Ancient dreams

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

JediZero

Ancient dreams

Post by JediZero » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:28 pm

So this is a story I actually got commissioned to write, and while it's not set in Arelith, it is for a D&D campaign with a homebrew setting so I thought people might be interested in it. It's kind of big, 2.8k words in total, so I'm not going to copy/paste it here, but I am providing a link to it.

For some context: In this setting, Magic is not provided by a god or goddess. Magic is a natural part of the world, and mostly comes from Dragons. Dragons are eldritch beings that usually don't understand the mortals that come and interact with them are anything less than mindless animals. Those that do generally split down the middle on trying to usurp power over them, or simply living in peace with them.

Generally people fear magic due to the fact that being an eldritch force, people who are not prepared through years of study (wizards) that try and grasp hold of these words of power and creation, tend to go absolutely mad. Wizards are somewhat begrudgingly accepted as the ones trying to tame this madness. They also have the begrudging support of the Inquisition, a faction dedicated to killing dragons, as well as defending the realms from magic. Those that are able to grasp these words of power without this study, and retain their sanity, freak the Inquisition and Wizards the hell out. It is not known how or why these special individuals are able to grasp these mind rending concepts without being prepared for it, but it is something not under the Inquisition or the Wizard's control. This makes them nervous.

As for the story: This is the biography, of a being whom has lost their identity over the ages. They are the High Inquisitor, and they are a nigh immortal being. Such a state however can prove stressful, on the mind. So when there are lulls of activity, the High Inquisitor 'dreams'. This Biography is a revisiting of memories experienced long ago as the High Inquisitor sleeps, and their mind twists and turns.