Penitent

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Penitent

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Em-hotep, in the name of the Gods, you wonderful community.

Don't panic, this isn't the end, just the end of chapter 1! (I know at least one player thinks I'm perma. Stop fretting already!)

A shout-out to Wish - they were going to write something into their quest for me, but going down in defiance of slavery suits Skylar just fine, and I figure this gives some other folk chance to hog your attention for a bit. Nothing to stop me participating all the same.

So a couple of you know last night, Skylar finally achieved the first of her goals, to earn the forgiveness of the Mulhorandi pantheon, but more importantly, to forgive herself.
She then may have died spectacularly owing to a failure on my part to understand how a certain redacted transportation mechanic worked, leaving me stuck on Sencliff with a slave and two pirates... and a tactical call to try to see if I could escape having caught a glimpse of Faegwynn's captors. But having fought for so long to save her soul, Skylar wasn't prepared to place it on the line again, preferring the potential of her death to ever be chained again, and this was a cause worth dying for.
So she laid it on the line for Faegwynn and Eirik... with a smile on her face, like Osiris would've wanted.

It seems a pertinent time to give a few folk a shout-out though for making this happen.

Mach. Mach, Mach, Mach. I was all determined for Skylar to be a complete hard-nose, with a backstory that simple and deliciously bad. Why in the name of all that is holy did you have to go and tug on the heart strings?
You really do not deserve a lot of the bad press you get. You gave Skylar her humanity, her feelings, reminded her of what was important and encouraged her to seek her redemption in the first place. And all of that without flirting with her once. What happened when sparks did start to fly was pure magic.
(And before anyone starts, Skylar hit on him.)

Cedric. The cooler upgraded Mach with none of the social skills. He's adorable, he's smart... just a shame he exists so deep in everyone's friend zone! The Baator experience was a really enjoyable bit of RP for me. Watching the crutch that was the augmentation fall away and seeing the core of his persona... Not going to lie, I've been there OOC, it was really poignant. But Skylar had been there IC, too, and it touched her. Expect Skylar to keep coming back to make sure he's still standing.

Rann and Emelina. Because it seems wrong not to put you two together. Thanks for the determined effort to bring Skylar out of her shell and demonstrating there's a wide spectrum between lover, friend and foe. Also, being confusing. Very, very confusing. There's more to come from you two, I just know it. And I thoroughly look forward to it.

DMs Wish and Titania. The former for eternally messing around with every one of my characters, ever... (but seriously, I loved the Spriggan shenanigans and the episode with the dragons!) and Titania for enduring my rope-throwing expertise at the Tungsten Turret. (Sorry, were you expecting a party full of [i[wizards?[/i])

All the freaking Frostblades! I hate to say I'll probably be defecting given how things went down, but seriously, you guys were a riot. I won't be able to touch half the things in the base anyway, so it's all good.

Gabrielle and Ylariel. A discovery into what it is to be a woman that Skylar never would've undertaken without you two. Because of you two, she knows herself, now.

Tahira Waynolt. The little sister in spirit Skylar didn't know she had. Sure helps her not miss home so much when she's got people like that to look out for.

All you fabulous folk at the Arcane Tower for enduring Skylar standing around asking inane questions. I do like to RPly justify my spellcraft ranks! From gender change belts to tentacle freaks to the ins and outs of ley lines and "how to beat up Palemasters", it's been an honest pleasure.
Bonus points to Ivy for making Skylar absolutely terrified of magic, especially wild magic, and the guy whose name I forget for casting that death ward without her permission and making her completely lose her proverbial cool.

Thaddeus for the adamantine that went into Mach and Sabni's swords, not to mention the opportunity to RP with the sort of character that usually stands a long way outside my comfort zone. It was a pleasant surprise.

Aleska for a much-needed dose of self esteem! I'd never have envisioned Skylar being headhunted, or a scenario in which I'd have been able to find a way to RP in Cordor. I nearly took you up on it. But I decided on this incarnation of chapter 2, instead. Still hope you and the Veterans can be a part of it.

And finally Sabni Osirant himself. Knew full well what he was taking on, having been my introduction into the lore of Mulhorand. Joe really should stop being so freaking awesome. You get used to having quality like that around and miss it when it's not there. Not to mention thank you for stepping into the breach when I couldn't find someone to oversee Skylar's penance. The dry humour is an added bonus.
I'm not expecting chapter 2 to be easy, but thank you for making it possible, and also the endless hours you spend crunching numbers for me. Even with the spreadsheet, I find making builds to be really challenging. I really don't know how you do it.

Seneb-te, friends, and I'll be seeing y'all in-game very soon.

Chapter 1 was very much set to this tune.

Hannibal

Re: Penitent

Post by Hannibal » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:50 pm

That's what we're for! Character development. Looking forward to it!