Weston Cain: Dawn's Light, and Farewell!

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Gideon DeVay
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Weston Cain: Dawn's Light, and Farewell!

Post by Gideon DeVay » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Weston Cain met his gruesome and untimely demise today. In the end, his death was the culmination of his flaws; pride, self-righteousness, vain optimism, and naiveite. I’ll be leaving Arelith (for a time), and I found this a good way to go out.

I hadn’t thought to post a “kudos” for Weston, since he and I have only been around for 3 months. But I would be remiss not to thank and point out the players and characters that have made the last 90 days so incredible and fun for me.

Emily Azuretide: Weston’s first and best friend, and perhaps the most interesting and engaging character I encountered. From the Cordor sewer rats to running Cordor’s government, Emily’s charm is making people feel included in the story. It was a wild ride! I enjoyed our Arelith time together.

Rick Snyder: My OOC favorite character in Cordor. Played with dedication and skill—whether people notice or not! The Rick Snyder “Hi.” Stands out to me in the “classic Cordor experience.” Weston may think you’re “the most insufferable bastard in Cordor,” but I think you’re a swell RPer and dude. Glad we were able to interact a little more toward the end.

Vaylani Moontear: Dedicated role player and delight to share a conversation with. Can’t wander along the Trade Road citing poetry with many folks! I appreciate your dedication to the craft and your character’s unique energy and charisma.

Nyssa Jovanka: Unique and dedicated character, and a charm to RP with. “Road to Bendir” stands out as a top moment for me. Enjoyed our interactions and friendship.

Vers Brias: Took Weston as a Squire at Level 4 and showed him how to do, well, everything. From smithing to just general Arelith role playing and culture. Dedicated to Arelith’s history and incredibly skilled at incorporating lore into the everyday game. Thanks for the time.

Ecthelion De La Tour: The White Knight of Cordor! Perfect example of how Paladins can be kind and noble, but also psychotic. Weston looked up to you more than anyone else in Arelith, and it was a source of great pride for him to serve under you in Cordor. Was a pleasure interacting with you.

Myrrh: We only were able to RP at the end regularly, but it was a rare and unique pleasure. I enjoyed our fireside chat, and learned quite a bit!

Berenor, and the Triad: Thanks for including Weston and giving him a home. Finding an active faction willing to take a new player in makes all the difference in the world to a new and confused player.

Gelberath/Firlys: Perfect example of how much a difference an “experienced” player can make on a new one. Gelberath’s willingness to speak to, remember, and engage new players is highly commendable. Weston’s encounter with Firlys in the Swamplands will always stand out to me, and it was memorable to see such different characters become friends.

Neli Ore and the UD Gang: Thanks for murdering me. Really though, enjoyed the role play immensely—from what began to Weston as “that Amnian stalker,” to “trusted friend and fiancé,” to “ultimate betrayer,” I admire the story you created and enjoyed our talks by the pond. It’s a shame you had to murder me, because the “snarky couple” banter was top-notch.

Qina, the “Bardess”: Loved your total commitment to lore and song. I’ll miss your well-crafted performances and chats. What could have been in another life!

Mordan: Weston’s bro and best man. Sorry I got you killed! A worthy servant of Solonor and a good friend, on and off screen.

Wotan Woodberry and the Nomad Crew: What a fun place to just sit on a Friday night and partake in the silliness. As is said around Cordor, "There's always something going on at the Nomad!" This was Weston's spiritual home and where many memorable events took place for him. Thanks for letting him be part of your history--and for coming to the wedding! Heh.

Anneliese Ravviral: A chilling and perfectly executed Banite. Enjoyed our RP and death-staring one another at the meeting in the Tower. The Winter Ball Speedy was the cherry on top. hats off to your style and commitment.

Adarien Flameweaver: The first person Weston hated! Enjoyed our brief role play and hunting you across the island, only to be killed by your Balor in my home tavern. You are a gifted role player; glad you were able to be there for Weston’s demise.

Zaros: A friend of Weston’s from the start. Thanks for the RP, and I hope Zaros finds what he’s looking for!

Finally, DM GrumpyCat for hosting the death and being so helpful with setting it up and playing along. Thanks a ton!

I’ve learned in my time on this server: Give people the gift of sharing their story. You can make a significant difference in a player’s day just by paying attention and including them in your role play, without overly criticizing their concepts or ignoring them. Remembering a small detail may make all the difference in the world—it certainly did for me, playing with you all.

I’m sure I’ve left many folks out, and I apologize in advance. This is such a special place, and I wish you all the very best. I may pop on, in the future, to give a sermon as an old Lathanderite cleric now and again.

As Weston would say, Dawn’s Grace, and Light of Lathander to you all!
Last edited by Gideon DeVay on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Yog don't think Beat Up Guy know how dogman work."

Evelynn Longbrooke-rolled uncermoniously
Drakas Austraxas, The Quiet Fury

Madgamer13

Re: Weston Cain: Dawn's Light, and Farewell!

Post by Madgamer13 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:19 am

It was a pleasure, and I hope to see you again on Arelith in the future. *tips hat*
  • Kritheris Gwette (On Hiatus)

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:43 am

Rip, the death of Weston is felt throughout the island of Arelith tonight.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:20 am

weston was neat and i'm sad to see him go. i liked the dynamic he and rick had and, while we won't get to see how it could've unfolded, what happened will affect rick for a long time to come. glad to be a part of your story, and thanks for being part of mine :)
Intelligence is too important

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:49 am

We should stop having weddings in the Arelith, they always lure in Shadow Moles, Drows or Assassins. XD
Wotan just talked about the encounters of past weddings and suddenly the wild drows and pirates appear!
Knew that picked song had hint of Red Weddings, should have seen it coming!

Anyway, Weston was always fun to roleplay and hang out with with each encounter in the Nomad. His death really dropped my mouth open by surprise. Weston will always be remembered in the Nomad. Fun to see what's your next character!
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

Lady Astray

Post by Lady Astray » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:40 am

My character only met and interacted with Weston briefly, it's unfortunate they didn't get to share more time together. You played a great paladin, even though we only spoke twice in character, you managed to leave an impression that would be remembered. Hope you find happiness and success in whatever you do next.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 am

We didn't get too much time to roleplay together, but I loved everything I saw from you and Weston! Best of luck on your future journeys :D

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post by Sic Semper Tyrannis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:36 am

:(

From the sewers to the ivory tower of government, two characters could not have gone so far without each other. Weston was one of the most thoughtful, realistic and round characters I've ever played with. I'm sad to see him go. He was the yin to Emily's yang. He's often the one that kept her on the good side of LN. Emily will never be the same without him.

You know my Discord, don't be a stranger.

Currently: Madison Sabel
Retired: Emily Azuretide, Aremis Keidos, Mackenzie Graves

good man of god
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by good man of god » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Thank you for the fun in your final scene!

I don't think we've crossed paths prior to this, but I am glad I could assist in a small way (by just being a member of the goon squad) towards giving your character the send off you wanted.

Peace!

Previous:
Tornius Daressin
Matthew Daressin-Gravelle
Asvusha (Blake Lynk)
Sebastian Webster

Current:
Inkwell Thornwhisper

Eo Vew

Post by Eo Vew » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:42 pm

We didn't get to spend as much time together as Viris would have liked (crashing all over Minmir was rough). For the time we did spend, Viris truly appreciated Weston for being a good Knight, a good Paladin, and a good friend. Weston's death cut Viris deep, but in his farewell to Weston, he felt Weston would have told him, "Tomorrow, the sun will rise."

fulminea

Post by fulminea » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 pm

Weston was a remarkable character for all his virtues and flaws, you immediatly got me hooked despite our brief encounters - and dear oh dear I remember thinking every warlock in town with a thing for human sacrifice is gonna be all over him :) I enjoyed our RP very much and regret not having witnessed his sacrifice in the end. What a way to go out, I salute you!

Marla McGivers

Post by Marla McGivers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:42 pm

Hard to believe that you are going and that Weston is no more. Thanks for the brief time we shared. I applaud your philosophy of getting people to share their back story and take the time to get to know them and by doing so you become a part of their story and they yours.

Weston had a big impact on Nyssa's life and story and she will miss him very much, as I will miss you.

Thank you and best wishes for the future.

Marla
To feel the thrill of victory, there has to be the possibility of failure. - Katherine Pulaski

Alyxnia

Post by Alyxnia » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:53 am

Neli picked Weston because he was exemplar of everything a Paladin and Knight should be. He almost convinced her that there was a way out.

I enjoyed our months of roleplay together, and Neli developing from the creepy street girl always around every corner to that sublime snarky banter all the way until the very end.

There may always be another nightfall, but its always followed by a rising sun.

Good luck with your move and thanks for all the great roleplaying!
-Neli
Player of
  • Neli Ore - Flew too close to the sun
  • Trouble Brightwood - Missing 411'd
  • Avdotia Zakharova / "Hathran" - Finished her investigations
  • Ghashburz Swordeater - In search of honor
Dead but not gone

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:48 am

I will miss Weston. It was hilarious seeing him sort of try to avoid Neli, yet he didnt want to hurt her feelings.

I also like seeing the squire and knight RP between you and Vers Brias and I enjoy being around the Triad.

Thanks for spending time at The Nomad and grinding Guldorand writs!

Looking forward to meeting your new creation.

~Ranthe's player
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:59 am

Ecth will miss his first Commander for a long time. Kudos to you, it was a great pleasure RPing with you ! Looking forward to your next char !

lakhena

Post by lakhena » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:59 pm

<3

Weston gave Vaylani hope for the human race... and for reforming Cordor. Thank you for being an exemplary player, IC and OOC, and inclusive of random folks you bump into in the wilderness. I was glad to be a part of the final scene -- which is seared into my elf's memory.

Looking forward to your bard!
Now playing:
Azalea the Magnificent
Thaelyn Lyrandel (retired)