Ghestaldt's Final Kudos

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

A little fellow

Ghestaldt's Final Kudos

Post by A little fellow » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:20 am

So 25 in-game years later this story has finally come to an end. I never thought it would last this long, but Ghestaldt turned out to be the perfect vessel for travelling around Arelith and meeting all kinds of interesting folk.

It's been a real pleasure to mix about with all of the characters over the past 2 and a half RL years, but where the majority of my thanks lie are with Brogendenstein's playerbase. I'm sure everyone outside of it is lovely, but they have proven time and time again to be the best example a collective of people on this game can set. Selfless, honest, friendly people .. and fantastic RPers, each of them .. and I just want to tell you all what a pleasure it has been to share this time with you. From the bottom of my heart.

Now .. over the stretch of playtime I've forgotten more names that most people will ever learn. If I accidentally leave you out here, feel free to seek me out and tell me how horrible I am. Bare with me.

DWARFS
Finibelle Blimth - You are the reason I made Ghestaldt, and stuck with him so long.

Falgrim Vintergard - Literally the best right hand a Dwarf could have. Sent from the Morndinsamman, I swear.

Garmr Stonesoul - Picked me up when I wasn't in the most enthused of places.

Naly Gottrasdottir - Sweetheart. A character that meant so much to Ghestaldt.

Borin - Long gone but not easily forgotten

Ragnhild Blimth - Miss Goodie-Two-Shoes/a Dwarf that prints cold hard cash.

Greydda Stonehammer - Recent arrival but no less impressive, thank you for the last weeks and months.

Dalin Braidstone - I do not believe you are not a priest in real life.

Urist Hallowed-Candles - A player dedicated to telling great stories, a character who supported me for Ghestaldt's last.

Gorudan Vintergard - Image

Thane's Kuldarn - Demetrius Herhtov ,Singrun Horsta, Short Stacks, Murin Ironsorn, Torgal Gildbroker, Thondor Stormbrew, Amarn'ar Mounn, Thondor Stormbrew, Ragnar T Stonebeard, Kimli Schelen, Giles Gemsong, Krogan Stoneaxe, Othragon, Bromgrim Cinderbeard, Bardin Strongaxe, Caesar Krin, Friggja Thunderfoe, Morgus Frostrider, Noirin Kivna, Cregor Wilbor, Khregen Gnawear, Razat Vintergard, Orin Glimmershield, Balrig Vintergard, Belamy Frostpeak, Furin Shieldhammer.

Elders - Balund Ironhelm, Borin, Doili Troff, Grimly Keglighter, Broind Glimmerbrand.

Other Dwarfs - Grymsur Rhek, Ursullir Grimskald, Bardin Ungorwegen, Rathagos, Storunn Deepglint, Kellarn Stonekegg, Aster Argosy, Philburt Phrumplestone, Mykthar Silverbeard.

DARROWDEEP
Darrowdeep was slow to pick up pace, but when it did there was nothing more satisfying than seeing the Riders of Darrowdeep set out on the hunt. Thank you for all the effort you put in to make the Dominion work.

"Wee Miss" Ghestelle Snow Viermont - Put a great amount of effort into getting Darrowdeep up and running.

Eirik Skuring - A long time guardian.

Igogh - She was pretty hot ..

- Anuia, Taestra, Scycla, Elina, Harvey, Juris.

GULDORAND
Ghestaldt had a long history with Guldorand, which started off sour, had a fair bit of tyranny sprinkled in there, but ultimately ended in mutual respect.

Rannos Susidian - They were too much alike not to like each other .. it just took 'em a while.

Laura Luineth Lee - Our time was short, but it was very meaningful, thank you.

Alice Highfen-Scarlett - Ghestaldt wont miss stopping you playing footsie under the table during important meetings.

Derristan Barley - Tell some jokes.

- Eldwyn Leofricson, Lyssa Keltain/Susidian, Hilde Ragnarrsdottir.

HIN
Buppi - A long and eventually satisfying character arch between these two. Thank you for all the moments.

Meriam Fuzzypaws - Almost single handedly improved Ghestaldt's feelings towards Bendir Dale. Also a very receptive and thoughtful RPer.

Birgitta Swordhill - Didn't live long enough to get the race reassignment surgery so you could join the Kuldarn.

- Gemina, Red Highfen, Mabel Highfen, Jasper Highfen, Maya Nutcracker, The Dirtytoes',

ELFS
Maeralya Nithroel - Ghestaldt's in Isle-wide partner in crime, if crime could be described as 'making good the Isles of Arelith'. Loved when Ghest and Mae teamed up to lay some extended, multi-layered metaphors on unsuspecting unwise folk.

Yeto - Friendly and dependable Yeto.

Melioth - Gardener on the streets, impossibly talented killing machine in the sheets.

- Liunia Lillith, Coronal Vanion, Commander Ievos, Coronal Keryvian Starym, Snow Emil, Narthor, Coronal Laynaruil, Coronal Zathlan Fen'ar, Coronal Clea Sara'faell, Alara Thienfalin, Storm Harthglen, Syrian, Nicodemus, Jadoth.

GNOMES
Terto Tarquin - Ghestaldt's arch nemesis.

Ivory Bushdigger - Disgustingly cute.

Torlarnd Ironfoot (AKA - Smith) - A great leader and ally to Ghestaldt

- Wotan Woodberry, Spixi Sasken, Arrinock.

HUMANS
Shanna Waynolt and the Waynolt family - Life long friends.

Jacob Swift & Astra Starlock (Honorary Human of the day) - Two players I never got enough time to RP with, but two I respected a lot.

Donner - The green this druid was rolling in was /not/ grass.

- Alyssa Veirmont, Jaenne Fearrian, Malak (Cordor Chancellor), Vance Gravelle, Ezra Murann, Amadeo Pnuema, Liberius Kerner, Ambassador Sheng Zao, 'Gytrash', Adhe Threewood, Lacroix.

ORCS
Rhaeg - Two polar opposite characters, who despite interacting with each other a lot never came to anymore more than attempting to destroy each other verbally.

Elder Mudagog - Few interactions, but each one of them was as tense as the last.

- Arakh

DROW
There are actually a few Drow I can recall, but I cannot remember any of their names except for Sol'vyr.

DMs

- GrumpyCat, Titania, Wish, and any that have helped along the way.
Last edited by A little fellow on Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lovin' you is easy 'cause you're dutiful

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Ghestaldt's Final Kudos

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:26 am

I adore Ghestaldt. I am sad that we won't be able to play together on the same race but I suppose hin-dwarf had to do :p You will be sorely missed.

I hope to see you on another character!
<3!

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Atlantahammy

Post by Atlantahammy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:27 am

Aww nothing for this elf?~ /smacked. NVM I AM BLIND.

Also, Astra's a wood Elf ;D

All the same, glad I got to meet him while i could~ Hopefully can get thing thing done to finish everything, soon ;3 and hope we get to rp more come next character~

Mohailo

Post by Mohailo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:40 am

Thank you for the time that Ghestaldt gave to everyone on the server.
He was a great character and he will be greatly missed.
Ps. I love that outfit.
Psh. I'm just a filthy ranger after all

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:41 am

Ah. Ghestaldt Blimth. I remember when the Blimths first started trotting around Cordor. Ghestaldt was all prideful of his Finibelle, his Queen. They would move around and show people how a dwarf was a dwarf.

From there he moved to Brog, where he made a name for himself... And eventually became one of the best Thanes this server has ever seen. He grew the culture of Brogendenstein, he make the Kuldarns a respected force. The Dominion, Guldorand, Darrowdeep... He was such a vessel for so much RP that extended through the entire server. All of it interesting, all of it inclusive, all of it feeling like it fit with the setting.

I said this before... I will say it again. Ghestaldt was a cornerstone of the Arelith servers. He will be missed.

...And Buppi misses him greatly. <3

Mythic
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mythic » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:44 am

Im not crying

Your Crying

Im going to miss the not-so-lovable and eternally-grumpy Thane.

If anyone deserves a reward where you can just pick whatever you want, Its you dude.

An absolutely legendary character, And an even better roleplayer behind the character too.

Axes high by Gorm's side Noble Samman.
Howling around all year long

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:02 am

This is odd. I seem to keep typing things and then deleting them again.

I'm really not quite sure what to say or how. I hope that you found an end for the character which was suitably satisfying. Ghestaldt was wonderful, significant, and well played.

Talking with Ghestaldt, across two of my characters, It felt like there was a fully formed mind behind the beard, a specific psychology that shaped actions and manner.

Eldwyn and Ghestaldt's last meeting is something that will stick in my memory for a long long time. There was something hopeful and uplifting, yet simultaneously crushingly sad in that conversation.

It's been a pleasure.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:39 am

Ghestadlt has been by far my favourite dwarf, and I would have made a dwarf in a heartbeat if I was ever in EuroTimezone long enough. It was a pleasure every time we managed to get together - I think there was only one time it wasn't something political!

You're great, Ghest was great and it is a true shame to see him go - though leaving on a high note is always best. I look forward to what you do next, and you're welcome to Elf it up with us :D

Ghestaldt will be missed.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:03 am

Oh man.

I have no idea how Ghestaldt departed IG, but if there ever was a character that deserved to be imortalized in the module, he sure as hell is one of them.

You managed to do something very difficult with Ghestaldt as a character, something not many could, which was to play someone who was strict, hard faced, stoic, uncompromising, and yet also someone who could be engaged with, and interacted with on a wide spectrum of levels. Add to that some amazing leadership (ooc and ic), the fact that you are a very, very cool dude, and you get what happened to Brogendenstein. It became a hotbed of top quality roleplay and Arelith at its best.

From my side of things, I really cherished the relationship Borin had with Ghest. It was part brotherly love, part elderly respect, and a very good understanding of each other and where they stood, even though they were so different people.

Not much else to say here other than, again, major kudos. And even though I have deleted Borin a good while ago, and have barely been active, learning of Ghestaldts end was still an emotional thing.

I will leave you with a couple of screenshots.

The first time Borin ran into the Blimths,when they were just weeks into the island:

And one of the best moments ever, years after:
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

Intrepid42

Post by Intrepid42 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:05 am

Ghestaldt personified good sturdy dwarven leadership for many years. A truly awesome character, and played to the hilt with poise and panache.

The tale of his deeds before Gorm Gulthyn shall take some telling, and his welcome into the Halls of Dwarfhome thunderous!

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:25 am

Ghestaldt was one of the first real dwarves Wotan met who showed the meaning of dwarven spirit and pride.
I enjoyed the tale we shared and I thank you for it. I hope you get the reward you deserve and eager to see your next character, be they good or evil.
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:02 am

You truly are the embodiment of best Brogendenstein has to offer, IC and OOC.

10/10 would strip for kuldar armor again.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:58 am

*recives IC news about the Thane's death*
Nah, that's some proper bullcrap, saw that old guy sitting at the table just a day before...

*wakes up and visits the forums to find this thread*
WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ALL OF US?! D:

jokes aside .... nah, still. WHY? Probably got a bit bored of Ghestaldt after a while but damn, was he a respectable person IC. I don't know if there is any way to not like that guy for the leading figure he is if you're not exactly opposed to him ... or were, rather. *le sigh*

So all in all good job you semi-erotic hardwood fan. Ghestaldt will be missed as the pillar of stability and good leadership he was around the island.

Amineh123

Post by Amineh123 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:15 am

I remember when I first came to the server, not knowing anything at all, I came across Ghestaldt with his wife just standing in Cordor, slowly explaining to Aminehus basics.

A few days later Aminehus was kicked out of Bendir because he came into the village with this meaty-golem-summon from a book.

Months later, Ghestaldt made a greensteel armor for Aminehus, who now was much more educated and experienced.

Man, your character was iconic, and it should really stay on the server as an NPC of some sort. Bravo.

flower

Post by flower » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:20 am

I stil lremember my first elf with riding galloping over Ghestald and his wife, when both were lowbies. And how Finnibelle has never forgiven him :D

Interium
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Interium » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:21 am

Great character that I had the pleasure of playing with a few times. While I'm sad to see him go I must say his ending couldn't have been more perfect.

My only regret is not roleplaying with you more, but considering everyone who showed up for his end, it makes sense that he was a very busy dwarf!

Big kudos to you for an excellent portrayal of a dwarven Thane. You managed to play a stern and seemingly humourless leader and still have people adore him, not an easy achievement!

Hope you'll return with a new character at some point!

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:49 am

Ghestaldt was the sturdiest dwarf and even sturdier leader who provided a sense of stability to Guldorand and the Dominion. He will be missed in that position.
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:11 am

Ghestaldt was, in my opinion, one of the best Settlment Leaders I've ever seen. Certainly one of the best, long running settlment leaders. A great combination of firm, fair, good sportsmanship, eager to make excellent story and conflict whilst playing his character to the hilt and being a real Dwarf's dwarf. The Last Feast itself was beautifully organized, and felt truly epic. LIke a scene out of Lord of the Rings. It's been an absolute plasure to both DM with him and also to spend time with him playerside. I look forward on seeing what you go onto in the future! You're a true credit to the server.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

LemonBerry

Post by LemonBerry » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:56 am

<3

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:58 pm

Noooooo, Ghestaldt was always a major point of stability on the island. He was Shanna's friend when everyone else was turning their back on her. Theres not enough words to express really how awesome Ghestaldt was, just terrific, I hope you have moved on to something else that holds your attention just as much as Ghestaldt.

very sad day.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:05 pm

Dwarves are awesome and all the players who put effort into faction activities -- Ghestaldt, Falgrim, Urist, and others -- have done a great job of making the Golden Halls an interesting and dynamic site to play. The faction is super welcoming and people are nice to each other and the amount of silly gossip and bullshit is practically nonexistent in the Discord chat. I like you very much. Great that Ghestaldt and his player can get a little bit of rest now!
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Obsidian

Post by Obsidian » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:17 pm

I am so glad that when I first met you, you were not as popular, so I got to steal all your time and watch you grow into the phenomenal player you are today. It is so hard to put into words how wonderful a person, how caring and inclusive you are, and the hidden behind the scenes of you worrying about everyone but yourself time and time again.

You have let no one down and you're cherished by many. Thank you for the lasting friendship we have formed. You keep me going.

Your beloved Finibelle

iria_huntress
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

Post by iria_huntress » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Gonna miss Ghestaldt! It was a blast! You did an amazing job and really brought the dwarf community roaring back!

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:55 pm

I bow to you, sir. It doesn't happen often that a player has such a long and succesfull run and doesn't burn out over it one way or other :-)

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:14 pm

I was joking after 20 years of Thane it was time to die because we knew he wouldn't step down.

I was only kidding :(

Thank you for the kudos add. Will miss the grumpy butt and I'm sure Dazza will mess razzing him as well.

I hope he finds that smile that Andy never saw in the dwarven after life. :) <3
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815