A Wizard's Work.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Dreams

A Wizard's Work.

Post by Dreams » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:45 am

4/10/134 AR

Today I begin keeping a journal. Yes, it is me, the famous author of The Rod of Wonder and The Elder Dream. Likely more books to come, but I suspect these will be titles to do with my current works on the Realmscape and various theories of the Crystal Spheres. I don't think my deepest, darkest secrets will end up in here, but instead this will document my ongoing studies into the lost frontiers of magic.

I remember the day, almost thirty years ago now, when I first stepped into the academy in Waterdeep. I was so excited to be there, magic was such a splendorous thing back then! The lights, the colours, the sounds and the effects, all of it was amazing. It just seemed to come so easily to the fingers of those practiced wizards. The performances of magic that I'd seen on the streets, at mage fairs, the magical trinkets that I was never allowed to touch, all of it... all of it would soon be my world.

Little did I know back then. So little did I know. It would be years of hard work before I'd even truly grasp the concept of a true 'spell'. Cantrips weren't so hard, but the spells of the first circle took me far longer than I'd like to admit. Though, once it came to me, it was like a dam that had been breeched. Broched? Brooched? (Check spelling of breeched, or the word. Damned language.) Magic was like a------ I can't think right now. Magic was good. Now it's just a tool. I'll come up with some lovely flowery language for the next entry. Or I won't. I haven't decided.

Dreams

Re: A Wizard's Work.

Post by Dreams » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:46 am

9/10/134AR

It occurred to me today that I've chosen a rather chaotic place to live. Daily intrusions of various sorts interrupt my study. A spriggan menace, various murders, emotions running rampant in a place I would have described as a house of reason. I chose it based on the stories I'd heard about fantastic feats of magic, access to a library, and access to a (what seems to be) stable portal.

Perhaps I was wrong in coming to the Arcane Tower, but I've grown to admire it. It is the true centre of magic on this island, even in this region. Both the best and worst of the minds I've encountered have been in this tower. It has offered me a rather unique perspective particularly on more chaotic magic than I would have otherwise observed. I think I could do quite well here. Besides, I'm very fond of my room!

I'm considering developing a lesson plan based on the moral considerations of the use of magic. By Mystra, some of them could really do with it! My hesitation to make my thoughts known, in some attempt to fit in, has been in vain. Whilst I've been accepted as a 'Magus', the occasional advice I offer on strategy and precautions in general go unheard.

Why should anyone listen to an Abjurer when it comes to protection? Honestly!

Dreams

Re: A Wizard's Work.

Post by Dreams » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:02 am

12/10/134AR

My new apprentice is interesting. Very cute. She's a dangerous temptation with a little tail and everything? What a shocking thought to actually have! In truth, she's some kind of an elven and fiendish mutt. Stranger still is her sharp and cunning mind. I was impressed, so I tasked her to improving the telescope I had her acquire. Perhaps it will help my research? We'll see in time. I like the way she says 'Master' in this incredibly creepy voice. Gives me shivers. Not the good kind, but I like it all the same.

There are some others that interest me in the Tower, but more than that, it is the works that they focus on. I'm not one for the theft of magical secrets, but the more I can learn about my colleagues and what they're up to, the safer I'll be. So far I've protected my room and built layers of spells into the walls to keep me safe from external forces. More information will have to be gathered so that I can be sure. I suspect I might be able to ready a field of teleportation, to whisk my entire room out of the pocket plane it exists within and into the Prime somewhere else. Only in the event of destruction of the Tower. I'm not sure, probably useful to work out.

I'm interested in Angela's orb. It seems to be some kind of containment device? I've only seen it from afar yet. Hopefully I'll be able to ask some questions about it some day soon.

(Addition: I managed to catch Angela and Veritas discussing the sphere in the hallway. Learned a little more, now I'm considering various solutions for making the sphere more efficient. I'll make notes in the workbook. See page 1,374.)