Sword & Spellbook

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

flower

Sword & Spellbook

Post by flower » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Runaway

The candle light flashs in the chamber. "Put it out finally, and get to bed!" growled young Josys at her sister. She still kept sitting there, writting things down. That was, a mistake. It immedietly spurred streams of ranting. The usuall things, from how noone cares for Eleanor's desires, magic, how is underestimated, bored...and if Josys wasn't too tired she could notice a new one. How soon they will get rid of her and she will pursuit what she wants. But her sister already wrapped pillow over head, digging into bed, trying to sleep.

"Young lady, get up! Mother awaits you and your sister for breakfest!" called servant maid and roughly woke Josys up. Then walked off. Trying to wake up Eleanor often resulted in outbursted magic all around, so she never tried again. Josys sat on bed and sighed out. "Eleanor Tyraell! Get your arse off bed" I am hungry, and you know well mother allows us to eat only if both come!"shouted and tossed pillow over room. Nothing. Slipped off bed and walked up, dragging sheets from the bed. For a time, she stared at pillows stuffed below sheets. Wincing.

Wildly rode through forest, finally, coast. But Josys is late. And knows it. Pulls reigns. No sense to madly ride to city, and into port. The ship already began to sneak along coast.
Observed the deck, and yes, there stood her twin. Proudly, until noticed Josys. Surprise apepared in eyes. For a moment, uncertain face. Then she grinned and showed very rude gesture
at her sister. Josys stood up in saddle, shaking fist at her. Eleanor waved hand and smile filled face. Her sister did not respond immedietly. She felt...that waving back would be definitive.
That it would be a final confirmation. That her twin is gone. Smile in face of Eleanor slowly vanished, staring at Josys from distant. In the moment she half turned, Josys finally waved.
Smiled slipped back on, then girl disappeared below deck.

"I will be powerful mage and you will be a knight protecting me," the sentence resonated within head of Josys. Bullshit. She would like to curse, but it would go against her decorum. Josys
knows how to insult without rude words. When small kids, they often run in forest playing on different heroes. But Eleanor never grew up from it. Unlike her, Josys hated every single moment,
she had to spent on travels with father outside of Green Island. Visiting friends, making trade.

What she loved, her sister called boredom. And non stop ruined all. That race last time? Just to let win the poor Elf she spooked horse of her sister, after Josys refused to cheat and let him win. And the small vulcano, popping out in forest...she did not lie because of Eleanor, and she never had forgiven her. Their parents had right to know it.

Like blinded, Josys pulled silver chainmail over head, and attached another, short and golden one on top of it. Adventuring is not for them. From the stand, she picked up sword and its scabbard.
Eleanor forced Josys to do, what she hated. To leave Island. She sworn oath to mother, to bring her back. And beside, the bond became too huge. The longer twin was away, the worse it felt.
In no case, Josys had plans to crawl dark places, adventuring and exploring, with Eleanor. The goal set is only one. Bring her home. Nothing else.

For the trip, taking Josys from home, Josys blamed only herself. She had to pay more attention to desires of sister. But deep in heart she knows also, she could not sway that rebel from this,
from the desire to explore. Went to the courtyard. How long is sister gone? Three months? Five? The time suddenly dragged on. She raised head up, staring into Sun until pain forced her dodge
with eyes. The time plays no role in life of Ar-tel-quessier. Josys will bring her home, safely, despite the age it may take. Young elven beuty climbed up into saddle, words from childhood
sounding in mind again. She shook head. The naive dreams of childhood...

flower

Re: Sword & Spellbook

Post by flower » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 am

Josys looked behind herself, watching sleeping Eleanor in bed. Then looked down, to the parchment. She picked up quill, and began to write.

"Dear mother,

I found sister. Our return home is going to be delayed, in unknown period. But what time is for Ar-tel-quessir? We dwell in local elven city. No worries, we are all in one piece.
Eleanor sends her greetings.

Your, Josys-Sylthana and Eleanor."

She folded letter and marked it with house insignia. It was short, brief. But either that, or to lie. Elf reached for another parchment.

"Cousin,

I was right. The map my sister forgot on table led me to her. She, as usually, is stubborn as Dwarf, refusing to leave. Do not tell that to mother, or she would immedietly send out household guards...I'll let some freedom to her and maybe in time that damned adventuring would bore her enough to agree for return.
However, you have no idea what hell am i going trough. Local Elves often act like humans or even prefer their company over own kin. I even met one who hates what is elven. On top of that, i barely understand rest of Elves.

Humans. Imagine this. They are often so hard trying to get in your company, ignoring your attempts to imply how much unwelcome are. So you express that openly and now suddenly are
insulted. Often, they feel rightful to interfere with your buisness. Giving you unwanted advices and rushing to - pointless- help and expecting you be in debt with them.
I stood up for one, willing to fight his duel even, yet you know what he did? He punched that witch and run off. Not like she would be much better. First taunted and insulted him, then
mouthfull about calling trial for his punch. Mother always says, be wary of humans. And i will add, especially those who call themselves hand or tool of a god. Coronal, or his lover, said that we consider ourselves Children of Corellon. They, however, ignore the fact that children are to obey father, learn from him, and are tied up with responsibilities to him.
While when someone calls himself hand of the god, he can and will, excuse all his doing it is the god's will. Whatever crap he would do, he could blame his god to command it.

I hate this island. It rains. Over and over.

J-S-T"

Girl placed quill aside and folded second letter. She rubbed her eyes, sighed out. Undone her weapon belt with scabbards with two longswords, and set them onto table.

flower

Re: Sword & Spellbook

Post by flower » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:12 pm

"Cousin,

In previous letter i left out my encounter with a vampire. It happened like that...I ventured into a cave, and chased some troll. I found myself in some crystalic cave,
when crystals began to move trying to smash me. I had not been able to stand up them, and fled. Now, i know you probably laugh at idea of me running across unknown caves,
screaming, having all possible and impossible creatures chase me. I never had to run, before anything or anyone, until that moment. Yes. Not funny.

I fled to some weird place with a bar, and undead ilithid as barkeeper. Cousin, you know i never drink...just in case if you think i make up that. I then travelled further reaching some
caves with ants. There i came across really strange human. He kept talks, but took me up, showing me way above. We clashed in the end with words and he turnt to bat fleeing.
Elves, when i described them bit by bit, what happened, told me it was most likely a...vampire! I think i was too powerful for him, or he would have taken chances. But he helped,
even if little, so i should narrow an eye when running into him, but fortunetly, he immedietly flees when i come across him, so really no need to keep that in mind.

Do you remember how i wrote before about Elves acting like not ones? We met a gathering in Tower. Two Elves and some smaller human like crowd were bickering our Elvenkind and deep
gnomes. Calling us xenophobic and alike, claiming how we must open our places to non Elvenkind. Fully ignoring how the crime rate is high in streets. Assaults, killing, insults in Cordor
are on daily rate and even I heard guards enforcing laws are regularly attacked and slayed.

I could not let these insults go. I let myself carried off, but calling him human hugger was highly deserved. He, in return, called me drow kisser. i gave him chance to back off, but he drew blade on me! Fight opened and i lost.

That happens, when you face fully geared warrior. But my own stuff got huge improvement lately. Not being tied by being sentinel, i would go out seeking the slightest excuse or even taunt him into
another fight. But i simple cannot. I will just wait, passively, for him to pile up insults to our Elvenkind again. I will never back off from standing up for us.

PS: I still hate this island. And it rarely stops to rain.

J-S-T"