Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Dragons in the Shadows

Post by Anatida » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 pm

We were one. We were whole.

We were whole, but not one.

We were… something else.

Viscous fluid diminished all sensation; dampened all sound. Unformed minds and limbs awaited untethered souls.

We moved.

We were joined - or we joined.

Thoughts. Emotions. Images from a mind that was so used to seeing in darkness, color was painful.

Color. So much color. Bright refractions, like crystal shards afloat upon the air.

Gone… where did it go?

A sound. A voice. Deep. Powerful. We don’t know it is called baritone, only that it belongs here. One of us. One of us, but not connected. It belongs here. We are comforted when it is here.

Another. Slower. Always there. It has always been with us. It lifts and falls. It is soothing, even when it growls. It makes the sounds Idil'Vas, Imar'Vesz, as if each were a song independent, and yet harmonious. It laughs, but only when the baritone is near.

I find it again. My hand clenches around the soft thing. It is one of my favorite things. It is soft. It awakens my skin. I try to put it in my mouth, but it makes my eyes squeeze closed. My face scrunches. I do not realize it has tickled my nose.

It is one of my favorite things.

I hold it so tightly that the other hand clenches too. The one that is not attached to this body. The one that lies, heart beating slow, lungs expanding and contracting in a quiet rhythm, eyes closed in sleep or reverie.

That laugh. Her laugh. Not the one that has always been with us… a different one. “You are going to pluck me bald, you little imp.”

We are once again joined. We are once again whole.

My heart slows. My breathing shallows. Falling in time with my other half.

We do not realize she has removed the soft, white feather from our hand.

We succumb again to the quiet.

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

mazeofthorns

Re: Dragons in the Shadows

Post by mazeofthorns » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:08 am

KALYIN
Whatever It Takes, Imagine Dragons

Things were changing. Such was the nature of life in the depths. Politics as strong as any surface storm raged through a House. Through a Temple. Through the Melee Magthere. Through the Sorcere. Oft times through a city.

Either you played the game taking each win as each loss, with furious emotion. Delight or damnation. Elated or Enraged. Or… you were flotsam in the underriver and taken where ever the dark water flowed.

As a male in a society that placed females above all and rewarded chaos, navigation was a dangerous endeavor. He knew this, Imar’Vesz knew. His sire was not a gentle teacher. Some lessons would only be remembered through pain. Imar’Vesz did not begrudge his sire nor his mother. There wasn’t all the time in the world for lessons to be learned. Imar’Vesz wondered which ones they had to leave out. How they decided which lessons to impart? What information didn’t they tell him so they could tell him what they did?

A noble line going back generations flowed inside him yet things were changing. Would something as easily split as blood matter? His sister would say yes. Yet he was still not sure.

Breaking away from their sire and mother meant more than distance measured in leagues. They broke away from so much more. So, he had realized he was no longer Imar’Vesz. No longer their creation. He had to be his own creation. He would be Illuminating, he would be Kalyin.

So it was Kalyin on an errand. He didn’t want this errand. He had been given a choice. Nothing imaginative. Do it or else. When the or else included his sister. He chose ‘Do it’. Everytime.

Brown viper felt his stress and struck. Fangs filled with venom buried into his shoulder just for an instant. It was painful but gone were the days he would be ill from it. Kalyin stilled his thoughts. He relaxed his muscles and spoke softly to his companion. “Worry not, a simple strike to the one in the room and we are homeward bound.” He lied. He worried. It was not simple.

The city of Sshamath loomed around them. Brown viper slid from his hiding place as a fashionable belt upon the drow noble.

Kalyin waited.

He heard the commotion and closed his silver eyes. ‘Hurry.’ He thought.

He heard the striking of metal upon marble. ‘Faster.’ He thought.

Then he heard a different sound. The shouting stopped. And so much emotion flooded him he felt nothing.

It wasn’t until he finally found the pieces of Brown Viper that his emotions got the better of him. He took the two pieces gently and fled. He ran foolishly into the cavern outside the relative safety of the city until he could run no more. He fell to his knees clutching his companion tightly to his chest. And silently, he allowed tears to paint spirit tearing paths down his cheeks.

He would be rewarded for being successful for Brown Viper had struck true. An empty congratulations it would be. Never. Never again. ‘I will avenge you.’ His usually honey toned voice gripped in sorrow hissed.

Staggering to his feet he began his search. A search for power.
KALYIN -- "Black Cobra will aid your injuries should you stand close.... or he may strike you, depending on mood."

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:07 pm

A LESSON IN PROPER USE OF POWER

The parchment was inked with a simple spell, knock. As soon as the incantation was read the paper would crumble to ash. Upon the back in flowing script that had nothing to do with the spell were these words: “I am arrived. Second House.”

Webs are sticky things. The webs of Lolth more so. Chaos reigned so when his bow to the drowess wearing a priestess insignia went unrecognized, well, it isn’t as if Kalyin was surprised. Add to that he had bowed first and /then/ gotten the hell out of her way, meaning that she’d had to wait to get to the fountain and well… it went downhill from there.

“No homage to the temple in his colors.” The red garbed male drow calling himself, killian, with the priestess announced.

Kalyin had to admit that was a new one. In the houses he’d been in and known. None of them wore temple colors. Not to mention that temple colors were different depending on the temple’s Archpriestess. Sometimes the First House Matron negotiated the colors of the temple. Yet more surprising than that was what the male drow said next.

“A heretic house perhaps.” He declared.

Kalyin froze. One didn’t just throw about the word ‘heretic’. If the male had intended to scare Kalyin he had succeeded. Not that Kalyin had shown any reaction. He was well trained. Kalyin stayed silent. Waiting.

“You would think, One would know when to bow and not to bow to give respect to the dreaded queen.” The priestess said.

“His House must have poor trainers. Which can be remedied easily.” The male quipped.

So first a heretic now a thinly veiled threat? Kalyin started planning then. He would have let the whole incident go as he was sure they were just asserting their positions. Nothing unusual there. However, calling his Matrons house heretical and then threatening to damage his Matrons property… Kalyin planned to show them that one did not do such things.

The lovely Vierna had witnessed the interaction and between swings from her flask she spoke up. “Was pretty sure he did bow.. right after m'self.”

Kalyin spoke then. “Is the honored one saying that my previous bow was not to her liking?” He didn’t wait for an answer but simply dipped down into another bow, exactly like the first - graceful.

“Who is your Matron Mother?” The priestess demanded.

“Matron Mother Narcelia, most honored one.” Kalyin replied immediately.

And then… the priestess admitted she had purposefully ignored his first bow but had seen it. That she was using Kalyin as if he were some commoner to be abused in public. “That bow pleases the dreaded queen more so than the first attempt.” She said grudgingly.

None of Kalyin’s anger at being used in such a fashion showed. No. He was well trained.

Archwizard Sol’vyr arrived then and inserted himself into the fray. Kalyin gave the male drow a respectful nod as was his due.

Unfortunately, the priestess and her male decided to play the ‘You are a heretic.’ coin upon the Archwizard as well. Kalyin attempted to give the Archwizard a warning look that said -- Do not get himself in trouble on Kalyins account. “You are new to the city no? And Kalyin is not of my house, I am houseless, and only serve The Devils table, Andunor, and the Sorcere.” The Archmage told them.

“If you are houseless then you are a heretic.” Proclaimed the priestess. “ I will speak to the counsel and I will speak to the arch priestess as well and have you declared a heretic.”

The priestess eventually dismissed Kalyin. By that time. His plan was finished. It was simple and elegant. No powerful Matron appreciated their property being abused or their House name besmirched. It was almost too easy.

A few days later, Kalyin was with his most honored Matron Mother Xar’zith when he spotted the drow male. He watched as the male breezed by Matron Xar’zith. “Perhaps the killian should pay attention to where he is.” Kalyin called out to the male in red.

“And that is?” The male stopped and turned, his tone smug.

“Truely? You do not know? How awkward for you.” Kalyin told him with a slight smile.

The lovely Vierna huffed from nearby muttering. Something direct and unkind most likely.

“Apologies mistress Vierna but I have my duty.” Kalyin offered Vierna attempting to soothe her.

Vierna gave a huffy sound of acknowledgement.

“Your duty is to question the temple?” The killian demanded.

Matron Xar’zith spoke then. “Who is this male who yaps about the Temple?” She demanded with more authority than the male had had a moment before.

Kalyin could barely contain his glee, yet he managed a serious expression and his tone was ever respectful as he spoke to his Matron. “Honored Matron Mother Xar’zith, this is a killian. Male to the priestess I mentioned to you."

Kalyin had indeed told his Matron about the encounter. He told her every detail. Kalyin included his profuse apology for being a part of the spectacle in a very public area that might make House Xar'zith look weak.

“I am beholden only to our Dread Queen, so you may wish to fix your statement.” The killian declared.

“I would be pleased to teach you a proper bow.” Kalyin hinted sounding as if he was doing the killian a favor. Since the male had yet to bow to the Matron.

“I am an appointed and sanctified matron of the second house of this city.” Matron Xar’zith said offering the killian a chance to correct his disrespectful attitude. “Sanctified by the Archpriestess of the Temple. You might have heard about it.

“The Archpriestess has yet to appear since our return.” The killian replied. “She has much to account for as our Queen is not pleased of recent actions.”

Kalyin was impressed at the audacity of this male. He was airing temple dirty laundry in public. /Before/ he had even spoken with the most powerful female in the city.

“Curious I have met her two tencycles ago myself.” Matron Xar’zith mentioned casually. “A bold statement for a fool who disrespects hierarchy." She added.

“The Archpriestess has not found time for you? How embarrassing for you, kililan.” Kalyin added just a bit of concern for the poor killian in his tone.

“She is to answer for her lack of duty.” The Killian told them.

Kalyin was certain the Archpriestess would not be pleased at being spoken of in such a disrespectful manner.

“I am a Matron, killian. I offer you a chance to apologize.” Matron Xar’zith said in cool, calm tones. No one needed her to say.. 'Or else.' Everyone in the room understood that an apology had better be forthcoming.

Kalyin had to keep from bouncing on the toes of his feet in his excitement. He would have put coin on the fact that the killian would not apologize. He relished the moment.

“And I am Killian Matron." He declared.

Matron Xar'zith calmly waited.

"Though you lack any shown colors to our Queen.” He told her.

Matron Xar'zith calmly waited.

“You will know we stand outside the houses.” He continued. As if that gave him permission to be disrespectful to a Matron! Disrespectful to the Archpriestess Herself!

And that is when, much to Kalyins delight, Matron Mother Xar’zith finally tired of waiting. It was a very brief battle. The killian lay dead upon the cold stone floor of the Hub.

“He was a few more sentences from having my boot up his backside anyway.” Lovely Vierna said into the quiet after the battle, inbetween swigs from her flask.

“He was tested and found weak.” Matron Xar’zith said with the calm finality of a powerful Matron.

Kalyin finished his work much later. He held up the gift his glorious matron had given him. It was cleaned and now white and polished. Kalyin had etched, in elegant script, into the bone of the killians skull: “A Lesson in the Proper Use of Power”

// Many thanks to Matron Xar’zith, Rha Nel, Vierna & Yaz’arela for making the UD so exciting!
KALYIN -- "Black Cobra will aid your injuries should you stand close.... or he may strike you, depending on mood."

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:24 pm

TOOL OF FIRE

The parchment was inked with a simple spell, Identify. As soon as the incantation was read the paper would crumble to ash. Upon the back in flowing script that had nothing to do with the spell were these words: “First House.”

At the speed of thought. That’s what Kalyin was capable of now. Draw-adjust-push and a cascade of ice materialized from above his choice of destinations. The ice crashed down and crushed with the satisfying screams of accompaniment. If he could think it he could do it.

Yet here he stood… barely. This time he’d stumbled forward. The sudden adjustment from absolute power to hardly any was jarring. Becoming more jarring as he was given more and more power. Especially with enemies nearby. Especially with /her/ nearby. Watching for another mistake.

“You are fortunate I am not in a whipping mood.” She’d said to him earlier after finding out his sister had fallen.

Kalyin winced at the memory. It had never occurred to him that his sister could possibly /fall/. He had always been the one in need of protection. How the abyss had she /fallen/?

Then he winced again after the human female had fallen protecting his sister.

“THAT is how it is done Kalyin.” She had said in cold tones. Clearly implying that should his sister fall again that he had better be dead as well.

And just like that… he was a tool. He took a deep breath. Here in a place where they would not find him he allowed his expression to mirror his emotions. Blazing anger gave way to fierce determination. He shouldn’t have been surprised that he had ended up where he began all those years ago. His sire had warned him. Prepared him.

Idil’vas didn’t ask him about those years he was gone. Not a long time for drow. A blink of an eye. A lot can happen in the blink of an eye. A lot can happen at the speed of thought.

Kalyin swallowed. He steadied himself. Hours of prayer and evidence presented. Then at the speed of thought he gathered-held-changed-shifted. One second he was on fire, every nerve screaming in agony. The next second… He… Was… Fire.

Laughter echo’d off the walls.

// Many thanks to Matron Xar’zith & Idil'vas for making this possible!

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:14 am

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

The parchment was inked with a simple spell, Light. As soon as the incantation was read the paper would crumble to ash. Upon the back in flowing script that had nothing to do with the spell were these words: “Surface. Myon found. ”

Being killed was not as fantastic as the temple would have one believe, Kalyin thought. The priestesses would tell the young male warriors what an honor it was. The height of duty in sacrificing oneself to save a female drow. That a male must do this without hesitation. That a male must do this without fear of anything save the Spider Queen Herself. Should a male survive after a female has fallen… well there were worse things than death. Priestesses of the Spider Queen knew them all.

Kalyin was the First Son of the First House in Anundor. Yet he held no power over the females he served. If he refused they could whip him, torture him or worse exile him. So, he obeyed.

He knew that the surfacers would most likely think they were a raiding party. In truth they were but not the sort the little villagers might think.

Merchants stopped on a bridge. An elven lass speaking to them in the local trade language. Pack horse nearby. Three guards for the horse. That is what the surfacer saw as he passed by. A fine illusion.

Then suddenly broken by just a few words from the elven lass to the merchants. “Then I invite you to Anundor. The /only/ trade hub of the underdark.”

Instantly the surfacer saw a totally different scene. A mighty drowess from the underdark. Holding the merchants hostage. Making demands that if not met would result in gleeful bloodshed. No doubt the surfacer pictured a sneer on her beautiful face.

Kalyin thought the surfacer was going to fall on his face. His shock at the sudden realization that a drowess was a few feet from him caused him no end of terror. Or so his body language screamed as Kalyin watched.

“Uh… I will just.. Walk on by..” The surfacer had stuttered quickening his pace and getting to the gates of Gull’dran as fast as he could without running. Smart that, for prey runs. Prey is chased.

Kalyin hissed his sigh from his position under a bush. They needed to hurry and leave.

The conversation ended. The merchants allowed on their way. But instead of leaving the drowess commanded Kalyin go into the village. Kalyin should have argued. He should have refused. However the thought of what would happen if he refused was weighed against the risk of going past surfacers… Kalyin knew that drow punishment was worse than anything the surfacers might think up. He had the scars to prove it. His matron was already watching him for failure like a bat.

There were many surfacers inside the little village. It looked to his silvery eyes like auction cycle in the slave pits. So many races in one place. He could have turned around. He should have turned around. Should have escaped. But the thought of them making their way to where the drowess stood waiting. The thought of his inability to be able to protect her from so many was unacceptable. They would kill her.

Attempting to remain unnoticed, he did not run as much as walk quickly past the crowd. Which in hindsight was ridiculous. He wasn't foolish enough to think he'd remain unnoticed. Kalyin knew how this would go. His companions tried to follow as he made it past the first group. However, one of the surfacers, perhaps two, did not like the look of his companions.

Kalyin heard someone call out. He heard cursing and a battle ensued. It hurt but Kalyin continued on. The pain of his trusted companions murdered as they covered his escape was.... horrible.

The surfacers gave chase just as he knew they would. Just as he planned. They caught up as he moved from bush to bush further into the little village area. He calmly lead them on a merry chase away from the drowess.

That was until the flood of fear hit him like a hammer to his head. Kalyin remember thinking it would be interesting to see their faces when the golden cobra became a handsome drow male at his death.

Kalyin felt cold stone and couldn’t remember how he’d gotten there. He hurt but he knew better than to be caught lying down. He rolled to his feet and was instantly dizzy. The room tipped and he found himself crashing against the wall.

Stone wall… metal gate… the smell of.. Humans. Kalyin tried to keep from emptying his stomach and was successful. He looked weak enough without vomiting in front of his captors. There were five of them.. No bloody abyss… three? He fought to get his vision working properly. He settled upon two on the other side of the barred door.

They wanted answers. Answers that they would not get. Their version of torture was more like a celebration that had gotten out of hand after drink and certain mushrooms. Painful but with no imagination. Small favors.

The First Son of the First House found himself back in the underdark. There was time missing. There was always time missing. What he did know, the only thing that gave him a modicum of comfort was that the drowess was alive. Unharmed.

He would give himself a little time to recover. Then.. for the murder of his only trusted companions in this dark, evil world… he would seek vengeance.

// And who says forays onto the surface can’t be fun! Thanks to all of those who hand a hand… and blade in this adventure.

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:47 pm

GOLDEN COBRA

The parchment was inked with a spell, polymorph. As soon as the incantation was read the paper would crumble to ash. Upon the back in flowing script that had nothing to do with the spell were these words: “I am no longer yours to command. Find your information elsewhere.”

The slight movement of air and his reflexes were activated. Not fast enough. Not nearly fast enough as Kalyin found himself pinned to the stone wall of the alley with a warm calloused hand like a vice around his throat. “You are too slow and too weak, Imar’vasz.” The deep baritone hissed in his ear.

There was no use in talking since there was no breath to be had. So, Kalyin inserted the blade he held into the small space between leg armor and pelvis piece. He didn’t have the strength he wanted nor the angle he’d like but as the razor sharp dagger pierced skin he made his point.

Kalyin was unceremoniously dropped. He’d been about a boot length off the ground and as soon as he felt the alleyway under his boots he backed up from the other drow. Well out of weapons reach.

The other drow was shorter yet he seemed taller by virtue of his confidence. Annoyingly cocky in Kalyins estimation. Always acting as if he knew everything. A true son of a bitch. A cloak covered most of the older drow. Kalyin watched warily but what was visible was a study in strength and battle readiness. This drow was a warrior through and through. Although at this point he was downing a healing drought and Kalyin hoped he had nicked the femoral artery. Would serve his sire right. Kalyin stood at the ready. Grinning.

The older drow lifted his silver eyes and they zero’d in on the dagger Kaylin held. “Is that /my/ blade?” The older drow asked as his hand reflexed to the place the dagger had been on his belt just seconds before.

Kalyin’s grin grew. He had grabbed the blades hilt as the other drow grabbed him.

“You were distracted.” The older warrior began. “You follow another and you do not have the stealth necessary.” Even though his voice was quiet there was no mistaking the disapproval.

Kalyin wanted to point out the the one he followed had no idea. But it would be useless.

“And further, you seek after what you can never have.” The warrior’s disgust was evident in his expression.

“Perhaps.” Kalyin replied.

“Why torment yourself?” Asked the warrior his tone was well and truly puzzled.

“Perhaps I would rather the torment than nothing at all.” Kalyin told him.

Kalyin had tried to leave it be. Tried to keep away from the one that drew him as water was drawn over a waterfall. But he couldn’t. Somehow he ended up in their company. The agony was excruciating. Yet it was /something/.

Kalyin shook himself. The memory of his sires visit was unwelcome. He had let his mind wander and that was what it found in his absence.

He had left the First House’s mansion angry and disturbed. Caught in webs he had known were there and he struggled. His connection to nature allowed him to walk through every other web but this one. He knew very well that struggling just made the webs cling tighter.

Suddenly the snakes covering him where he lay, his arms crossed under his head, began to writhe. Slithering over him as if he were a skeleton to crawl into for a place to hide. It would be an odd sight he supposed. Such a handsome drow with five poisonous snakes wriggling upon him from head to toe. Black Cobra yawned at him. Kalyin stilled his mind and spoke soothingly to his companion. He went back over what had transpired earlier.

“Each and every First House stars out as a lesser house.” The First Matron had told them. “They do fairly well, grow rapidly. Then they become the First House and rapidly draw attention. Especially those who are still in training. They start to plot and try to destroy us. You need to be hardened and strong. That is why I said what I had to.” She seemed to struggle to say this. She had lied to Kalyin to put him in the position she thought would ‘harden’ him.

“You were misinformed if you think I am not aware of drow politics and how to play the game, matron.” He’d told her. For all she’d managed to do was pull him into a world he wanted out of.

“This is not about politics Kal.” She said evenly, cooly. “You make me weak.”

He saw his sister blink, startled at the matrons admission.

“No. You do that.” Kalyin countered. He was not going to take blame, not this time.

“I suppose.” She replied. “If we were Lolthite though you would not be whipped. You would be on an alter. And I would be crying as the dagger would meet your heart.”

Kalyin had to grab Black Cobra lest the snake launch itself to the nearest individual and attack them. It felt his anger, it felt his horror. And as his truest companion it wanted to kill whatever it was that had caused Kalyin to feel such things.

Kalyin nodded. It was not the first time he’d heard such threats. Anyone near priestesses of the Spider Queen long enough knew their ways. Gleeful torture followed by savage sacrifice. That his matron would be sad to do it didn’t make the suggestion anywhere close to better.

“When my Mentor asks why, you may tell him that you thought of sacrificing me upon an alter.” Kalyin told her as he performed a low bow to her, so graceful and near perfection that had anyone walked in just then they would think Kalyin was an exceptionally dutiful and respectful House male.

Then he turned on his heel and left.

Kalyin wasn’t sure where he was as he stared at the caverns ceiling and the glowing lichen there. His companions finally settled down, their silky skin wrapping around him for warmth. Lately the caverns seemed bigger. He could swear he heard them breathing. He could also swear he heard murmuring as if someone was trying to talk to him but he could not figure out which way the voices came from. He had gotten used to the awful transition from standing as a drow to slithering upon the ground. He no longer felt ill at the sudden change of perspective.

Yet being able to become something else physically wasn’t the only thing happening. He could feel the pull of other changes. Subtle changes to his way of thinking. Like a whisper in his ear. Like a breeze that caressed his hair. Here as drow he was swiftly becoming connected to something immensely bigger than he’d ever imagined.

At the speed of thought the air shimmered around him. There was a second of supreme agony as his drow self fought to hang onto form for drow were supreme. The air heated up as Kalyin threw away the lies of the priestesses. That males were tools to be used and thrown away on a whim. That males could never attain power enough to protect themselves. That wisdom was reserved exclusively for the Spider Queens priestesses. The shimmer vanished.

He was Golden Cobra. The other serpents writhed and twisted around him, on him, in their joy at his arrival. He was their leader. They would do anything he required freely, enthusiastically. Even risk their own lives to protect his. They would never threaten him nor see him as a tool. It was an exhilarating experience each and every time.

Silvery serpent eyes gazed at his domain. A forked tongue slithered in and out giving the place a taste. His silky scales felt the life in the stone under him. But he was not simply a snake. He was more… much more.

// Huge thanks to Narcelia, Coran’zen, Idil’vas, Xellree and Shea for making the RP so interesting and deep for Kalyin.

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:41 pm

FLYING

The small box able to fit into ones palm arrived at the Xar’zith mansion. It was a lovely affair wrapped in blue silk tied with a black silk ribbon. Tucked under the ribbon was a little piece of thin black parchment. Written in silver ink, in drowish runes, the script exquisit, was one word. “Imar’vesz.”

The cavern stones were dusty. None had been through here in ages. Kalyin stood barefooted at the top of the falls. A small trail wound behind him in the dust. It was a single wavy line from the small hole that led into a more oft traveled cavern than this. There were no footprints. No boot prints. Kalyin left no trace of passing. Even standing here in the dust when he moved there would be nothing to prove he had ever been here. It was as if the natural world jealously wanted to keep their Lord of Vipers all to itself.

The breeze from the falling water ruffled his roguishly styled hair. He had every intention of diving into the cold water. Wash away the cycles events. Yet he still stood here minutes… hours later? What was time when set against memories? And scent was what brought memories out in the most vivid way. The fragrances that coated his skin and hair were ones he wanted to last. The water would take that away. So his mind wandered.

Earlier it had been clear to Kalyin that a slave pin was not the place to learn about humans. He realized that knowing what caused them pain physically was not the same as knowing them. His training was woefully lacking.

He had been looking for ways to observe. Ways to interact. And as he stepped from the portal he found one.

There was a gathering. Three men and they spoke something Kalyin did not understand. Yet their movements and the tone of their voices painted the canvas in Kalyins mind well enough. He was captivated for the emotion was thick. If he had been Golden Cobra he would have been able to /taste/ it.

The Hawk stood slightly behind the others who faced each other. His sharp inquisitive gaze watching the other two yet he was aware enough that he glanced at Kalyin noting his arrival.

Kalyin had frozen in his tracks. There was no way to tell if the heated argument would eventually spill upon those nearby. His hands twitched once and he was ready to deal with whatever might happen. Risk was a way of life not a luxury.

The other two were like panthers. Deep rumbling growls issuing forth as they circled each other looking for weaknesses to exploit. The black panther suddenly reached out and grabbed the blue panther by the cloak. Clearly putting a physical punctuation point upon the threat as if words alone would not be strong enough.

Blue panther let him keep his hold. Kalyin couldn’t be sure what it might mean. Had blue panther been drow then remaining in black panthers grasp showed that blue panther did not fear the other in the least. Saying “Take your petty grip of my clothing since you are not bold enough to take me by the throat, fool.”

Humans though… he could not be certain that Blue panther wasn’t afraid of pushing the other off. Then Blue panther spit in the Black panthers face. And Kaylin understood that Blue panther had just turned Black panthers grab to his own advantage.

The Hawk’s expression was not one of concern or fear. It was amused. He smirked followed by a subtle smile. The Hawk was clearly in the Blue panthers camp. The Hawk’s presence a subtle reminder to both of that fact. The man oozed of confidence he not only wanted the battle to rage but seemed certain that Blue panther would prevail. Or… could it be that The Hawk would be the winner here? Was it possible that The Hawk played The Game? Maneuvering pieces to suit himself?

Kalyin jumped his gaze to the other two nearby. A tall handsome man with his right hand upon his hip. The man smiled, not just any smile. No, this was a jesters joviality displayed with rows of teeth like ancient knights clad in bone standing at attention. The handsome jester motioned Kalyin closer. Kalyin had to admit this human had style.

The other was drow. A witch. She was rambling hysterically as she brought out cards. “"The knight of pentagrams, removed from the shackles of the old. Now faces fear, and anxiety. Yet- Yet the battle is fought within his mind."

The Black panther ignored the affront. The Blue panther moved to take the others wrists and throw him off. Yet his having the upper hand of not fearing the others threats and taunts changed.

It was as if all air had suddenly vanished from the cavern. The Blue panther stilled. He stilled with fear. His expression flicked from frown to shock, back and forth, back and forth.. his tone darkened. His hands turned to fists with the metal of the gauntlets creaking and whining. Black panther had come upon something that instantly took all Blue panthers power. For Blue panther became lesser, deflated like a shadow that shrinks when light moves past it.

The Hawk knew it too for he spoke then. A few calming words that held a warning as he attempted to give Blue panther time to regain his composure.

The handsome jester spoke then with a language Kalyin understood. “I’m terrified of you. I’m not even kidding. And a little turned on too.” He seemed to have peculiar timing. His quips coming without warning and falling from his lips in a manner that seemed quite merry without even a smattering of acerbity.

Blue panther gathered himself and shot back a retort.

The witch drew a card once again. This time upon the card stands a royal looking woman with a crown upon her head. She holds a golden chalice.

Kalyin glided over and behind the witch and the jester effectively using them as shield should things go awry. His need to protect himself with any means necessary was habit.

The Hawk had moved closer to the panthers and was bolstering Blue panther shifting the power more away from Black panther. The Hawk’s smile shifting from cold to subtly mocking. Although whatever Black panther had threatened still gave him enough power to keep the others from becoming physical.

The witch pulled out another card. An orb hovering in space, the orb seems to be Toril itself. “Things so seemingly steady, crumbled to the ground like a house of cards. The queen of chalice, at the center. The world, at stake." She rambled again, her shoulders shaking as she snickers.

Kalyin’s attention was captured by that card. He knew of such decks. He had seen them used. No doubt that the witch could read them expertly. Yet it was interpretation. She was reading for the situation yet she had not counted upon Kalyins presence. And with him there, the meaning shifted.

Blue panthers tone changed. He spoke but three words and looked at The Hawk. As if some puzzle had been solved. He disengaged from Black panther with purpose and left with The Hawk. The witch departing as well.

… the sound of the water falling and the feel of the spray brought Kalyin back to the present. A dagger, the very one that Kalyin had stolen from his sire, rested loosely in his grip. Kalyin had used it then licked it clean instead of taking the sample of blood he’d gained to be used for other nefarious purposes. Again working contrary to the decades of training he’d endured.

He smiled. It was a small thing to disobey. To do the opposite of what he knew he should. His time with the handsome jester was the same.

Never was Kalyin allowed to choose who he spent time with. Kalyin was a tool to be used as needed. It was not all bad certainly but the choice was never his. Until now.

They had talked. The subjects varied with casual tones and no overtones of games. Kalyin had /wanted/ to be there. And when the talking was done, it was glorious.

“And where, where have you been all my life, my snake? Your Jester wishes to know.” The words, the tone, the meaning still echoed in Kalyins mind like sweet honey.

Kalyin moved his bare feet in the dust. With a simple hop he would be flying over the deep pool below and diving into the water. He enjoyed diving. The feeling of wind rushing by, the weightlessness of flight was a guilty pleasure. Yet he did not push off the stone to vault into the air.

Instead he shimmered and Golden Cobra followed his path out of the hidden cavern. And in recalling his time with his handsome jester, Kalyin/ Golden Cobra were still flying.

// Thanks to the most interesting characters brought to life by Arelith RPers. In consideration of the many secrets kept in the UD I will not add names. Hopefully you can identify yourselves and enjoy Kalyins view point.

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:58 pm

SURVIVE

The spell alerted that the box had been opened. The scry showed flames turning everything to ash. But not before the complete descriptions of everyone in the room was detailed.

He heard a whimper. It was his own. His body no longer obeyed him to keep quiet. There was no quiet with the pain screaming at him. He could barely recall his own name. He was on fire. He had told her ‘no’. Now he understood why she got what she wanted. When he had finally breathed ‘yes’ between gasps for air and screams it had been too little too late.

He didn’t care where he was. Couldn’t be bothered to care. Right up until he heard them. The shuffling feet of the downtrodden. The muted murmuring of elven and human speech. Mournful and melancholy like the sad humming of a muted whip striking again and again.

Someone gasped. They had noticed him. He’d been thrown into the slave pit. Any hope of survival vanished. A tentative hand drew back the flea infested blanket. By the curses that followed it was clear to Kalyin that not enough red blood covered his ebony skin.

Worse, someone had recognized him. There was a brief argument but the thought of instant gratification against one of the drow who had tormented some of them won out. Kalyin didn’t think he could hurt anymore than he already did. As they fell upon him, he knew he was wrong.

The memory faded quickly as he found himself on a rug. He struggled to recall things. His name. Where he was, why he was here... and all of that was interrupted. As he moved to sit up he felt the unmistakable coolness of metal upon his neck. He had trouble breathing as he froze in place. Any expression of pain was instantly replaced with a practiced neutral look.

Kalyin.. Yes, that was it. And the room did not smell of anything he recognized save the sharp metallic scent of blood. Shifting his gaze down he knew it to be his own. Very carefully lifting his gaze he looked for some indication of the drow house he now sat in. Yet none of the color schemes he saw registered.

“My name is Nehala.” Said a voice behind him, the scimitar moving just a little to indicate that this, Nehala, was the one ready to end him if necessary. But he couldn’t place the accent. And… she was speaking… human speech. “You are the same man whom was killed the day of the auction, are you not?” She asked.

Kalyins mind worked furiously. What auction? Killed? Then suddenly time shifted spinning his mind forward. He was no longer in that city under the mainland. He was elsewhere.. Andunor. Kalyin fought the vertigo as a female human sat down in front of him. One he didn’t recognize.

“Is something going on that are making underdark bold to attack surface?” She asked.

He didn’t let his gaze linger on her. His attention was on the female holding the scimitar. It was she that he needed to convince not to press any harder against his jugular. “Well truth be told I was a cobra at the time.” His voice shook and he cursed himself silently.

Weakness was bad. All drow out of any of the spider queens cities knew this. It was a lesson of pain until it was habit. So as Kalyin held up his empty hands to show he had no weapon he considered his options. A quick elbow pressed against a pocket and he knew someone had taken the lenses he had. He counted four total in the room including two he recognized. The first was from before. He saw her lock her gaze upon his hand and the two missing fingers, she might not react immediately should he get the opportunity to flee. And the other… the viper killer, who most definitely would chop him down without hesitation like a carpenter getting wood.

"Cobra, Man, you are a druid. You are still the same soul no matter the form." Mistress Scimitar said.

The one that knew how he lost those fingers spoke. “It's the same drow from the auction, yes.” Hates Her Job confirmed.

“Yes, I was there as commanded. This is a much better room than the last.” Kalyin offered.

"Tell me, why did you and your party come to the surface. Was this a planned distraction for this supposed raid?" Mistress Scimitar asked.

“And my name is Kalyin.” He offered, first to stall them so he could think. Second in the offering he would seem cooperative and they less likely to cut him down immediately. Besides, he knew they most likely knew his name so he didn’t lose much in the offering. He tried to shake the cobwebs from his mind. He needed to be sharp to be able to play The Game. His life was on the line. The only good news was that they would most likely /not/ torture him as a priestess would. Then again, as his silver gaze caught Viper Killers stance, he wasn’t so sure.

“Kalyin.” Mistress Scimitar repeated. “Why did you come back and try to speak with us.”

Kalyin was surprised for he did not remember that part. It was a damn fine question.

“You could have escaped.” Mistress Scimitar added.

“You should have.” Hates Her Job added.

“Several times over.” Viper Killer said.

Hates Her Job seemed particularly upset at Kalyin and he couldn’t imagine what would make him risk his life in such a way. He was just as astonished as they were at his stupidity. There was nothing… Absolutely nothing that would cause him to be so foolish. That is when he suddenly remembered. Idil’vas. She wasn’t in this room. Did she escape? How did he ask without giving anything away?

“I am not in a position to leave a female behind.” Kalyin said hopeful. He did not want them to know that she mattered to him.

“Her body was turned to ash. There was nothing you could do. Your other male companion fled like a coward.” Mistress Scimitar’s voice sounded cool and matter of fact.

Decades. Decades of living in the cruel world of drow. Harsh training meant to steal all of ones feeling. Weakness was death. Kalyin could barely breathe as the thought of Idil’vas turned to ash. The horrible weight of it crushed him. Yet his voice was as cool and matter of fact as Mistress Scimitar's. “Not surprising. When I saw them up here I had hoped to turn them around.” As if neither of them meant anything to Kalyin.

Viper Killer calmly produced a bag from the side of her stone enchanted hip. Upon the ground she allowed the bloodied thing to collapse upon ground by Kalyin’s side. She was making a statement. Kalyin fought to keep from lunging at her and scratching out her blue eyes. He fought to keep from jerking to the side and making the cut to his juglar for Mistress Scimitar. He fought the utter despair of having to look into his sisters sightless silver eyes and the ragged bloodied silky hair of her severed head. He gave them nothing.

“What were you and them here for?” Hates Her Job asked.

Kalyin wasn’t sure of his voice but he was relieved when he sounded steady and calm.”They? I am not certain. Something for the archmage most likely. Me? Learning of nature here on the surface.”

They all spoke over each other then. “For what purpose?” Viper Killer. “Were you aware of the raid ongoing?” Hates Her Job. “Why do you wish to learn about nature on the surface?” Mistress Scimitar.

He choose to answer the lady with the cold steel at his throat. “Purpose being the divine power I am granted is from… everywhere… thus.. It calls.” Kalyin was instantly appalled, he hadn’t meant to reveal so much but he knew it to be true. Nature did not end at a cavern entrance. It was… everywhere. “As for the raid, no.” He added quickly. Although he would dearly like to find out who it was and set them on fire for setting the surfacers out searching like an angry ant hill.

“Are you a Lolthite?” Mistress Scimitar asked.

Kalyin hoped no one saw him flinch. Why did surfacers find it necessary to speak the goddesses name aloud and call her attention to them? And in this case him? In any case, it was no secret that he was tied to something other. It did him no harm to speak the truth here. Lolth watching or not. “No. I do not serve that one.”

“Why?” Mistress Scimitar queried.

Kalyin risked turning his head to finally get a look at her. His expression very plainly said he thought she was insane to ask such a thing. “Why? Have you any idea what the spider queen is like?”

Mistress Scimitar was not what he expected. Fierce yes. But there was more, her expression was confident. She had the beautiful trappings of a tiefling. And there was something else that he could not quite put his finger on.

“You are gazing at the Breaker of House Nar’dar’zul, Kalyin. I know well what she does. My sister was taken and tortured by Lolthites as a slave.” Mistress Scimitar told him with an inner strength that only comes from having endured pain.

Out of the corner of his eye he caught the enchantments on Viper Killer fade revealing the weary frame of someone lacking proper rest for a good long while. Her painted visage remained trained pointedly upon Kalyin's own, studious and scrutinizing of his every word. Her suspicious nature would probably save her from his kin in the long run. Unfortunately for him she would think he was lying at every turn.

“Your presence has twice now coincided with a drow raid. How do you explain that, drow?” Hates Her Job accused in the form of a question.

“But all drow follow Lolth or are mandated to do so.” Mistress Simitar told him as if it were the absolute truth… which it wasn’t.

“Their torture is not exclusive to slaves. Just because I was in a house did not make me safe from such things. I escaped to come here.” Kalyin explained, which sounded much better than that his house fell and he was on the run from the winning houses assassins.

“You’ve come to the wrong place.” Hates Her Job told him. But she had misunderstood.

Kalyin didn’t mean to the surface. He meant he’d escaped from the last city to come to Andunor. And he hadn't come alone. There were others. Rare survivors of a fallen house. The few intelligent enough to have a contingency plan. The few quick enough to be able to use it. And they had come here. Not to refuge for there was no refuge for drow. But to a place where they might start again to attain power. Power enough to survive.

Kalyins silvery gaze traveled over the females who thought they held him captive. He would answer questions learning from them as they learned from him. Their concerns were not his. Their world was not his. The best he could do was survive. There was nothing else. Just survive.

//Thanks to Idil'vas, Elenghar, Nehala Rein, Hilde Ragnarrsdottir, Afya & Klavdiya Volkov for providing some down and dirty capture RP!

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:10 am

IT'S NOT A CRY THAT YOU HEAR AT NIGHT,

IT'S NOT SOMEBODY WHO'S SEEN THE LIGHT,

IT'S A COLD AND IT'S A BROKEN HALLELUJAH.

The mage opened the door and held it for her. “Please.”

As she entered before him her silver gaze swept the room. It had changed a great deal since she had been here last. It was messy. There were piles of parchment and open tomes scattered on every surface; on every available expanse of floor; piles of books that had either been discarded, or were yet to be searched; even miscellaneous vials and bottles rolled here and there.

The male approached the largest table in the room. An open book rested near its edge. Draconic text was written upon the pages. “I wish I had your Mother’s notes, Idil. Though it is possible that she did not have that many notes left from the process since she did it mostly herself...” He was silent for a few moments as he flipped through pages in the tome. “I have, however, managed quite well to locate some parts of the ritual probably needed for the process…” His hand darted to catch a vial filled with blood that lay next to the book, and he tossed it toward her. “Drink this one first, please.”

The vial was thin. The blood inside it had a slightly different hue than what was normal for a drow or other humanoid. Idil’vas removed the stopper and the extra acidity of the substance hit her in a wave. It burned her nostrils, and… it called to her.

Her voice had become husky. “What sort of dragon is this from?”

“It is from a young black dragon from the surface. I would have preferred Shadow dragon blood directly… but as you know… they are much more difficult to find.”

She watched the vial as though it were a relic to be studied. To be conquered. Her voice still held that lower timber as she tried to keep her thoughts in order against the pull of what she held. “Mother said that from… later experiments of sorts, she learned that all dragons are connected. That supposedly… one’s ‘type’ can be changed…” Was the drowess imparting information to the mage? Was she asking if he knew this to be true? Was she stalling? Was she simply assessing all of the possible outcomes that would follow in The Game after this move? Very likely-all those things and more. “Still, you believe it is wise to proceed in this fashion rather than hunt one of actual shadow?”

The male continued to wander around the room pushing piles of parchments out of his way, organizing something with both of his hands. “I do believe that… this blood will just act as a catalyst to stir up your own. It will not directly affect the process you have already awakened.”

She held the vial for several more heartbeats. Then she merely turned it up and downed the contents as if it were cool fresh water, or a shot of blood whiskey. The blood did not taste much different than any other. It had the same metallic twang of prey that had not been finely distilled.

Meanwhile the mage had been carefully clearing away scraps of paper, leather and metal from a section of the stone floor. “And now… I’d rather have you naked when you enter this circle.” He motioned to his ritual circle as he continued to clean up debris.

She licked a remaining drop of blood from her lips with the tip of her tongue. She never had a second thought as she began to remove the scaled plating and cloak she wore. She continued to watch him; curious, as she piled her belongings to the side.

Once the circle was clear he moved back to the table and picked up a device; a pile of metal cuffs and short chains that were clearly meant for binding. She gave the apparatus a dubious look.

“Ah… then… on your knees,” The wizard stammered. “…hands behind your back so I can bind them. Just for my own safety, I will assure you.” He moved towards her with the shackles in his hands.

“You are expecting a great deal of… confidence on my part, Elenghar.”

He nodded his head some. “Well, power does not come from nothing after all… and… I would rather keep all my limbs intact when trying to stir the power within you.” He paused and continued in a scholarly tone. “You know your mother’s strength… one that no-humanoid possesses… awoken from the blood. Very dangerous business.”

Idil’vas’s upper lip curled in a derisive expression. The mage was right to be afraid. That he showed it to her so willingly; well that was a bit more troubling. She knelt then; directly in the center of the ritual circle. Her expression was defiant. Her silver gaze held his in a silent warning.

To his credit, the male returned her gaze. He did not cower. He waited until she knelt and then carefully made his way toward her with the bindings. He took a knee behind her and then attached the first shackle to her ankle. The cold metal was wrapped in rothe leather that made it slightly more pleasant against the bare skin. Idil’vas took a moment to wonder just why the mage had such things on hand. The thought brought her a touch of amusement.

Soon both ankles were joined. Her feet were neatly bound together. She shifted her shoulders in discomfort. Not discomfort from the position, or the metal; discomfort from being immobilized… out of control and… at this male’s mercy.

He caught her hands one at a time and gently moved them towards her ankles. A metal cuff soon wrapped each. The short chains that ran from the cuffs to a central, large loop kept her hands behind her back and within inches of her feet. He rose and moved out of the circle. He moved farther away than was strictly necessary – out of reach of teeth and claws.

“Alright… You might feel some pain during the process… but do not try to break the circle or try to remove the shackles. It is for your own safety; and mine…” He gave her the instruction and then took a deep breath. After a heartbeat he began to conjure.

The drowess took her own deep breath and let it out heavily. The sound was more irritation than any sort of dread.

The mage began with murmuring, something not much louder than a whisper. Some of the words were familiar to her. Others were unclear, and she couldn’t make out the meaning. Hackles rose on Idil’vas’s neck, and then ran down her back. The smooth skin of her forearms pimpled as she waited. She continued to watch Elenghar; her gaze never wavering from his form.

He spoke in Draconic. The energy in the room changed. The energy within her blood… changed. She could feel it. Slithering. Coiling. Now clawing.

The room became darker; more than even the caverns of the underdark. It was uncomfortably dark. Empty. The deeper darkness came from elsewhere. It had a malicious hue to it. It was not just an absence of light, but it… devoured the light. Something left her. Something she had not known existed, yet she felt its loss acutely.

The vacancy was suddenly filled with something far different. A low moan escaped her parted lips. Her back arched causing her shoulders to lean further back. She kept her gaze on the mage stubbornly, though her eyelids drooped. The sound was almost one of… pleasure.

Things before her began to shift. Waves of exchanging energy. Some directed by the mage. Some draining him. Her vision became cloudy. The mage continued to chant in draconic. Idil’vas moved against the shackles showing her unease as her vision clouded.

Sounds became distorted. An occasional word was clear. Others came garbled. Some were high pitched, and she … she would have sworn she heard… the mage screaming.

She struggled against the wavering vision and the sounds that she could not understand. Elenghar was completely lost from sight now. The room was in darkness so complete… With all the force of will she could manage she turned her mind to her anchor… her one purpose fulfilled.

An understanding crystalized within her. “Yes… I see now…” The words fell from her lips of their own accord.

Then she was falling. No. She was floating.

And then she choked. A strangled moan was pulled from her.

A hook buried itself into her left shoulder. A metal-tipped whip lash landed across her back. Another hook buried itself into her right hip, and the two pulled in opposite directions.

She ripped. Her spirit shredded along the fault line caused by the whip lash. Whatever she was made of – whatever /was/ Idil’vas leaked out in tendrils; like black oil poured into darker water.

Her physical body folded farther backward, almost double. She fought to choke back any sound; any vocal sign of weakness. The darkness wrenched it from her. The scream was piercing and primal. Just as it waned so that one might think it were over, it crescendoed again. Rising and falling with pain. Pain that came from something all-together other.

The mage entered the next stage of his ritual. His energy had found what it sought within her; that slithering shadow that was now clawing to find its own way out. He whipped at the leftover tendrils of ancestry. His magic lit a fire under the claws until they did not just look for freedom; but now enraged, they sought a victim. He was now become the fiend. The tormenter. The –other thing- that sought to be her undoing.

Her screams transformed into the vicious, enraged roars of a beast on the cusp of madness. She dug her long nails into the palms of her own hands as she tried to hold onto that thread of mortality that said ‘don’t break the chains’.

Her fingers had slid from the steeled-focus she had tried to hold. As her soul wept all that it was within some other realm, her breathing faltered.

The mage snapped his fingers. The conjuring simply winked out. A breath exploded from her. Without the magical energy that had been supporting her, Idil’vas simply fell over.

The wizard swayed some on his feet, catching his breath before slowly moving to release the drowess from her bindings. The floor beneath her was cold; as though she lay on a sheet of ice, but it did not register in her mind. Her breath came in ragged gasps. Her eyes remained closed. Rivulets of sweat trailed down her obsidian face and neck.

“Are you alright?” The mage asked after removing the bindings. Only her arms moved in the slow drift of one well-beyond exhaustion, finding something slightly more suitable than being behind her back.

The mage slapped her features lightly to see if she was conscious.

Idil’vas’s right hand shot forward like a striking cobra to grab his throat. Her eyes flew open.

Elenghar froze like some small prey animal. All he could see before him was a pair of eyes as black as the room had been moments before. Only a needle’s width of silver ringed the depthless pools. “Idil… vas… is it… you?” His words were barely a whisper.

Her breathing was heavy, like a warrior in mid-battle. Her grip began to tighten.

The male moved his hands up to hers; his fingers grasping against her strength in futility. His voice was nearly inaudible from the lack of air. “Idil… it is me… Elenghar…”

A low rumble came from her chest as she fought to clear her thoughts. After several tense moments the fingers loosened. Her hand hovered in the air for a moment, as if she had to remember how to tell it to move. At last it lowered to her side leaving the mage’s throat covered in Idil’s own blood from where she had sliced open her hands with her nails.

She placed her left hand on the floor in an effort of pushing herself to her feet, and then gave up; falling on her stomach to rest on the very cold stone floor.

Elenghar fell down when she released him and then slowly, cautiously moved himself to a sitting position. His hand flew to his throat checking his neck for damage or leaking arteries while he took in shallow breaths. “I… ah… believe… that the experiment was… somewhat… successful.” He phrased out slowly.

She opened her eyes to look at him with the quiet exchange. The black at the center of her eyes was receding; their normal silver slowly regaining ground.

“I think we will refrain from… further stirring the blood for some time… and let your body rest…” he then reached forward and placed his hand upon her back, caressing it gently.

The drowess took a slow inhale, followed by a long exhale. The mage could feel the rigidity of her muscles melt under his hand. “I was not… strong enough.” The words were clear, though she had trouble saying them. Truthfully if she had been completely in her right mind, she would never have uttered them at all.

Elenghar continued to caress her back. “You know well how strong the blood is… you know your mother too well…”

“I was losing.” She murmured. No. In truth she had already lost. She could not hold her connection to this realm.

There was a loud knocking on the door.

The mage grumbled as the moment was shattered. He then grasped her shoulder briefly before releasing it. “I will get it.”

Alone now in the room, Idil turned over. She brought her right hand up and touched the place just over her left breast. She had not imagined it. It was not some delusion of pain, or dream. The place there was darker than the rest of her skin. Now permanently blacked like a brand. Even the thin translucent scales that had once covered it were gone.

It was as if someone or something had touched her there with enough force to drive her soul out of the undertow that it had been lost in.

Voices traveled to her from the entry way. She recognized the warlock. Elenghar sounded impatient as he asked, “How can I help you?”

She finally stirred, and carefully she stepped out of the ritual circle.

“Enchanting, unless one came at a bad hour…”

“Well, not the best time, no. Perhaps slightly later… hmm?”

The sound of light metal accompanied her voice as she called toward the conversation. “It is fine, Elenghar. I am… fine.”

The male glanced over his shoulder towards the other room. “Ah... you still should rest now.”

There was a loud snap of cloth as she shook out her cloak sharply before twirling it around her shoulders. “Does my resting require your presence?” There was a hint of humor to her tone.

The mage nodded some before offering to Idil, “Well, not exactly… but…”

By the time the mage returned from the door, the drowess was once again dressed in her scaled mail. “Is everything okay now? You could stay at my place for a while longer if you'd prefer that.” He offered.

She looked at him for a long, long moment. There was something more sensual about the movement of her head as it tilted; the coldness of her gaze was muted by cunning. “One might think you wanted me to stay.”

“Perhaps... it has been long... since we have stayed together.” He offered softly “And I would also prefer to check on you... but...” He made his way towards her. “You have grown up to be a strong lady... so... maybe I am worrying for nothing... hmm?”

Her eyes had returned to their glistening, silver pools. She merely stood and watched him. Waiting.

His steps were measured as he closed the distance. Soon he was very close to her, perhaps a bit too close. He raised his hand slowly from his side towards her face, placing his hand against her cheek. She remained rooted to her position. She was not tense. She kept her gaze on the mage’s face.

He moved his thumb along the side of her nostrils, keeping his hand there. “You have grown up to be a pretty female... cunning and dangerous.” Her nostrils flared at his touch. “Quite different than the times... we played together at the house, isn't it?”

Her lips curled at the question. “Fond memories, Elenghar?”

“Sure...” His voice grew husky. “It has been quite a long time… but they are memories than I will not forget.” She reached up with her right hand and took his that rested on her cheek. As his hand was moved, the tip of his thumb touched the side of her upper lip. “So... as I offered... you may stay here if you like... Anytime... you feel like it.” After a moment he added, “There has always been more between us than just ties of a house.”

Her hand was covered in a fair amount of dried blood. The slices in her palm had sealed themselves with the dry browning substance, but were still visible. Likewise the traces she had left upon the mage’s throat. She brought his hand to her lips. In a slow motion she pressed their fullness against the mound of his thumb. The tip of her tongue slid forwards and traced his palm, up to the tip of his ring finger which she briefly drew into her mouth.

The male froze for a moment. He let out a pleased sigh.

Then she released him. “As you said. I should rest.” Once again her lips curled. “We shall save... exertions for another cycle.”

“Of course... of course...” He stammered.

Idil’vas turned toward the door without another word. The brand on her chest burned anew, and the dragonkin knew exactly what she had to do.

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:36 pm

HER CORE

Kalyin sauntered into the room. His silvery gaze falling upon the form sitting chained in the corner. It sat on its haunches stripped of everything save a loin cloth. The floor around the creature was dirty and bloody. It bore the bruises and scrapes of a struggle. Yet compared to others captured in this raid this human male was in good shape. The man wasn’t aware he was a special prize. He lifted blue eyes and stared at Kalyin as if he was just waiting for the opportunity to rip him limb to limb.

Kalyin smiled at the man. Not the cold smile of the rest of his house’s members but a smile of understanding.

The slaves had done a good job at cleaning the holding room. It was a simple affair with granite floor and marble walls. The back wall held a variety shackles and chains to bind all sizes of both wrist and ankle. All made of strong adamantine. All fastened to the wall with heavy spikes. The other three walls were etched with a spider and web motif that cost a fortune to carve. The opulence of power since only lessers were brought here to stay. The chains holding the human reached only so far and everything just past that point to the heavy steel door that was the only exit of the room - sparkled.

Kalyin took the ebony stained and spider web decorated stool he held and set it at the very edge of the clean area. Then he placed his heavy war boot on the stool and pushed it past the clean side and into the dirty area towards the captured man. The two house guards shifted noisily for if Kalyin was harmed it would be their skin flayed. Kalyin ignored them. He stepped around the stool into the dirty area and began to sit down.

The human was fast. He lunged forward like a panther pouncing. He roared his anger, his fear and his determination as he did. Then a shimmer and the human /was/ a panther. All razor sharp claws and fangs. And.. free of its bindings.

Yet Kalyin was a member of the warrior guild, the melee magthere. His muscles earned from hard work, blood and sweat. While he was no match for his Mentor, he damn well could best most on strength and guile, just like his sire. So as the panther lunged he had been ready for exactly that. Kalyin side stepped, gathered his strength and power from his legs up through his back and finally into his arm. Kalyin backhanded the side of the felines head with his spiked adamantine gauntlet.

The panther’s head jerked to the side and Kalyin followed up with a well placed kick to the creatures ribs. Just as hard as he could. Then he grabbed the dazed animal by the scruff of its neck and in a spinning motion threw it back against the wall. There was a satisfying thump as the creature hit. Then it crumpled into a heap on the hard, cold stone floor.

Kalyin stalked forward. He set his knee on the panthers chest as it panted trying to breathe. Kalyin didn’t press down. He leaned close to the animals ears and hissed a whisper in the human language. His tone pleasant. “I will set you free if you simply answer questions.”

He saw the panther eye him and Kalyin continued. “You see how they obey me? I have the power to set you free. You do not belong down here as a slave.”

The panther shimmered and was once again a human. Kalyin produced a potion of healing and fed it to the man. “What... do you... waa.. want...t to.. know?” The man gasped and groaned his tone wary.

“Everything.” Kalyin declared as he helped him up to sit and then ordered food. Kalyin provided clean clothes and bath water. Small comforts that were unexpected and appreciated. And all the while Kalyin peppered the man with questions.

What was he? How did he shift into animals? What deity gave him power to do so? What rituals did the man perform as a druid? On and on. The cycles drifted by and only when the man was so tired he fell asleep talking did Kalyin give him time to rest.

Then came the cycle where the man asked when he would be set free. Kalyin was true to his word.

When he exited the room on that cycle smoke billowed out. The crackle of a fire burning in the corner where the prisoner had been, sang hungrily. Kalyin wiped his bloody blade on the nearest guard’s tabard. “Get that cleaned up.” was all Kalyin said.

Idil’vas lay on the grass of the surface, strange water falling down around her. The humans called it rain. Kalyin crumpled to the ground beside her, his strength gone. It had taken him time to recall the ritual he’d learned from the captured human. But remember he did and he had his sister back. He lunged at her like a cobra strikes. His arms wrapping around her as if he expected her to vanish.

She uttered a weak grunt. Her lips moving but no sound emerged. Whether force of will or simply a body’s instinct she turned ever so slightly toward his warmth.

Kalyin tenderly pulled her hair from her face and he smiled. The rain mixing with the tears on his cheeks.

“K… kahl…” Her eyes fluttered but didn’t quite manage to open. “You… hot… how..” Her words were merely that of one noticing. She certainly didn’t mind the heat. She was cold to the core and welcomed it.

“I should… get you inside.. Out of the rain.” He told her, his voice a feeble whisper.

She made a weak noise of objection.

There was no fierce orb in the sky on the surface but he still pulled his cloak over to cover her. Then he simply sat with his sister in his lap and watched her. She had changed. Not much but some. The talons on her hands. The little soft scales hard to see unless one was up close. The mark on her chest. But it was not these things that caused him fear it was that which changed deeper. She had told him she had lost herself during that ritual with the archmage. And Kalyin… Kalyin was not ready to lose her. Not even a little bit.

As the light brightened around them he covered them with their cloaks in a tent of sorts. She was not ready to be moved and his days of being a strong warrior being able to carry her were long gone.

“Th.. thank you, my core.” She sighed at him.

He smiled at her term of endearment. “You are fortunate you did not come back as a dire badger.” He told her in a teasing tone that had a little bit of truth in it.

“Are you sure? I would have been the most ferocious dire badger.” She admonished playfully trying to sit up and relieve him of her burden.

Kalyin laughed in relief that she was coming back as he knew her. “That you would have.”

She pinned him with her silver gaze and looked him over from head to toe. “Are you well?” She had noticed his weakened state.

Kalyin nodded with a bit of an offended expression. “Am I not amazingly handsome even in the rain?”

Idil’vas could not help but laugh a bit though it turned into a cough. Kalyin handed her his silver flask of herbed water. After the initial sip she greedily emptied the flask.

Kalyin couldn’t think of a more beautiful thing in that moment as he watched his sister… alive.

//Thanks to the group that made this possible and to Idil'vas who made it special.

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:33 pm

BREATHE

They moved forward, the little raiding party. They carved their way onward through the burning shores. So chaotic and blood thirsty. Ever forward. There was no method to their madness these humans. They were strong, efficient and to the denizens they encountered... deadly. Perhaps they thought this was freedom.

Kalyin followed along in the searing heat. He liked the heat. And with a thought, he /was/ the heat. A flame. A fire. Primordial essence. Here on the material plane.

The whispers sounded like flames here. The crackling and hissing blended in with them and for a few moments Kalyin could breathe. He could think more clearly. Whatever it was that hounded him, pulled him, pushed him, called to him was drown out just a little. And he noticed something.

He saw… the eye of the chaotic storm. The man stood quietly, watching the raiding party. His blond hair was lifted by the heated air creating a pleasing, otherworldly effect. Piercing blue eyes watched in a fashion that told Kalyin that he saw more than what was before him. In his fisted grip was a long ebony staff. Then the man moved.

While those in his company moved like hornets from a disturbed nest, he moved with easy purpose. He did not rush as humans usually did. His footfalls were the kind of causal power that many mistook for meandering. He went exactly where he intended. He casually did exactly what he wanted. And in that moment Kalyin couldn’t decide if he admired the man… or despised him.

They neared it. And that broke Kalyins musing. Even as fire Kalyin felt the hum of it calling him. So, as the raiding party stopped he let go of the fire and became wholly himself. Although he wasn’t ever wholly himself anymore. He had connected himself with others. And it was these others that he was trying not to listen to as he watched the Eye of the Storm.

Kalyin wasn’t necessarily paying attention like he should. They were so close to a place that cried out. Kalyin was vibrating with their calls. His bones felt their song. He tried to block them out as he watched the Eye of the Storm take dagger to palm and spill blood. It was a cursory thing. Priestesses of the Spider Queen were masters at ritual and ceremony. The simplicity of this priests actions were child's play in comparison.

Then... abruptly Kalyin was suddenly on his knees without understanding how the abyss he’d gotten there! He immediately struggled to be free. To breathe! The intense pain was as if all of his nerves had been suddenly dipped into ice. The invisible hand around his throat was a grip so tight that no amount of struggle would free him.

There had been no warning. No point at which Kalyin had been able to try and resist. He had been standing, struggling with the whispers then…

Kalyin lifted his silvery gaze to the Eye of the Storm and for the first time in a very long time he was afraid. The man knelt there having no idea what he had done. He dripped his blood in offering. He spoke in guttural tones and his god had answered. And his god had answered not with grace but with power.

Kalyin continued his struggle to stand. To run. But he was unable to move. In his panik he stopped trying to block the voices. Stopped ignoring the cries desperate for his attention. That… that was when he was found.

It was not the Eye of the Storms god that held him fast on his knees. It was Kalyins. The hand around his throat turned into a caress through his hair. It was as if warm winds had been sent to calm him. The whispers that taunted him, hounded him… the cries that called to him turned into dazzling music. A chorus in perfect harmony.

Kalyin joined them in praises to his god. His voice added to the symphony that swirled around him unseen. He was rewarded with divine power. Just a little more than he had previously earned. Yet it was more.

As air filled his burning lungs, Kalyin stood. His silvery gaze falling on the Eye of the Storm. The man still kneeling and being filled as Kalyin had been. And Kalyin smiled. Behind his helm none would have seen the warm expression, nor the calculating aspect that filled molton silvery eyes.

//Thanks to the Cyrist group for their continual inspiring RP. So much great content that I managed to lose when I didn’t save that log!

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:47 pm

AGONY

“Stay here.”

Those were the words. Those were the words he used. And Black Cobra, holding all the trust he had in his serpent eyes, did exactly that. As a hundred times before Black Cobra stayed. Even though he wanted to attack what was attacking Kalyin. Even though every fiber in the snakes body cried for him to protect his companion. Black Cobra coiled up and waited.

But Idil’vas and Sekth ignored Kalyins words, they rushed forward into the fray and they got the princesses attention. Instead of allowing Kalyin and Bognar keep her attention and kill her, they rushed forward. Was it for power? Was their bloodlust such that they could not resist? Did they think that Kalyin did not know what he was doing? Did they think his command for them to stay put around the corner was idiocy?

At that moment it didn’t matter. The fully enraged princess’s attention went to Sekth and Idil’vas. She screamed in her rage and sought to kill them both. Instead of staying where she was she attacked them. Bognar knew the strategy. He deftly avoided the princess and retreated to put out her fire. He sprinted into the room and around a corner to get out of the range of her fiery spells. Then he would come back like an enraged dragon to attack again. All while Kalyin kept the princesses attention.

Rugnar executed the princesses minions with brutal efficiency. Staying well out of the range of the princesses flaming fury. It was a perfect strategy and the three worked well together. They needed no shouting of commands since they knew exactly what to do and they had complete confidence in the others abilities to execute their strategy.

And now… Kalyin watched as everything went to shit.

Sekth ran up and attempted to get in his hits turning the Princesses attention to him. Sekth's jump into shadows left the Princess attention on Idil'vas. Idil’vas having realized that the princesses defenses were deadly turned to run. Badly wounded she sought to retreat and down a healing potion. But where Bognar was able to do that because Kalyin had the princesses attention. The addition of Sekth and Idil’vas ruined that strategy. The princess saw an easy mark and thundered after Idil’vas. And Idil’vas ran… not into the room as Bognar knew to do… no she ran directly to where Black Cobra waited.

Kalyin didn’t have time to curse as he rushed forward calling for Black Cobra. Kalyin rushed into the middle of the princesses meteor storm to try and shield Black Cobra. Kalyin watched as Black Cobra turned and tried to protect him. The snake was no match for the princesses fury. His last act was to attack the princess that he thought was a danger to Kalyin. Black Cobra didn’t understand that Kalyin was perfectly safe from the princess. His strategy flawless.

Kalyin watched as his dearest companion was turned to ash.

The pain was so intense Kalyin was unable to breathe. Unable to think. Agony. Pure agony.

He turned to Idil’vas and Sekth. And his agony turned hot with rage. If they had simply stayed around the corner with Black Cobra… “I should burn you both to ash!” Kalyin shouted in his fury. And then, before he did, he turned and left.

Idil’vas chased after screaming at him. Speaking words of anger that had no meaning to him. He didn’t care. He didn’t remember what he might have said in return. And now… how long after… hours… cycles?

Golden Cobra shimmered in the jungle rain. Until it was Kalyin standing in the dead of darkness in the jungle. Somewhere off in the distance a jaguar called out. The rain pattered on the vegetation around him making music that could not soothe Kalyins wound.

Without warning Kalyin’s legs failed him and he sank down amongst the jungle ferns and grasses. He sat there, head bowed. His hair soaking wet and dripping. And he didn’t care. His attire muddy and twisted. And he didn’t care. Black Cobra was gone. Never to be again.

The jungle whispered to him about the cycle of life. They murmured to him about renewal. And Kalyin did not care. An anaconda found him there. Then a deadly jungle snake… they came from the underbrush, out of the palm trees, from little holes in the granite walls to slither to him. And he didn’t care.

As the snakes gathered to be with Kalyin, he sobbed uncontrollably. And the rain did it’s best to wash away his pain. But Kalyin was certain this agony would never fade. Black Cobra had accepted Kalyin, had trusted Kalyin, had been delighted to see Kalyin each time they were together. It didn’t matter to Black Cobra what mood Kalyin was in or his appearance or if he had been pleased or annoyed. Black Cobra accepted Kalyin like none other. And now… Black Cobra was gone.

Kalyin shimmered and became Golden Cobra. He huddled in a heap there in the jungle. Even as Golden Cobra he was in agony. And there he stayed, through dark rise and dark sets. While the burning orb steamed away the rain. He stayed until he was numb.

//Thanks to Bognar and Rugnar who have provided many LMAO adventures. To Idil’vas and Sekth who unintentionally provided the opportunity to RP the death of an adored pet/compainion.

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:31 pm

DO NOT LIGHT THE FIRE IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE BURNED

Kalyin felt the deadly swamp viper move. The small snake was curled around his neck. A living noose that was in a perfect position to choke him. In a perfect position to spit poison in his eyes. In a perfect position to strike and sink her deadly fangs into his flesh before Kalyin even knew what had happened. Kalyin smiled and made a noise of comfort to the viper. She settled.

What had they called him? Viper Lord? Kalyin supposed that might fit. He knew his charges, his companions. Yet his ability to know them and their nature did not mean that they were suddenly rothe in his presence. He did not command them like some mind spelled slave. They were dangerous predators. They were not tamed.

Perhaps that is what made the incident so odd for those who became involved? They had seen what they thought were well behaved… what? Pets? Slaves? Not vicious animals. Most in the city of Andonur were courteous to Kalyin and his pit of vipers. Oh there had been those who threatened the pit harm but they were easily dissuaded with a few words. Some had hissed or brandished weapons at the vipers yet that was easily ignored since it was merely a defensive reaction and easy to understand. No one really wants to be struck by a snake after all, it hurts.

Kalyin had been reading the message board. He was jotting down the names of the new group in Sencliff. The First House was interested in these individuals and he was tasked with making contact.

The attack came out of nowhere. The female human seemed to just appear and before Kalyin could react she was performing a whirlwind battle maneuver on the pit… /his/ pit of vipers!

The screams of pain from his pit was like claws down a steel breastplate and Kalyin staggered.

The pit gathered themselves and were off in a flash after the attacker. Kalyin was falling against the message board and then he was Golden Cobra! He fell from a few feet to hit the ground with a thud. He ignored the pain and chased after his pit.

He caught up with them in the Hub. They were searching, frantic. Kalyin became himself and prayed to pierce the very atmosphere with his sight. And there she was.

“Attacking the snakes is a very bad idea….” Kalyin’s voice was hard.

She waved at him. /Waved/. As if attacking the vipers had been some joke!

And that is when the pit found her. The vipers know nothing of reasons or talking or pity. When one attacks the pit… they attack right back.

Kalyin no longer held back his rage. His rage was fierce and scorching. Kalyin burst into a tower of fire. He joined his pit against this human female who dared attack them. She would ignite... she would blaze… She would char.

When it was done the fools that had attempted to thwart Kalyin and his pit from their prey lay dead. But they had succeeded. The human female had escaped. Kalyin’s rage was still smoldering. Until she payed for her attack, the Yorn d’Arlathil -- Will of Nature -- would not be satisfied.

Druid was the term the surfacers used although Kalyin did not know why. Will of Nature felt like truth to him. If there was any question as to what he served before any other, it was gone now. His underdark swallowed him up whole as he melted away from the city. Kalyin heard the music of the flora and fauna of the depths and it soothed him. He reached out as only the Will of Nature could and connected with it all. Here he felt alive. Here he had purpose.

He still heard the call of the surface for all nature called to him. But there the music was a frenzy. It was loud and clashing. It was not /his/.

Kalyin/Golden Cobra guided his pit of vipers into the cool, dark caverns and there he healed and soothed them. And they… they soothed Kalyin/Golden Cobra.

//Thanks to the unsuspecting Ayuu, Natasha, Red and Juni who found out what happens when Kalyins snakes are attacked. You were all really great in the chaos. Thanks to Idil’vas, Bognar and Rugnar who were pulled into the utter pandemonium. Special call out to Juni who had the best comments as the mayhem rushed by. MAYHEM!

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:35 pm

THE DARK IS NO PLACE FOR CREATURES OF THE LIGHT

The parchment was inked with a simple spell, combust. As soon as the incantation was read the paper would crumble to ash. Upon the back in flowing script that had nothing to do with the spell the page was filled with information. So much information it spilled onto the front of the parchment.

He shivered. Here in reverie the memory lept into the forefront and his mind went numb. His body recalled the event in vivid detail. The psionic attack had been so overwhelming that he could only… shiver. Like a piece of wood that as yet to be carved or shaped, he was blank.

“This one's mind is weak. It would do well as a thrall... but no time for that now.” It had said inside his mind.

Kalyin had been with the Striefleader and it was all he could do to keep the man from discovering what had happened as they boarded the ship. Yet a psionic link went both ways. And the ilithid had left something behind. A name. Uropbossk.

Kalyin clawed his way out of reverie. Gasping for breath he let the panic run its course before attempting to calm himself. He lay back on his plush bear skin rug panting. And wondering why, why that memory, why now?

By the time Kalyin met with the Striefleader, he had pushed the earlier reverie out of his mind. They were going below and he went along. Not because he wanted company. Simply because he wanted to see how they treated his charges. As his god dolled out more divine energy for Kalyin to put to use he was more inclined to leave behind the city and search out the natural spaces in the caverns he called, His.

The last couple times he had been in the lower dark something had been off. He did not mention it to his companions. They would not understand. As the Will of Nature strolled these lands those that made the mistake of attacking Kalyin were quickly given a lesson in the process of renewal.

So Kalyin was interested in how the Darkers acted in the depths. He could not call them surfacers for they had forsaken their affection for the places above and called the underdark, home. Thus he thought of them as, Darkers. He was certain they had no idea this was a test.

It did not take them long to see the signs they were not the only group in the depths. When they reached the other group they all came to a stop. The Striefleader stood, staff planted in the ground, his tone a bit surprised. “Presence I did not expect to see down -- here. Naturewalkers, elves?”

Kalyin was surprised to find them as well especially since the group contained two who had taken elemental form. “Who comes here?” He asked in the language of nature. And that was when the earth shivered the first time. It was a relatively small quake but a quake nonetheless.

There were two small elementals of water and two others, male and female. Kalyin cared little for the male and female. He directed his attention to the small water elementals.

Meanwhile the male of the outsiders group addressed the Striefleader. “And you are?”

"Strifeleader Gravelle; pleasure to meet you all." He replied graciously as if they were in an upscale tavern and not deep in the depths.

“We go where the battle is. Hrn.. today, it was here.” The female commented.

“No.” Kalyin interjected. “This is my domain by the will of nature. Who are you?”

“We are just travelers.” The elemental spoke up.

Kalyin felt the faerzress effects rush through the area like the wind from a waterfall as he said. “Travelers have names.”

"Do you surfacers find thrill and fancy with this travelling to Underdark?" The Striefleader asked lofting a brow.

“I reckon we crush a few skulls, so yeah” The female answered. “I am Dir'skjal.” As if that might explain things… which, for Kalyin, it didn’t.

“I am Razat and you are big one?” One of the small water elementals replied in the language of nature.

“A honor to meet the one beneath these lands.” Said the second small water elemental in the language of nature as well.

Kalyin towered above them all. His god had rewarded his service and it was with fire. Not just any fire. He stood as the very element of flame. There was no silence when he didn’t speak. For the cracking of tongues of flame called out to let every living thing know that Kalyin was present. “I am tasked with the balance here. I am Kalyin, Will of Nature and Viper Lord, Razat. You are from above?”

Razat-Elemental bowed his head. “Yes I am Kalyin.”

Leave it to a surfacer not to understand the importance of titles. Yet perhaps this surfacer just needed things explained to him. “And who do you bring to unbalance my beloved depths, Razat?” Kalyin asked.

The Strieflords voice caught Kalyins attention. "Do you know what happens to elves in dark places such as this?" He asked pleasantly.

The male answered. “We talking surface elves, or underdark twisted version?”

“Elves are- Creatures of light, they- They do not belong in the dark.” The Witch said echoing Kalyins thoughts. Kalyin cared nothing for the name calling the male elf had done. What he did note was the mindset of the fool.

“These are my companions they seek only challenges as I do and only these depths can offers such a thing.” Bubbled Razat-elemental.

Wrong answer.

Kalyin aflame brightened as his anger was visible in the hotter flames as it was heard in his voice. He spoke in the common language of surfacers so that all would understand him. “You bring surfacers here for... SPORT?” He demanded.

“Oh, my, my friend raised his voice.” The Striefleader observed.

“One does not seek challenges in Torils nature in the depths, Razat. You should know better.” Kalyin admonished.

“We are here to deal with Illithids. That's it.” Razat explained.

Wrong answer.

The second small elemental sighed then but wisely remained silent.

“And you now claim to anger the ilithid?” Kalyin asked the anger causing his voice to crackle and pop. “And what will they do once you stir them up do you think?”

“I would never take any live for sport big one .. You miss hear me at that point humbly.” Razat attempted to explain again. Yet the trail of bodies he and his companions left behind was evidence of sport. No amount of changing his tune would aid him.

“If I were to come to the surface do you know what is done with me?” Kalyin asked. “They attack me on sight, no matter that I serve the entirety of nature.” Kalyin waited a heartbeat then continued. “I am more civilized than those. I offer you a choice leave or I will make you.”

"Druids, breaking balance- Yes yes. Keep to the light, stay- Stay away from the darkness." The witch added helpfully.

Kalyins molten silver eyes found each of the small elementals. “You are here to kill caring nothing for balance. Go. Now.”

The silent small elemental bowed his head respectfully at Kalyin. “We better leave, Razat.”

“We will leave in peace now.” Razat said to both his companions and to Kalyin.

"Open the portal and be gone from the domain of the dark." Vance’s suggestion was more a command. One Kalyin wholeheartedly agreed with.

The second quake swept through the area and Kalyin wondered if he was too late. He heard Helen’s “... the hells?” And saw her plant her staff on the ground to try and stay upright.

The other group moved off, leaving. Kalyins attention was on them so the shout from behind him was a surprise.

“Attack!” The Bone Witch called out.

Kalyin whirled around fire hissing to see beholders boiling out of holes and rushing around the large roof to ceiling stalagmites to engage them. Kalyin recognized hive mothers, elder orbs and even champion beholders. Five…

“They cannot stand against us! Strike them down!” Vance shouted.

Ten beholders…

“Back to your holes!” Kalyin added as he began to defend himself.

Fifteen beholders….

“PRAISE CYRIC! FALL TO THE HOLY SLAYER!” Tornius cried above the chaotic sound of battle.

Twenty beholders….

"DEATH!" Vance shouted as he added his divine energy to the fray.

// (To be Continued) Special thanks to
Vance
Tornius
Helen
Bone Witch
Dante Kialrin
Elina Suiet
Urdir Oakbeard
Razat Vintergard
for making these encounters so interesting.

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:38 pm

THE DARK IS NO PLACE FOR CREATURES OF THE LIGHT (Part 2)

“Attack!” The Bone Witch called out.

Kalyin whirled around, fire hissing, to see beholders boiling out of holes and rushing around the large roof to ceiling stalagmites to engage them. Kalyin recognized hive mothers, elder orbs and even champion beholders. Five…

“They cannot stand against us! Strike them down!” Vance shouted.

Ten beholders…

“Back to your holes!” Kalyin added as he began to defend himself.

Fifteen beholders….

“PRAISE CYRIC! FALL TO THE HOLY SLAYER!” Tornius cried above the chaotic sound of battle.

Twenty beholders….

"DEATH!" Vance shouted as he added his divine energy to the fray.

Yet they kept coming… The shouts turning into grunts as the battle raged. Arcane magicks were fired with crackles and musical thrums. The wet thud of blades striking the soft skins of beholders and the hum of divine energy along with loud pops and hisses as Kalyins fire reached out to set fire to enemies near him.

Battles are furiously quick things. It is only in the aftermath that one notes the prowess of those in their company. And Kalyin took stock of those with him. They had not hesitated. They had operated as a finely tuned weapon. Kalyin was impressed.

"They- They are very angry." The witch pointed out standing in a field of bloody gore.

"Of course..." Vance agreed. “Surfacers dared, but… Damn-it." He was cut off from further comment.

“Behind!” Helel shouted.

A group of Maur were headed our way.

"It has something to do with the consciousness." The Witch said just before moving to a battle position.

Everyone moved at once, everyone moved as one to engage the now charging Maur.

“I will NEVER die!” Tornius shouted.

“They cannot stand against us! Strike them down!” Vance called, his tone full of confidence. “Bend Knee and die!”

Kalyin saw them. Mixed in with the Maur. Ilithid.

“Mindflayers!” Helen shouted.

As Kalyin moved to intercept the ilithid guardian he was damned glad he was in fire elemental form. Yet he still feared the ilithid. Not the flesh they wore for he set that flaming. Kalyin feared the greasy touch of their minds. He realized that the Maur were thralls and he also realized they needed to get the hells out of this part of the lower dark.

“Maybe- maybe, maybe.” He heard the Bone Witch speaking. “They should retreat as well.”

“WRETCHED- wretched.” Tornius spat as a montra.

“BE GONE!” Vance demanded.

The last ilithid fell in a heap as Tornius swept its head from its shoulders. The squid like appendages flailed uselessly as it flew through the air… and that is when… it… found them.

A sudden thought washed through Kalyins mind. He cringed and was horrified to find that even in his current form he /felt/ it. It was a strong, palpable thud that struck against his brow. A message was carved into his mind like chalk to a board.

Kalyin growled sounding like an out of control forest fire. He swept his gaze to the others.

Helen staggered. The Bone Witch froze. Tornius suddenly dropped to one knee. His features a mask of war as he fought the intrusion. He slammed his shield to the ground, leaning upon it. And Vance hissed. His hands rising to slam to his forehead. His eyes narrowed with discomfort, yet as Kalyin caught the look in Vance’s blue eyes... Kalyin smiled fiercely, for there in the Striefleaders light blue gaze... was roiling… fury.

The grip on them complete the brain spoke. "Such unwelcome pests within our depths.. To scour blood, to abandon and still stand.. You are either very foolish, or very brave.. Regardless you aware unwanted.. As you are.. You shall however make useful pawns.. We need only break that frivolous aspect you call 'free will' first..."

Kalyin heard it. But it carried no compulsion for which is was grateful.

Helen had closed her eyes and was leaning on her staff as the mental intrusion held her, her wards only offering faint resistance.

Tornius panted in heavy breaths yet the fighter that he was meant he used the adrenaline to struggle to his feet. It cost him though and his breaths were short and labored.

"We will break your resistance physically first.. And next your spirit.." The eminations continued, repeating similar rhetorics as off in the distance a large number of footfalls could be heard almost as much as felt. The slow, monotonous grind of feet marking mindlessly to the beat of their masters.

The Bone Witch shook her head furiously.

"Freedom." Vance declared in a defiant furious guttural growl. The Cyricist dropped his hand from his temples to holy symbol. His wild gaze snapping around the dark cavern and field of slaughter, as if searching source of the voice; while it was obvious any physical aspect was missing.

“No! I am no pawn of that which dwells here!” Kalyin growled out. “I will keep balance. I will set fires of renewal. But never your pawn be!”

Helen groaned something in draconic and stumbled towards the Bone Witch.

Vance had changed. Kalyin understood he was channeling his god. And Kalyin understood the power that fueled the blond headed man.

"They threaten us with chains-” Vance’s began his voice full of fury and power. “I want - they all, all, must die." He declared, commanded. "They must. SUCH INSOLENCE." The last was not a shout as much as a declaration etched in the area like fiery finality. One does not catch the attention of a gods avatar without consequence.

Tornius had turned his attention to Vance and was grinning like a loon through his barkskin.

Meanwhile the Bone Witch was drawing a door in the air using blood as paint. “"Later, Vance! With- Preparations!" However- The witch's magic failed and a gate didn't open.

Kalyin realized that she didn’t know that there were no ley lines in the immediate vicinity to connect to and that the faereress make it impossible to work portals in this area. “No portals here. We must go back.” He told her, them.

Vance spoke at the same time. “We cannot use portals here.”

“This witch- is- is out of spells.”

“As am I.” Helen added recovered from the initial onslaught she stood grimly ready for whatever came next.

“Back to Burning Shores.” Vance told them his tone strong and decisive. "We will get- Revenge later."

The horde of creatures they were hearing came into visual range and the ilithid brain did not disappoint. Kalyin towered above them all and could make out Maur thralls, umberhulks, ilithid guardians and… drow thralls. Kalyin cursed.

They all moved back towards the Burning Shores and it became a running battle. The five of them pushing forward as well as turning to kill the nearest thrall. Running battles are horrible things if those in retreat simply rush ahead. Retreat is not about running away, it is about moving in a controlled manner so that enemies are killed and you are still able to move forward.

Kalyin moved in and around the others taking the attention of the attacker to allow movement forward while Tornius used his blade to great effect coming in behind and felling many. All the while bellowing, “Praise the LORD CYRIC, you SWINE!” Helen and the Bone Witch may have been out of spells but that did not mean they didn’t have a few tricks up their sleeves. Vance used his divine gifts to great effect and the group made it to the building where portals could be opened. They broke off from the horde that seem to be gaining numbers faster than they were taking them away, and ran full out the last bit of distance.

They put distance between the horde as they found the doorway leading up into the fire giants lair. Kalyin chose the sweeper position in back and followed them inside slamming the door behind them. “Go!” He called before the swarm chasing them managed to burst through.

“Lenses?!” Tornius slammed his back against a wall, wheezing and panting.

“I have -none-.” Helen said her search through her bags fruitless.

Kalyin caught a drow thrall coming through the door and instantly set it ablaze and with flaming claws cleaved it into pieces. Then he moved further into the room and set about quickly drawing runes in the air. “I can open a portal.” His work was quick accurate and the runes elegant. He felt them connecting to the nearby ley line and the portal sprang to life with a warm glowing golden light.

“Striefleader first!” Tornius called out at the exact same time as the Witch spoke. “Witch first!”

“MOVE!” The Bone Witch cried out.

A duergar thrall burst through the door just at that moment! “Bring down their doom! Attack!” He shouted.

Vance paused to try and catch his breath as he moved to the portal. He glanced to the door. “Damn- I can’t focus. My mind is roaring!”

“FILTH!” Tornius shouted as he and Kalyin fell upon the hapless and soon dead duergar.

“You’re all mad!” Helen cried out.

“Go!” Kalyin shouted at Vance.

Tornius whipped around covered in blood and gore. “Portal, my priiiince-” He hissed shaking violently with anger.

Vance groaned, stumbling towards the golden light spitting profanities.

What many do not realize, Kalyin thought, is that one must be able to concentrate in order to use a portal. It is not like a door you simply step through. It is complex magic that you must attune yourself to. If you are distracted at all, you will be unable to attune. Drow and duergar thralls beating on a door and slipping through to engage in battle is one hell of a distraction.

Finally Vance vanished and seconds later the Bone Witch was through as well.

The ilithid brain was not finished with them yet however. It returned and although with only half the impact it once held it continued to grow. With others beginning to join it in unison; clawing at them from the background of the first.

“Moooo-ve!” Tornius screamed convulsing.

Kalyin saw Helen fall as he and Tornius held the door and killed whatever came through. “Go first, I can flee otherwise.” She offered as she pushed herself up again.

Kalyin did not know Helen well, but she had not hesitated to cast until she had nothing left. Although it was likely fueled by her keen need to survive, she had not run. That deserved some consideration. He would never understand why she offered herself as a sacrifice but he would not accept it from her either.

Neither Kalyin nor Tornius moved to the portal making it clear Helen needed to get through the portal first.

“I can’t. CONCENTRATE!” She screamed, her frustration getting the better of her.

Tornius roared with rage. “GET OUUUUUT!” He hissed and spit as he put the last of the group that had gotten in down.

Kalyin was fairly certain he meant the ilithid and their thralls but Helen was finally through the portal.

The room was suddenly only filled with haggered breathing and crackling fire. But down below could be heard the hastily mustering feet of dozen, hundreds more.

Tornius and Kalyin didn’t need an invitation. Tornius was through the portal.

Kalyin paused and whispered for he knew he did not need to shout to be heard. "I will be back." And his form faded, swallowed by the golden portal light.

The room, covered in blood, gore and dead bodies, was finally silent.

// Special thanks to DM Wish who clearly knows how to get a group to safety at reset with style!! And to
Vance
Tornius
Helen
Bone Witch
for making the adventure real and exciting!

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:13 pm

WALKER

The parchment was inked with a simple spell, darkness. As soon as the incantation was read the paper would crumble to ash. Upon the back in flowing script that had nothing to do with the spell were the following words in Xanalress: First House established. Temple taken but not clean. La'laskra. Shar. Xun’viir has awoken.

PAST...
“Why do you do this to yourself?” Her voice was light and airy. She sat in a plush chair that looked completely out of place in the cell. Her brushed leather thigh high, high heeled boots touched the blood strewn stone floor lightly. One of her daughters stood on her right side, simply watching him with interest.

Kalyins first attempt to speak failed. He cleared his throat.

She held a crystal tea cup and simply moved her pinky finger. The guards roughly grabbed Kalyins arms and hauled him to his feet. When he was more or less standing she perked a perfectly sculpted white eyebrow at him.

“I bbbel.. “ Kalyins voice was rough, labored. “I believe that.. you are... having this... done... t… to me.”

The guards, in tandem, shook Kalyin hard. He gasped in pain. “Honored Matron.” Kalyin added.

She smiled. Kalyin couldn’t help but flinch. It was never good when she smiled. “Renounce that filthy deity, my little one.” Her voice was annoyingly pleasant as if she was asking him to change his shirt. His shirt that was in tatters after failing to protect him from her whip.

It had been going like this for cycles now. Beatings followed by healing only to be injured again. Kalyin appreciated that she had imagination. It was never the same. First it was a guard, who mistakenly believed that Kalyin was weak just because he was not in armor and weaponless in a cell. Kalyin relieved the guard of his long sword then relieved him of his life.

After that they were much more careful. A mage throwing spells at him on the other side of the steel bars of his cage. An archer using him as a pin cushion. Yet with barely any water and food even the mightiest of warriors weakens. Kalyin was by no means the mightiest. She had even let him out at one point only to have him grabbed as he raided the kitchen for food.

She stared at him now. His long hair hung limply across his bruised face. Her scarlet eyes assessing him. He dared raising his silver eyes to meet hers. So, he saw the instant she realized he would never do as she commanded. It was his turn to smile.

She uncrossed her legs and rose in a fluid motion. Her daughter took her tea cup from her as if she knew exactly what was expected. The powerful Priestess of Lolth glided over to Kalyin. She placed one perfectly manicured fingernail under his chin and held him there. Her scarlet eyes boring into his silver ones. “You are everything I had hoped and more.” She whispered.

Then she prayed. The dreadful divine power made her glow briefly before she threw it at him. The sudden healing and regeneration was awful, painful and wonderful all at the same time.

She dismissed the guards. She was confident that Kalyin would not attack her. She knew Kalyin was too smart to let his emotions rule his good sense. And Kalyin was curious.

“I am going to free you. All I ask in return is to exchange your current deity for another. You spoke with that surfacer druid. He told you of Toril. Use your connection with your serpent pets.” She crooned pleasantly.

Kalyin tried not to look at her as if she were insane. But he couldn’t help it. He expected another whipping since she saw his expression. But she just laughed, a light cheerful sound.

“And you will do this for me, my little walker.” She told him. Then she said one word. A name.

Kalyin’s breath caught as the dread flowed through him. He realized that she had been testing him. She wanted to know his strength of will. Because as soon as the name she whispered formed in his mind, he knew he would do what she wanted. The reason Drow were told love was a weakness. She used it against him.

And Kalyin, Kalyin would let her.

PRESENT...
Kalyin watched them troop into the Devils Table district house. He couldn’t help but quietly laugh at those like Kron and the Bone Witch who proclaimed not to be involved in politics. Yet there they were… voting.

Kalyin was bitter. And one always feels better when one can stir up the masses. So, he pointed out the truth repeatedly. It was more fun when the truth could be used to insight chaos.

The poor Devils Table Herald sort of stood in a corner as Idil’vas, Vex, Saslae, Miir and Priestess Rizithra loitered nearby. Kalyin had asked the Herald earlier and there it was officially coming from the Heralds mouth…

The Devils Table was Vassal of Andunor, The Sharps. Head of the Andunorian League: Ezra Muraan

Kalyin helpfully translated it: The current council of The Devils Table had given the district over to the human Ezra Murann.

Kalyin had to admit he couldn’t wait until House Freth got a certain letter.

The chaos was entertaining yet it didn’t really entirely take the sting out of the fact that he was not where he had intended to end up. He was close, so damn close.

So, here he was later in the cycle, dressed in Melee Magthere garb wearing his Draada insignia watching Ezra and Idil’vas dance around each other. Picturing Ezra as a huge enraged surfacer hound and Idil’vas as a graceful dragon helped a little. As did examining the older human male of Tempus. No surprise to find him there since war was a favored past time for that particular god. Perhaps the human sought to raise Ezra to some sort of honorable warmonger?

Archpriestess Ilphaeryl answered Ezras summons and soon joined the fray. She brought along Kron who was sporting a cut on his hand that reminded Kalyin of blood ritual injuries.

To her credit she attempted to steer Ezra from completely taking over the Melee Magthere. So, Kalyin casually asked about House Xun’viir. If she announced her plan to become it’s matron and bring the house back to life publically it might work in her favor. Kalyin could at least provide her the opportunity to get out of the Arch Priestess position before she was lynched. /If/ she was willing to give up the Arch Priestess position of course.

She took the opportunity and announced that she would be matron and that she was leaving the position of Arch Priestess. Kalyin wondered how long she would have waited had he not called her out about it. Likely too long since priestesses of the Spider Queen were not known for their patience for heretics. And giving the Devils Table to Ezra was seen as heretical behavior.

In the background the Striefleader and the Bone Witch whispered back and forth. Kalyin was certain their conversation would be much more entertaining that the one closer to him.

Just as he was getting bored with Sydney Harrows conunciling Ezra about the same idea that Idil’vas had been saying all along, Kalyin felt it. Something below him. His instinct was to pull from the elemental plane of fire and become an elemental to protect his mind. However that would have been a monumental mistake. The room would have devolved into chaos and battle and what Kalyin wanted to do was listen, feel.

He wasn’t sure how long he stood there staring at the carpet. He was sure that he didn’t know nearly as much as he should about being a walker. He was also sure he needed to correct that. But first, he would write and send his report.

//Thanks to the Drow players for their doing things the Drow way!

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:31 pm

FRAGMENTS

The parchment was inked with a simple spell, blood frenzy. As soon as the incantation was read the paper would crumble to ash. Upon the back in flowing script that had nothing to do with the spell were the following words in Xanalress: My thanks for the tome.

I had hidden the tome in a crude hiding place. Under a loose stone in a room that looked as if it belonged to slaves. Dirt floor. Rough hune stone walls. Not nearly good enough for a noble of my stature. Yet I was no longer that which I had started out as.

The black leather tome cover had a spider design carved in it. It was not a quick brutal carving but a delicate etching of the leather that took… hours. I tilted the book and the light hit it just right so that the hidden tattoo underneath appeared. The artistry of the tattoo made it a shame it had been hidden. My first impulse was to burn the book when I recieved it. Yet I am not impulsive, thus I keep this tome so that I can rekindle the anger. Recall the reason I take risks, why I continue to struggle to be more than the simple tool I was meant to be.

As I re-read her stylish script I allow the fire of anger to burn in my silver eyes, in my expression. There are none to see me here. None to witness the silver in my eyes turn molten. None to see the unaltered rage and fury that I must usually hide.

“As you read this never forget I own you. You are no more or less than what I have decided you will be. This tome is not just for you, it is you.”

No longer can my grip crush but I tried… I tried.

A memory…..
“I lived all but the last year as a warrior. Strength taken for granted and I was very good with a hand and a half sword. Not... the best but very good.” I heard myself saying. I had not shared this with anyone. I would like to say I did not know why I chose this individual and this moment to do so… but I do not lie to myself. I knew exactly why. “Now…” I continued. “I could not even lift such a weapon. I am having to rediscover who I am ... what I am.

"That is a dramatic change.” They said.

“It is like... putting on your cloak in the opposite manner you normally would or putting on a shirt starting with the other arm than you normally would first.” I tried to explain.

“You are still very physical, but drawing energy towards yourself for use, less so aiming it outwards by force as warriors tend to do. Warrior's focus is centered, yours is expanding in entirely different way.” They astutely observed. I had counted on their understanding, I was not disappointed.

“Indeed.” I gave them a wry smile.” That is exactly it. Meaning that I must stop what my body wants to do on instinct and think about what I want to do instead of just... doing it. Add to that that things feel different, sound different, taste different... as if everything has been turned up to very loud. Sometimes I am uncertain what to pay attention to.” I admitted. A weakness. I wondered if this one understood the significance. If I would be sorry later.

"One of the pitfalls of those who are -- perhaps too aware. It is challenging as is, without world itself communicating with or without invitation." They replied perhaps oblivious to what I had just done. Their wisdom colored the air like priceless art. "The change is still relatively recent, and it is your butterfly moment in that sense, is it not? Learning to manage what you have become."

“Mostly without invitation.”I nodded. “Learning yes, but how to do that when no one is available to answer questions? Or.. rather no one that can be trusted not to use it against me.”

"That is a struggle we face, in dark places we live in. There is always a gnawing doubt... that everything we do or say can be crafted to a weapon against us."

“I know better than most this truth. Drow, like fey, cannot help but use everyone as a tool to further their goals.” Was my tone bitter? “Weakness is death.”

The Present….
I pause the memory there. A skill learned. Decades of practice to use reverie as a tool to find and recall specific memories. It is how I can recall details. Recall specifically what was said. How it was said. The expressions used. The body language employed. When one is playing the Great Game as I do, any advantage must be utilized.

I was an assassin… before.

Before, I could use a dagger in the most unusual and deadly ways. Before, I added various poisons to items I could share with others. Before, I had successes and the experience of failures. Before, I was no shadow creeping killer, but a find you, make you let down your guard and then kill you warrior. Before…

I throw the tome in my hands and watch with grim satisfaction as it hits the stone wall and slides to thunk upon the dusty floor. I had not thought of assassination then, as I recalled that memory. All those opportunities and none of them crossed my mind. I could see all the opportunities now. How easy it would have been and I am torn. As my fingers rake my hair my hands shake.

I hear the plants nearby. If I took down my carefully constructed walls I could /feel/ the plants, the earth, the animals, the air... the entire grove… the entire isle... Breathing… Living… singing… crying… calling…

I quickly close my link to nature, not all the way for there is no turning it off completely now. But enough so I can take a shuddering breath.

A memory….
They wore a nearly wolfish expression. "You will like this, I believe. One of the island's wonders."

I knew they watched. Expectantly. I do not mind being watched. Under their gaze I chose not to keep so much hidden. I appreciated the freedom in that. “The music is rather nice.” I said.

"Can you describe it? I see dance of light, and hear nothing." Their voice came from a distance. As if they were being removed from my perception.

As if this place wanted me alone. A glance back and I saw the grass move to cover my passing. The dirt moved to fill in my boot prints.

“Have you ever stood in the lower dark and hear the crystals chiming?” I asked wondering if this was something only I experienced. “The mushrooms humming in contentment? The faerzress like a drum beat from a long distance?”

I could feel the change in the pressure in the air. A sudden shift that pressed against me. The sky was hidden by a thick black mist that roiled and moved. Its voice was deep and powerful like a dragons. Then suddenly water began to fall. Too spread apart to be a waterfall… I was on the surface so it was what they called rain. Like a lonely drip had gathered others and they all dripped together, yet separately.

Or…” I continued. “This.. the rain singing as it caresses the earth at our feet, the leaves of the trees... Only.. you can feel it in your blood, your bones... your spirit.” My voice became a whisper, like the sound the drops of rain were making as they fell upon my outstretched palm. “It sounds like that.”

"Reverberation of energy." Came from somewhere else. "That is how I feel it."

I sank into the music. Walls to protect me became a mist that the wind from the rain drove away. “Like you should never leave this spot, this moment. As if you could live.. right here, forever.” I thought. I murmured. I declared.

"It has a strange pull, and it is told... that this isle cannot be found if it does not wish it." The other voice echoed not entirely real now.

I felt myself begin to sway to the music, the symphony of the rain and the trees and the earth. I became a part of this place. As if my very being was being distributed out piece by piece. I could stay here and be in harmony. Contented. Stay.

Suddenly that part of me that thought I was still a warrior awoke. A shot of fear brought a flood of adrenaline and I clenched my fist around the hilt of a sword that was no longer there. I came clear of the lull that had wanted to ensnare me and cleared my throat. It was now just rain. Just trees. Just dirt. “ Indeed. A very strong pull.” I said as I regarded the place warily.

The Present…
I took a few moments to regain myself as I let the memory go. Even though it was a memory, it was strong. Frightening. I wondered, as I had been for the past months, if that is what would eventually happen. Would nature claim me? Make me something I would consider alien? Pull me apart piece by piece until there was nothing recognizable left?

Would I be able to resist it forever? Then the real question, the right question hit me. Would I want to resist it?

I kneeled in the dirt of my hole and searched for another memory to relive. Something having nothing to do with nature. When I found it, I stayed there until thirst made it impossible to stay any longer. And when I had saited my thirst with water I realized, with a smile, I had not sated my thirst at all.

//Sincere thanks to those who provide such great opportunities for Kalyins growth as a character!

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:35 pm

BROKEN

The package arrived as packages do in the depths. A quick footed goblin dropping it near its destination then running off. The intended recipient left glaring at the retreating figure. Then glaring at the package that had no visible marks of who had sent it.

A Memory...
Screams. Throats dry from fear, from anger. Screams of terror. Screams of fury. Curses in a language unknown to me. Or perhaps I just did not care in those final moment of their lives.

Two quick steps inside the driders guard, sweep of shield right to push the driders shield out of the way, then follow the motion into a spin as it attempts to strike with its blade, a glancing blow to adamantite pauldron at the shoulder - the pain does not register - long sword held close to the hip, pulling back and then pushing hard, sword sinking into driders spider shaped abdomen, wrist twist, close enough see in the driders eyes the exact second it understood it was done, push it off the blade and onto the next…

Carnage was not a new thing. I was covered with it, as was the ground. My Lords sword in my hand dripped orc blood. How long had I been at this? My quest to break a blessed blade. As long as I had it in my possession I knew I would not be able to do as the matron commanded. The matron knew it too. I gritted my teeth. No second thoughts. I refused to have them. I had decided now I acted. I flicked the glowing sword and blood flew off it. I strode off in search of more carnage. In search of the thing that would break my Lords blade and finally release me.

It came at an inopportune time. Perhaps my Lord did it as punishment for my obvious insolence. Yet I was a fine warrior with a deadly fighting style. And when the blade finally broke against a strike on the helm of a particularly hard headed duergar I still had three more to go. I was fatigued. The remaining duergar paused as I did to watch the shattered blade pieces fall to the ground. Yet while they grinned like idiots I felt… loss.

I had not expected such profound emotion. I was drow. We do not allow emotion to affect us unless it is an emotion that can be used as a tool. I stood there just staring at the broken blade. Broken faith. Broken promise. At that moment I realized that I had been broken as well.

The duergar approached seeing their enemy as easy prey. And I… I cried out. Everything was in that scream. Loss, horror at what I had done, fear and finally… anger. Rage. They paused long enough for me to take up the fallen duergars axe. Then we danced those three duegar and I.

When it was done I was not victorious. I was barely alive. I was ruined in body and in mind and in spirit.

The matron had sent her guard after me. I had not the strength nor the will to fight them off as they saved me.

The Present...
The sword was… magnificent. The cloth it was wrapped in fell to the floor of the room and I held it in a manner all too familiar. The flood of memories using a blade overwhelmed me for a few moments. I missed holding such a fine weapon. Using such a fine weapon.

My calluses were gone. My skin silky smooth now. Yet the fit of the hilt in my hand was a pull as strong as any call through the ley lines. I could say no and refuse. Remain as I was just a drow holding a gift for another.

But I said yes instead. I ran the sword through slow motions of battle. The twists and turns of the dance of death that the blade was made for. And it sang. It was not long before I felt my skin rubbed raw and I did not pause. I moved to more complicated maneuvers until sweat dripped from my hair. I stubbornly held onto that sword. I stubbornly held onto the warrior I once was. I danced around the small room using furniture as my battle ground. Until I was no longer able to hold the sword. My hand, no longer infused with the strength I once had, failed me. The magnificent sword fell from my grip and clattered to the floor. And once again I felt loss.

I had meant to speak of it. Fully. But to confide one's weaknesses is anathema. So instead I skirted the topic as adroitly as a snake avoids the thorns of a bush.

I did not say how the floor of my hovel in the grove shook. I did not say how there was sudden silence. I did not say how I stumbled into my personal alter. And that when my connection with nature was abruptly reestablished I cried out from the pain. Not even my hands clapped over my ears eased the sheer volume of it.

The rush of feeling every living thing in the area was stunning. Every footfall, every skittering insect was amplified. I heard them breathing, rustling, calling out. I inhaled the scent of every type of moss and fungus under my boots, the spicy fragrance of the mushrooms, the distinct aroma of yarrow root. I felt them, my heart beat slowing to match the rhythm of life around me.

And my new Lord did not have to say a thing. Unspoken the feeling was much more profound. All that was communicated was...

Choose.

//One of the issues with having a character in the underdark is that most of the most creative, intriguing and emotional RP must remain in my logs due to the amount of plotting and subterfuge that goes on. So to those Kalyin RP’s with know that I appreciate you in a most profound way.

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Thu May 17, 2018 3:16 pm

FUGUE

The mist that was not mist swirled as I uncame to be. I was not alone. Bright blue, shining red greeted me and I knew some of them. I was... I am where gray threatens to pull me apart.

It is cold. So long since I had felt cold yet it was not that I was cold from the grey that surrounded me. It was the cold of absence. In the midst of the others I was alone.

The sounds of battle still ringing a refrain that refuses to let go just yet. It is a sudden thing this being to unbeing. I have no breath. I have no heartbeat. I am a thin gray shape of what I once was in search of the rest of me.

Others flash in and flash out like some eerie dance of optical illusions. Or perhaps it is madness that takes hold in the gray spaces. Taunted with the faded images of what once was. Once silver eyes now tarnished gray search. Yet what I seek is not near. The maze stretches out before me - mocking.

When I would have taken a breath in order to find something familiar I am empty.

A flash.

It was brief, too fast to make me think it real. Then again. I can scarcely believe it. Once again. A rhythm. All my attention goes to this drum beat. It turns steady as if it had been there all along. Familiar is the rhythm. As if it is my own and I know without a doubt they live.

Relief in a cool wave sweeps through me, around me, with this knowledge. That even in gray spaces we are not apart. I take comfort in the simplicity of the beat of a heart that is not my own - yet it is.

PAIN!

Sudden and harsh it ran through me. So unexpected that if I had any substance other than a thin gray shape I would have fallen to my knees. If I had breath it would have stopped. If I had voice, screamed.

I was like wine thrown into the underriver. What there was left was being diluted. The horror of the realization that what had tethered me to the material plane was… gone. My body destroyed. The loss so utterly complete I begin to unravel. Pieces of what remained ripping away like ash blown into the air from a fire.

I stood dumbly and watched. Yet the heartbeat continued. Steady and sure like faerie fire in the distance. It lured me forward. It lured me, calm and intense. So I went. I sought. I ran.

I was thrown out. I was welcomed in. And nature attempted to put me back together but it was not all of me. Pieces were missing in such a way that my mind was like air. A thought made was then gone. Yet I had purpose in my painful re-entry into the material plane.

Their heartbeat. The symphony of life and worth the pain I would need to endure.

//PVP is expected when your character is a drow. I have been fortunate to have had the most interesting RP when killed, raised and interrogated. Yet even when the other characters decide to destroy the body of your character the RP can be just as interesting.

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:33 pm

HEART OF TORIL

“Greetings, Kalyin. I am Delith Holin. No doubt you felt my pull to you from this place. That is no accident I assure you. You have been summoned to me to fulfill a destiny. As one of Nature's chosen warriors, I am counting on you to restore balance to this plagued land of Arelith. From high atop this cliff I watch over my children and wait for such heroes to come to me. You are a Walker, are you not? Let me aid you then, in hopes that someday you will return the favor to me, and to the peaceful denizens of this wood.” Her greeting was the same as always.

Delith didn’t care that I was hunted these days. To her I was simply one of Nature's chosen warriors. I admired her simplicity of wisdom. Would that it translated to those upon the ground below this tree.

Yet at the time I had no idea we had attracted the attention of others. All I knew was that those I had traveled with were back on the ground. Darkfall had been quiet. We had dispatched a group of bugbears and a spider that had attacked. Our purpose was to speak to Delith. That done we would portal below from near the tree.

The air was bitingly cold. Something only found with ice present in my depths. Cold and vipers did not go well together. Yet that was not the worst of it. As Delith teleported me down I landed… in the middle of.. legs and boots and even horse hoofs.

Golden Cobra did not even pause. I did not recognize any of them. They would not take kindly to my presence. The Heartwood had turned away my aid with threat of death, even going so far as to send an assassin into Andunor to murder me. It was time to depart just as fast as I could.

“Kalyin.” The shout was in a voice that might have been familiar if I had not been slithering as fast as I was able to get away from the mob. There is nothing like the pounding of boots running to get one moving faster.

“YOU WILL STOP!” Another yelled and I heard more than felt the tinking of arrows against my stoned-skin.

Nature imbibes its own with wisdom. Hearing arrows strike one does not make Golden Cobra willing to pause let alone stop. Who thinks that stopping while being shot with arrows is the appropriate reaction? Ah, yes, that pile of bones there in the leaf litter! I kept moving.

Yet my escape was cut short when, unfamiliar with the area since I do not spend time in the sunlander lands, I was cut off and surrounded. I admit the drow in me was rather smug that there were so many chasing me down as if I were some prize. Golden Cobra was not amused.

It was Yeto moving to block my retreat. Golden Cobra was not winded by the swift retreat. And there was a certain decorum that needed to be attended to. “Greetings Yeto.” Golden Cobra said.

Walker Akryn spoke up then. “More who want to kill us?” I did not realize he had followed me.

“Only him so far.” Someone said, thus I had an admirer.

“Probably.” Was my reply to Walker Akryn.

Yeto was very unhappy and started in the middle as was the way with most sunlanders. I have a theory that they are affected by the suns rays in some manner making them blurt out things that do not make sense. “You torture my kin now?” He accused.

“I do not torture, Yeto.” That was not to say I had never done it. I could train others in many techniques. I was drow. It was and is an acceptable practice. Yet after five years of being the subject of torture I can safely say I am done with the practice. Even still, I had the feeling Yeto was speaking of someone specifically. And I had no idea whom. “What are you on about?”

“Who did he torture Valen?” Yeto turned to an elven who looked ready to burst with anger. Interesting he did not even recall this elven kins name, my first clue that they were not after the truth of it.

I recognized the name Valen. A black archer, probably the one who pinged me with arrows earlier.

“He tried t’kill Corbin.” A familiar voice spat. Buppi.

“He helped Kron Xun’viir and Vance capture Thalys. As well as a few other folks. He’s threatened to enslave grove members.” The black archer, Valen called out.

I had no idea who Thalys was and Kron had not ever invited me to any of his surface outings. That said I would be honored to have Kron at my back in battle. His loyalty to his allies is unsurpassed. And although the idea to put certain grove members into slave collars had its appeal, I had not suggested so.

The black archer, Valen continued. “He’s shown up in force to threaten Beryl in the grove.”

Just a thought, if I had shown up in force it would not be to threaten. Besides threats are meaningless, I simply state facts. It keeps things simple, such as, I will no longer protect the Heartwood Grove. It is not as if they wanted my assistance.

As the black archer continued it suddenly occurred to me that he seemed to be reciting a list. “He’s a druid that associates with necromancers.”

I really dislike the title ‘druid’. It is so obscure. As if the surfacers did not want anyone to truly understand what it was that we were called to do. We use Walker and Keeper. And do not even get me started on who I associate with. As if they could possibly understand survival in the depths. Did they really think Toril choose me as the Will of Nature at Torils Heart as a mistake? They would not last half a cycle where I survived decades because I knew how to ally with those in the depths. Damn right I had as many allies as I could manage.

Yeto was thoughtful enough to repeat this list just in case I had missed it the first time. “You tried to kill Corbin. You aid Kron who wishes my death. You aid Vance who killed my niece. You have threatened others, and assaulted Buppi.”

The staggering amount of misinformation being thrown at me was amazing. And I was a fool to attempt to inform Yeto of the reality.

I suppose the most amusing part was that Buppi was upset that I had tackled him and pinned him to the floor. Of /my/ living room. That he /invaded/ suddenly. Abyss yes I assaulted the idiot Buppi when he trespassed into my house. I would do the same for any fool that tried the same. As if any of those surrounding me would have reacted any differently to an intruder who suddenly appeared in one's own home.

As Buppi, Yeto and Valen continued to sling accusations at me. I saw this for what it was. I was a convenient scapegoat. Did they think I cared what they thought?

After these few years in the service of Nature whereby I attempted to learn from those on the surface, ally and aid those of the surface I have learned an important lesson. Those claiming to serve nature up above are more interested in serving themselves and their petty self serving grievances.

What had they done in service of nature? Shadow creatures still lurk in the woods near Heartwood, the ragged rip into the hells as a portal is still open, they soaked the hallowed grove grounds in druid blood several times, they allowed Amn cowled mages to rip open a portal in the forest of Despair and spill outsiders into the forest, they allowed Amn to throw out the Walkers that were attempting to heal Wharftowns ruins, they have broken an alliance between groves that had lasted decades, they had ventured into the lower dark ruining the delicate balance there and they have had how many arch druids of Heartwood in just the three short years I have been here?

All I saw from them was loss of balance along with loss of sanity. And all they could think of to do was whine at me instead of tending to the balance of plagued Arelith as Delith bid those in service of nature to do.

Whereas /I/ have gathered allies of the entire city of Andunor and the groups there who now actively aid me in keeping balance in the depths. And the only imbalance that has been caused is by /surfacers/. Which, by the way, was set to rights by those I associate with, not Yeto nor Buppi nor Valen who assisted in causing some of the imbalance in the first place. Ahd yes, I did ask for aid from them all.

Just in case one is wondering how powerful Zurkhwood Grove is, how honorable, how wise and intelligent? I was called out of the midst of Heartwood Groves minions by Walker Akyrn while they were still hurling false accusations. I called the other two back to our underdark. And we all returned to Torils Heart well and whole. To return to the real work of keeping balance. While those ten or so upon the surface most likely ranted and raved about our departure then likely did what they always do to aid nature…. nothing.

Buppi was thoughtful enough to send along a hin with message: "Keep out of the forest. Keep off the surface. There will be no chances for your forked tongue lies next time."

I was quick with my reply via goblin: "Buppi, When surfacers stop calling me up to clean up your messes I will have no reason to come to the surface. -- Kalyin”

//My Thanks to the members of Zurkhwood Grove! It is a dangerous trip to get some of the Walker (drud) RP done but you lot have made the adventures so great. Also, thanks to the group that interrupted our quiet outing. Nothing like being teleported into an angry mob to get the heart pumping!

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:14 am

BLEED OUT, AND THEN BLEED SOME MORE

They had settled themselves on a pair of couches; the warrior seated across from her. Idil'vas lounged back in a languid pose. She seemed tired, but pleasantly so - having just come from a double cycle of slaughtering enemies. There was no agitation or even concern in her, despite the matter she had come here to discuss.

"Are you both in danger?" The priestess asked without preamble as she approached their position. Idil'vas spent a few minutes relaying events of the past several tencycles. The priestess's claws clenched around her staff and her tail frequently whipped in frustration as the story unfolded.

"And you do not know why these attacks are mounting then?" The Priestess asked when Idil'vas finally stopped talking.

"I honesty do not. I can understand the warrior being angry and wanting revenge that he was too cowardly to take himself. But the rest..." She rolled one shoulder in a serpentine-like shrug.

"You are a fool if you think it something so small." The Priestess quipped.

The warrior across spoke up. "Because of the fact they don't want Yaz'arela as Archpriestess and they don't like Idil'vas."

The Priestess was likely correct, but that did not mean Idil'vas knew any more than she had said. "You know... I was content to leave them be. I have only ever wanted to focus on the warriors and scorching the vithez surface. I have no idea why they persist in making me the enemy." The words were true - completely and without obfuscation. The half-dragon had left the political arena and focused all of her attention on training warriors... All of the warriors. She made no distinction between those that served a house, or didn't; those that served the Temple, or didn't.

"And not a single conversation about their ire at all? Lovely. Saslae is on the warpath yet again." The Priestess mused. "I wonder how long it will be before I am again on her shit-list."

"No. None of them have spoken to me at all. None have said anything I have done to earn this... other than Saslae believing some lies told by some "unknown" spy." There was a pause as the warrior confirmed something she already knew. Then she added for the Priestess, "Of course now that I stood with the Temple, as is my job, and they want Yaz'arela out of the temple to install their own Archpriestess - that gives them all the reason in the world."

"Aye. That is how she tends to justify her lethal decisions. A spy told her that Invrae sold the mansion key to Delano. A spy told her that I was conspiring with Mach of the Frostblades. And another mysterious spy is saying you are... what, a spy?" The Priestess asked.

"Talking bad about her, apparently." Idil'vas said offhandedly. "You know, because it's fine for her to call me a Half-Breed on the public boards." Had she been a less disciplined creature she would have rolled her eyes.

"I will need to hunt her down myself." Mire nodded.

Idil'vas stiffened; her tone turning firm. "Do not bring trouble for yourself or the clan."

"Then you are leaving the tribe?" The Priestess asked pointedly.

Idil'vas smirked. "No."

"Then it is not me bringing trouble for the clan. It is you. And I deal with trouble."

Her tone was still serious. "But I do not consult you about my decisions - to support the temple - to stand my ground against tyrants and idiots. I would not endanger you for my own... pride."

"And yet you already have."

The guilt's edge was keen and found the perfect weakness in her armor to pierce her to the core. Mire's words not only continued to ring in her head, but now the same words came in Kalyin's voice. How many times had she placed her brother in unintentional danger - thinking her actions affected her alone.

"Perhaps you have not been a part of a true family before." The Priestess posed.

Only her centuries of training kept her shame from her face. She looked directly at Mire. Her expression remained the perfect visage of ilythiiri neutrality.

"Or maybe you are worried that because you are drow you are not worth our notice or response. Worry, is probably not the right word. But you are tribe. You work like us, you serve like us, you are worth as much in the eyes of us. These troubles that Saslae has wrought? She thinks it is just with you and yours. And... well, she is right. Because the tribe is yours too."

Idil'vas exhaled heavily but there was no change to her expression.

"But do not be fooled thinking we will watch idly while you are hunted for some petty drow political nonsense. You are dragging us in. And we will solve it while you are one of us."

After a moment the larger figure merely dipped her head slightly to Priestess.

Mire sighed. "This was going to happen sooner or later. Welcome to Andunor. Thinking otherwise would have been foolish. I am merely pleased it is with someone who can actually stand in a fight. But this issue. We will solve it. Perhaps there is a way to walk away from this without destroying the Table or the tribe entirely."

The conversation shifted slightly in focus. Ilphaeryl's name was mentioned.

"All these drow houses get mixed up in my mind." The Priestess lamented.

"Mmm Ilphaeryl is the traitorous [censored] who gave the Table into slavery to Ezra."

"Then she is a citizen," The Priestess said with weight. "Just like Saslae and Mel'nozz and Xal'rae and the rest."

Idil'vas understood her point plainly. It was her job to protect ALL citizens of the city, whether she liked them or not. She couldn't help but release a brief, derisive snort. "I wouldn't piss on her if she were on fire. If you want to fault me for that, it is fine." She did not like what she was feeling. None had accepted her as openly as the tribe. It would be... unpleasurable to lose them because she refused to bend on this matter.

"I would fault you for that," The Priestess nodded. "I expect you to save citizens who are on fire when you are Dustwrought. If you must use your own piss, so be it. Servants must have humility."

Humility was not something ilythiiri were known for. Dragons either for that matter.

It took a phenominal amount of control to keep her voice even, but she replied without missing a beat. "Surely there is someone else beside her on fire as well. I only have so much piss."

"I am going to Saslae, kith. And I am going to apologize." The Priestess announced.

Something inside of her began to uncoil and writhe. Something dark and menacing. Something that would soon be all claws and fangs. "Apologize for what?"

The Priestess smiled, an angry yet cunning little smile. "I am going to apologize for your behavior. I am going to apologize for all the transgressions that she might be offended by. I am going to apologize for the accusations I made to her recently - accusations that Mel'nozz murders citizens and other such obviously false nonsense." She took a breath. "I am going to apologize that her spies have such a dire need to continue turning her against her own citizens. I am going to apologize that it stinks just like it did when she exiled me. And then I will give her the meal I'll have made especially for her and ask if there's anything else she would have of the tribe."

That writhing thing had reached her eyes. The ignition was visible in their slight narrowing and the swirling in their bottomless black pools. "And just what behavior of mine are you apologizing for?"

"I care not." She shrugged. "I know not what you have done wrong. So until someone fills in the blanks, I will be vague. Unless you are going to bring peace to this, it is my duty to do so."

The words ricocheted off of her anger. Any guilt she might have felt for pressing the business turned into ash in the flame of her ire. "And what would you have me do to bring peace?" She growled through a clenched jaw. "Kneel and grovel at Ilphaeryl's feet when I have never done anything to her? When her house has betrayed me at every turn since the first days with Kron?" She had no need to breathe in this state. Anger was its own oxygen. She pressed on. "Or maybe it is Saslae I should worship, who revoked everything I vithez /earned/ in that district." The rising heat was out. Her tone was filled with loathing and rage. "I have supported our people. I have freed that district. I have promoted all houses and the temple /equally/. I have done NOTHING to vithez apologize for."

Despite the now-active volcano that sat before her, the Priestess replied calmly. "I would have you remember your place and your purpose. To serve Andunor, and do anything it takes to keep the foundations from cracking. Leaders come and go. Drow houses spring up like mushrooms and then die just as quickly. Apologize or not, but do something that does not destroy. If you are certain that you can dismantle the entirety of that power base without killing the tribe and the city? Then do it. If you are not sure, then find another way. Do not kill us all in your prideful crusade."

The wind seemed to go out of her with Mire's final statement. As though someone dropped a vat of powder on a raging fire. It was suddenly just - gone. There was only a flash of dread before she spoke the next words. A single, sharp whisper that said she knew where this would end and she would not like it. "I am made for destruction, Priestess. It is my purpose." She was every bit the tool she had been forged to be. Born to be. And she /chose/ to remain as such. "I protect what can aid in destroying. What can not is not worth protecting." She waited a heartbeat. Two. Three. And then quantified. "I have tried to protect and strengthen for a decade. What I am receiving in return is people set on destroying /me/. So... you may ask more than I have to give."

The Priestess smiled sadly. "There is always more to give."

"We suffer, yet we prevail. It is a silly little mantra. But it is what keeps kobolds going. Perhaps the reason we are still alive as a race. There will always be those who wish to destroy you. Always be those who think you are less than dirt. Always be those who march proudly for... whatever cause they love and march you right into that dirt under their feet."

"What the point is... if someone is angry with you? You must be doing something right."

Idil'vas quirked one finely-scaled brow. "Clarify what you mean by doing something right."

Mire smirked at the reposte. "Well I admit I do not condone this suicidal dance of yours. But if all of these years of service have earned you this ire? It means that someone wishes to tear down your hard work and you must work even harder."

The drowess's tone was a touch exasperated. "You are more convoluted to speak to than an ilythiiri... you tell me I've made the mess, that it's all my fault and I should fix it... and then you tell me "I'm doing it right"? She stared at the Priestess incredulously.

The kobold chuckled. "I suppose ultimately the message is that no matter what you do, the tribe is here to do it with you. And anyone who tells you what to do? They can go blow."

Idil'vas nearly barked a snort; the hilarity of the situation more than she could contain. After a few moments she added somberly, "I am not trying to start a civil war in the city... If they would leave me the vith alone I would train their warriors and use them to bring resources and slaves, and everyone would be the better for it... But if they keep pressing... all they are going to find is a mountain that stabs back.

The Priestess nodded sagely. "Aye... at some point that becomes necessary."