Frostbite of the Frozen Spider

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

PresidentCthulhu
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Frostbite of the Frozen Spider

Post by PresidentCthulhu » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Let this short memoir be the keeper of my origins.

My birth Que'llar was of little importance even back then, desperately clawing at the edge of survival. To rise in power, even if by an inch, they have sent their best chance to the Temple. They hoped to gain a newly anointed priestess: me. I can shamelessly say, I always had a bright mind and a strong will. Such traits are paramount to obtain the proper heights of rank in the hierarchy. Nevertheless, where my intellect was shining like a faerie fire, there my physique was severely lacking. Being frail and weak with high potential is highly unfortunate, as I had to learn it in the hard way. On a fateful night I was ambushed by my classmates. There was no subtlety, guile or tact to it, just sheer force. While they unceremoniously held me down and put my eyes out I felt deep discontent, beside my immense rage, that these rothe headed morons had to be the ones who marked my fate. If the fools had known the proper rites, they could have turned me into a drider, but thankfully it did not come to that. In the end they discarded me, blinded and helpless onto the fields of ice, assuming a troll will eventually devour my cold, dead body.

After the initial pain, I began to feel less and less. I managed to stand up and shamble aimlessly on my bare feet, hurting with each step. I have no idea how far did I get. When I could not bear to walk any longer, I crawled, desperately, clinging to life. A time that seemed to be eternal, I stopped. On the ice, slowly engulfed by the falling droplets of crystalline water, without a sight, in my torn robe. I started to let everything go with uncomfortably weak memories of my family surfacing in my mind, before turning into meaninglessness. A canvas turning into blank. I lost hope. Only then I have heard Her voice.

My sentience flickered and on the edge of my hazy mind's eye I saw a glorious spider, covered in layers of ice. She did not move much, but when She did crystalline clinging of Her frost woven carapace was heard, like a beautiful crescendo. She was calling to me, drawing me in. She was asking questions and I but had to think on the answers. Perhaps She knew the answers already. She promised power. I did not hesitate to offer my soul, that our Queen so eagerly discarded. She drove near and bit me. I have felt the coldest of the colds entering my veins through Her divine fangs, filling me up completely.

I felt alive again, unhindered by the dire environment. My mind was curious and eager to learn more, yearning for all the knowledge on the world. I have begun my wanderings, to travel far and wide, to experience my newborn powers first hand. During my silent journeys I have started to understand my inner spirit that came alive in my heart on the darkest of wings. I healed my eyes, but they did not recover, nevertheless I learned to live with it, figuring out ways that even go beyond mere sight. I knew I will miss reading books on my own though. Finally, the time has come to return to Andunor and see where this icy road of the Frozen Spider takes.
Your friendly neighborhood eldritch horror

PresidentCthulhu
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Frostbite of the Frozen Spider

Post by PresidentCthulhu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Awoken
Sitting against the stone throne, the frail drowess pondered, while she listened to the crowd gathered before her. Meticulously dissecting each issue presented, she still could not help, but to think about her fate. Her obsidian bird companion soared in the vast meeting hall, stopping, from time to time, to observe, from different vantage points. Through his eyes she saw the gray silhouettes which provided the usually needless details, that her own senses could not discern. The guards standing in vigil, her family members and the esteemed guests, whispering among each other, while waiting to exchange some words with the First Matron. She knew, that she would find no satisfaction in her status, as she hardly longed power for its own sake. To achieve her prime goal, she needed to bear with all this, as without order, all would be for nothing. She waved for the next guest, with her usual expression, indifference, carved in ice. While they conversed she was still reminiscing about recent events. She thought, she would feel at least a little satisfaction from achieving the long sought freedom. Her raced freed from the shackles of the lolthite religion in Andunor, at least for now. There was nothing to be felt though, as if her soul itself would have been frozen.

When the meetings concluded she wandered through the estate's chambers to tend to the needs of her House. Reconnecting with her family usually brought some comfort as they always reminded her, what was it like to live in society. A century of hermitage certainly did not do her good, when it came to easing back into the life of a normal drow. She thought she can have some light hearted chat with her Little Serpent, but it seemed she lost the luxury of this as well. It could have hurt, but she hardly felt anything. She noted the fact in her mind, shelving it for later. The emptiness inside her would have caused her concern, but she was void of feeling dread either. As she was handing over some finely woven silk to her weapon master, she realized she has to go back to the place she found some months ago. A faint calling that was no longer to be ignored, for there was something amiss. She met with her First Daughter on the way out, as a final test. She had been questioned and she could hear from her disheartened tone the dissatisfaction. She knew she should have felt anger, but yet again, in its place there was nothing, just another problem to be amended. Determined to move on, she left the dark behind.

Merely few hours have passed, when she was kneeling at that remote place. The presence of the hostile nature was all around her, reminding her, she treaded on forbidden soil, which was unable to challenge her for now. As she realized the meaning of the ancient carvings, she felt its power seeping through her reading hand, right into her soul. She felt heat slowly gathering deep inside her. The rigid core of shackled emotions: all the rage and sadness, laughter and happiness bursting into flames. Soon they have melded into an amalgam of pure emotion. There was untold pain that could not be hidden away from. She cried out long and her voice slowly turned into a deep roar echoing through the land. Where once a small drowess kneeled, now lied a towering figure of muscle, hidden beneath nigh impenetrable scales. The new born red dragon stretched her mighty wings growling with satisfaction. Deep inside she felt the blasphemous flames surrounding her still frozen heart. She felt the calmness of being whole, in control, but not lost anymore. She sprang into flight, taking off to the northern mountains on her powerful wings. Her home awaited and there was still so much to do.
Your friendly neighborhood eldritch horror