So Arion performed for Ievos this one time...

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

So Arion performed for Ievos this one time...

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 pm

And I was inspired to try to make a recording of it.

However, I do not have a recording studio, my nerves are showing in the recording, and Symphony has the patience of a saint.
I am aware my microphone is clipping.

The timing is also the result of about ten takes, and by this point I'd had quite enough. You get the idea.

If people are desperate for the lyrics, I can make it happen.

So here's an MP3 on my Google Drive.

Wordless Truth

Re: So Arion performed for Ievos this one time...

Post by Wordless Truth » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:55 am

Major kudos for making and posting this! :)

You can hear that you've got good control, pitch-wise, that's definitely positive. Also a very good overall range, though you seem to do much better in the higher range, you really shine with a bit of pressing.

I think the quality of recording is a shame, because I can't quite tell how much capacity your voice has, some parts suggest it's solid, but in this recording, overall everything sounds pretty shallow for the most part.

As an instrumentalist my biggest complaint is the midi line. Forgetting about recording quality of the vocals, I'm 100% sure that if you want to do something like this again, you'll find people who can do what you have here on the guitar or piano easily!

I'm always very happy to hear people's musical endeavours, so if you ever feel inspired again, please share :)

flower

Post by flower » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:59 am

The good voice certainly saves it from it, no worries! :)

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:57 pm

Wordless Truth wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:55 am
Major kudos for making and posting this! :)

You can hear that you've got good control, pitch-wise, that's definitely positive. Also a very good overall range, though you seem to do much better in the higher range, you really shine with a bit of pressing.

I think the quality of recording is a shame, because I can't quite tell how much capacity your voice has, some parts suggest it's solid, but in this recording, overall everything sounds pretty shallow for the most part.

As an instrumentalist my biggest complaint is the midi line. Forgetting about recording quality of the vocals, I'm 100% sure that if you want to do something like this again, you'll find people who can do what you have here on the guitar or piano easily!

I'm always very happy to hear people's musical endeavours, so if you ever feel inspired again, please share :)
I can't write guitar tabs, or play guitar, but if there are any volunteers... I don't much like the midi either.

I had vocal training as a child. One of my biggest regrets is that I quit, due to bullying. I do a lot better in the upper register, yeah, but it sounded odd in any other key.

My microphone was so bad it was clipping no matter what, so I found I could only sing at about half the power I can actually produce. I once recorded something for university in a custom-designed sound studio and I still had to stand at the opposite end of the room to the mic.
And it still clipped.

I was nervous as hell about this though, so I appreciate the feedback.

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:11 pm

What sort of microphone did you use? That's some really odd behaviour right there.

At any rate, I have some basic idea about music production so if you want to... you can send the midi and voice track and I can tinker with it.