The Boy and His Shadow

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: The Boy and His Shadow

Post by Emotionaloverload » Fri May 24, 2019 5:25 pm

[Trap!]

Rupert turned the wine glass on the table as he went on and on about the guard's behaviour. They refused to put up a warning. Even a diplomatic one. They refused to announce their investigation. They were scared stiff of the Palace.

Emily smiled faintly. “How would you like to handle it? You could be my Minister of Diplomacy.”

“Uh, alright.”

The familiar muttered hastily to him. “You idiot. Its a trap. She is pawing this off on you so she doesn't have to do it! How dumb can you be?!”

“I'll file the paperwork then.” She said as she rose from the table. Rupert rose promptly.

“Sure. Yeah. I'll sort it out.” He nodded at her as she left.

“You are an idiot. You didn't even ask about the salary. This is going to be a mountain of trouble.” The voice muttered.

“I'm pretty sure you don't get paid to work for the city otherwise they wouldn't call it civil 'servant'.” Roo shot back.

The voice sighed lowly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rupert sat before the statue of Titania doing his Ministry paperwork. The papers were littered all around him. Two days straight. Barely any sleep. Dozens of meetings.

It was as done as he could get it.
My Discord Emotionaloverload#7537
Rupert: Man, your boyfriend is worse than my boyfriend.
Nel: Yeah, well your girlfriend is worse than my boyfriend!
Rupert: Yeah...fair enough.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed May 29, 2019 4:18 am

[#1 Dad]

Little Rupert practically hung from Giogi's arm, eyeing the other children. The kids ran around playing various games and generally having a roaring good time. A few adults, in charge of the game day, hovered nearby to monitor the crowd while the parents all sat in the nearby gardens enjoying food, drink, and most importantly, the company of other adults.

Giogi laid a gentle hand atop Rupert's head. “Go ahead. It'll be fun. I promise you'll do fine.” He smiled with encouragement.

Little Rupert drew in a big, serious breath before charging into the fray.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Young Rupert stood in the line of dancers backstage as they all waited their turn at the audition. His partner was in the wings, fusing over the last minute errors of her dress with a tailor. A sudden but kind hand clasped on Rupert's shoulder.

It was Giogi; he smiled at the boy. “Break a leg out there. I know you're going to kill it.” He said in a hurried whisper. He gave the shoulder a gentle squeeze as he smiled.

Rupert smiled brightly. The nervous energy in him relaxing a little. The dancers were ushered along, further up the line.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The youth was knocked back a distance, meeting the dirt floor with a sudden thud causing Giogi to rise from his seat.

“Dust yourself off, Silveroak~” the instructor barked at him. Rupert rose, leaving the arena with some effort. Giogi came around to meet him.

“Are you alright?” He muttered softly so not to disturb the other students. Giogi instinctively dusted Rupert off a little.

“Yeah, he is just way faster than me.” The boy muttered. His size seemed to always teeter between a gift and a hindrance in a fight.

Giogi offered a small, loving smile. “Well, you're stronger than him. I know you really love to train. Don't let this stop you.”

He hugged the boy briefly, as discreetly as possible.

Rupert stood surrounded by, what was surely, all of Bendir and their friends. He eyed Miranda. When was it okay to cut in? Could you cut in? Would it be insolence to just stop her? Why doesn't she call on him?

He shifted his weight, struggling to contain his energy. Was it going badly? Was it going better than expected?

Giogi lifted his shoulder to tap against the boy's vaguely. Rupert glanced at Giogi. Giogi smiled. He smiled that encouraging smile.

Miranda nodded toward Rupert.

He stepped up.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Fri May 31, 2019 3:34 pm

[Irony]

Rupert punched the dummy mercilessly. It helped with the urges. The /need/. Not a lot but, coupled with city work, it kept his mind off it. For the most part, anyway. With each punch he tried to dispel the screaming Wizard from his mind. The thought of the Wizard's panicked sweat causing his curls to cling to his forehead. The fear in his eyes.

It was breathtaking.

The more he battled against the /need/, the more hollow he felt. He felt hungry; starving. Everything tasted like ash on his tongue. All the wine was bitter. All the laughter was grating. All the flirtations were offensive.

And yet, in spite of all his good behaviour. In spite of all his efforts, he was in more trouble with guards than he had ever been when he was being 'bad'. This just proved his point; good was dumb.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:09 pm

[Shadows Standing in the Light]

Rupert eased back into the couch, setting his attention on the Elven Commander. His skin was growing hot from hunger. The shadows that danced along the Commander's face caught his gaze. How rare it was to see one not basking in light.

This was going to be a problem.

The boy finally left with the Ranger. “Are you happy with how it went down?”

“No. No, I'm not.” The Ranger puffed the words at Rupert. Well, at least people didn't need eyes like his to see the same thing he saw, he thought. Sort of, anyway.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rupert's mind raced in the tank. He went over the various meetings he had had and those that he still needed to have.

A heavy knock on the tinted glass caught his attention. It was Jenkins. Time was up. It must be morning already.