Visions of Andunor past

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Red Sunset

Visions of Andunor past

Post by Red Sunset » Tue May 16, 2017 4:00 pm

"Ironguard be supplying you and Guldorand like we agreed, but we ain't doing nothing more" Jharrik said. Even on the tiny mirror, Vasiira saw the thane's normal scowl.

The old thane Jharrik Ironguard flanked by some blunt nose duergar sat across a table from the priestess Achuak'iejir Stormwind and one of her kobold followers. Vasiira could even make out a fire in the background.

Stormwind didn't seem to like that answer. She clicked her long nails on her staff with one of her measured sighs.

Delusional Human, Vasiira's mouth twisted in disgust at the long nails. The thing thought it was part dragon. Achuak'iejir even meant green blood in old draconic. She was sure the creature had some fantasy those nails were claws.

"But think of what you could accomplish if you helped us against Brog with more than supplies" Stormwind said.

The vision on the mirror faded as the scrying spell ended. Vasiira flicked the handle of the mirror making it spin on the table top. She was a bit frustrated the spell ended right there.

She stared up at the ceiling in Sorcere, her mind momentarily wandering to how the Matron Mothers must have spent all the coin on the temple and just managed to make a closet for Sorcere. A few minutes passed and a sudden dry chuckle escaped. She smiled as an idea came to mind.

It was not too hard to find the blunt nosed duergar. Vasiira didn't even have to work at it. By happenstance she noticed him in the Hub.

"You. Duergar. You're one of Jharrik's yes?" She leaned her staff against a shoulder just in case her hands might be needed.

The duergar's back stiffend immediately. "That I am. What do you want, drow?"

Oh how it makes effort to indicate it won't bow, The thought caused Vasiira to smile briefly. It was always so amusing to see, especially when she didn't even care. She always pretended like she didn't notice. The gesture was pointless; it didn't even matter unless a creature made a point of verbally pointing it out. Then, well, there was a reputation at stake.

"I hear you were at the meeting with Jharrik and Stormwind the other day, mmm? I find myself curious what was said. So curious in fact I am willing to give you fifty thousand gold coins to tell me."

The duergar looked offended "Ironguard doesn't break deals." It scowled like it was expecting Vasiira to push the matter.

"Eeegh" Vasiira sighed. "Not unexpected, but I suppose I can always offer that kobold the same coin. I just rather deal with duergar than those Tiamatian idiots."

The blunt nosed duergar just stared at her.

"Well I'm easy enough to find if you change you mind."

The duergar grunted as she turned to leave. Vasiira stopped a moment near the door as she heard some others near making loud acclamations at how stupid it was to publically attempt to bribe someone.

Her mouth twisted in annoyance as her red eyes settled on the drow duo. She didn't even realize how long she was glaring until some goblin entering the Hub slowly sidled past her.

"Mmmph" She left with a dissatisfied noise. It annoyed her that those drow thought she was an idiot. No, it was more than annoy. Idiots who thought -she- was the idiot infuriorated her. Right now she needed them to gossip about her bribery attempt though. They were oblivious they were being used. That at least brought a momentary smile.

Finding the kobold, Crinukh, was much easier. As one of Sabal's friends, the kobold was constantly around.

"Sssk. This one was at the meeting, yes" Was all Crinukh said when she offered him the coin. She had to admire the way he avoided saying "no".

By delaying an answer, he was either trying to see what else she might divulge or perhaps just avoiding angering her with a "no". Either way clever. She'd let him think she took it as a polite "no."

"Ah. I was sure you'd say, no; but, I only thought it was fair that I offer you the same deal I gave that duergar that was present." Vasiira paused to click her tongue. "Tch." "I really thought he would at least try to bargain for more than fifty thousand, but for that much he readily coughed up that Jharrik was supplying Stormwind and Guldorand, and there was discussion about further aid against Brog. He must have needed coin bad."

Vasiira gave a dry chuckle at the last bit. "If that's all true you may as well just confirm it and get fifty thousand too."

"Sssk, never trust duergar." Was all the kobold said.

Vasiira gave a regretful sigh "Eh, well, if you change your mind about wanting the coin just let me know. I hate to leave such a pleasurable conversationalist, but I have things I must see to."
She turned to leave then stopped to look back. "Farewell."

She really didn't have anything to see to, but giving the impression that she was going to go and blab everything to Matron Mother Talyrrae was important. She was not planning to, though. Perhaps she could gain some favor by blabbing, but considering the small lie involved it was best to have as few involved as possible, especially those not emotionally involved in the
matter. And telling Talyrrae the truth, meant she would have to admit she could scry and it was far more useful if no one knew that.

Vasiira walked away with a smile letting her mind wander about just what Jharrik's legendary temper would drive him to do. Perhaps he would murder his own kin in a fit of rage. She hoped so.

This happened some time ago, so my memory may be faulty. If one of the involved feels I didn't accurately capture it and wants something changed, please, let me know. Thanks :)

Red Sunset

Re: Visions of Andunor past

Post by Red Sunset » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:05 am

"And what are your areas of interest, apprentice?" Vasiira took a seat in the large stone chair at the head of the table, scowling in response to the male's smile.

The apprentice's pride and confidence were evident: the hint of a smug smile, the way he stood, the way his eyes never left her.

"Evocation. Some necromancy" He said.

Vasiira sucked in a breathe between her teeth as she overturned a hand at a chair alongside the long meeting table.

"Sit." She said.

So many came here with the same interests, with the same ideas that somehow their chosen studies would make them powerful, that the knowledge of magic would make them powerful.

They reveled in the idea of how feared they would be, and how important and respected that fear would make them. It irritated her. They didn't really care for the Art. Her mouth twisted in disgust as she paused a moment red eyes settling on the male.

The male's smile never seemed to waver.

"Do not make the mistake like so many others that your chosen studies will somehow make you powerful. They wont." She continued, "If you study the Art solely because you want to be feared and powerful it is very likely you will not find what you look for."

"I don't study it solely for that reason." The male's smile wavered.

Vasiira smiled at what she thought was annoyance in his voice.

"Perhaps I misread you, but so many come here thinking that the ability to destroy will alone make them mighty."

She leaned back in the great stone chair.

"There once was many years ago now an acolyte who treated me like dirt even though I had position in Sorcere. She was an idiot." Vasiira's mouth twisted at the memory.

"I could have destroyed her with a single spell, but while that would have been impressive it would have done me little good. The temple would have been very unforgiving of such an attack."

"Heh heh heh" She gave a dry chuckle and smiled, a sadistic smile. "Instead I learned the priestess had a lover. A most unbefitting type of love. Anathema even."

The apprentice looked bored, looking off away from her. A typical reaction and one that did not inspire her to believe there was hope this one would be a worthy student.

She continued anyway, "I convinced one of the temple priestesses to have this acolyte publicly whip her lover to prove the love was nothing but a dirty rumour, then I went to the male in question and told him as his trusted friend what was about to happen."

"This particular male" She went on. "had a habit of being...rash and unpredictable-just the sort you would want to gamble on. Rather than run away as I suggested and offered to aid with he lost it, attacked and killed his lover and another priestess and ran off."

"They never did catch him." Another dry chuckle sounded in her throat.

A few moments passed in silence as she observed the male. When he finally looked over at her she frowned. The look in his eyes seemed to say he thought she was a fool.

"Magic is a tool, and sometimes not the needed tool. Study evocation if you like. It is as interesting and has its uses like any other school, but do -not- rely on it or magic alone, or you will not survive here."

"I already know this." He said.

"Then go," She lifted a hand towards the door. "Figure out how to open the doors to the courtyard of the Obsidian Asylum. If you can accomplish this I will teach you otherwise you are not worth my time."

As the apprentice left Vasiira propped en elbow on the arm of the chair and rested a cheek on her fist. She very much so wanted to train a worthy apprentice, even if that apprentice might contend with her someday.

One of the priestess had remarked it was Lloth's will to train apprentices to contend, that it would make her, Vasiira, stronger. She didn't believe that, and she certainly did not want to do something that might ultimately lead to her own death.

I just want someone I can actually talk to, She thought.

A few things. I've been meaning to get this one finished for awhile, but I couldn't remember the priestesses' names. Someone gave me the idea of having Vasiira tell the story to another so the names wouldn't be needed. But, while she told this story to a number of others I couldn't quite remember the details of each exchange. Also, while she met many apprentices very similar to the one in the story, and while she often had little respect for those who studied evocation, and sent apprentices to figure out how to open the doors to the Aslyum, this particular event is just fabricated based on all that. The story about the priestesses lover however did happen, as did the conversation about training apprentices just for the sole reason of having someone to contend with. And while Vasiira only intended to ruin the acolyte's life or get her killed she was very happy with the two for one deal.