Letters to the dead.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Gods_Kill_People

Letters to the dead.

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:54 am

Vendui, Matron Mother Shyntlara Auvryndar, It has been a long time since we spoke last. Everything happened so fast that cycle I don't know what to make of it, Lolths silence, the riot of the slaves, the fires that began destroying the webs holding the houses, the destruction of our city.

I have survived, though I know you did not. You were in the house when it fell. Likely sitting on your throne as you normally would at that time of the cycle. Seeing to the others that grated on your nerves with their prattling and whining. Yet you would sit and hear them anyways if just to silence them for another tenday.

I was in the market district, closest to the western gate when everything went down, I barely managed to avoid being hit by the falling debris as it fell from the heights. I dove into the corridor and looked back to see everything I had ever known gone in a blaze. Why did Lolth abandon us? You told me that you had stopped hearing her in your prayers, she had stopped some time ago, but you didn't know why. Only that she had gone silent suddenly.

I have survived though, I travelled for months in the lowerdark, lost and confused. Hunting for any signs of other life or other cities, avoiding Menzoberranzan as they would likely have killed me. As the months passed without end, I began to find my skills in magic were improving. Though I wasn't sure how far. I felt a pull drawing me, calling me if you would towards something. A city.

Anundor reminds me a lot of Ched Nasad, yet it is also extremely different. These things called "humans" walk around here like they own the place, they apparently come from the surface. I had never seen one before arriving in these lands, but you already knew that. Some seem half decent, others seem to think that they can say and do anything they want. I recently even took the head of one who thought they could trespass in our lands.

Upon my arrival I sought out protection and guidance, since a rogue drow is hardly safe in a city of drow. As much as I hated giving up the family name, it holds no meaning or power here. I first managed to find a mentor for my magic in Vaeluzir, a powerful mage that was also the former Archmage of Sorcere, he stepped down to let another lead. Then I was invited into House Xal'rae. A very prominent House, the second of the city as a matter of fact. I was adopted in instantly, but within a few months, Matron Azaria Xal'rae and her Patron named Dantrag left the city to go back to their Matron leaving me right back where I started, except this time, I wasn't new to the city and had even earned some reputation among the females of the city.

I quickly made a point to seek out Lua'vyll Zau'myr, the Matron of the first house and bowed before her offering my services to her House. I was approved and after many cycles and the offering of the head of the surfacer I wound up killing, I was adopted as a son into her house. I am slowly gaining the favor of the other sons and daughters of the house, but it is a cautious step, Vithrel, the house Weapons Master has not quite been fond of me after showing him some heads I found of Xal'rae members, never knew he was a Xal'rae. While that seems to finally be behind us, I am still staying on guard. Zah is one of the daughters and seems friendly enough, though I don't see much of her and she really doesn't seem to want much to do with me. The Matron Lua'vyll Zau'myr seems to favor my skills and my efforts to serve the house. This is always a good thing of course. Viktor Zau'myr, he is my brother now as much as my rival, he is the Archmage of the House, and the Archmage of Sorcere. I am nowhere near his ability, but caution is still needed. If he feels me a threat to him, he may seek my end.

I have progressed far in my arts, I am a decent enchanter now and am working on my own gear, while also getting better in Necromancy. I fear though I need to tread carefully, Shadow mages seem to be unheard of here, and I don't know how well they would take to such. I cannot afford one slip or I will find myself alone, and likely dead as well.

Lolth Tulu Mala, Matron Mother Shyntlara Auvryndar.

Gods_Kill_People

Re: Letters to the dead.

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:06 am

Vendui, Matron Mother Shyntlara Auvryndar.

What the point of these letters are, I honestly do not know, its not as if you will ever read them but perhaps it is my way of trying to cope with the loss of everything I have ever known. Things have been eventful since I last wrote, I am now claimed by a female of the house and she wishes her own child. I have made great impressions with the house members and even many of the other houses. I am becoming an accomplished enchanter so much so that many seek me out for my talent.

My Alchemy has taken off too, I am quite impressed with some of my work and the amount of gems I have been hoarding. They are never enough though. Even as I write I have a Catalyst being formed for another client. I own a house as big as our old one, and my own shop. You would be proud I think. I often sit and wonder what may have happened had I joined our Menzoberranzan house. Would I have been accepted? Or cast out and sacrificed? I am not sure. I don't even know if anyone of the house other then me survived, though I am not holding my breath. The Catalyst is near done so I must wrap this up early to get back to it.

Lolth Tulu Mala, Matron Mother Shyntlara Auvryndar.