Garrett Kelson - journal and short stories

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Party in the forest at midnight

Re: Garrett Kelson - journal and short stories

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:03 am

Friendship.
A power, a beacon of all of the lights in his life.
An inner calm brought forth through dreams.
The hounds rushed, but his blades transformed, and with them came new visions.
Visions of the past. Past friends, mentors. Conversations long since forgotten.
He heard their voices, he felt their presence, his blades became a shining sword and shield.
It ceased to become a vision, and entered dreamspace.
He stood fighting, their power transfused into him. Fighting for hopes and dreams in a world of ruin.
Eventually the hounds overcame him, but there was a sense of peace within, that he was not alone.

For the first time in over a month he awoke feeling rested. Perhaps death would come, but for now, he felt ready to face the world.
First, though, he opened his notebook to the first pages he wrote, and began to re-read what he had written. To remember the faces he had long since forgotten, and their words to him.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:45 am

A wandering soul. Found, not lost.

He was surprised at the invitation to join the House of the Triad, although the nature of his work demanded he decline. Much as he had declined Astra's offer to officially rejoin the Arcane Tower. His mind filled with thoughts and reflection as he walked through Cordor.

"For the sake of my writing, I strive to be neutral. As much as possible, so I may travel and capture the tales of all peoples upon the isles. I need to avoid taking a stance on things, I need to hide my beliefs. It pains me, some of the things I see, some of the things I hear. But I cannot say anything, I must be silent and complacent to it.
With my pen, I will write truths. Truths nobody else will record, truths that would be forgotten in time if I did not do this. Tales only afforded to me through pure neutrality and a lack of judgement. This is my sacrifice, the sacrifice of self. The burden of the lie I live,
the fight against my own nature.

I am the horizon. Dawn and dusk are meaningless quantifiers for something which is the same. I stand between them, on a thin line, to observe the passing of time for what it is. The sun will rise and so shall the moon. Clouds will pass overhead and obscure the sky, rain shall pour, lightning shall strike, snow shall fall. Yet always, the sky and horizon will always be there.
The horizon is a place that can never be reached, a boundless journey that can never be fulfilled. I walk endlessly to that horizon, writing all that I encounter along the way. Through discipline and wit, knowledge will prevail."

He was grateful for those around him that would help him on his path.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:15 pm

Journey.
The long walk along a horizon, the line that separates day and night.
The symbol of his path that began many years ago.

Garrett made his way to the apex of the Arcane Tower, to the altar of Azuth.

"I regularly give thanks for my spells, for the work of those who came before me in their research, and for self-control and reason in my magic usage.
Today, I pray for inner strength to maintain my discipline.
I finally pushed myself far enough to learn something I cannot unlearn. I pray for the discipline to act with a rational mind, unmarred by the impulsive nature of emotion. "

On these thoughts he closed his eyes and meditated, much as he did when he first took Azuth as a patron deity some years back. Although his primary focus had changed, in this moment, he needed the clarity and focus.

Every single lesson he had received, every single spell he practiced, every single mantra he had taken into himself. A cumulation of his life to this point. His mind reflected on thoughts that developed over the years.

His original resolution, that life must be examined with logic, not sentiment. The path that would feel the best was not necessarily the best choice. Much as fire burns, it would leave smoldering bridges in its wake. And as ever, it held true. Except now, instead of smoldering bridges would be a searing wake of war and corpses of innocents.

He never wanted to ask himself how he ended up at this point in his life. His decisions must be conscious, he must be aware of each action as a step along a path. The destination is not an accident. And on that path, he wanted to believe there is a white step and a black step, and that he had the clarity to see the actions for what they are. He wanted to believe in a greater good, and that he could contribute to it. He wanted to believe everything would work out for the better. And most of all, he wanted to believe he could make the world a better place through recording its history. He felt this was attainable, he had made progress doing so. A delicate balance of day and night, the shadow of goodness within himself that he refused to give up.

His existence became a duality and a paradox, he had come to accept this. This was his life now, surrounded by mystery and embracing experiences he would have never dreamed he would encounter. And embracing the answer to that moment a year ago. The meaning within himself at that point in time contrasting to himself now.
Every action had to be calculated with precision, there was no room to act out of impulse and risk taking each moment as they came.
Friendship is a thing that can exist, however he found himself being too free in who he gave it out to. He was too open, not strict enough with himself.
The abstract sense at the back of his mind was given form, and at long last was confronted.
Hardness of resolve, strength of will, presence of mind.
Knowledge, discipline, and wit.
Three aspects, each capable of being good or evil, it was his choice that determined where his foot fell.

He felt a sense of wholeness, as every moment came together to this point.
He no longer held regret over lost dreams. Long had he told himself dreams weren't waiting for, reality is what he made of it. And now, he felt it within himself. He felt closer to his mentor's words than ever. He watched first hand, the contrast between glory-chasing versus the recognition of one's true place in history. Leaders understand their role in the world, and Garrett understood his. Few seemed to understand their own role, and exposed themselves to weakness in their pride and greed.

A final question rested in his mind, a point to meditate on,
"The world is what I make of it. But what kind of world will I make?"

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Strength and help came from those around him.
No longer did he feel like crying out into the night-- The pain of the past left him.
Garrett stared out his window at the sunlit land outside, the quiet cobbles and glimmering sea standing silent as dawn illuminated the sky.
Reflectively, he sipped from a cup of coffee, an newfound calm within.
The reality that was his to partake, new dreams given form.
This was real.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Garrett laid sprawled out on a couch in his apartment, a stack of fundamentals of magic books on the floor nearby. Advanced Transmutation open in his hand, yet neglected as he stared out the window towards Cordor, distracted by his thoughts.

A giant heap of information placed into his lap. He transcribed it, just as he said he would, but it weighed on his mind-- What effect would releasing it have? Once out, there would be no taking it back. It was dangerous information that would actually harm people. Potentially people beyond the ones the donor intended.
"That's the thing with information. Once in the wild, it's hard to say what will happen with it." He thought to himself.

He would have to run the book past others. A certain wizard came to mind.

He laid his head back, taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly. Many questions certainly were answered.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:04 am

Garrett reclined on the couch within his apartment, sprawled out with a book in his hand, A Primer on Divination. He debated on if he wanted to relearn the school or not, especially given the brush he had with deeper visions. Respite from the school was relaxing in its own way, his surroundings were significantly less colourful and easier to look at. And yet, no longer seeing those colours left the world feeling emptier somehow. The day's training and reading left his mind ready to take in more. He closed his eyes and breathed at a slow and steady pace, entering a meditative state to focus on his mind's eye.

Prophecy.
That which was foreseen, that which exists.

With the movement of serpents,
The delicate balance had been lost.
The Mirror began to shimmer, reflecting truth.
The Prophecy of Ouroboros came to pass.
And with it, the field changed.

THE PROPHECY OF THE SERPENT OF DESPAIR
Lairing within a cage of weapons,
mantle forsaken, and with it all hopes of life.
Chained to anguish,
it hungers to lash at all who near,
removing itself from the world of action in hopes to find peace.
OVERTAKEN BY ITS DUALITY,
ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF THE CIRCLE IT SITS,
PAINED BY WHAT IT SEES OUTSIDE ITS CAGE.
THERE IS NO FUTURE TO BE FORETOLD,
FOR THE SERPENT HAS NO FUTURE.

THE PROPHECY OF THE SERPENT OF PREVARICATION
Lairing within a grove of deception,
maintaining an orchard of lies.
It feeds all who approach, just as it feeds itself.
Promising chaos, embodying only tumult.
Embodying order, promising brutality.
Chained to its grove, it claws endlessly to escape,
flames claiming the woods.
OVERCOME BY ITSELF,
ENDLESSLY FIGHTING BACK THE FLAMES.
BLIND TO THE EYES OF INFERNO,
EVER HUNGERING FOR MORE.

THE PROPHECY OF THE SERPENT OF INFERNO
Lairing within a circle of sixteen fires,
each flame casting a different light.
Endlessly struggling to feed the flames,
burning all who dare near the blaze.
Mirror eyes reflecting upon itself,
a phoenix of destruction and rebirth.
AND SO IT HAS BEEN SEEN,
THE FLAME SHALL BURN, AND WITH IT SHALL BURN EVERYTHING.
GOOD AND EVIL HOLD NO WEIGHT, THE FIRE CONSUMING ALL.
AND YET, THE BRIGHTEST LIGHT BESTOWS A FAINT SHADOW.

THE PROPHECY OF THE SERPENT OF THREE WEAPONS
Lairing upon a narrow cliff,
Its weapons closely guarded, held reluctantly.
Cautious and calculating, seeming almost unmoving.
Yet tasting the orchard's fruits it drew its blade without hesitation.
The duality of cold hatred quelled by the fire of zeal for itself.
Revealing its true self, its capacity for evil,
held back only by tempered will of its nature.
ESCAPING ITS PERCH AND STEALING A TORCH,
THERE IS A FUTURE OF SHADOWS CAST FROM LIGHT.
THERE IS A FUTURE OF IMMOLATION.
IF THE FLAME CANNOT CREATE IT SHALL DESTROY.

The Fifth Serpent had been uncovered. A trace of an outline, still unseen. The Serpent of Mirage, cast forth only by light revealing its presence.
AND SO I HAVE SEEN IT, NOW DO I KNOW.
THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A BALANCE.
JUST AS THERE IS A RIGHT AND LEFT HAND,
SO TOO SHALL THERE BE AN ILLUSION OF DAY AND NIGHT.
SEERS GREATER THAN I HAVE SEEN THE MIRAGE,
MAY THE SHADOW OF SUN-AND-STARS ESCAPE THIS FATE.

Time passed, the day shifting to night as he meditated. He opened his eyes and looked around his room, at the trails of fire, water, and air from the souls he let into his life.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Garrett sat at his desk, papers strewn about and a book open to an empty page, yet quill still in his hands as his mind ruminated.

Life was strange. He came to accept long ago that it would be, but, somehow things kept on getting stranger. At some level he wondered if his choices were becoming increasingly incompatible with living a long life, but, he wasn't certain if he cared either.

The ever-present conflict weighed on his mind. The never ending struggle, the constant war. And yet, were there any goodly people fighting? Or were they all their own independent tribes, each behaving exactly the same as one another, just with different language to justify it? It bothered him, his increasing apathy towards violence. He felt he shouldn't be apathetic. And yet, if unscrupulous people do things to other unscrupulous people, did it matter? These were all acts of war. His remorse was saved for innocents, the few who do not engage the island's intrigues, who sought to exist peacefully. And his remorse was saved for those who suffered unjustly.

He leaned back in the chair, abandoning the quill onto the table, his mind reflecting further.

"This is what happens when the ends justify the means. Not that I'm any better. I try and be aware of where my foot falls, although, maybe that just makes it worse. I have no place to claim moral superiority. But, maybe moral superiority isn't what we should aim for to begin with. My fight is focused on specific concepts. Specific targets. Specific goals. If I judge another, it's because they've violated my personal tenets. It's a strange path, but, I've made some progress, I've averted war and kept innocents safe. My hand invisible and a mark in history never made, a sign that I've succeeded at something. I can't rest on those laurels though, succeeding at one thing isn't good enough. Violence and bloodshed are inevitable facts of war, I'm seeing it more and more. But as always, I'll watch and wait for an opportunity to act.

Tub, I was surprised to see you still alive. I keep wondering if we'll meet again, and what I'd even say during that meeting. You suffered more than I did, you know what it's like. Most of the trouble I get into I could probably talk my way out of, but our goal? We're dead men walking. It's by wit alone that we live and die. I hope to work with you again, although I doubt you'd ever walk with me. There is hope. I wish I could tell you that, but, those are dangerous words to say."