Just two steps from hell...

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Rexiczech

Just two steps from hell...

Post by Rexiczech » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:45 pm

"Welcome to Cordor!" says Captain.
"Ye ye, just let me out of the ship or I will vomit again!" replied, and with a quick gesture of waving hand he left the ship. Now to find a decent inn, get some rumours, and head for an adventure! He though as he was heading towards stalls with selling goods.

"Michael Boyd you say ? Travelling bard are you? Well, you should start at sewers"
"I am not here to kill rats! And what an inkeeper can know about heroes..."
"Believe when I tell you, no rats in there, hehee!" inkeeper answered. "But first, you should get some better equipment. Go to the bank, tell them I sended you, and they will give you a loan. It should be enough to buy some medical supplies from me ha?!" and with laugh he continued to serve another customer.
Well, this starts great, loans, rats... When they spoke of Arelith, they didnt mention rats! Nevermind, I will make it quick. No loans, no rats! I am going to find some heroes, joining them on their mission to save the world! And who knows, maybe one day, they will sing a song about me too...

"Hey priestess, what with this one? He is nearly a boy of fifteen. I am not killing kids."
"You do as I say. They entered your house, killing your friends, untill they knocked on my door. You are alive only thanks to me! Now begone with them, I have lot of work." and without waiting for his answer, she continued her undead practices.
"Dont make her angry." tells one smuggler to another. "You saw what she did to them, you dont want to know what she could do to you."
My life ends here... though Michael. I should stay home, I really should! I was looking for heroes, and I found these? Looked at the group of 4 companions. With a sorrow in face, he now knew the truth. There is no honour, not in death. I curse you! Why you claimed yourselfs heroes... I should knew that it was only plain words at the drink I bought you. What I though?! Blood spilled on his face as head of first one fell on the ground. Noo! It cannot be! How... how... "Dont watch it kid. Think about something beautifull and close your..." sentence unfinished as the neck of second one started to rain blood spray.
"Thats all you can do?! Release me and I show you who has the guts here!" yelled the third one. "Well, show us!" answered one of smugglers as he cut his dagger into his pants.
Michael didnt hear the wailing of third one... He didnt hear anything... His mind is now empty... There is only one thought. HELP... ANYONE... ANYTHING! awaiting his final breath, or the sound of cracking skull... "Make it quick..." Now it comes... And trully. There comes the noise of cracked skull... and another one. Another warm blood spilled Michael face. And now the hard hit of the floor. Floor?! I feel... its... am I dead ? Whats happening flew through his mind when opening eyes. There it is... The dark silluete with horns on his head... His eyes glows with red. "Stand up boy, it's end." tells the voice. Is it... Death? As he stands. "Who... Who are you?"
"Thats none of your concern. I was just going through. You should run untill they catch you again."
Micheal nodded: "I-I.. will."
"And here. Take this. It should help you on your way back. But dont use it when anyone is arround, noone has to know." and gives some book to him with a smile... In that smile was something... cold... But Michael didnt saw that.

Rexiczech

Re: Just two steps from hell...

Post by Rexiczech » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:02 am

In Cordor frontier, just another sunny day, was Michael returning from a trip.

"Yeah, thats all, I am done with those..." says as giving the heads of sea bandit leader to the guard:"untill I find their higher ranked leader, they will still sending new ones."
"You did quite a work here I must admit, its just few months when you arrived, and you bring me heads every day." answered. "Well, I better dont want to know how you do that. See you later then."yelled as Michael headed towards inn.

After ressuplying, he couldnt not notice some party gathering near the entrance. As he headed that way, he overheared.
"Yes, I will head to the Abyss and destroy them..." said some knight...
"Ye you will." with laughing Michael headed towards exit.
"Yes, he will, and we believe him. As should you." someone replied.
"What are you laughing? I am swordsworn of morninglord, Quentin."[/b] answered knight:"That means paladin if you dont know, and you are ?"
Hmn, should I join them ? Are those the heroes I was looking for ? Maybe I can give it one more try... Yes, the book helped me, but it is wrong. I shouldn't use it.
"I am Michael! Travelling bard. Can I join you?" asked Micheal.
"Well, you most probably die there. And the thing is, we not heading to abyss now. We will go to Benwick. It's occupied by devils." paladin Quentin replied.
"Ye, its nothing for a kids. And you will definatelly die there." added someone else.
"Sorry, but you can't go with us." says the Quentin.
"But if I wont go, who will write a poem of your great deeds? I wont be any trouble to you!" urgued Michael.
"No, it's to risky, go home boy." answered some twice the tall as Michael.
"I will prove to you, Big One! I can survive there. I challenge you!" pointed the finger at him.
"Ok." and that's the last what Michael remembers, as he was nearly beaten to death by fists large as his head.

Few hours later, Michael awake at one of room at the inn. Oh, my head. Thank god I have those healing potions. I will head out on some fresh air, that will be wise. Whats wrong with them, beat me just for I wanted write a poem about them! Though as he drunk his potions. He checked his condition, fixed some scratches, and headed out. The weather was welcomingly sunny, so the young boy gets himself under the tree, to the shadow.

Another few hours passed, and Michael started to feel much better. With that he left the shadow of the tree, just to met his old friends.
"Ah, bard... You okey? We though you are dead." with laugh welcomed him.
"I am. I didnt await that solid beating, just to prove myself usefull." replied Michael with some discomfort.
"Well, you asked for it." big one shrugs.
"You could same ask for a fight Ratticat, it would end the same." replied some woman, probably elf.
"Well, I said only brave or insane people go there. You proved you are one of them. You can go with us, but stay close." paladin finally surrendered.
"Great! But don't let me be last!" Michael quickly added from behind.
"You are not, Ratticat is." answered Syl, and when Michael looked behind, the big rat was stalking behind.

So they together headed into the ruins of Benwick, someone called Levi, Big One called Vigr, Elven female called Syl, paladin Quentin and one magician which name wasnt spoken yet.

"So, this is the entrance? Doesnt look too scary to me." argued Michael. He changed his mind, when entered. They were stormed by erynies, devils of all kind, even some pit fiends...
Michael soon found up this venture is condemned. We just entered courtyard, paladin is terrible wounded, the magician nearly dead, they wont be in time with their medkits. The archer from atop is shooting some ferocious arrows, harming all around. I must have no panic in here. I wont panic. I must help somehow. "There is another! Kill them! You are fighting like a true heroes! Carefull, magician is bleeding! Kill that one!" shouts and tries to give them some courage.

The last of devil fell on the ground, dead. Well, the fight was over, and they stand in front of entrance into the stonehold.
"That was a magnificient battle! You fought all with bravery! So, we heading in there aren't we ?" the bardic mounth just dont wanted to stay shut: "Dont be afraid, I will be protecting you in the back!" and pushed to the Syl.
"Don't touch me!" she replied.
They entered, wandering the stonehold greathall, library untill they felt a bit lost. But Michael was with thoughs elsewhere.

Whats really wrong with them? What they possibly want from me? I am just trying to make them feel good. And what I get back? Contempt, beatings, aggression? Well, I am the one here not getting harmed and they nearly twice died! Actually, I can stand them too, I tried to show them. But they just dont care. This is beying a hero? Really? This arrogance? This pride? Egocentrism? They attack the stonehold full of devils with this in hearth?! At least one of them should die, so they start to count me too! I am the kid and they are bleeding nearly to death! Yea, the biggest of them should die to teach them where they are and be thankfull for every help here! Thats was the Michael thoughs, that he even didnt noticed a fighting nearby, firestorm of pit fiend, arcane barrages of missiles from their magician... But he noticed something. The beatifull body, red hairs, beatifull eyes, wings... WINGS?! Thats a...

"Yes, it is me. I heard your wish and I will make it happen. You will see the power of us, lesser devils as we are called by your friends. And that power can be yours to carry too..." sounded in his head. "No, what have I done?" "Devil here! Kill it!" shouted at his fellow companions. This one went down fast.
"She talked to me..." says Michael with concern in his voice.
"Don't listen to them," magician replied: "they can offer you things, pacts and so, which is really not good. Thats nothing you actually want."
"A nothing you will enjoy long." added paladin with vigor in his voice.

Will they really kill the Big One? No, it cant be. I am here with paladin, even Big One is tough he can even destroy all devils here... And the magician? Yes, noone can harm us, they were nearly dead, but it doesnt mean dead, does it? If they are really so powerfull, we would be already all dead. And it is absolutely not my mistake. I even didnt wanted to tell him, but he just... he beaten me just because I wanted to by kind and entertaining! Either way, if he gets killed, he deserve it!
"Vigr! Behind you! Vigr!" shouted paladin. But it was too late. When the bard saw what happened, it was already over, and the Big One lay down on the floor, helplessly.
"There were too many. We must head back before its too late. His soul is leaving his body, to the shrine near Myon fast!" and with that words they headed back.

I did that? I definatelly did. I cant go to Myon. What if they can read my thoughs! I am near to colapsing, they would figure it was my mistake!
"I will wait here." said to the others.
"You better go with us, its really dangerous here." answered someone.
What did I though? Stay here? What they could possible think about me? Staying here alone and surviving? They would beheaded me just where I could be staying. No, but I cant go to elven forest..
"The portal! I can wait for you here. Nothing happens to me here." but Michael didnt get any answer.

I will tell them. I will tell them everything. About the book. How they all behave to me, and so I accidentaly wished Big Ones death. Twice... Nevermind, I must tell them. And If they send me to some temple or something, under lock and view, I will handle it. This is bad. I can't continue. I must tell the truth. About the voices, about the book, about enjoing the power. They will help me. They must! He is a paladin. He will help me. They protect the weak. And I am! I cant defend myself againt it! Its too... tempting. No... Paladin will behaed me immediatelly. And he is right. If Big One isnt coming back with them, thats only one possible judgement for me. Death. Yes, that I must do! And I will! I wont wait for paladin to come back here. I am heading there, to Myon on myself to confess! And I will confess to everything. And with that, Michael turned around to the side where the Myon lies. But too late, in far he saw paladin Quentin, Big One, Syl and Liv heading back.

He is fine! He is alive! What a miracle! I still may be saved! I am going to tell them now, I wont wait for anything.
"Ah, you are here, we were afraid of you." Syl noted.
"Well, did you?" Big One added.
"No, I didn't." answered Syl, and all just passed along.

Michael just noded as a greeting, and silently joined behind.
I was SO much afraid of their lives! I even wanted to give mine in return! And instead of greetings, smiles and joy, they welcomed me that way?! Are they even notice I exist any other time then when they need to beat someone, or spit on someone?Did they even now I did everything I could to help them! I dont even want my coin share! I just wanted to write a hell-damn poem about them! And they return me this! Michael stayed silent, with his thoughs, untill they get to greathall entrance again, looking for another way in.

"If you are looking for us... We will show you the way... We are not afraid of you, not as much as you all should be afraid of us... Just head down the courtyard... That's the place where our portal is..." sounded in Michaels head again. "What about that way? Where it leads?" asked Michael to Levi.

"Which one? Oh!" rushed towards the way. "Thats it! Thats the entrance to catacombs where their portal lies!" said. She was here once... And forget where is the entrance to hell? Or... Maybe it is only when devils want others to find them. Who knows. One is sure. In the catacombs, the Chosen Ones, defenders of this prime plane lost totally. Many good man and woman gaved their lifes here. And portal is still opened. More and more are coming out of it... And more and more Levi and Quentin slays them. Looks like nothing can stop them.

Perhaps they are not so strong, if they allow us to push so fast towards their portal. Maybe they are scared, or waiting for reinforcments. Or... perhaps only awaiting orders, and defending thsemselfs. Well, lets try... You wasnt worried about me? My life is worthless to you? Then yours is to me too, SYL! and with a thought out, the cursed and harming arrows suddenly found their target. Wounded, started to run, Syl fought for her life with everything she got. She felled, but thanks to higher powers, once again she get on her knees, and continue to find a place to hide against the arrows.

Stop it! I believe you. Let us pass. And the attacks stopped. And on the end of the catacomb hallway, there it is. Majestic gate, burning, with unholy symbols marked around... That everything from afar seems like a skull with horns, full of sin and corruption, and within hearth of someone, more divine than anything he already saw... Without the longer hesitation, they entered... The place where they came looks like a wastelands, with last stand of living... well, now dead bodies all around. This fight is lost. There is nothing anyone can do here. They should destroy the gate, not playing to gods themselfs. This is how it ends for everyone, trying to play a god. And we were now... We will die here. I know that. It doesnt matter. I decided to give my life to them. There will be no poems, only burning death. No heroes, only fools... And for the foolishness, the only death is true judgement. I accept it.
"We are leaving!" shouted paladin. "Come, I am not leaving anyone behind! This in no place for us!" and they left one by one through the portal back. All... without Michael.

"My master awaits you." told some kind of lesser devil to Michael. "I await your command, what with you fellow company? Should we kill them or spare their life?"
After all this humiliation, spitting, kicking... After all I tried... There will be no peace. No untill there will be heroes serving themselfs, their own deeds and needs. And in their kind, it will be over and over and over. Only punish for their sins against their own kind is annihilation. I see it now. There cant be songs about heroes, when they are none. But I promise myself... I WILL FIND ONE! Or destroy whole island trying... And then, I will enjoy his converting to the only one rightfull side.
"Do with them what you please." Michael answered. And with this, he moved through hordes of devils to the one on the end. Everyone of a kind must be there, as every devil looked different to Michael, but every looked the same. Fullfilled with hatred, his steps continued. There was no fear, no emotion... Just a duty now.

Michael kneeled before the one, and through a freezing voice he recognized the being. "Here you are. I knew you will find the way. Did you bring the summoning book I lent you few months ago?" asked horned devil.
"I did master." answered Michael returning lesser book of keeping.
"And get up, I dont need you to kneel. You will kneel soon, dont worry. When comes the right time, and If you help me well, I can introduce you to Bel very soon."
"Bel?" Michael asked.
"For you, Lord of the First, Bel the Warlord. Till then, you will answer to me. Serve well, and you will have what any mortal can only dream... Oh, by the way... I let your last company live. Let show them, not what you have become... But what they made from you, my blackguard!
And now, embrace your new power!"