The Theory of Elemental Combinatorics [version 1.1]

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Hammerwell

The Theory of Elemental Combinatorics [version 1.1]

Post by Hammerwell » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:54 pm

Chapter 1: Research problem, definitions & scope.

The research output of the University of Lantan's Department of Natural Sciences, particularly on the topic of elemental algebra, is inferior to the output of similar departments of other universities. This situation must be remedied!

My Working Theory on Elemental Combinatorics will remedy this lack of research output. This chapter describes what is meant by "Elemental Combinatorics" and establishes the definitions that will be used in the rest of the paper, as well as the scope of the project.

In summary, the problem this paper solves is that we suck at research, and this paper presents a solution, namely the Theory of Elemental Combinatorics *.

Definitions:
Element (noun): a substance that cannot be broken down into simpler components, except by extreme engineering or legendary magic.

To combine (verb, with object): cause (two or more things) to be or work together.

Elemental combinatorics (noun): a branch of elemental algebra that deals with combinations of elements belonging to a finite set in accordance with certain constraints** .

Theory (noun): A well-explained and supported explanation of something. A theory is not "just" an idea. Also see hypothesis (the definition by Fitsnitch & Bowsnapper (1362 DR) is recommended).

Scope:
The study is conducted within the practical confines of the island of Arelith, Toril, Prime Material Plane. The researcher is limited to the resources, literature and expertise of the island, for the most part. Correspondence between other scholars is limited and slow, but possible.

Notes to the editor:
* This part seems awfully cocky! Should I try to sound more humble? I don't want to beat around the bush.
** I need to make it clear that this is the name I invented, but that I welcome any recommendations for a name that summarizes elemental combinatorics well enough for a layperson to understand. Any ideas?
Last edited by Hammerwell on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hammerwell

Re: The Theory of Elemental Combinatorics [version 1.0]

Post by Hammerwell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Chapter 2: Research tools and methods used
In this chapter, I reveal how my research uses 4 valid and ethical methods to develop the Theory of Elemental Combinatorics (ToEC). Using a variety of research tools and subjects further increases a study's validity, so I also detail the research tools and subjects (living and non-living) used in this ongoing work.

2.1. Research tools and subjects utilized

2.1.1. Research tools utilized
I used information-gathering tools such as note-taking, analysis of public information sources (as well as two private yet ethically consulted sources), and interviews with 50 sentient subjects.

2.1.2. Research subjects utilized
The residents of Arelith island. Due to research scope limitations (see Chapter 1), my sample is not entirely representative. Still, it is within accepted limits. Most beneficial were the genuine friendships made during the course of ethnographic inquiry, and the insights gleaned from consultation with subject experts (see Chapter 10: Acknowledgements and Thanks).

2.2. The four research methods

2.2.1. From quantitative science: A] The Rule-of-Three & B] common sense about the elemental planes. I mean, it was my second major after all!
— The Rule-of-Three (Standard Manual of the Planes), says simply that things tend to happen in threes. The principles which govern the planes are themselves subject to this rule.
— Based on this principle, I use the universal rule-of-three limitation to find the set of all elemental combinations in the multiverse — namely 15 (the number of known elemental planes minus one, hence 15)*.

2.2.2 From qualitative science: A] Co-habitation (i.e. Ethnography) & B] Friendship. Friendship truly is as magical as it is informative!
— Co-habitation is a widely-used method for research that seeks to understand the difficult-to-measures aspects of a phenomenon. I lived on Arelith island during this study in order to ensure that my research was contextually relevant.
— Friendship-based qualitative research methods such as trust and openness require of the researcher to be honest and open-minded. Most of all, the researcher must take a neutral stance at all times. The underlying assumption of this study, as far as qualitative methods go, is that I must ensure that my research serves a greater purpose.

This mixture and variety of qualitative and quantitative methods establishes the validity of my research. So stop questioning it, you cricket-crunching old fogey**!

Notes to the editor:
* The 16 known inner elemental planes are the planes of positive, lightning, air, vacuum, ice, steam, water, salt, ooze, mineral, earth, dust, magma, radiance, fire, ash, smoke, and negative energy.
** Yes, O Editor! I'll remove this before publication. It just feels good to have it in there. Professor Bogglewig just spends too much time on inter-research reliability, and he knows I don't need it.