The End Of The Trail.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

FrozenSolid

The End Of The Trail.

Post by FrozenSolid » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:43 am

Faeren's hands were bound tightly as she was led up the wooden ramp to the gallows. The weathered wood of the platform creaked beneath her boots. Each step brought her closer to death, each step closer to the gruesome looking rope that she could not tear her eyes from. A lump formed in her throat. She couldn't swallow it. She wanted to stop, cry, make it all go away but she couldn't. This was her fate. She trudged slowly up the steps her feet feeling heavy like stone.

As Faeren neared the last step before the platform she spared the gathered crowd a glance. Her green eyes darted from face to face. Some sneered at her and some wept. Others looked thrilled to see the upcoming death, while some just looked clueless. Faeren averted her gaze, friends and enemies alike had gathered to witness her passing. She felt like an animal on display. She wished she could die in private, alone without all the greedy and vicious eyes watching her as her final breaths would be choked from her.

As Faeren stepped onto the platform she was shoved towards the noose. She was manuverd towards the center of the platform then turned to face the crowd. Next, the shoddy noose was draped around her slender smoothe neck. It tighted, the bristles of the worn rope pushed against her smooth tanned skin.

Despite her condition she could think of only one thing to do. She held her head up. Tall, proud, her golden hair was tied into its simple ponytail and she was armored in her ranger greens. She would meet this end like she met every other challenge. Head on, without fear and without regret. As she had done a thousand times before she began to drain her emotions out. It was a state of preparedness that she had come to master.

As Faeren stood with the noose around her throat another figure joined her on the platform. The figure began to bellow outward towards the crowd. The figure read from a parchment. "For the crime of High Treason Faeren Reihlin has been sentenced to hanging!" The figure said. The statement was met with a few cheers though most were silent. The figure paused, seeming dissappointed in the lack of approval. The figure turned then to Faeren and the executors and said " I see no reason to delay then. Be done with her."

For Faeren time slowed. Beneath her feet the floor disappeared and she felt herself fall. The noose around her throat rose up and grazed her smooth skin with rope burn. Her green eyes widened in horor. Faeren looked into the crowd. A pang of hate, regret, then unfathomable sadness washed over her.

The rope abruptly caught around her throat and base of her skull. While she neered her final moments her keen green eyes caught sight of a figure in the crowd. Jonah... And Baby Arabel was with him. Jonah couldnt watch, his head was bowed, but Arabel's eyes were wide open. Faeren's green eyes met Arabels green eyes. As Faeren looked into her daughters eyes she shoved the look of horror away and gave her a firm, loving look. Arabel, though young, registered the look. It would remain with her forever.

The noose caught. Faerens neck snapped back in a stomach wrenching crack. Then to Faeren's horror she discovered she was not dead but left to choke. She dangled helplessly by the noose, the rope burned and bit into her soft skin. Her eyes blurred red as she looked to the sky. She choked, gagged, she did everything she could to stop herself from squirming but the effort was futile as her legs jerked desperately for a footing she wouldn't find. She hung then, limp, all of her hopes, dreams, emotions, were brought to an end. From dust cometh to dust return, Faeren Reihlin was dead.

The crowd could have been mistaken for statues for they made not a sound. It was no pleasant sight. it is customary to leave someone hanging for a measure of time to ensure they had in fact passed. Baby Arabel watched wide eyed as her mother swung limply from the noose. She didn't understand. Her mother was always so nice. Why did they do this? This was how the city her mother loved treated her?

Faeren gasped... She let out a cry of unbearable pain as she threw herself out of bed. She scrambled around helplessly, crying loudly as she reached for her throat trying to tear the noose off. There was nothing there.

Startled by his partners sudden jolt and cries of pain Jonah awoke in a hurry and focused
Immediately on Faeren. He too tumbled out of bed and went to hold onto her. "Faeren!" He cried " What is wrong?" He asked while he tried to pull her into his arms.

Faeren's crying quickly converted into sobbing as warm wet tears rolled down her cheeks. She grabbed for Jonah and held onto him for dear life. She cried into his chest unable to form words. Jonah wasn't sure what happened, he simply held onto her patting her back " it's okay Fae, you're safe... You're safe..."

Baby Arabel awoke in her crib to hear her mothers crying. She too began to cry. Jonah sighed as he moved Faeren across the floor with himself and scooped Arabel into his free arm. He held onto both of his girls kissing Faeren's head then Arabel's. He didn't know what was wrong. But it didn't matter. He wouldn't let anyone hurt them.

The dream had shaken Faeren to her core. She was so sure it was real. She cried into Jonahs chest desperate to feel his warmth. She soaked it up as if she has been dead herself and Jonah warmth were bringing her back.

It was a dream. It was only a dream.
Last edited by FrozenSolid on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

FrozenSolid

Re: The End Of The Trail.

Post by FrozenSolid » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:07 am

"Faeren, you cannot be serious." Jonah said, his voice rising in anger. "I swear, I have stood beside you during every trial you have faced but not this Faeren, no, no, no" he said, then grabbed Faeren by her shoulders steering her to face him.

"I have to." Faeren replied as a faint scowl touched her lips while being turned by Jonah. "I can't... Just run away from it. I need to confront it." She said looking to Jonah and crossing her arms. Jonah shook Faeren gently "Faeren! All you have to say is no! You are a master at evasion, Areliths top mercenaries have been hunting you on and off since Wharftown and you have eluded them! Please! Faeren do not do this!" Jonahs asked, his voice shouting now.

"I have to! "Faeren retorted her own voice rising in volume and anger. She tried to shove Jonah off of herself. It was a half hearted attempt.

Jonah grit his teeth. "No, you dont!" He said then responded to the shoving with a shove of his own pushing Faeren back against the wall where he pinned her by her shoulders. "Please, Faeren, if not for me, then for Arabel."

Baby Arabel watched the pair from her crib. She was holding onto her blanket and chewing on her most favorite corner. Her stoical green eyes looked at Faeren curiously. Faeren blinked at Arabel, Arabel's eyes betrayed her youth in a way that Faeren sometimes found troubling. Fae shook her head breaking her eye contavt with Arabel and looked back to Jonah.

"I have to." She repeated in a soft voice then continued. "For Arabel, for you, our friends, and every other family in Cordor. I can't turn my back. Not now." She finished then hung her head looking to Jonahs feet.

Jonah pressed Faeren back against the wall determined not to release her "What about your dream?" He said leaning against her and murmuring into her ear. "That's all it was Jonah, a dream." Fae replied. Jonah sighed in response.

"Seek the council of your friends then, sometimes you... You get caught up in your emotions and you don't think straight." Jonah said giving her another shove to emphasize his point.

"Fine..." She replied then shoved him back with enough force to make him stumble.

Jonah smirked then wrapped Faeren into his arms. "Who gave you such a brave heart? I both hate them and love them." Jonah said. He pulled Faeren off the wall and simply held onto her in a bear hug that he had no intention of ending.

Baby Arabel relaxed as she saw her parents demeanors change... Her green eyes remained focused on her mother. Arabel liked her mothers golden hair, it was shiny, soft, and usually smelled nice.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:19 am

Baby Arabel had learned to walk. Faeren had been helping her for awhile, standing her up and helping her get used to those funny legs. It wasn't long before the bright eyed child was bouncing around on her feet falling over, running into things and trying to climb onto whatever she could. Watching her waddle around always made Faeren grin.

As the days went on Arabel had become aware of a change in her mother and fathers demeanor. They were tense, they would argue often and everything seemed unpleasanT. Arabel discovered the best trick to lighten the mood was to draw attention to herself. Insantly her mothers and fathers features would light up and they would be happy again. That was all she wanted, everyone to be happy and focused on herself, of course.

Tonight, things were different. Her parents were shouting again and despite her best efforts she could not get them to notice her. She noted her mothers eyes would peer at her then flick right back to her father. Baby Arabel plopped down on her butt then chewing on her blanket as she held onto her stuffed dog. She watched her parents trying to decide what was going on.

Arabel watched her mother closely. She had started to recognize trends in her mothers posture. Right now she was rigid, aggressive, and looked frustrated. Her father shared many of the same postures but as the argument went on she watched as her father would soften, speak to her mother, then wacth as her mother would slowly relax and come to rest in her fathers arms.

Arabel's observations were spot on. Like a true ranger Arabel was already becoming a silent observer.

She wasn't sure why they were arguing so much but hoped they would go back to normal soon.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:50 am

Jonah swallowed hard. It felt like a rock had been lodged in his throat. He didn't like this, not at all. But here they were, Faeren had made her choice. Jonah carried a large back pack full of clothes, gear, and heirlooms. He stood in the door way and watched Faeren. He did his best to breathe steadily and not shed any tears.

"There you go Arabel, you look excellent." Faeren said to her daughter with a grin. Faeren had just finished buttoning up a warm fur coat on Arabel and Arabel adored it. It was fluffy and soft like her blanket! But even better was the fact that she didn't have to hold it! It stayed on her keeping her warm even as she waddled around and crawled. She still wanted her blanket, however, and her stuffed dog. She accepted them eagerly as Faeren returned them to her and immediately returned to chewing on her blanket.

Faeren smirked at Arabel. She so desperately wanted to stay with her. The little bundle was adorable, she was her daughter! And she loved her more than anything. Faeren already missed her... She wanted to watch her grow up, every minute, every moment was precious. Faeren held onto Arabels sides as the little bundle of child stood and watched her mother "Oh yeah" Faeren said outloud and reached for her belt. She removed an olive green hair ribbon then showed it to Arabel.

"See this? Some day you'll have enough hair to use it." Faeren said then lowered her head to show Arabel the olive green ribbon in her own hair. Arabel watched, and curiously put a hand in her mothers hair. She liked her hair. It was soft, and always seemed to glow. Faeren raised her head slightly to look at Arabel. Arabel's hand rested on Faerens head.

"Here..." Fae said then pushed up Arabels coat sleeve. She tied the green ribbon around her small wrist "This one is yours. Don't lose it!" Fae smiled to her. Arabel was blown away. She wore the same thing her mother wore! The concept thrilled her to pieces as her face lit up and she burst out into a fit of giggles. Arabel squirmed out of her mothers grip so she could hug her.

Faeren embraced Arabel back. Warm tears spilled out of her eyes as she looked up at Jonah. Jonah still stood in the doorway. He had already began to cry and was on the verge of sobbing. He mouthed a statement quietly to Faeren. "Come with". Faeren averted her eyes. A painful sob escaped Jonah as he turned away.

Arabel was too lost in her giggles to notice her fathers sob. But as she pulled back from her hug she saw her mothers tears. Her eyebrows furrowed as her grin faded. Arabels green eyes took on a frightened look. Had she done something wrong? Faeren saw the expression change and immediately wrapped Arabel back into a hug then stood up and lifted her into her arms.

"Mommy has to take care of some things. Just Mommy though, you can't come with for this one, it's too dangerous." Fae whispered to Arabel as she held her tightly and rubbed her hand soothingly on her back. "You're growing up fast, my little ranger, i gave your father a map Make sure he sticks to the trail, he's just awful at directions." Fae continued to whisper as a faint smile touched her lips.

She held Arabel for a few minutes longer, then Faeren began to walk across the room to Jonah. She lifted Arabel off of herself and set her into Jonah's outstretched arms. Jonah took Arabel up and held her so they could both look at Faeren.

Arabel wasn't sure why everyone was crying but the atmosphere of emotion weighed on her as her own tears began to stream down her cheeks. Faeren leaned in and brushed the tears from Arabel's cheek "It's okay..." Faeren said soothingly. She then looked to Jonah. Jonah pivoted to face Faeren directly. With his free hand he scooped his hand to the back of her head and drew her into a kiss. It was long, and filled with the same passion as the first kiss they shared nearly half a decade ago. He released her then. Eyes still wet with tears.

No words could express what was being felt. Arabel let out a quiet wimper. Jonah turned away from Faeren. "I don't know why you are like this." He said still faced away. "I love you Faeren but I wish you would come with" he sighed. "We've been over this." Faeren replied "I want to, I so badly want to... But I need to finish this. Once and for all." She stated, then choked down the desire to sob.

"And if you die? What do I tell Arabel?" Jonah asked

Faeren replied "Tell her, her mother loved her more then anything. But everyone has a trail to walk. And sometimes, we have to walk those trails alone."

Jonah had nothing to say. He gripped Arabel tighter "Come back to me pup." He said to Faeren as he used her nickname.

"I'll try." Faeren replied meekly

Jonah couldn't bear it anymore. He turned and began to walk away. Baby Arabel watched Faeren over Her fathers shoulder. Why wasnt her mother coming with? Arabels green eyes widened as she realized what was happening.

Faeren offered Arabel a wave. It was dumb, but it was all she could think to do. Arabel began to cry and thrash in her fathers arms. "Shhh..." Jonah said then patted Arabels back as they walked "She'll come back. She always does." Jonah murmured to Arabel to try and comfort her.

Faeren watched them walk up the stairs into the dwarven halls. Once they were out of sight Faeren shut the door to their room.

She fell to her knees. She was in more pain than she had ever been before. It felt like her heart had just been torn out. How could she do this? The sight of Arabels grief stricken face ran through her mind. She doubled over, her forehead rested on the floor as she sobbed.

She had to this
For Cordor
She had to
She had to.

"Well, I won't back down
No I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down
No I'll stand my ground
Won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world
from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground
And I won't back down."

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:34 am

Arabel scowled at Jonah as they walked... She wanted to say something to him but everytime she tried to form words they only came out as curious sounding garble. Jonah thought it sounded adorable and would kiss Arabel on the head. Arabel huffed...

Jonah travelled at a steady pace. Years of keeping up with Faeren had toned his muscles and taught him a thing or two about survival. Not that it would be hard since he carried everything they needed and the destination wasn't far. Still, it helped and he wanted to get to the safe house as soon as possible.

For Arabel the journey was atleast interesting. She was tucked into the back pack and bounced along with Jonahs gear as they walked. They were heading down the moutain and the chilly air barely bothered Arabel as she was wrapped in her coat and blankets. She admired the birds and trees recalling what her mother had told her about them. Faeren had taken Arabel out on more then one hike and did her best to fill Arabel's young mind with forest knowledge suspecting that when Arabel was older she would find such things would come natural.

By the time the sun was setting Jonah had reached a worn down shack that rested at the base of the mountains far enough down to spare the inhabitants the coldest air of the mountains and in a rural enough location that it was unlikely anyone would find them. He paused before entering the cabin, checking for trails and disturbances like Fae bad taught him. There was nothing abnormal that he could discern, everything looked untouched.

Satisfied with the condition of the cabin Jonah pried the loosely hanging door back and entered. He set down his pack then and removed Arabel setting her on her feet "Stay close" he said to her then smiled. Arabel had no intention of doing anything else. It was getting dark and scary and she hoped Jonah would make a fire. She plopped on her butt and resigned to watching Jonah.

Jonah shuffled around, cast a light spell and inspected the integrity of the cabin. Satisfied what remained of the structure was sturdy he dismissed his spell then turned to Arabel kneeling down to her height. "Remember what mommy said about light? You can see it miles away in the dark. If Fae was here she would have cast ultravision then she could see everything without making so much light." Jonah explained to Arabel. Arabel didn't exactly know what he was going on about but decided she liked the attention. She nodded her head to him.

Jonah turned then to look out the gaps in the door. The sun was barely visible. "Come on Arabel, let's get some sticks, we'll make a small fire." Jonah said pulling Arabel up by her small hands. As Jonah left Arabel waddled after him in her funny pre toddler walk.

Arabel waddled along picking up small twigs. She was more interested in waving them around. She watched Jonah curiously and stayed near him as the shadows of night began to creep around them. they didn't stray far and There was plenty of tree debris . Soon Jonah had returned them to the cabin where he lit a small fire and warmed up some soup for himself and for Arabel he broke up small pieces of bread and apples.

"How's the adventure so far?" He asked Arabel with a gentle smile. Arabel blinked at him. The question she wanted to ask popped back into her head but she could only offer a garble of soft noises. Jonah smiled and ruffles Arabels hair. "You're adorable" he said with a chuckle as he watched his daughter.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:59 am

Faeren rolled over in bed. She was hugging the life out of a pillow that was doing a poor job as a subsitute for her husband. Faeren was restless. Eventually, she gave up on sleep all together and slid out of bed. She was frustrated, angry, afraid, worried... A thousand emotions pulsed through her. She wanted to punch someone! Instead of becoming irrationally violent she dropped to her palms and began doing push ups.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5,

She wished the trial was over

6, 7, 8, 9, 10,

More then a few threatend to kill her before the trial. She couldn't let that happen.

11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17..,.

What if they tried to kill her once she was in the cell? What if no one kept their word?

18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24,

She was starting to like this plan less and less.

25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30,

But what about Bellamy? And what happened to Chuck? The other families? They had to see what was going on around them, no one was safe.

31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39,

Faeren huffed, her muscles had started to burn. She revelled in it the burn and ache was what she wanted.

40, 41, 42, 43...
She kept going, one after another until she was panting and her arms felt like noodles. She flopped onto her back and stared into the depthless black that was the ceiling. She had to resolve this. And she had to live.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:23 am

Baby Arabel opened her eyes... She was warm, and comfortable. Jonah had a single arm wrapped around her keeping her hugged against himself. She had her fur coat on, her hood was pulled up. There was also a warm blanket pulled over them both. Arabel's green eyes wandered around.

The morning sun had come up, a few birds sang, the breeze was still chilly but not cold. Arabel sniffed... The remains of their fire still smoldered... Baby Arabel's stomach growled... She had to go potty! She sighed then glanced at Jonah who was still asleep. Arabel decided she'd try to sleep more, and she did.

After another hour Jonah was awake. The pair shared breakfast and then stepped out of their hovel like cabin. "Ah... Another glorious day." Jonah said as he breathed in the fresh air. His eyebrows creased however, it had been weeks, and he had heard nothing from Faeren. Arabel had noted this as well... She scowled as she looked around, each morning she imagined she would leave the cabin and find her mother sitting out there waiting for her. But it had never happened. Arabel sigh, her head hanging as she sulked.

Jonah's eyes continued to scan the tree line hoping to spot some sign of tracks. Maybe Faeren had come, but didn't want to wake them and went for a walk? The thought was far fetched but he liked to hold onto hope. Then, to break the silence someone spoke.

Arabel turned and looked up to Jonah... "W...W..Where is... Mom?" She stuttered out, her first words, a whole sentence. For most, the speech of their first child was a huge achievement! But for Jonah, the words could not have hurt him more. He avoided looking at Arabl as he wiped some tears from his eyes. Was she dead? He didn't know.

Jonah sucked in a breath of air. "Mom is... Taking care of some things." He tried to explain "She's... Got to do them on her own." He finished, reaching up to rub his neck. Arabel's eyebrows furrowed. She didn't understand that.

A moment of silence passed, and then Jonah squinted... He smiled faintly as he looked to the distance.

"Arabel!" He said

Arabel's head swiveled to her father.

Jonah pointed into the trees! "Look, a whole herd of dear!" He said

Arabel's eyes widened as she saw the mass of creatures. All the deer turned to look at them. Arabel grinned!

Jonah scooped Arabel into his lap "Shhhh" he said softly "If we're quiet, maybe they'll stay" He murmured.

The pair sat and watched the deer then. Arabel's mind distracted from her mothers absence for now

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:40 am

Faeren was laying on her back, head and arms flopped over the front of the bed as she stared upside down at the door to her bedroom. She had been saying good byes to a lot of different people and she had started to question her decision to leave. So many good friends. So many memories... Her mind wandered, her heart ached.

Perhaps it was worth staying? It couldn't be that bad. She had many friends, and there was still a city to liberate. Faeren sighed. As she sighed there was a loud thump just outside her door! Faeren pushed herself out of bed fumbled for a moment then grabbed her bow and an arrow from her nearby quiver. She leveled the bow at the door. The door didn't budge. Instead, a burst of laughter erupted outside her door from the tavern. It was only the dwarves rough housing...

Faeren lowered her bow and slid the arrow back into her quiver... She stood then holding her bow half dressed and alone. Fae stared at the door... Then proceded to set her bow down beside her quiver. Relieved of her gear she threw herself back into bed. This is why she had to leave. Because Arabel could never be safe here. Faeren was on edge, she would always be on edge. How is she supposed to raise a child while also hunting and being hunted by some of Areliths most dangerous mercenaries? She couldnt. She wouldnt. Faeren had to leave, for Arabel.

She snuggled beneath the bed sheets and grabbed onto a pillow that was subsituted for Jonah. with the pillow hugged tigtly she rolled onto her side to blow out the candle on the night stand. Alone in the darkness her mind wandered again.

Leaving wasn't so bad. She imagined her family having a new house, maybe in a nice village in the Cormyrian Kingdom? She could see it, the three of them sat around the kitchen table for breakfast. Golden sunlight streaming into the windows... No fear. No worries. No one was going to kick their door down. No one was going to raid their house. Faeren would never open the door to find death threats nailed to the door. And the locals wouldn't scowl at her. And Arabel would be safe.

Faeren's eyes closed as she imagined, a faint smile touched her lips. Arabel... She could grow up, Fae would teach her everything she knew. She would be a ranger in no time. Or.... Maybe she would be priestly like her father? Both Jonah and Faeren owed Ilmater an incredible debt. Twice he had restored them. Twice brought back from the cusp of death. The healing power Jonah had from Ilmater was immense. It would be fitting that their daughter follow the god.

Another content sigh came from Faeren as she rolled onto her back. Whatever Arabel chose, all Faeren wanted was for her to be happy.

Faeren wondered how they were doing? She would be leaving for them soon. A friend requested a painting of her... She had found an artist and had to sit for him for a few hours so it could be finished. Then... Faeren would leave

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:22 am

Faeren released a sigh as she closed the flap of her backpack tben tied it shut. There wasn't too much left to pack. She had sold most of her redundant gear like extra wands, armour and other pieces and had made a large enough fortune to call herself a poor noble. But for the life she had planned with her family? It was more than enough.

She hefted her backpack onto her back and gave herself a quick pat over to make sure she had everything she needed. Wands, weapons, scrolls, bandages... It was all there. She gave herself a firm nod then blew out the candle in her Brogendenstein bedroom for the last time.

As she pushed open the door and exited the tavern the butterflies of anticipation began to flutter in her stomach. It had been over a month since she had seen her familh and she couldn't wait to get back to them. She could almost feel Jonah's arms wrapping around her, and see little Arabel running around at her feet. A grin touched her lips. She half hopped half walked up the stairs leading into the main dwarven halls.

She was leaving. All of her friends, memories, her home... It was bittersweet, a pang of hate even swelled for a moment as she considered most of this had been spurred by one man. She hoped he would enjoy his civil war ridden city, underhanded deals, and lies. She hoped they'd be the death of him. She huffed then closed her eyes pushing the thoughts out. He didn't matter anymore. None of it did.

Before she left the halls she stopped bu the Dwarven message boards and tacked a note to them. She skimmed it over, unsure what the Thane would think. She hummed idly, then shrugged as she turned to leave and head down the mountain.

As she exited the halls she removed a wand. She muttered a few spells, then tapped the wand on herself as she vanished from magical and natural sight. Being cloaked engirely she broke pff at a run as she went down the mountain.

The invisability prevented scrying. Paired with her own natural nature walking skills she was virtually untrackable. She continued the invisability as she went, spending the first leg of her journey between jogging and running.

Satisfied that she wasn't being followed she slowed to a walk and continued on her way.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:26 am

Jonahs eyes opened slowly... He looked around. He was laying propped up on a log covere with a blanket to make it soft. Snuggled against his side he felt his daughter Arabel still fast asleep and breathing smoothley. He could tell is was roughly mid morning, sunlight gleamed through the cracks in the battered cabin door and gaps in the cabin walls. He could hear the birds singing and felt a gentle warm breeze blow through the cabin. He let out a sigh.

It had been well past a month now and still no word from Faeren. He started to regret ever letting her talk him into this. He should have put his foot down! He thought... No, he thought again, Faeren isnt one to be stepped on. Though, if he had truly insisted he knew she would have listened. He admired Faeren for that. Her willingness to follow his direction. She would set herself aside for him. And he would do the same for her. But how could he ask she not follow her heart?

Jonah adjusted his head on the pillow and stared up at the ceiling. "Faeren is perfect." He thought. He wondered what he had ever done to 'tame' such a girl. She was a ranger. There is no greater deffinition of self reliant. Yet she allowed Jonah to 'have' her. He remembered their first kiss. At the time, he was skinny, pale, and unimpressive. But this girl, strong, fit, and beautiful seemed to like him. How did he ever grab her attention?

Jonah adjusted his postirion slightly then refocused his memories. He recalled their first kiss. The skinny pale boy sitting beside a golden haired goddess in the desert. They were watching the stars, Faerens warm body was leaned casually against him. They sat and spoke for hours, and when they had run out of things to say? Jonah stared at the golden haired girl and boldly went to kiss her.

Kissing Faeren, as Jonah recalled was incredibly awkward at first. To his astonishment she was just as naive about kissing as he was. He ended up leading the kiss, and to his even greater amazement, she followed his lead. He remembered that. The feeling of Faeren following his lead in the kiss. He had never been so proud. He had never felt so alive.

Faeren was amazing like that, he thought. She always built him up in a way only a girl can to a boy. She made him so... Proud, made him feel invincible. He remembered telling his brother Adano about his girl friend. He hadn't believed he had one at all, then when his brother saw her, his jaw dropped. "How did you get that one?" He asked his brother. Jonah shrugged. Faeren chose to be his. She chose him to be her boy. He didn't know why. But he loved her for it. And she loved him back.

It didn't take long for Jonah to realise he wanted Faeren forever. She was the greatest thing that had ever happened to him. Like the sun, she blew out the darkness of his past, having killed his own mother when she tried to sacrificr him to cyric, and his time as a follower of cyric. That madness was a distant thought. There were so many reasons he loved her. To many to count.

He defeated that darkness within himself in the name of love. Faeren, simply by loving him, pushed him to become a greater man than he was. She gave him that. What did he do to deserve her? Jonah grinned putting his hands over his face. The thought of her made him glow.

Now He lay for awhile, basking in his thoughts of his wife. Then he slowly removed his hands to stare back at the ceiling. He murmured a prayer

"Ilmater, return her to me. Keep her safe." Jonah muttered over and over.

Where was she?

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Faeren was making good progress on her descent down the mountain. But the sun was setting, and even though she strongly wanted to continue, she knew it was best that she stop. There was another reason she wanted to stop. If by chance someone had followed her she wanted to give them the chance to attack before she got to her family. She had a plan, like always.

Faeren shrugged her pack off finding a small outcropping of rocks that would serve to shield her from the weather and wind and protect her back should anyone try to sneak up on her. She gatheted some twigs and branches to make a small fire for the night, then began to dig a variety of traps out of her pack. She rigged them up around her camp. Content with her trap layout, she lit her fire and leaned back against the rocks.

By this time it was dark, and silent. She wasn't making it hard to find her now, if anyone was following she wanted them to make their move. As she waited she heated up some water for some soup and enjoyed a light meal as her green eyes scanned the forest.

Her mind began to wander after a few hours. She thought of Jonah, a pang of desire shot through her... She missed feeling him wrap his arms around her. She missed his dumb jokes. She sighed wistfully as a gentle smirk touched her lips.

Her mind mulled over Jonah. Her partner, someone who had changed her life dramatically. She so desperately needed him. She wasn't sure if that was a weakness? Her ranger side said it was, but she knew her ranger instincts could someines be cold. Jonah made her feel something she had always wanted.

When Faeren was young her mother had long departed and left her in the care of her father. She didn't remember much about him but she knew he liked to drink. During one of his drinking sprees he had been gambling. Having run out of coin he gambled the last thing he had. His daughter. He lost, of course, and the next day the merchant sent his men to collect payment and newest servant. Faeren was taken.

Faeren spent most of her youth as a servant to the travelling merchant. She never quite felt wanted but had found an odd relationship with the Merchants lead navigator and ranger. The man was older, but took Faeren under his wing teaching her everything he knew. When Faeren knew enough, she simply left and departed to Arelith to avoid any chance of meeting the merchant again. Not that he was mean, in fact her life as a servant wasn't to bad. But she wanted to command her own life. Master of her own fate.

At Arelith, Faeren made wonderful friends, and with wonderful friends came terrible enemies. From Wharftown, Cordor, to Andunor and beyond Faeren managed to anger the deadliest of mercenaries and most vile of men. And then when Faeren needed help? She found Arelith's good natured people to be as strong as a wet noodle. And as firm as wet clay. They abandoned her readily and even joined in attacking her.

So it was a small group of friends that kept Faeren sane. And most importantly Jonah.

He looked at her like she was some sort of Goddess. Where others hated her appearance, her attitude, her morals, Jonah complimented them. Jonah was always interested in her, and he often agreed with her ideas. Jonah valued Faeren. And Faeren had spent most of her life being valueless. To find this from Jonah, meant more to her then she could describe.

"Why did Jonah value me?" Faeren thought... Sure, she was physicaly attractive, but being with Faeren meant also attracting the Ire of Areliths most terrible killers. There were prettier girls that didn't come with a side combo of running for ones life and continuous death threats.

Faeren huffed out a breath of air as she considered all of these things. Her green eyes continued to scan the forest. Her ears were sharp, waiting for the slightest of noises to raise her awareness. Her mind wandered again, back to her thoughts.

Jonah stuck it out with her through everything. She was so certain he would abandon her as her situation grew more dire, and dangerous. She was prepared to fall back on her ranger instincts and fight alone. But she never had to. No matter what happened, Jonah never, ever, left her. He never hinted at it.

How could she give a man like that anything else then her full devotion?
Jonah gave Faeren value. And Faeren treasured that immensely.

Faeren released another sigh as she picked up a stick and poked gingerly at her small fire... Her eyes drifted from the forest and focused on the flames as her mind continued to travel back.

She recalled their first kiss, she was shocked by it at first. She had seen kisses, yeah, but having a boy try to do it to her? She was close to punching him in the face, but as it went on she felt something different. Something she hadn't experienced before.

The kiss was more then just a physical desire. It was a connection of spirits. Faeren realized in Jonah's company that she didn't have to fight Jonah. She didn't have to be strong for Jonah. She just had to be Faeren. And that was enough. He loved her just for being herself.

Faeren smiled at that... Closing her eyes as she imagined the kiss. She remembered relaxing. It was okay to relax. She let Jonah lead the kiss, she remembered seeing his face afterwards... He was blushing like mad, but he looked so proud of himself. She remembered grinning at him, it was good to see him so happy. She felt the same.

Faeren hummed thoughtfully. True love wasn't so complicated. It sure took commitment. But it was worth it. She thought...

As Faeren's mind mulled over her thoughts a "CRACK" of a branch echo'd through the forest.

Faeren's mind emptied as her ranger instincts took over. She quickly smothered her flame, her green eyes widened as she scanned the forest. She saw nothing. She scooted back against the rocks, picking her bow up.

She waited then in absolute silence.

Was someone out there?

And if there was, who?

She couldn't die here. Not this close to being back with her family.

Another crack resounded in the forest. She tightened her grip on her bow.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:41 am

Another crack echod through the forest. It was a boot, surely, humanoid, and whatever it was had heavy armour and a large body. Larger then a human... Her ears deduced a thousand details as the sound of movement became more aparent. It became clear whatever was out there was no longer interested in being quiet.

Faeren decided to try and get a look at what was coming. She muttered the ultravision spell on herself blinked a few times to focus her eyes as the darkness faded to a brighter glow of purplish hue that was much easier to see. Content with her vision she moved softly out from the rocks and into the open. Her eyes scanned the forest in the direction of the sound and she instantly spotted the creature.

It was an orc, that much was clear. Nearly six foot, a round form of fat and muscle he wore an assortment of piecemail armour. He was coming towards her camp stepping gingerly but still making considerable noise. Sometimes he would simply stop and squat down. If she had not known he was there she may have mistaken him for a rock.

A single orc... "Easy." She thought as she reached for the quiver on her back. Her fingers brushed the feathers of an arrow then paused as a thought dawned on her. "Since when do orcs go anywhere alone?" She frowned.

Unerved by the thought Faeren took a closer look at her surroundings. The orc was making slow progress towards her but she did not feel threatend by the brute. As she scanned the trees her eyes narrowed... She saw a thigh move, the rest of the figure hidden behind a tree. To the right of that tree she saw the horns of a helmet sticking out over a bush. Her eyes panned slowly around her. There was atleast seven orcs, the brute walking towards her was a distraction. She gave a faint huff of annoyance. "Clever..." She thought.

Usually, Faeren was not bothered by the prospect of combat. In fact, she enjoyed the rush of adrenaline that came from it. There was nothing more primal and pure then meeting someone in combat. The struggle to survive, to win, it was part of nature. But as Faeren prepared to face this challenge a sensation of dread crept over her.

Her mind raced

"Will I die so close to being back witb my family?"

"What if there's more I can't see?"

"What if they got Jonah an-"

Faeren grunted cutting her thoughts off. "Silence" her ranger mind demanded. "You are a shadow. You are a killer. You will not die. You will not lose. " Faerens mind empitied itself of doubts. Her ranger brain fully active. She breathed in and out. Then decided on a plan of attack.

"I am death." She muttered to herself as her fingers teased the feathers of an arrow. A final pause to cement her mind. Then action.

Faeren rose in a swift fluid movement. As she stood her hands drew an arrow and notched it to her bow. By the time she was full height and the first orc had registeted the movement Faerens bow thwapped. The long lethal arrow whipped through the air and slammed into the orcs skull. Faeren heard the body drop. Adrenaline pumped through her veins. Six to go.

The other orcs reacted in shock. They grunted and gave up their hiding places as they turned to rush at Faeren's dimly lit figure. Faeren saw them rise. Aided by her spell it was easy to discern the masses in the darkness. She knew she couldn't kill them all but she still had her traps and blade to rely on. All she had to do was thin the ranks.

Orcs charged out of the trees releasing terrible howls and cries of anger. They rushed at Faeren and Faeren replied with a steady /Thwap/ of her bow. The arrows slammed through the skulls of the orcs and a second, third, then forth orc fell. The last two had closed the distance. She discarded her bow and drew her scimitar and had just enough time to grapple for her shield.

The first orc to near Faeren was frenzied and foaming at the mouth. Approaching rappidly he clumisly yanked the wire of Faerens perimeter trap with his foot. There was a brief sound of discharging air and the orc found himself with spikes protruding through his thighs. He stumbled forward, just enough to trigger the second trap that sent another set of grizzly spikes through his skull. The orc fell face first. Dead.

The last orc skid to a halt. His fevered eyes looked at the girl standing by the rocks. She was unafraid. And why should she be? His comerades lay dead in all directions. He couldn't return to his tribe with this dishonor. He would gut the girl and add her head to his belt. He growled from where he stood and began a slower more tactful approach.

Faeren watched the orc carfully. This one wasn't as dumb as the rest. The orc was moving across where the other had fallen, suspecting that there were no traps there. As the orc neared he issued a growl. She replied with a snarl of her own, then raised her shield.

The orc saw no wires. He stepped over his fallen comrade and entered the small circle of space with where the girl stood. He towered over her and let out a snort. Surely this scrawny thing would be easy prey the orc thought. The orc did admire the girls determination, and thought the snarl was cute. Maybe he'd keep her alive? The orcs thoughts were cut short as the girl lurched towards him.

Faeren attacked, she started by raising her shield as if to bash the orc across his chin. The orc reacted by raising an arm slam it into her shield. The massive weight of the orcs muscle made her shield arm buckle but the orc had left his side exposed. She slid her scimitar beneath his arm feeling the blade cut into flesh and muscle and tear.

The orc howled in pain but before he could react he felt the full force of the girls body slam into him. It was enough to disrupt his footing as the orc felt himself begin to fall. In a classic Faeren move, she decided the best course of action was to tackle the orc. But as it turned out the orc was not the average brute. As he fell, and Faeren fell with him, ontop, he managed to get his arms beneath her near her stomach. At just the right momennt he summoned all of his strength and threw her backwards over his head.

The orc hit the ground with a thud. Faeren went flying and landed with a heavy thump. The impact knocked the air out of her and the jolt had disarmed her. She scrambled choked for air, trying breathe and also draw a wand from her belt all at once. The orc had already risen. He watched the girl scramble and wasted not a moment before rushing after her.

Unfortunately for the orc, he had tossed Faeren just past her perimeter traps. A few feet shorter and Faeren would have been gouged by her own setup. As the orc charged he tripped the wite of the trap. Instantly pain shot through his legs as the spikes tore his flesh. But the pain only served to enrage him further.

Faerens eyes widened. The orc had closed the distance faster then she could recover. She slid the wand out of her belt, all she had to do was-

The orc impacted Faeren the same way she had to him. As he was a hulk of muscle and weight Faeren stood no chance of escaping. They fell to the forest floor. Faeren punched in a frenzied effort to damage the orc but it seemed to have little effect. As they hit the ground fhe orc released a cry of triumph then rose upright, keeping Faeren locked in place wih his massive thighs as he clasped bis hands together and tried to bring them down on Faerens head.

Faeren managed to yank her shield arm up just in time to block. The fists slammed into her shield shattering the wood. She felt her arm twist. It may have been broken. She cried out in pain.

As her shield arm went limp the orc flung her arm to the side. He would kill her now. With his bare hands! They reached forward for her throat as he howled in rage.

At that exact moment Faeren managed to discharge her wand. Instantly her form became distorted, the orc, in astonishment missed his target! Faeren used this brief moment of shock to tug the knife she had in her belt. In her hand, she sat up and rammed it through the orcs neck.

The orc gave a gurgle, grasping at his throat. His eyes began to lose color and the orc fell backwards onto the forest floor.

Faeren watched the life drain from the orc. She was panting heavily, the thrill of victory coursed through her... Then as it wore off, the dull ache of pain... Her arm hurt, actually, her whole body hurt! She used her good arm to shove the corpe off of her "Get.. Off... You oaf!" she muttered shoving the body repeatedly.

Freeing herself from the body Faeren rolled onto her feet... She let out a groan and looked around...

She was alone. For now.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Another morning. Jonah gently opened the cabin door hoping to avoid waking Arabel. He stepped outside. The sun was bright, birds singing, who could ask for more? He breathed in, then out... To Jonah the sun held little warmth and the beauty of nature only served to remind him of what he didn't have. Faeren. Everything seemed dull without her. Where was she?

As Jonah stood and wondered the sound of a horn, deep and strong echod across the forest. It sounded once, twice, then, a third time. The birds fell silent. Jonah frowned and looked around. He saw nothing. He focused his ears, something in the distance was crushing twigs and making noise. A lot of somthings in fact... Jonah clenchrd his jaw. "I hope that is not for us." He thought.

Baby Arabel yawned sleepily, her warm pillow, her dad, had departed much to her disatisfaction. She rolled over into a crawl then slowly got to her feet. As she yawned again Arabel heard the cry of the distant war horns. It sent shivers down her spine. Her first instinct was to find her father, she let out a cry and ran for the door pushing it open and stumbled outside.

Jonah heard Arabel coming and turned to scoop her into his arns. "Shhh it's okay, Arabel." He said to her. His worts meant little, Arabel, sharing her mothers instincts knew that it was not okay. She continued to cry quietly.

With Arabel in one arm Jonah bolted inside the cabin and began packing their gear. He threw things into the pack then pulled it closed. Next he-

Faeren burst into the cabin, she was panting heavily, sweat rolling down her forehead. Jonah's mouth fell open. Arabel squeeled with delight! Faeten gave both of them a big dumb grin that quickly faded as she explained "Jonah, what did I teach you? These orcs have been watching the cabin for atleast three nights! Didn't you see the signs?" Faeren scolded then smirked

Jonah just smiled. Despite the grave tidings and apparent horde of orcs coming for them Jonah only felt happiness. He stopped what he was doing and stepped towards Faeren. He grabbed her, one hand around the small of her back the other cupped her head pulling her against him and into a kiss

"Mm mnnmmm" Faeren was trying to explain that the orcs were coming down the mountain but Jonah's continued deep kiss kept her mouth occupied. She surrenderd to it and indulged him. As Jonah finished and pulled back he let out a satisfied breath. "You were saying?" He asked with a smile "let me guess, somthing somthing and they want to kill us " Jonah said. Faeren nodded in confirmation

Arabel wasn't sure about how her dad greeted her mom but she wasn't going to miss out either. She waddle ran towards Faeren still squeeling in delight as she grabbed onto her leg. Faeren grinned and scooped Arabel into her arms. Arabel immediately showed Faeren the green hair ribbon she had given her. Arabel had never taken it off.

Fae smiled at her daughter kissing her on the head then looked to Jonah. "I killed the closest orcs, the rest are coming from their encampment further up in the mountain. They seem to be at war with another tribe, we're in the middle of it." She explained. Jonah nodded

"Then we peel towards the coast, right? Just like you showed me." Jonah said and Faeren nodded back "Good, We're ready to go then." Jonah said. Faeren glanced at Arabel.... She had gotten bigger. Not enough to rub, and almost to big to reliably carry. They would have to make it work.

The Reihlin family then began at a steady jog. Faeren carried Arabel and Jonah hauled the pack full of gear.

Behind them the deep meancing calls of war horns blew. The stampeding of feet drawing nearer to the cabin.

Faeren didn't look back. The orcs wouldn't catch them.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:12 am

The Reihlin's made a successful get away from the island. Storming down the mountain they evaded the orc war parties and made for the coast. Once they reached the coast Faeren had organized for a merchant vessel to await their arrival at a naturally made port. Her gold spoke some volumes with them and they had no problem waiting and picking them up.

The vessel was comfortable enough and once aboard they departed promptly towards the mainland.

Jonah leaned over the railing watching the island grow smaller as the vessel rolled over the waves. He let out a sigh, then turned his attention towards Faeren, he knew this was harder for her. "Are you okay?" he asked.

Faeren was standing just a few feet away. Arabel was in her arms her head resting against Faeren's shoulder as she slept. Faeren turned her head towards Jonah as she spoke, she simply smiled. "Yeah, I'm fine." she said as she looked at her husband. Partner for life.

Jonah smiled back and closed the distance between them as he came to wrap her in a one armed hug. "I love you." He said. Faeren's smile remained as she leaned her head to rest against Jonah's chest. "I love you to." She replied.

Faeren had come to terms with the most important thing in her life. It wasn't a city, pride, or even her honor. It was her family. Perhaps her life of daring adventures like battling devil hordes into their own plane, facing down dragons, or toppling evil governments were over. But that didn't bother her.

Every time Faeren looked at Arabel an overwhelming love filled her. Seeing her daughter grow up was all she wanted. It was simple. Pure. And true. She had Jonah too, Every night they would share wrapped in each others arms. Every kiss, the good, the bad? She looked forward to it all. She was so proud to be his wife. Sharing her life with him was a treasure.

Faeren was at peace.

As Jonah hugged Faeren and watched the island grow smaller he once again looked towards Faeren. Golden hair, tanned skin, warm, soft... He brought his other hand over to her hair to push it through the golden strands. "What did I ever do to deserve an angel to share my life with?" he thought to himself with an amused smile.

Jonah looked forward to his time with Faeren, uninterrupted by killers and threats. Before Arabel was born, the pair lived together in the house he had bought them in Cordor. On the quiet nights he would work on his paintings, or read, with his dog at his feet. Faeren would be busy in the kitchen. She always insisted on making dinner for him. She wouldn't let him do it, ever.

Then they would eat together, and talk. This was a side of Faeren the outside world didn't get to see. The girl wearing her olive green T-Shirt, bare legs crossed, no weapons, no armour. Jonah treasured this side of Faeren and he looked forward to seeing her in it more often.

Jonah even enjoyed the small things, when Faeren would not take her turn to do laundry and let it build up. Finding her clothes mixed with his, her other odd habits were never a burden, they only amused him (And of course gave ammunition for teasing). The thought of spending uninterrupted years with Faeren made him grin.

Then there was Arabel. His first born, daughter. He was already proud of her. She was gorgeous, he knew she would always be that way. Bright eyed, smart, curious, cute. She was a bundle of love that had claimed his heart as much as Faeren had. He was nervous about seeing her grow up, if she was anything like her mother, which seemed likely, she was liable to be a handful. Jonah just grinned, and shook his head with a smile. He looked forward to seeing the woman his daughter would become.

Jonah was a peace. Ilmater and Faeren's love shielded him from Cyric, and he believed the Reihlin family, for the first time in a long time, could be a story of happiness.

He squeezed Faeren against himself and kissed her head breathing in the scent of her hair. From all the running they had done, Faeren actually smelled rather sour of sweat. Jonah frowned then nudged Faeren playfully "You stink" he said.

"Gee, thanks" Faeren replied sarcastically then elbowed him.

Jonah grinned and chuckled "No problem pup. But you better clean up once we're below deck. Husbands orders." he said.

"Husbands orders?" She asked "Since when is that a thing?" she said.

"Since right now." He replied patting her head softly.

"Do I get wife orders then?" she asked.

"Hmmm... I guess so" He replied after a thoughtful pause.

Faeren nodded her head "Good." she said.

Jonah eyed Faeren carfully "But not to make me do evil things." he tried to correct.

Faeren gave a slow nod. "What if my wife orders were-" she turned, then whispered to Jonah

Jonah flushed red

Faeren grinned at him

"I uh- yeah... Yeah, you know I think that could work out." he said glancing around in case anyone heard Faeren's whisper.

Faeren let out a laugh! Then went back to resting her head on Jonah's chest as she watched the last of Arelith fade into the horizon.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:52 pm

"This is perfect." Faeren thought to herself as she sat on the porch of their Cormyrian house overlooking a luscious green field. It was morning, and the eastern sun had just started to rise. Jonah and Faeren had decided to live in Cormyr. The stability of the kingdom appealed to them. They felt it was the best place to raise their child and future children. Jonah had scoured the maps with Faeren searching for a suitable town, and they found one, large enough to maintain an active militia, and right on the border of the Dale Lands. It was quiet, peaceful, with no orcs, trolls or other monsters roaming about.

The house they purchased was a simple cottage on the outskirts of a town on several acres of land. But Jonah had much grander plans. Insisting that they have the best, Jonah used the foundation of the cottage to commission the construction of a larger house. Two stories tall the houses base was made of Brick and stone while the upper level was crafted out of thick Cormyrian Oakwood. It had five bedrooms, a small library, and big windows on the second floor to let in the sun light and of course a nice oak porch to lounge on during the warm months.

When the house was completed, Jonah brought Faeren to see it. She nearly cried, it was more than she had ever had before. And something about owning a place of their own, on their own land? It meant a great deal to her. She would often wake up in the morning just to roll out of bed and stand in the hallways where the warm sun would have warmed up the wooden floors. She'd wiggle her bare feet on the floors. Their very own floors. Faeren would sit in the hall way watch the sun rise.

Jonah was quite proud of the house. Admittedly, it cost him a fair amount of his gold reserves, but between them both they had a fair deal and he didn't like having as much as they did, for fear of attracting to much attention. The villagers knew enough about them already, clearly adventurers of some sort looking to settle down. The older couples of the village thought it was terribly romantic. Jonah agreed.

When their house was finished Jonah had shown Faeren each room, the bedrooms were of particular importance. Jonah wanted more children. He knew he'd have to go at Faeren's pace, and she was fickle about having kids, but he was confident she could be persuaded.

There was one other special feature of the house Jonah had personally seen to constructing. In their library there was a door that led down a staircase that went beneath the house several feet beneath the earth. The area beneath was a small vault made of stone that held the treasures and adventuring gear they once used. For Faeren, this room was exceptionally special.

Mounted on the wall was her bow. Elegantly designed and carved by the elves it was a treasure she could not part with. Below that was a chest containing her belt, all the wands she had kept, and other high magic items she had used on Arelith.

Standing next to the chest in the corner of the room was an Armor stand. Faeren's Ranger Greens were displayed there she sometimes sat and just stared at them. They represented another life. A life of danger, living on the edge, of dungeons and dragons, wizards and warlocks, friends and enemies... She could sit for hours and recall her adventures.

Sometimes, she would fit her armor back on and strap her quiver back over her back and grab her bow. She'd go jogging with it on or even take Arabel out into the nearby forests to walk and teach her about nature and ranger skills.

Baby Arabel loved the change of pace. For one thing, her parents seemed considerably less troubled. And she was allowed to walk around a lot more without them constantly hovering over her. She had an entire house to explore! And Faeren often took her out for walks through the forests. Everything was perfect.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:31 pm

Over a Decade into the Future

Jonah was leaned up against the wooden support pillar of their porch as he watched Faeren and Arabel walk down the road with their family dog tailing close behind. By now, Arabel was a young woman, and Faeren had wasted no time in molding her into a ranger. Arabel took to Faeren's lessons instantly, absorbing the information and skills that came to her naturally. Jonah smiled then shook his head. "Those two are exactly the same" he murmured to himself.

Faeren glanced at Arabel as they walked. Arabel was trotting along happily her golden hair speckled with brown streaks tied back neatly like her own. She couldn't help but smile. Arabel was a perfect blend of Jonah and Faeren's appearances.

"you have the map, right?" Faeren asked.

Arabel nodded in confirmation "Ahuh" she replied.

Faeren nodded back then considered "What do you think about the path I showed you?" she said.

Arabel considered thoughtfully as she trotted along beside her mother "It looks tough, and real long... How long do you think it will take?" she asked glancing to her mother

Faeren shrugged "That depends on what we find I guess, I'd bet... Maybe Two days, three at the most." Faeren replied after a glance to the sky in thought.

"And you think we'll find some deer?" Arabel asked with a smile

Faeren grinned back then nodded "Absolutely. I bet you're even strong enough to bring one down on your own, with my bow."

Arabel's jaw dropped. Her mothers bow? No way.

Faeren saw the reaction and just grinned.

As Arabel and Faeren disappeared into the distance Jonah turned to re-enter the house. He stretched his arms upwards let out a content sigh then spotted his son who was sparring the living room chair with a stick sword.

"The chair is acting up again Ceviran?" Jonah asked crossing his arms

The young boy instantly paused

"Well, sorta, it looked at me funny." Cev said turning slowly to face his father

Jonah squinted at him "Ahuh... Well, leave my chair alone." He said... Then commented a moment after "Though I did see some suspicious looking trees near the edge of our field. Maybe you should investigate?"

Ceviran grinned and took off at a run heading outside.

Jonah smiled to himself then sat down in his chair. He stretched his legs out to the small footstool in front of himself then put his hands behind his head in a leisurely fashion. After only a moment of relaxed calm Jonah heard a faint cry starting from upstairs. He smirked. Their third child and second son Gharen was evidently awake from his nap and likely had a soiled diaper. He tsksed, then got up to see to his son.

This was the Reihlin family. They lived happily in Cormyr, they had friends, and now, a growing family. Faeren could not have been more proud of her children and Johan shared in her admiration.

Jonah looked forward to growing old with Faeren. They had already lived a full life, and Jonah was beginning to wonder what it would be like to have grandchildren. He sighed and set those thoughts aside. Everything would come in due time. He was content, entirely, and happier then he could have imagined.

As Faeren neared the end of the road that would put their house out of sight, she turned for a moment to look back at their house... As she did, Arabel looked to Faeren and chewed her lower lip.

"Hey mom." She said meekly

"Hmm?" Faeren replied, turning her attention back to Arabel as she continued walking.

"I was... Looking through your stuff... You know, in the vault." Arabel began to say keeping her eyes on her own boots

Faeren's eyebrows furrowed as she looked at Arabel. "Yes?" She said with a hint of scolding "And?" She asked

Arabel shrugged sheepishly "Well, I was looking through your stuff- and I found a journal, a real intricate looking one, it had a hawk cut into it and it said "Green Hawk Warden's Journal."

Faeren's eyebrows raised as she glanced again at her daughter.

Arabel continued "I read some of the passages, but without all the context some of them didn't make sense... What's Cordor? The Green Hawks? Kent Delocke? The Chancellor of Cordor? " Arabel's questions spilled out one by one.

Faeren smirked and waited for Arabel to finish before she replied "I'll tell you about them, all of them. When you were just a baby you were in the middle of all that mess with your father and I. I think you'll remember some of it." she said

Arabel smiled. She looked forward to hearing the stories. And Faeren looked forward to telling them.

When one becomes a parent it changes their life. Faeren recognized the passing time, older and more mature she had made peace with her past and focused entirely on raising her children. She would pass the Ranger torch onto her daughter, Arabel, and continue Jonah's family name with their sons. And who knew? Perhaps they were set to have another child? Faeren was going to keep that one a secret for just awhile longer at least.

The Reihlin's would live on then, happily ever after? No, not always. But they would live, prepared to face all the ups and downs that came their way.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Arabel's green eyes stared at her mother's armor. It was intimidating, fierce, but in a noble heroic sort of way. The dark olive greens flowed easily into the silver chainmail and sturdy plate shoulder guards. Arabel knew this armor well, her mother wore it almost eternally while she was just a child.

As Arabel stared at the armor the nearby door gave a click and the handle was pushed. Arabel, startled, looked around for a place to hide. Before she could duck for cover, Faeren entered the vault, her arms crossed in a disapproving motherly manner though a thin smile lingered on her lips.

Arabel gave Faeren a dumb wave... It was the only thing she could think to do... Faeren smirked then stepped in closing the door behind her. She joined Arabel where she stood, and focused her gaze on the armor. Arabel watched her mother... Then slowly shifted her gaze to the armor with her.

"That cloth was woven with adamentium fibers. It's almost untearable, but still soft to the touch." Faeren commented "The chainmail is Mithril, light as feather, but strong enough to stop a blade." she said. "The helmet is Adamentium too, you could hit your head directly on a rock and not leave a mark though- er... I wouldn't recommend you try that." she chuckled then approached the armor.

Faeren began to take the armor off the armor stand piece by piece.

"What are you doing?" Arabel asked watching closely

Faeren shrugged passively then said "I think you're old enough to try it on"

Arabel's breath caught... Faeren glanced at her, and smiled "Come here." she said.

Arabel approached... "Turn around" Faeren said.

Arabel did so.

Faeren helped Arabel out of the simple clothing she wore and then fit the elegant olive green fabrics onto her in their place. Arabel's skin tingled with delight. She could feel the durability and strength of the fabric. It fit her alright, though it was a bit loose. She still had some growing to do after all. Despite this, Arabel found The fabric was soft like her mother said and it stretched easily, perfect for a ranger.

Next, Faeren began to equip the heavier chainmail armor and greaves. She fit them on piece by piece meshing the chainmail with that of the shirt. "It's important to make sure that all of the straps are secured tightly. And you need to replace the straps at least every two months... I haven't done that because I don't use it enough, so you will have to do that if you plan to use the armor. " Faeren said tightening the old worn down straps on Arabel's arms.

"The boots are leather meshed with chain, if you don't secure them tightly they'll be loose and slow you done a lot. Always, always, always fit your gear on correctly before you go out in it. You don't want to trip while trying to maneuver" Faeren explained while she continued to fit straps and tighten them into place.

Arabel watched wide eyed as her mother worked. Arabel, once dressed like a commoner was slowly transformed into a ranger, wearing a precious metal most could only dream of. Every inch of the armor felt comfortable, secure, and protective. She had nothing to say, but soaked in Faeren's words like a sponge.

"Now you see why I make you do push ups and run with me, hm?" Faeren asked with a bit of a tease in her voice. Arabel sometimes complained about her mother rigorous militaristic like workouts she'd make Arabel perform. " The armor isn't the heavy part, but when you have your gear? Arrows, knives, sword, shield and bow? It all weighs a lot. This armor doesn't do any good if you don't carry the right gear with it." Faeren said as she stood back then stepped over to the nearby chest to remove a belt.

Faeren fastened the belt around Arabel's waist.

Arabel said nothing, she had nothing to say. She simply marveled at what she was slowly being transformed into. Faeren then removed a pair of fingerless gloves and slid them onto Arabel's hands.

"The gloves are more important than you think. One time, in Cania, I was shooting arrows for hours. Trading arrows with Erinyes's is quite challenging. If I were using my bare hands the constant action would have ruined my hands." Faeren explained.

Arabel nodded slowly in recognition as Faeren went to retrieve the last piece. The quiver, not overly complicated, rather simple, in fact, but essential to the outfit. She slid the quiver over Arabel then filled it with the damask arrows Faeren herself favored.

"There." Faeren said stepping back to admire Arabel... She then stepped forward, and guided Arabel by the shoulders to stand in front of the mirror in the other corner of the room.

Arabel gasped as she saw herself. Faeren stood beside her and crossed her arms with a look of satisfaction.

Arabel stood just a few inches shorter then Faeren. The armor over all was just a tad big for her but not by much. Seeing herself in the armor filled Arabel with a sense of dignity, pride, and honor. Her head came back in a proud fashion as she held her chin high much like her mother had done so many times before. She set her jaw straight, and brushed a stray strand of her brown streaked blond hair from her eyes.

The entire look appealed to Arabel. She felt powerful in the armor, primal, alive. She could conquer any challenge, she was afraid of nothing. She flexed her hands in the gloves then glanced at her mother and offered a small smile. Faeren smiled back.

Jonah had a knack for good timing and it prevailed yet again as he sauntered down to the vault and opened the door. As he did he saw mother and daughter standing side by side. He almost miss took Arabel for Faeren, if Faeren had not been taller and older, and the color of their hair.

"What are you two doing?" Jonah asked with a smile as he closed the door behind him.

Both Arabel and Faeren turned. Arabel grinned at her father. Jonah gave her a small smile, then shifted his eyes to Faeren with a more serious look. Faeren returned Jonah's look with a nod of her head... Jonah sighed lightly at that, then looked to Arabel.

Jonah approached Arabel slowly. This was his first born, his daughter, she was older now, just entering her teenage years. Seeing her in Faeren's armor stirred up a plethora of emotions he had not felt in a long time. That armor was dangerous. It meant his little girl might be leaving in a few years to go out on her own. Face her own dangers and perils, and perhaps, maybe... Even walk in the foot steps of her mother on Arelith. Jonah sighed at that and as he neared, he placed both his hands on Arabel's shoulders and knelt so he could look at her in the eyes.

"Arabel... I still remember when you could only waddle around like a little duck. " Jonah said softly with a teasing smile. Arabel's cheeks went red with embarrassment. Jonah's smile turned into a grin "And now you're here... Wearing... This" He said then shook his head in disbelief. "You've grown up so fast." Jonah said in a whisper of disbelief. "Are you still my little duck?" he asked with a grin.

Arabel rolled her eyes, but felt her mother give her a nudge with her foot. "Yes, daddy, I am" Arabel said then smiled genuinely. Jonah grinned and kissed her forehead "Good, you'll always be my little duck" he said with a chuckle as he rose to his feet.

Arabel turned to look up at her parents, then glanced again back towards the mirror to admire herself.

Faeren let out a gentle sigh, then moved to grab the last part of the armor, the helmet and she snagged a canister of paint from the chest and came back to Arabel.

Jonah smiled to Faeren then placed his hands on Arabel's shoulders and spoke " Your mother has the final pieces of the armor. I know what she has been teaching you. The mental state of a ranger is as much a weapon as their body is. Arabel Reihlin are you prepared to be a ranger?"

Arabel nodded meekly

Jonah gripped Arabel's shoulders firmer and gave her a gentle shake "No no no... Arabel Reihlin are YOU prepared to be a ranger!" he said with conviction! his voice bellowing off the walls

"Yes!" Arabel replied with an enthusiastic shout!

Faeren grinned at that, then stepped over. She dipped her thumb in the paint and smeared it under Arabel's eyes in long rigid pattern. Then she slid the helmet on completing the set of armor.

Finished with the armor Faeren knelt down and held Arabel by the back of her helmed head and pressed her face against the mask of the helmet so she could stare into the eye holes into Arabel's eyes. She muttered to her

"Well little duck, how do you feel?" Faeren asked

Arabel grinned behind the helmet then hugged her mother... Jonah let out a laugh then knelt to hug them both.