; glowing runes, a humming, inactive portal, and runic writing around aforementioned portal.

Portal; Unsuccessful in activating it. Assuming relation to one in the tundra near the orc's harbor.
Statue of Baphomet; Made of stone. Assuming unrelated to portal's purpose.
Runes; Assuming demonic in nature. Unsuccessful in finding an interpreter.

liver and bones

Re: The Rambunctious Researcher

Post by liver and bones » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:44 pm

4. 2. 139.
Tundra. Western end near the orcs. Carcasses and bones surrounding a glowing, inactive portal; four large beings specifically.

Portal; Brings forth a winged, bipedal beast. Inactive. Glows. No attributing noises to it, unlike the minotaurs'.
Four caracasses; I assume quadrupedal in nature. I assumed offered to something unholy. The winged beast most likely related.
Winged Beast; Lands on the "portal", rather than appears. Speaks Common. Its words too quick for me to remember as it attacked me immediately. Felled. Produced an odd key. Key's purpose yet unknown. Possibly not a true portal, or portal at all, but rather a beacon.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:58 am

7. 2. 139.
As my idea was coming together wonderfully, they left. The foundation for my idea - left. To Cordor. I don't know what to feel now. Jolly for my idea's support, or heartbreak?

Can't let others see it. Town needs stability, and I must be that.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:35 am

13. 5. 139.
Summer came. I left for Arelith, as the council failed. Supporters turned a blind-eye to the reality of things.

I uncovered the truth from the Halls' harbormaster who was craning golems down onto a ship. Minotaurs to minogons. Sought Eirik of Guldorand, but he found me in the Halls. Explained my loyalty for both Skal and Guldorand. We came to a conclusion. Not necessary to treat the two places as different. We have found a solution.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Thu May 17, 2018 7:37 am

13. 3. 140.
Nearly a year has gone by since my latest entry. This one will exist to mark my personal history on Skal, rather than for research.

Year 138 begins this history. I embarked for Guldorand from Brogendenstein. However, I detoured and was left stranded on Skal. I began my first few weeks answering the call of the hövding, or mayor, to address troublesome issues for the town of Skal. During these first few weeks the people, both natives and those from abroad, were offered aid and judgment by a man named Hakon. A prominent figure later to be slain by names never mentioned. As I moved into the next two months, we were met by vicious attacks by a notorious gang of murders and thieves. Those in this gang consisted of Karken, Lorick, and Zerry. With their tyranny, they became the reason for our discussions of a needed government. Soon after, the reason for our meetings.

However, as our first meeting began to form the tyranny of the Blackmane Mercenaries began to show. They were notorious for their documented behavior of aiding adventurers till said adventurers were tired and beaten by their adventurers to strike them or extort them of their coin.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:40 pm

25. 3. 146.

Six years I have been in that hole. A commitment to studying this obsession of mine, yet finding no answers. So, these six years have turned me bitter and cold. I returned to the public; to be seen once more. Of the old faces I knew, Mach was the first to uncover me. It was on the outskirts of Cordor as I shopped to fuel my fierce training to rekindle my physical strength. I had known of his efforts and successes on that island where we first met; I despised him because of it. Then he spoke of Sylmae, "Grand Magus of Myon". I meant my vicious name for her - she is a Manatee now. They piggyback on their short triumphs, and have forgotten entirely of the island.

I have revisited the island, and it lies within the whims of whoever holds the greatest strength. History repeats itself. I could smell the scent of the Blackmane and Banites lingering. Time is trickling away for me. My hairs have grown white. I must do something.