Soirin, Quartermaster of Skaljard

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Soirin, Quartermaster of Skaljard

Post by Kenji » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Soirin's concept was an attempt to make Skal more friendly to both new players and new PCs alike. To be honest, she's the projection of whom I wished to have as both a mentor and a someone to teach me the ropes to the server when I first started playing on Arelith.

Alas, there wasn't really anyone, at least not until I found the forums and Discord. It saddened me to see how some have deemed Skal an unworthy or a detrimental addition to Arelith. That or they see the "new players" have somehow tainted the the role-playing scene on Arelith.

I felt that something needed to be done, and Soirin was my attempt at both being a learning experience for myself and a way to do something for Skal. This also isn't to say that I was qualified to be the one to teach these new players, in fact, I was probably the least qualified here to do so.

Anyways, back to Soirin. Actually, it is now less about Soirin, but more about the people and characters that interacted with Soirin. Apologies in advance if I forgot about any of you.

Each wave and generations of different player characters on Skal:
I wish I could remember you all! After all, you are the very reason why I played a character like Soirin.

I remember both as a player and as Soirin going through the emotions of watching the new player characters become more and more experienced, only to leave Skal to achieve even greater things.

And then the excitement of seeing them coming back to visit and recite to Soirin what they have achieved come every spring time.

It was like watching children grow up, leave home, and come home to tell you what they've done, then do so again year after year. Except at a faster rate condensed within months of a lifetime :mrgreen:

Frostblades and Mach Fryar:
They were the ones who went out of their ways and bothered with Skal and its welfare. Even though the Frostblades technically predates Soirin, and can be considered what inspired me to make Soirin, they are essentially the children of Skal, coming back home to visit Skal once in a while, only to leave every time the sea freezes. Soirin almost always depended on the Frostblades for any major conflict that came to Skal.

DM Team:
I might have missed some other DMs here, and sorry if I did, but DM Titania had been (at least to my knowledge) the one doing multiple events on Skal, allowing its then inhabitants to have something to do outside of their usual writ routine. Sorry that Soirin didn't participate much, but it was the breath of fresh air Skal needed. Thanks for your time and dedication!

Builds n' Mechanics gurus:
Without you guys, I could not come up with a more optimal build for Soirin in order to fulfill her role as a quartermaster. Thanks for answering every little question I had to the littlest details of which they are probably enough to write a Ph.D. dissertation!

Closing words:
Alas, Soirin is a stout Shield Dwarf, and I a mundane human. I can not keep up with the vigor and enthusiasm required to keep Soirin and her RP going. I wish I could have done more for Skal and its inhabitants, but I believe it's time I move on and perhaps one day come up with a better character concept. Thanks for allowing me to participate in any of your stories, even as a IC spectator.

It was a blast!

Dragonfyre

Re: Soirin, Quartermaster of Skaljard

Post by Dragonfyre » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:44 pm

I never met Soirin in-character, but I've found that one mark of exceptional RP is the impact a character has on others they've known or interacted with. I remember after one particular raid happened on Skal, characters who had been "rescued" from the island by magical means spoke highly of the Quartermaster, while lamenting she had fallen by the hands of their attackers - I think after having stood up to them, in some manner. It was obvious that Soirin had made an impact on these other characters, and it made me want to find out more about her. Alas, an IC meeting was never to be, and now I'm regretting not having gone over to Skal to seek her out.

Kudos to you, and good luck with your next character!
Active character(s): Emelina Selizar - A Slave No More

Others: Shea Webber (Retired and wandering the wilds with her beloved Xellree)

Wrips

Post by Wrips » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Soirin (and Moirin! I didn't forget her!) were Skal's finest, I had a very good time playing alongside them. You did an awesome job there, Kenji. I hope you can return to Skal someday, again, to show how great it can be.

Kudos to you!

Lady Astray

Post by Lady Astray » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm

I was one of those many players new to Arelith and NWN who grew up with their first character in Skal. Quartermaster Soirin inspired me and my character to get into the crafting system and learn blacksmithing. Now my character is a Quartermaster. Thanks for taking the time to help new players, hope you come up with another character you enjoy playing soon!

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:21 am

Soirin is the best. Proper fun to have around.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

Sycostick
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Sycostick » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:18 am

Dendore had fun with Soirin, talked about her often once he left Skal. I found Skal to be very helpful and Soirin added to that. I am an old player, but recently returned last year. It was great to get in character knowledge of alot of things from rping on Skal and with Soirin. Thanks for the good times!

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:34 am

I knew Soirin for about 5 minutes and could tell she was top shelf

RIP

Madgamer13

Post by Madgamer13 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:51 am

I remember both Moirin and Soirin on quite a few of my more recent characters. I enjoyed my play with you, and hope you can enjoy any new concepts you feel like chasing. :D
  • Kritheris Gwette (On Hiatus)

Piri

Post by Piri » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:07 pm

We have missed your presence on Skaljard! Top notch character.

Zahlfire

Post by Zahlfire » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:58 pm

Definitely one of my favorite characters to have met on Arelith on any of my toons, Soirin will be greatly missed.

10/10 Job on her Kenji. My friends and I still talk about some of the events that happened back when we joined and how amazing Soirin was.
The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:48 am
Perhaps the takeaway is not to go 'Ugh. Lesbians... we should cull them.'
Currently plays: N/A

Who to PM and When

Feel free to PM me with Lore questions!

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:53 am

RIP the greatest of Skal.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Soirin was such a good character to have for both new players and new lowbies on Skal. My character always respected the stout dwarf, since they both shared a love (though entirely from two different points of view) for the village of Skaljard and its hardworking people.

fulminea

Post by fulminea » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:08 pm

When I joined a few months ago, being a complete noob to pretty much everything, I remember seeing Soirin and finding her a great inspiration for me. I never got to RP with you, but just know that what you provided in Skal (infrastructure and inspiration) did help me a great deal :) I also loved her cruisin through Skal with that horse.. I dunno it just added atmosphere for me.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:30 pm

Wrips wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:46 pm
Soirin (and Moirin! I didn't forget her!) were Skal's finest, I had a very good time playing alongside them. You did an awesome job there, Kenji. I hope you can return to Skal someday, again, to show how great it can be.

Kudos to you!
I always envisioned my dwarven PCs having a crush on your Blackguards since they're always the Lawful (Necessary Evil), stoic, don't-talk-much, but not a jerk, just like her ex-husband types. But then I didn't play them for the romantic experience, so there's that.

Still, good times were had! Wish Soirin could have gone to the mainlands and joined your pilgrimage. Alas, Skaljard was her true calling in the end.
Madgamer13 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:51 am
I remember both Moirin and Soirin on quite a few of my more recent characters. I enjoyed my play with you, and hope you can enjoy any new concepts you feel like chasing. :D
I absolutely adored your wild elven PDKs and their emotes every time we went on an adventure. There was always this unspoken vibe of a Dwarf and Elf BFF (like whaaaaat) in between our PCs. It was great! :lol:
Sycostick wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:18 am
Dendore had fun with Soirin, talked about her often once he left Skal. I found Skal to be very helpful and Soirin added to that. I am an old player, but recently returned last year. It was great to get in character knowledge of alot of things from rping on Skal and with Soirin. Thanks for the good times!
One of the things Soirin (and in a sense, myself) looked forward to every time the ice melts was Dendore and the previous veterans of Skal would come back to visit. They always brought her the supplies and gifts she needed, and she hoped she can offer something useful in return.

Of course, by then the veterans usually have outgrown what Soirin could offer. Those were sweet times!