The Croft Chronicle

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Draeiscuil

The Croft Chronicle

Post by Draeiscuil » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:06 am

Trystel Vera Croft.

An Amnian friend of mine said that a name tells you all you need to know about a person. I don't know how all that works. I can pretend to know what I'm talking about all day, but when push comes to shove, I'm no mage. All that fortune telling and divination junk... but it's a neat thought. "What does my name say about me?" I'd asked him. He told me it wasn't that easy.

Of course it wasn't. It never would be. Magic is never easy. "Fine," I thought to myself, "I'll humor him. He's cute."

He started telling me what each name meant, saying they revealed me to be outgoing, fearless, having blood of royalty... bleh. Whatever. He rambled for a while, and I lost track of time. He had a nice little gypsy wagon. Lots of decorations. You know, the massive curtains that have no business fitting in there, the runes everywhere that are supposed to be immensely powerful, standard glass ball on the table, pillows that don't match except for the fact that they each look hideous compared to everything else... you get the picture. At least the pillows were comfy.

Then he said something that caught my attention. "It also means you're a great lover."

What?! How do you get that I'm a great lover from my name?! I mean, not that I was going to deny it, but how could he have known? At that point in time, I had never given that much of myself. I had reserved myself like a good girl should. Honestly. I hadn't given it thought, much less action!

To this day, I'm not sure if he was a horrible fortune teller and I felt pity, or if he was a genius who knew exactly how to pick apart my vulnerability, but that night? Well. Let's just say we explored more than the meaning of my name.

I ended up falling in love with that poor guy. Haunted him for months. The exploring never stopped. Rainy day outside? Let's explore. Few minutes between clients? Let's explore. Oh, dinner time? More like expedition time. I was addicted to him, and I found myself unable to leave his side for any longer than a deep, content breath.

But, as all good things must and as all great lessons are taught, my "love" was ended with a harsh realization. It was all fake. It was a game to him, keeping me around as his personal plaything and willing servant while he lived a two-faced dream. Little did I know he had another lover, until I met her one day in his wagon. Until I met them, this blonde girl about my age and the secret side of him I had never known before.

What's worse, she was surprised too. She thought I was some stranger walking in, as if I had no reason to be there at all! I wanted to strangle her, and she wanted to kick me back out the door for being so nosey. As our mutual acquaintance sat in shock, though, we each got that wild look in our eyes, realizing the deception we'd fallen prey to. I don't have to describe it, because you already know the look I'm talking about. It's the kind of look that provokes the deepest layers of fear in a person's soul, and to my everlasting delight, neither of us directed that look at the other.

In the heat of the moment, I remember being angry at him and hurt by his lies, angry at her yet empathetic that she felt as I did, and angry at myself for being so naive. I swear we shared a brain in those seconds, because our scrutinous gazes were upon him, a double dose of a silent "you have no idea how doomed you are" message.

Two things happened that day. One, I found the best friend I've ever had in the girl that was instrumental in breaking my heart, and two? There aren't enough curses in the world to describe that Amnian fortune teller, but suffice it to say he was never heard from again...

Alas, the purpose in writing this may not be what you think. I'm not bashful in disclosing details of my love life, and I'm not shy about sharing my past, but what I truly wanted to do today was reach out. So, now that I have your attention, I'm going to ask a favor. If you know a guy who knows a guy who knows my friend, invite them to Arelith, please. She's disappeared in Cormyr, but we had a pact that I intend to honor, and so I am reaching out in the hopes that she'll catch wind of my call and come to the isle and join us all in facing the perils, politics, and occasional drinks that we enjoy in Arelith.

((OOC Note: I may post a shorter version of this on the board in Cordor. It is meant to be a public note that anyone can read IC. I intentionally left the names and descriptions of the blonde girl and the Amnian gypsy vague because I thought it might be neat for one of you to take on one of those roles with a new character, if you want! I don't have any stipulations, as long as it's reasonable. This is simply a small piece of Trystel's backstory that can also serve as a piece of someone else's backstory, should they choose for it to. Pm me or send a tell IG if you're interested! Otherwise, hope you enjoyed this little snippet, and have a nice day!))
"It's ALL a matter of perspective..." -Desh