On the Eve of Battle

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

On the Eve of Battle

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:45 pm

So this is how it feels.

I came from nothing. I came from the dirt beneath their feet, and as Lolth commands, I am to become stronger. To be more. But looking around at all the other drow, even the nobles, each could have been cut from the exact same roll of cloth. None distinguishable from another. Our people are dead already. Shadows. Pale imitations of what they are supposed to be. Actual shadows had more personality than the streets of Menzoberranzan.

Now I stand at the top looking down. And I know that I was right. Save for a few. Spectacular successes and spectacular failures, in a city where one must be spectacular just to survive. There are so few drow in Andunor that there is no room for mediocrity.

I never wanted to be like them. It was just a mask I wore, and I can't take it off. I cannot be just another cotton cut drow. I need to be Alyara. And only one drow knows truly who that is. The only drow ever skilled enough to pierce the masks I wore.

Hunter. I know you can read this. I know you watch. I know I've let you down but right now, you are needed. I know how often I say or write those words. But I cannot do this any more. I've one more thing I wish to see done. If I make it, I'm coming for you.

I need someone to hunt with me again. Are you that person?

[From the writings of Alyara Xal'rae]