Departure of Borin (wall of text)

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Daedin

Departure of Borin (wall of text)

Post by Daedin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:07 pm

Well..that was one intense ride I was not expecting. I logged onto Borin give or take a year ago, after having him sitting on my vault for over five years. I did it out of boredom and not knowing what else to play.

As it turns out..it was a very good choice. And the character evolved and changed in ways I was not expecting. All of that is due to the people he (and I) ended up interacting with.

Liunia Lilith...both character and player. It was because of a random encounter in the forest that Borin decided to stay, and me as well. That conversation, and all else afterward, were so much fun, and such a big help for me to define and play the dwarf, that you do get a whole of credit. Thank you. Thank you very much, for being a top roleplayer, amazing at what you do with Liunia (the elfest elf to grace the server since I have been here), and always being pleasant and fun company ooc, too.

Bardin Ungorwegen (Orca96)...The one trully unexpected thing in Borin's life, that made him,and me, change plans and opinions and a whole lot of things. Never intended for Borin to get involved with settlement stuff. Any of them. Until Borin met Bardin. And I am very happy it did, and it is one of the greatest things about Arelith. The two meeting was a completly random thing, as Borin was only passing through. Then that panned out as it did.
Also...I do not think a lot of people even know the noob that you are, and how new you are to the servers. And that is because of the top quality of your roleplay, and I also hope my rencomendations were heard. You deserve it.

Sonriath/Gem (coastal)...You're the best, and have been the best for years, and it is not surprising that wherever you show up, life erupts around you. That's a talent few people have. And Sonriath, both alive and dead, was another firm building block of Borin's early days. Thank you for that. And for having been cool to me for ten years now.

I need to start doing these by blocks now, otherwise, I won't ever finish this:

The Knights of the Road: Buppi, Shallan, Brendan, Sines, Iseult...you made it very hard to not give in to temptation and join the order. I enjoyed having Borin be rude at you all a lot, and he ended up with very special, and in some cases, close relationships, with each of the Knights. As a player of a character in a previous generation of KoR, seeing you lot together, doing your thing..warmed my heart in far too emotional ways.

The Elves of Myon: Maeve, Vanion, Araval, and a whole lot more of you. I was not expecting Borin to develop such a good relationship with the fair city or the elves. It was such a glaring contrast, yet it worked so well. Thank you for a lot of fun times, and allowing a dirty dwarf to leave his mark in the fair city. Hopefuly, others will find it.

Guldorand: Rannos, Shae, Hyrok, Eamon, and many others. This was another unexpected turn, and it began with Borin's reports. Never expected it to have it become such a close relationship, alliance, and second home. I only hope I could've gotten to interact with many of you a lot more often than I did. Also, I congratulate you all with what you achieved in Guldorand. It really became a place that..fits, that exists in this fantasy/medieval world. Kudos.

The earthkin: Brog, Grotto and Burrowhome. The Blimths (you guys looked so awesome together), all of the dwarves that were around trying to bring the halls to life, thank you.Seriously, thank you. The same goes for everyone in the Grotto and Burrowhome, that made wee-folk look awesome. And better than tall folk.

Claire! I can not forget Claire! That whole line of roleplay hit me out of nowhere. I do not know why, or how, but I am so very glad Claire chose to aproach Borin. It got me, and Borin, twisted and sad and excited and angry, all at once.

And..i need to summ it up with a Everyone Else. Tower, Wharftown, Banites, gnolls, evil shady factions, random passerbys Borin met on his hikes and ate fish over a campfire with. Thank you.

Also, thank you to the DMs that were around this past year. I saw a whole lot of dedication and a whole lot of amazing things, always the best sort of attitude. You guys rock.
Same for the Devs, past and present. Playing a character that tried to walk around as much as Borin did, the module never got..boring. It was, and always is, a pleasure to explore.

I am sure I am leaving people out, as is the case with these things, every time.
Borin left a mark on me. This I know. But he's carried on his travels, Wandering on, ever seeking new horizons.

For now, I need a break. One of the big ones. I will lurk, perhaps comeback,whenever that will be.
Until then, you lot keep it up.

Ten years of doing this...damn.

Wordless Truth

Re: Departure of Borin (wall of text)

Post by Wordless Truth » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:01 pm

Honestly, you're one of my absolute favourites. Thank you for blessing this server with your characters that never fail to make the game feel more alive.

I don't think I have to say a lot about Borin. Great concept with both stereotypes and individual traits, exceptionally portrayed. There were so many funny, heart-warming, touching scenes.
The last farewell, too. May nothing be set in stone.

Arelith without your characters isn't quite the same.

And while I like to focus on RP while I'm here, I think I'll actually miss our OOC conversations.

Thanks.

SadBunny

Post by SadBunny » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:34 pm

Each scene with Borin was beautifully tailored by you. Thank you for letting me experience him.
Victorio: And tis the day the Lord was made prey. And the pirates of Sencliff stood...

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:57 pm

Borin was an awesome character! (Borin was anything but Boring) just wish I had more chance to role play with him. Come back soon! We'll be here when you come back.
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

A little fellow

Post by A little fellow » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:38 am

"We don't have to swing ..."

Ghestaldt will always remember this night ...

Wait, no. Ghestaldt wishes to never remember this night.

Borin was great and this thread makes me sad. Lots of fun both IC and OOC and I hope to see him again someday.
Lovin' you is easy 'cause you're dutiful

Sabines

Post by Sabines » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:25 am

Borin contributed perfectly to the atmosphere of the more wild parts of the server, and I always found myself fascinated with the ways you interacted with the population scripts.
"Yeah, she was in great pain! Then we cut off her head, and drove a stake through her heart, and burned it, and then she found peace."

StealthyKraken

Post by StealthyKraken » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:26 am

[Stands there in silent appreciation of the gift that is Daedin.]
gilescorey wrote:I'm very gay

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:59 am

Borin was amazing. He had a very genuine impact on Edrahil for the short time they knew one another. For Edra, anyone involved in that fight/plot became someone important to him. Borin's hardiness in the face of some pretty horrific stuff earned him some serious respect.

For me, as a player, Borin was the dwarfiest of dwarves, who managed to convey that without necessarily resorting to or relying on cliches... He was, as far as I can tell, a living breathing creation - and that is worthy of praise. Good job, dude.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

kittenblackfriends
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by kittenblackfriends » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:48 pm

I didn't run into Borin much, but I liked the Wolf. He was very practical.
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

TheGrimLily

Post by TheGrimLily » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:40 pm

I was really quite sad when I heard Borin had left the isles. (And more upset I had to go afk when he was saying bye to Shae.) I hope you come back sometime and let me interact with you in some form or another! You're a fantastic person to play with!

CoastalSurf

Post by CoastalSurf » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:17 am

I think we're about even now, daedin, on each other's characters leaving before the other player was remotely prepared or ready for it. I'll be around the places you know how to find me now and again. And expect wonderful rl adventure tales

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:36 am

Borin was an OG. I liked him, and his interactions with the balance system a lot. I think he added a lot to the server and I'm sad to see him go.

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:55 pm

Daedin wrote: Ten years of doing this...damn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okpByy- ... ture=share
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

Glowing Mushroom

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:09 pm

I only got to RP with Borin two times. Once for a brief meeting in Bendir, and another in Brogendenstein. I wish I could have spent more time with him, the Roleplay was fun and full of storytelling. Hopefully I can meet more of your characters!
Burin the Earthly.

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:59 am

You know I <3 all your incarnations. Hurry back!
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Rodent

Post by Rodent » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:51 pm

Borin and Shallan's interactions were brief but always memorable. That confession on their final meeting was really just a beautiful microcosm of both personalities. Borin's blunt but heavy admission that he had killed Marya Althschuler and Shallan's grim acceptance thereof. Always a privilege to play with you, and I am sure we will meet again on something else!

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:10 pm

This one was a little daunting to reply to you. Not because I have nothing to say about Borin, but because I don't know where to begin.

Firstly, you as a player, need to be proud of yourself. Out of all the outstanding roleplayers here, you are among those that stand before us all. Every character of yours I've interacted with has been truly unique and memorable. I regret that our timezones have been so different, and that our characters didn't get the opportunity to interact more. Why is it that every time I'm around your characters, I feel inspired? You've got this amazing ability truly worthy of the highest RPR this server has got to give. Seriously, feel proud of yourself. Let it go to your head. You deserve it.

As for Borin himself, I've said it in other threads, but I've never seen a ranger quite like him. He's essentially changed how Rannos will view rangers and their capabilities forever. No longer are they "almost-druids" or strange bush dwellers. Borin and his seamless interaction with the rangers abilities actually made me forget we were in a game at certain points. He was a scout, a commando, a vigilant sentinel. I'm so utterly impressed that I'm convinced the Skull Crags Ranger NPC was inspired by him. It had to be. We have to get a ranger detachment in Guldorand now. It must happen.

Farewell to Borin. We'll miss him.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Daedin

Post by Daedin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:09 pm

I won't go into another wall of text, since all that I wrote before still stands. And I know it might've been cheesy of me for bringing him back after the first shelving but, I quickly realised I wasn't done with him. I am now.

Borin's gone for good now, and it was his time to go. Even though I had been planning to do it for a while now, it was still hard to do. I had grown very, very attached to the character and all of the roleplay avenues he was involved with.

But it was time.

I was also starting to burn out, and so this will be a good chance to take a break for a while.

Thank you to everyone who I had the pleasure of interacting with on Borin, friends and foes alike.
This was a wild but fun ride.

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:18 pm

StealthyKraken wrote:[Stands there in silent appreciation of the gift that is Daedin.]

Done.

FairyTaleBiscuit

Post by FairyTaleBiscuit » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:25 pm

<3
Only the gods tell him what to do, and you should beware of men who take their orders from the gods.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:35 pm

There has been two characters now that have made me cry at their passing. Borin is one of them.

Borin was a character introduced to Buppi which made me go "What a self-centered jerk." Boy was Buppi and I wrong. This "Halfling" dwarf did so much for Buppi and his development. A stern person in his life that straight up told Buppi is was stupid. Borin cared, though. He cared so much for everyone. And he was always on the roads, waiting to pass you to help you out. To be the helping hand that wandered the isle.

Much love, may he wander on. <3

theCountofMonteCristo

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Sad to see him go. Hope to play with your next character!

A little fellow

Post by A little fellow » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:55 pm

What an incredibly strong, heartfelt and funny character. One of a kind, our Borin. Thank you for all the moments, thank you for his final moment.

Our characters were opposites in many ways, but so of the same mind.
Lovin' you is easy 'cause you're dutiful

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Many loved Borin, and many gathered for him. <3

FairyTaleBiscuit

Post by FairyTaleBiscuit » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:50 pm

Today, a 38 wisdom cleric suggested a army of people shoot about 54 arrows of a mountain top all etched with the name borin to land in undiscovered places! and people actually did it beyond all common sense that this was a bad idea!

Haha, Borin <3 Your names all over the mountain in places no one can reach and likely in some poor travelers hide too.

" In his name we shall fire a volley! Anyone to whom finds these places will find his presence there! May these arrows pierce deep into the unfound land, sea and mountain, be it thud, splash or clang the name Borin shall be known to all to who discover him!"
Only the gods tell him what to do, and you should beware of men who take their orders from the gods.