Goodbye and good luck.

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Kreydis

Goodbye and good luck.

Post by Kreydis » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:56 pm

Over the course of a year I've played about two characters, give or take a few concepts in the making. Some shoutouts to players who have interacted with my generally very mean characters.

Clea

Do I even need to say how much I valued your time as a player and a character? Went from a ragged elf in Cordor asking for help on a shirt, to ruling Myon, an impressive run for someone who wanted little to do with politics at first.

Astra

We went from wanting to claw out each other's eyes to somewhat content sort of friends who tolerated the other's existence. Likely one of the more dramatic changes in interpersonal relationships I've seen in a while.

Rann McWhatEverYourNameIs

The very hostile encounter we had in Cordor at his home that nearly resulted in his murder. From stalking you for hours, to sitting behind your chair casually picking out what arrow I wanted to use to shove through your head on Valendel, it was great. The tug of war at trying to find a resolution that wasn't violence was great. . . But what was worse was that bug that made it so we couldn't see anyone else in the server! OH THAT WAS AWFUL and EMBARRASSING!

Reinhard, Thag, Niamh, Kael, Elatha, Ilaerothil, and Guldorand as a whole.

I'm sad that I have to cut my time short with all of you, but I hope you understand how much fun I had playing with you folks. Rarely have I managed to put, let alone be apart of a tightly knit social group as the first two and the last four. I still remember how excited I was to play a strong build for the first time in my life of Arelith. Grinding 40 EXP mobs like nothing? Wow! So much fun, the challenge was real, and the rewards were great.

I had plans I wanted to do with the last four, but we'll never see them get put into fruition, but every moment of Drama we had between us four was enjoyable, if not at the very least stressful! Relationship issues, supporting each other, friendly and not so friendly talks.

Amelor's life on Arelith will be cut short, and I think it's for the best. I've stopped having fun in general a long time ago on Arelith, and it's better that I find something else to do.

To the poor souls and characters my guys have hurt.

YOU DESERVED IT! No, just kidding, you probably didn't. But that's not going to change Valendel's mind now will it? We had our roles, we did what our characters would do. I respect you for being my enemy, and I hope I didn't cause any of the OOC drama we have now, but I'm sure I did somewhere to someone.

Countless other names out there I'm not going to say because it's to much work. You've all be more or less fun to play with. I can only hope it was the same for you. Else I've made mistakes here and there, and have always tried to improve.

The DM team, you'll get through whatever mess this is. But I think there is far more wrong with the server then a small group of players screaming about how they've been cheated because of misinformation. Will I ever know? Doubt it, I also don't care anymore. Arelith will keep going strong with or without just about anyone on this serve, and I wish you all the best. Else it has been fair from all accounts on my end with my interactions. Even if I disagree with certain things.

Just remember, people are genuinely scared of losing their place in Arelith, don't treat everyone as malicious, you need to actually start asking people why they feel the way they do, and maybe even act on it. Fear is irrational by nature.

-------------

Now onto a long story for all of you folks here who are new. I'm a nobody who started playing around 2010 I believe, maybe earlier, maybe later, I'll never really know. The reason the forum accounts all start at 2014 is because of a forum wipe that happened because of whatever reason. Lots of good things were lost, but the community pushed through, during the long dark days of no server browser because of Gamespy and the plague of losing players one by one, because of the game being old.

EE was a massive influx of new players to all servers, and genuinely refreshing to come back to having more people to RP with, even if the consequences of modern day technology plague RP as I feel it always has since forever. Just more abundant now then ever I've felt.

My first major character was a stupid failure of a halfling known as Bido, started off as your OH SO TYPICAL halfling pickpocket. Got jailed, freed, went to Bendir, made an impact on someone's RP life, I still have a message from that player I value dearly. I introduced her to RPing it seems, and that is the most wholesome experience any player I think will ever have in their life.

In turn, I sent a message to Sasha Silverscales' player, and eventually the recently retired Daedin (I bet you didn't know that NPC cleric in Bendir was a player, did you?) who more or less did the same thing for me. I was once again, a new failure of a halfling cleric known as Drado Arona. I was a poor RPer at the best of times, and honestly my emotions got to me, as my wall of distancing myself from player and character wasn't strong during those days. I never really ever managed to get Drado to fit into the Bendir community, which looked way different then what it is today. From a small mound with some player housing in the back, to an actual village! Gods it was exciting to see the new Bendir.

Daedin posted on the forums many years ago about making an Orog warband, and while I only lasted for the early levels, it was fun. Being apart of a group and stomping on the ground shouting about OROG STRONG, WARBAND STRONG, LURG BEST LEADER. Grond and Udos, hells what a weird dynamic the settlements had!

Also the endless changes to Cordor? I can't even count how many times Cordor has been reworked! It looks so good now, even if I despise the place ICly almost always! How many years the DM team tried to force people to RP in the nomad, instead of out in front of it! Now I think they've given up, and just made the roadway bigger, it's funny in retrospect. Also outside of Cordor technically. The nomad used to be inside! And the arcane tower used to be inside of Bramble woods! Mayfields was just this dumb little walled off inn after a small bridge, and there was no such thing as Darrowdeep or castle Gloom. So much has changed on the server, so many new cool things, and honestly just wonderful places to vist.

Writs are so nice for leveling, and honestly, before I think the server averaged maybe level 20, and it was rare to see someone actually maxed for me at least, to now everyone seems like a level 30!

When FL came out, I was a bit late to the party, but it was genuinely the most fun server I've ever had the pleasure of being on. The mobs were alright, but the 'leveling' system was so fun to tinker around with. Nothing was ever worth not doing, because the entire point of the server was that money gave you power, and in turn led to more money and more power. Mithraes, if you're reading, thank you so much for making FL with whoever else helped. I'm sad it died off in the end, but it was great while it lasted.

Was I ever a great driver in RP for people? Maybe, I don't know.

My point is that people need time to grow, and improve. I like to think, I went from that garbage pickpocket to someone worth spending time with, but that's for you to decide. Just give everyone a chance, and be nice to each other. Which I honestly think is lacking in the community right now.

So in turn, I ask every one of you right now, to find a person you appreciate, and thank them. Tell them the importance they had on your RP as a character, or maybe even development as a player. Be it in private tells, messages, kudos forums and otherwise. Stem the negativity by actually sitting down and talking with each other, hells make it with DM's arbitrating the conversation. Often players are not on either side trying to be jerks, but it's so easy to fall into the trap thinking so.

If you just start mass reporting and screaming to the DM's to ban without having an honest to god talk, you're in the wrong, I also extend that gesture to the DM team. You need to sit every god damn player apart of this bullshit on all sides down and Snuggle a Bugbear talk to them. Ignoring this and just letting people keep acting out so you can ban them is the worst way of dealing with this crap I have ever had the displeasure of seeing.

Stop poisoning the water and air we're drinking from. It's a mistake far to easy to do for everyone, including myself.

I'll respond to PMs for a few weeks, else that will be the limitation of my interaction on Arelith.

As such, Arelith, goodbye, and good luck. I wish you all well, but it will be without me, some random nobody you've probably never interacted with.
Last edited by Kreydis on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.

Memelord

Re: Goodbye and good luck.

Post by Memelord » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:25 pm

goodbey valandal

Lady Astray

Post by Lady Astray » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:59 pm

I enjoyed role playing with you and appreciated the effort you took as a player and character to help me and my character through difficult times. I wish you nothing but the best and hope we meet again someday.

MarkingOfTime

Post by MarkingOfTime » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:22 am

So many people leaving but this hurts the most. Thanks for being Ilae's shining knight.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:39 am

So in turn, I ask every one of you right now, to find a person you appreciate, and thank them. Tell them the importance they had on your RP as a character, or maybe even development as a player. Be it in private tells, messages, kudos forums and otherwise. Stem the negativity by actually sitting down and talking with each other, hells make it with DM's arbitrating the conversation. Often players are not on either side trying to be jerks, but it's so easy to fall into the trap thinking so.
I like this.

I knew Valendel was a pure and utter jerk, but I never thought you were. Thank you for all of the RP, Valendel had his mark on Yeto and his family (even if partly because Yeto used him as an example of jerkiness!). Wish Yeto/Clea/Valendel had been able to have that dinner, but things changed too quickly.

Good luck wherever you go from here, I hope you have fun; and thank you for the RP.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

O-H41

Post by O-H41 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:33 am

Kreydis wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:56 pm
Daedin posted on the forums many years ago about making an Orog warband, and while I only lasted for the early levels, it was fun. Being apart of a group and stomping on the ground shouting about OROG STRONG, WARBAND STRONG, LURG BEST LEADER. Grond and Udos, hells what a weird dynamic the settlements had!
Hah! I was part of Daedin's orog warband six or seven years ago too. I didn't know he recruited from the forums for it though. I joined up when we were lowbies as a friend of a friend. We had some fun making orogs into something more than walking stereotypes. Our characters Valendel and Lilah met last year, but I didn't remember playing with you before, and I'm sure you didn't remember playing with me. We butted heads in character, but the mutual player respect was always there. Life goes on. Take care of yourself, and maybe our paths will cross on NWN again sometime. Cheers, man!
Lilah Lannald: Is it cheese?
Corbin: Its---yes.
Corbin: Its cheese.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:21 am

It was a pleasure to RP with Valendel as the salt to Clea's soup. I enjoyed their often very different approaches to the world. AKA

Valen > "i'll kill you!"
Clea *Holding Valen back* "He doesn't mean that!"

: )

They had a wonderful IC relationship. While it's a shame to see you go we can all only do what's best for us so I hope if you continue to RP elsewhere you find it fulfilling.
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 am

Cant say much more than what I did through pms last we talked.

If you ever end up returning, just try and focus on the positive.

Be well man.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

Mohailo

Post by Mohailo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:47 pm

Sad to see you and Amelor go mate.
Take care
Psh. I'm just a filthy ranger after all

l33tfragiletings

Post by l33tfragiletings » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Borin Drakkmurl wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 am
Cant say much more than what I did through pms last we talked.

If you ever end up returning, just try and focus on the positive.

Be well man.
Going to second that. Hopefully you find a new server or game to enjoy, it was really nice playing with you.. See you later!

MajorMix2007

Post by MajorMix2007 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Hey man, had very memorable moments last year through Valendel's and Nadie Kendrick's interactions. The were all mostly quiet one on one RP moments, but Valendel made for an important and memorable character in her journey.

Hope to see you return some day.

Atlantahammy

Post by Atlantahammy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Keep on grumping, Grumpy Elf 2!

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:11 pm

Thank you for playing with me and I wish you good luck.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:54 pm

I remember Valendel... when Zaravella was below epic levels. Almost scuffled with him in Sibayad. But then we formed an awesome party to kill orcs...

Thanks for playing.

So long, have fun.
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:48 pm

So that's who Valen was. Lots of fun and interesting time with Kerri. I still remember the first conspiracy that he brought up had me asking who is this guy.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:56 am

Valendel was unique amongst all the elves Ceviran has met since I've made him. The scene I came across in Myon where Valendel was bubbling with suppressed anger over Clea's treatment was a moment of kindred spirits I didn't know I was hoping for in Cev's story, and despite Valendel's generally brusque nature the two of them began to get along rather rapidly after that moment of understanding between them.

Cev never did get to pay him back. He suspects Valendel knew he wouldn't. :P

Your impact was relatively brief for Cev, but massive, and I wish you fun wherever you go- I hope you come back sometime. :)
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Dragonfyre

Post by Dragonfyre » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:35 am

Kreydis wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:56 pm
Was I ever a great driver in RP for people? Maybe, I don't know.
I don't think you understand just how much of an impact you made on the characters around your characters. So much of Emelina's protectiveness of Rann was driven (in no small part) by the conflict between him and Valendel. Your angry elf provided the first in a string of threats (real or perceived) she saw against Rann, but the way you were able to drive across the emotional impact of the conflict - the anger, the indignation, the downright hatred and contempt which Valendel held for Rann never faded from Eme's memory, and probably never will. Though I don't think either Valendel or Emelina ever truly thought of each other as enemies at any given point in time, there was never any doubt that they were most definitely in opposition to one another over the years that followed.

...which made that messenger from him a while back all the more surprising, when it came. She and I were both intrigued, and I'm glad I made the decision, both as the character and her player, to answer him instead of brush him off. That last bit of RP we had, where she was able to see a side to him she never had before, left me (and her) wanting to learn more about Valendel. Sadly, the opportunity to do so just... never came up again.

As for your question above? The answer isn't a maybe. It's a resounding YES.
Active character(s): Emelina Selizar - A Slave No More

Others: Shea Webber (Retired and wandering the wilds with her beloved Xellree)