Counting my blessings -- Keorn Fellhammer, Oakmaster Rhys, and Farlinn Birchroot

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

goatte

Counting my blessings -- Keorn Fellhammer, Oakmaster Rhys, and Farlinn Birchroot

Post by goatte » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:19 pm

After the conversations I’ve had on the forum, I realized that I should count my blessings, specifically, the players who have been blessings for the characters that I played on the servers: Keorn Fellhammer, Oakmaster Rhys, and Farlinn Birchroot. I can’t name all of the characters played since February, let alone name the awesome players behind them, but I will make the attempt to honor the players behind these characters.

Xavier Allen, who presented the unique character of a visitor from Sigil. Having loved Planescape: Torment when it first came out, I enjoyed journeying with Xavier.

Alyssa Duvain, whose player stretched her character concept to protect both Keorn and Rhys, when they were at their weakest and most vulnerable, just to ensure that the player behind both would still enjoy playing on Skal. You are much appreciated. :) :( :evil: In all aspects.

Greensleeves Essegui, for bringing one of the more fascinating gnome characters to Skal. I remember fondly, how Greenie used her smarts to sneak out of the Kurgan after the rest of us had fallen to that final ambush. 8-) Thank you for sharing the deck of stars with Rhys and starting him on the path he took that final year on Skal and on Arelith.

Sylmae Tyelle, who befriended Keorn and Rhys, and entrusted Rhys with Newholme, even asking him to consecrate an altar to the Seldarine. It was always a joy to RP with Sylmae. :)

Ysault, the brave Tel’Quessir ranger and guide to the weak. Rhys tended your house until someone swooped in and grabbed it.

Ry’ul, for choosing to become a champion of the Great Oak, and gifting me with the incredible opportunity to mentor another Tel’Quessir to follow the Leaflord and do great things in His name. Rhys is still walking around in those magnificent boots. :D

Azgarin and Suli Mountairn, for portraying different aspects of the Dwarves psyche and inviting a claustrophobic Or’Tel’Quessir along on your dungeon delves.

Greydda Greyhammer, for crafting that beautiful longsword for Rhys when he needed a stronger weapon.

Bardin Strongaxe, for leading from the front, taking the hits for others, and giving Rhys all that work healing up Bardin and later crafting tons of healing kits. *wipes sweat from brow while standing over cook pot*

Duncan Dawnhammer, for taking care of Rhys and taking the time to RP his trials and tribulations with Rhys. Rhys wishes you and your family happiness, safety, and prosperity. :)

And in that group of wonderful players of the Stout Folk is the player who played a Hin who worked so hard to learn Dwarvish and was such a good tailor, in the bargain. I wish I could recall your character’s name, but every other aspect of your character had a positive impact on Rhys’s growth and my own joy RPing Rhys with her.

Ameniel, the Tel’Quessir monk, who journeyed with Rhys, watched over Skal, and crafted a beautiful gem pouch with woodland animals and scenes. Rhys would not part with it for 100 enchanted gem pouches. :)

The half-dragon, half-Tel’Quessir, who took a tour of Skal once upon a time. I wish I had written down her name. I enjoyed RPing with her player very much, especially her love of fine gems for her “hoard.”

Celerforil, the blind mage, who showed how much fun it is to RP with severe challenges, instead of seeking power builds, like many on the server have done. You RPd real strength at your weakest. 8-)

Sylvera, the Drow hunter, who crafted Rhys’s bow and cudgel. You provided a wonderful contrast to Rhys, while ensuring that we both RPd our Tel’Quessir accurately. As mentioned about Ameniel’s gem pouch, Rhys will not give up that cudgel and bow willingly. :D

Harvey of the magnificent helmet. You were the most open and accepting to both Keorn and Rhys, and I appreciate your willingness to stretch your character concept to increase the enjoyment of others.

Temoris and Porkules. What can I say Rhys and I enjoyed journeying with you both and just RPing outside the Trade Post when we crossed paths. One of the better druid PCs on the server and one hard-drinking boar. :lol:

Anuia, the “Witch of the Weald.” Rhys has watched your journey with joy and sadness and joy, once more. I enjoyed the interactions, where Rhys learned that he isn’t the stealthiest of Tel’Quessir, when you would sneak up on him while he was tending the Weald. The player behind Anuia is one of the more skilled players, being able to take Anuia from the highs to the lows, while showing all aspects of a magnificient, but flawed character.

Nadine, the brave druid. Rhys has also enjoyed RPing with Nadine, seeing her growth as a druid and human. He was happy to take the hit from the “Master” that cold day in Skaljard. :)

The young Tel’Quessir, budding herbalist who allowed me to RP mentoring her on herbalism and the Weald. I wish I remembered your character’s name and your player name. You allowed Rhys to grow as a cleric should, mentoring, guiding, and aiding others.

Rake”, who started as a friend with Rhys, but ended as enemies due to the nature of the Power and the Art. Straight up. You rock as a player, keeping it cool when the PvP became intense. Rhys and I miss seeing Rake.

Drago Hille, the brave Hin warrior, who traveled with both Keorn and Rhys. Watching Drago’s growth on Skal and seeing him come into his own on Arelith is a true joy. I still smile when I see all the wooden items Drago has crafted in the Dale. :)

Mach, who played a wild mage so flawed, and yet embraced those flaws to become more and less than the knight he tries to hard to become. I loved watching the Frostblades on Skal and their trials and tribulations. The player behind Mach has given so much to the community by his willingness to create a group that others can join and grow within. Good luck to you with your continued growth. :)

Lowell Geard, later Forst. From Rhys’s perspective, you were the common man’s paladin, one who isn’t limited by being of the nobility. I enjoyed every interaction with Lowell, through Rhys and Keorn. :)

Petra Forst, who threatened to b-slap Rhys if he attacked that foul Gnome corrupter who ensured the slaughter of all those tundra beasts with his foul experiments. It has been a pure joy to RP with Petra through the collaborations and threats that Rhys experienced. :)

The young Tel’Quessir cleric, who tried to consecrate an altar in Skal and spent IG days avoiding the Pastor. Thank you for staying IC when every member of the village tried to kill her. :o And thank you for not raiding the chest in the upstairs at Newholme.

The Tel’Quessir mage who loved his books and stayed at Newholme for a short time. I wrote down his name and put it in the Newholme journal, but the journal was lost when the building came up for rent. I appreciated RPing with a Tel’Quessir mage and sharing Newholme with others.

Found, the Betrayed. To the player, I respected what you were doing with Found, even though you and I ended up at loggerheads due to another character of yours. I wish to apologize for words said, when I believed that IC actions were personal and poor RP, not realizing that you were merely acting according to the culture of the Arelith servers. I was in the wrong to chastise you for acting as others had been encouraged to do. :oops:

Aliel Ester, who among many things tended Newholme when Rhys and I went on vacation for several weeks. Thank you for putting up with Rhys’s attempts to aid Aliel and Mach when Aliel suffered memory loss.

The young human cleric who sent Rhys such wonderful Speedies about her adventures on Arelith. I loved seeing another way to portray a cleric.

Once Keorn journeyed to Arelith, he met the good folks in Brogendenstein

Falgrim Vintergard, who accepted Keorn’s aid with the defense of the city. :)

The Thane for working hard to generate such a wonderful environment for a Dwarf to RP on Arelith.

The Dwarven mage, who recruited Keorn to help with siege engine construction, allowed Keorn to become a part of the city after just arriving from Skal. Keorn was in awe of what you all have done with Brogendenstein. :)

Meriam Fuzzypaw, who gave Keorn that mithril ore for his armor, without seeking payment or trade in return. That was true kindness for an unknown player’s character. :D

And after Keorn returned home to deal with his fate and the justice delayed when he fled from his home, Rhys took his turn on Arelith.

All the kind folk who helped him to fit in to the island and the Grove.

The Archdruid, Beryl, first and foremost, for allowing a not-quite Druid, but cleric of Rillifane Rallathil, to join the Grove and welcoming him as a contributing member, when you did not know Rhys from Adam. Trust given is a joy to the recipient. :D

Edgar, for playing a fierce, conflicted human ranger and leader of the Wardens and welcoming a cleric that you probably did not know what to make of. ;)

Nicodemus, for showing how to play a nautical Tel’Quessir and making some good deals with Rhys. 8-)

Nalee, who gave up her cave, so that Rhys would have a home. Thank you “old wolf.” May you hunt ever more in the fields and forests beyond ours.

Laura Linuith Lee, and the good folk of Guldorand, for inviting Rhys, among the other members of the Grove, to aid Guldorand with its challenges obtaining needed items. I enjoyed the walk that Rhys and Laura took to find adequate sites for those needs. :)

Dr. Emil/Snow, who took the time to RP with a cleric and herbalist.

Buppi, who also took the time to RP along that same line.

Bareknuckle Bill and Elrith, Rhys wishes you both all the happiness. Thank you for including him on your journeys. :)

Mabel Blackwood, the bubbly, young druid, who chose a unique animal shape for her traveling form. You reminded me of the joy of just starting out a character and the superficiality of youth. :lol:

Finally, we come to all the kind folk in the Earthkin community who aided Farlinn:

Tabitha Fuzzypaw, who aided a lost gnome, with his horrendous accent, and who at the same time showed gratitude for Rhys’s donations to the Dale’s stocks. :)

Alexis Hop, who worked to raise that same gnome when he was murdered in the tavern and aid him in finding his killer. 8-)

Short Stacks, who offered a good deal to a poor gnome and his broken common language skills

And finally, Elder Wotan Woodberry, who had the courage to fight for gnomes against oppression. You are appreciated by Farlinn and the player behind him. *Farlinn bows respectfully to Wotan*

To all of you named above, wherever I may go, I would happily RP with any of you whether on an NWN server or over a dining room table with pen and paper. Rock on, folks. And don't let anyone tell you you're having "wrong fun" if you're RPing your character to the best of your ability and sharing the stage with others. Those "gatekeepers" have no sense of fun or balance, folks.

For the DMs and developers, including those who are no longer here, I appreciate the world you created and managed for us the players. When it was just me walking my characters by themselves on the Skal server in the early days, I could see the effort and joy you put into playability, balance, and just those little surprises around each corner. You all don’t get thanked enough. Thank you for hopping online after a hard day at work or school and working to improve our experiences. Arelith is a gift freely given to us the players by the DMs and from the players to the DMs and each other. *all three characters and the player bow respectfully to the Developers and DMs*

There are many more, with whom I interacted as these characters, that I did not name here. Though you are not named, I appreciate you all for the kindnesses you have shown me, the player, and my characters.

I wish you all happiness and success.
goatte
(not a sacrificial one for the egos of other players)

l33tfragiletings

Re: Counting my blessings -- Keorn Fellhammer, Oakmaster Rhys, and Farlinn Birchroot

Post by l33tfragiletings » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:48 am

I adored playing with you when Duvain was at Skal, I couldn't ever meet up with you again but I had a BLAST playing with you < 3

Coltaine

Re: Counting my blessings -- Keorn Fellhammer, Oakmaster Rhys, and Farlinn Birchroot

Post by Coltaine » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:16 am

Always a pleasure Rhys and no hard feelings from our previous encounter. Wish you all the best wherever you decide to wander!

Coltaine/DexPureBard

ColorMeLucky

Post by ColorMeLucky » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Rhys remains one of my most beloved and favourite characters to have roleplayed with on the server, among many. Mach has been working hard and your guidance to him was greatly appreciated. Of all those who played in Skal, know that you inspired much respect both as a character and as a player. :D
Current characters: Mach S. Fryar, Vastin
"I am Silnyir the Silver, and the Frostblades are my scales, wings and breath; and I will be it's heart."
- Mach
"Two hands on the job, that's what Pa says!"
- Vastin

goatte

Post by goatte » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Folks, I forgot Tie Lok on my list. Sorry for that. Thankfully, I was watching a Twtich movie after finding out about Phil from Beamdog and saw Tie. You were one of many Tel'Quessir who made Rhys's journey richer and more interesting.
goatte

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:52 am

Rhys is great, he's always been a friend of Oscar's and the number of Skal trips they had together are great memories. Hopefully get more of a chance to interact with you on the mainland!
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Crookedblossom
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Crookedblossom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Rhys would've made an excellent druid, but his calling led him elsewhere! Beryl has always appreciated his vigilance, his notes and his time tending the Heartwood.

From an OOC perspective, you're a player who is incredibly focused on guiding a narrative for others. It's very easy, sometimes, to become so focused on one's own story that it can be forgotten how others are working to shape theirs. Rhys never falls into that, though. He has always been very willing to be a participant in another's story.

We've dealt with some issues, but Rhys takes them in stride and you as a player offer constructive ways of dealing with those struggles. It has been an inspiration playing with you, for both myself as a player and Beryl as a character, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon! <3

Keep on keepin' on.

Elaetheus
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Elaetheus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Thank you. Xavier missed Keorn, being unable to find him on Arelith. He ended up leaving to Sigil back for good, after realising a few things.

Until we meet again IC!

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Dude, when I got back to Skal the FIRST thing I did as Tam was go looking for the Oakmaster. Given how bad Tam is at being a "proper" druid some days, having someone as wise and engaging as Rhys to advise and prod him and his boar on the right path was awesome and the interactions always interesting.

Sincerest thanks for the top class RP.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

goatte

Post by goatte » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Thank you all for your kind words. I will carry them with me while I take time away from the server. Which I am doing now for a while. I had been enjoying the interactions with others, but Rhys was RP'd "at" by some players from the UD server. Said RPing terminating (not culminating, as culminating implies that there is some effort put forward) in Rhys's death and corpse bashing. After a few text lines by the UDers, Rhys attempts to flee. He was hunted down and killed, as is expected by those who play on the UD server. A different culture, I understand. However, Rhys was used like a rented mule and butchered afterwards. My time is valuable, as is that of the others who play here. I personally gained no value from the interaction/pseudo-RP, and I suspect that few others would have.

So I will be taking time to determine if I want to spend more of my personal lifespan being a punching bag for others who have maximized their builds for PvP. I have read the forums and Discord and seen how much there is an emphasis on PvP and "power builds" here. I'm just not into it, and I think that I am not the "desired customer" of Arelith. Should I determine that this is so, I wish you all happiness and enjoyment where I could find little, except when RPing with the folks named above.

Also, the desire to limit portals is perhaps part of the desire for others to "RP at" folks and force PvP upon others who are unwilling to take part in it.
goatte

DM Sollers

Post by DM Sollers » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:32 am

Please do not use your kudos thread to call out other players. Though I am glad you have the courtesy to omit names on the public forum, this is better-off to be reported to the DM team in a private message. I am not active right now, but there are several others to investigate for you.

Thanks. The server will be here when you come back.
Be kind.

goatte

Post by goatte » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:51 am

To DM Sollers:

My apologies if I was unclear in my words. I was not calling out the other players in the event. I am not angry though it seems my words gave that impression. I'm just disappointed. I had false expectations about what Arelith was and was not. My expectations were shaped by previous experiences with other PW servers and my experiences on Skal when that server had just been stood up in the winter.

When NWN was first release around 2000 or so, I used to play on a server called "The Vast" that was very low magic and very limited in level advancement (after two years of steady RP I had a 7th level Dwarf fighter), and I loved every moment of play on that "no PvP" server because there was a sense of community. I'm not saying there wasn't rivalry and competition at times. It was "friendly" competition. No other player was in a position to take from another player and ruin the other's enjoyment. In balance, the DMs were heavily involved, setting up awesome challenges for low-level characters and nurturing players' development as roleplayers.

Fast forward over a dozen years: I saw NWN: EE was coming out from a YouTube recommendation. Beamdog had their stream showing the Skal server, and I was intrigued. I bought the pre-release version and logged onto Skal. I fell in love with the what the developers had created, the NPC stories, the interaction with wildlife and tribes, and the closeness/smallness that mandated people RP with others and get along to achieve levels. Yes, there were times when barely 10 players were online, but Skal didn't feel empty if you knew where to look. Of course, there were times when characters would appear that butchered other characters with little to no RP. I saw that as an aberration and not a feature on Skal. The DMs were on it and dealing with those "griefing." I really appreciate the kindnesses shown me, as a player, when I brought concerns to the DMs. There were no epic faction wars or "Game of Thrones" themes on Skal. It was small and intimate. You could usually find friends playing interesting characters in the town of Skaljard and go off and have adventures. As a player, I felt respected, no more and no less than was due another human being. My characters were able to grow and become more interesting to me and others.

Fastforward to the end of July:
I brought my main character over to the Surface server. I saw friends' characters that I enjoyed RPing with before. I found a place for my character to grow. And over time I found that Arelith (the main servers) had a strong emphasis on factions and politics. I honestly didn't realize it, despite reading it in the wiki and forums. I thought it was just "one off" things that occurred, not realizing that politics drove everything on the main server. Now, I see that many players want to bring faction politics ("Game of Thrones") RP to Skal. My personal opinion is that would be a massive mistake. However, what happens will happen. I am departing Arelith and hoping to make it a respectful and honest "divorce," a rare thing.

I will speak heresy here. I despise "Game of Thrones." Having read history, I saw that "Game of Thrones" was pretty much a knock off of Italian Renaissance history: the Borgias; the petty kingdoms of Florence, Venice, etc.; the Condottieri (mercenaries, who robbed enemy and employer, alike); etc. George R. R. Martin is a hack writer, IMHO, and can't write likable characters. [Note: I have read his stories since the 1970s and can make an honest assessment, though one with which others will disagree.] I attempted to read the first book and watched the HBO series and saw the only likable character played by Sean Bean, who was an honest man. The rest are characters I don't want living in my head as I read the book or watch the show. I think that the commercial success of "Game of Thrones" has harmed the Fantasy book market. Success draws imitation. It happens. So be it. I can remember watching the episodes of South Park that made fun of all the backstabbing of Game of Thrones; I laughed myself out of my chair. They had nailed GoT and George R. R. Martin.

I am not the "desired customer" for Game of Thrones. I came to fantasy reading Andre Norton's "Quag Keep" and the earlier Forgotten Realms books, such as "Pool of Radiance," which came out at the same time as the Gold Box games from TSR in the 90s (yes, I am that old). The games and the books attempted to tell simple, non-epic stories that grabbed you with interesting characters, both "good guys" and "bad guys." I searched through history to read the original Conan stories from the 1930s. I read Poul Anderson, who gave us "Three Hearts and Three Lions." I read Ed Greenwood's novels from the Forgotten Realms and enjoyed them a lot.

Then I read R. A. Salvatore's stories of Drizzt and Icewind Dale. His stories were new and different, but personally, I began to dislike Drizzt. He's a "Mary Sue" character, who never really loses, though his friend suffer around him, IMHO. Unfortunately, I believe, that spurred interest in Drow characters. I have bought and read several stories about the Drow, including the series that talked about how the Spider Queen went missing and a group of back-stabbing Drow characters went looking for evidence of their evil god. I couldn't stand these characters, but it was what was available and I made the effort to finish them. After that, I will not read R. A. Salvatore (I apologize if I have offended others for my honest opinion) nor tales of evil, byzantine races back-stabbing and intriguing with each other. I felt unclean after reading those stories, and I didn't want to go through life with that in my head, anymore than I would watch the "Saw" movies.

Finally, I read the book "Soda Pop Soldier" by Nick Cole this past week, and it made some things clear for me. There are some moments in the story where the main character is presented with choices in the game worlds where he played. One line stuck with me about how his character wouldn't choose outright murder to advance because that was not how "he played the game, and life is also a game." I believe that RPing murder, torture, and betrayal are mentally "and" spiritually unhealthy. [Please note that this is my own opinion. I am not attempting to alter anyone else's path in life or in the game. I am merely explaining why I must make the choices I make in life and in the games I play. I am not judging how others live their lives. I believe in free will and choice. There is my path, and there is yours. Sometimes they will meet, and sometimes they may veer off at 90 degrees.]

And that is why I will be sending my characters off the server very soon. I appreciate all the kindnesses shown me as a player and my characters this past half year. I wish you all well, even those whose interactions with my characters have been less than satisfactory for me. Because all of you have taught me something about RP and story telling, whether it has been positive examples (the vast majority) or negative examples (a mere handful, though perhaps over-represented to my own viewpoint). I will log on and try to RP with the players of those I consider my friends, as part of their departures. I wish to say "good bye" in a way that honors their RP and friendship these past few months. I respect your right to interject politics and factions into RP, but I request that you be kind enough to let me have these quiet moments with friends. Thank you.

"Great Oak's Grace rest on you."
goatte

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:18 am

It was a pleasure to meet "Oakie". Greenie likes him really much, and he meant a lot for her, in Skally, in the forest, and wherever they have been together.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:17 pm

I had a little bit of rp player side with Oakmaster Rhys and really enjoyed it. I wish you best of luck in the future.

I'm sorry that Arelith as a whole isn't to your tastes, but at the end of the day you have a good point. Everyone -does- have different tastes. Arelith manages to cater to a fairly wide vareity, but not to every taste and there's nothing wrong with that.

I hope you find another server that can bring you as much joy! I'm sure there's one out there for you. And if you ever want to pop back, you're always welcome.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

goatte

Post by goatte » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:58 am

Cuchilla, thank you for your many kindnesses to someone new to the Arelith server. I learned quite a bit about gnomes from RPing with Greenie, and it inspired me to give it a try with Farlinn for that short time.

DM GrumpyCat, thank you for the kind words. I do appreciate them. I am also glad that you enjoyed interacting with Rhys. As a being, I enjoyed walking around in Rhys. I felt myself becoming a better person from those experiences.

I won't be deleting Rhys and Farlinn, but their story will take them off the islands. I will leave it open that they may reappear, but I'm going to take a break from NWN for some time. I honestly, find it hard to imagine I'll find a "no PvP" server that is as immersive as Arelith, with so many good roleplayers, who enrich the roleplay of others. I'm just going to take care of some other hobbies/chores for a time, which I won't know how long will take.

Mercestes, I'm sorry I forgot to mention you and your characters: Gabriel, etc. Fortunately, I saw your name on a post. I absolutely enjoyed RPing with them. I will look back fondly on those times.
goatte

McDuck

Post by McDuck » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:07 am

Awsome. Just awsome, i love the rp we had with . Glad you got the pouch still 😊 i don’t make descriptions much but that one was sure fun to make

Disciprine Come From Within

Post by Disciprine Come From Within » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:16 am

I've only RPed with you in passing so I don't have much of a long history with you, but from someone who as also been pretty jaded about the power of factions, I'd like to share a little bit of what calmed me down and helped me not fret so much about it.

You're right. Skaljard is a completely different place. It has a more wild west feel and it's kind of refreshing to not see major factions entrenched in longstanding roleplay that you feel either a bit lost in viewing as an outsider, or a bit jealous of because you can't interact with it easily unless you're part of that bigger group. On Arelith, factions are everywhere. From adventuring groups that form some banner to stay behind on the small end, to baddies that get together under an evil deity and work to undermine/destroy/conquer the world in their own, to towns and cities, the Arcane Tower, the Heartwood Grove, racial banners, Underdark vs Surface, it's everywhere and impossible to avoid. But when looking at it, there is something that is easy to get lost in when you see all this different lines in the sand.

They don't matter.

Now, I'm not saying that to belittle the rp of factions or to say they don't have impact or depth. They do. But from the lens of role play, it's surprisingly easy to jump into areas, get involved, and get out without really having to fully ally to a cause, or at least not ally to it for the character's lifespan. Factions and attachments to factions are fluid. They will rise and fall. Some will die, new ones will come. Some will cling to life stubbornly and be a shadow of their former selves. Some people have a better talent for this movement than others. Just sort of like real life, factions and their politics are mostly noise that you can be as involved as much or as little as you want. If the fear of missing out comes from faction events, that's the beauty of Arelith. Stuff happens when you're not around. Sometimes a lot of stuff. You don't need to be a part of a faction to experience everything it has to offer. Sometimes it's really nice to not feel tied down to factions and their politics when all you want to do is adventure, fight monsters, and get cool stuff. Involvement is really up to you. Do they have some control? Yes. But it's far less than you think/they say. If you step back and let all that faction noise dissolve into the background, you can find that you can still play almost anything you want without dealing with it at all if you want to.

As for PvP, that's a frustration I think a great deal of the playerbase share. I personally cringe quite a bit when I see the Builds section because it often does feel a bit closer to Roll Play than Role play. Not that I'm opposed to optimization either. Despite what some players/DMs/Devs might tell us, the monsters aren't really easy or hard. They vary wildly in difficulty and there are some critters that fail the "well designed" challenge in underpowered and overpowered ways. Dealing with those overpowered critters is one of the reasons I tend to optimize my own characters because I love to see and interact with the environment and if you build wrong/not optimally then you run the risk of turning into a fifth wheel in some dungeon encounters. This can be very irritating to the fun of group play. The side effect of optimization for the monsters is that consequently, you'll have an edge in PvP because many late game monsters are better built than most players. If you can kill those monsters, then you can probably kill quite a few players. And while it takes some getting used to when it comes to PvP avoidance, it's also very possible. Since my own time back after a long Hiatus, the amount of PvP that I've been involved with is probably down to 2-3 encounters in a single year. If you're going to fight for a cause and push for that cause, you're going to PvP. If you decide you don't want to do that, then you don't have to, and PvP gets easier to avoid. And even when you fear what can come, there are so many options on this server for escape mechanically and you would be surprised how many players will take unconditional surrender to further roleplay.

I'm really sorry that the server has had so many frustrations for you involving politics and pvp. I want to say that these things can be avoided to not impact your enjoyment on this server. It's not easy sometimes and it can be frustrating, but I really hope that you could still enjoy yourself with the variety of amazing roleplayers on this server. You're a lot of fun to play with and I think many others here feel the same way.

goatte

Post by goatte » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:48 pm

Thank you all for the kind comments. I carry them with me, along with the fond memories of RPing with others who respected my characters, and me the player, enough to fit their narrative with mine. You all are cherished.

However, there are some parts of the server environment that I would like to address in my final post.

First, -notells. This setting closes the player off from the OOC consequences of their character's actions, IMHO. It allows them to continue to RP in ignorance of how others feel about their RP. While many claim that they need it to stay IC, I have to wonder how you can possibly RP collaboratively without communicating OOC with other players? Are you a telepath or skilled at reading the other player's emotions or intent from the actions of a digital avatar? Is it that you cannot type quickly enough to communicate IC and OOC? If you can't type fast, that's why we have quickslots. I use almost 1/3rd of my quickslots for emotes and simple communications; they're good placeholders for conversations. And frankly, tells permit me to communicate with the player behind the character and learn how they feel about the story "we" are telling. To me, there are two things that matters in the equation of RPing: the story I am trying to tell and how the "other player" experiences that story. Did I entertain them? Did I give them the space to RP their own character? Did I enable them to tell a better story, one that they chose to tell? Did I force them down a story path that the player was unable or unwilling to travel? I refuse to hide behind the concept of "well, the narrative determined my own behavior as a player" or "I can't RP with distractions." If you consider the other player a distraction, I have to wonder why you choose to RP with other people.

Second, epic-level characters in a general population "have to" have an impact on all around them, whether they wish it or not. Epic-levels shut down choices by their presence in crafting fields and factions; why learn how to master smithing (let alone go through the enjoyable process of mastering a trade) if someone already can make moonblades or svirneblin hammers, etc.? I once read an awesome series of books by Elizabeth Moon, where longevity treatments permitted powerful people to continue to hold onto leadership of planets and solar systems, never making room for other people to grow into positions of authority. It was a stagnant and boring environment that was only changed by those already in power when they realized how it affected the other characters, and the author was a good enough writer to show how boring it was until the change occurred. I played one character on Skal until the early 20s, as far as level, and saw first-hand how just walking through a map section would disrupt the opportunities for other players with lower level characters. I was taking enjoyment from other players just by being on the same map (limiting XP and affecting the monsters encountered), so I shut him down and went to the big island. The closer the character is to 30, the more you have to work to limit your influence on the server, or you end up taking from other players.

Third, I see people concerned about how other players and their characters scatter on Arelith, go off to the other islands or the UD, or the continual "what to do about Skal?" discussion. I have read too many suggestions to force characters together without a discussion of the underlying reason(s) for this diaspora. Suggestion: really take the time to listen to others about why they scattered away from Cordor, Guldorand, or other villages/cities or why they like Skal despite its handicaps. Question: could it be that we all crave the space to tell our stories without others attempting to force their way into our stories or "highjack" them in directions, with which we are not comfortable as players, to be RP'd "at" instead of "with." There is a catch phrase from a movie, "if you build it, they will come." Think about the environment you generate by your character's actions. Are you building something that encourages, let alone allows, others to really tell their story in a way that they "enjoy" telling it? Don't forget you own your character's actions. I have run into players who built environments around their characters that pulled me into them and allowed me to RP within their framework in ways that enriched both my character and my own experiences as a player. I have also been dragged into narratives that used my characters as objects.

The DMs made an awesome sand box, in which the players can build impermanent "sand castles." Make a "sand castle" with "many rooms" for others to inhabit as they choose to do so. Don't try and fence others into your "sand castle"/narrative. That's disrespectful of other's dreams and their valuable time. And don't hide behind the "well my character is a [fill in the blank], and that's what they do" wall. You chose the character, and you should look at whether other players enjoy RPing with you as that character. Take responsibility for your choices as the player and consider others before yourself if you have not been doing that before now.

Finally, I do not want to change the path of the server; I do not have a right to do so, let alone ask that it fit my personal desires for narrative opportunities. These are merely suggestions, from my own perspective, that may allow others to enjoy the server as it is more. Accept or reject them as you will. I will no longer be a part of this world.

I feel that the developers and DMs have done an awesome job creating opportunities for others to RP; generating challenging areas to traverse/explore; and some fascinating NPCs, with which to interact. It is a tremendously difficult job trying to come up with RP opportunities, while acting as judge between players who accuse each other of infractions. It is hard to stay positive when dealing with people who choose to behave in an immature manner. It is also hard to make a game world that has balance enough to entertain, while limiting the influence of metagamers and powergamers on the server. In any situation where there are rules, there are ways to get around them if you care little for the spirit of the rules or the enjoyment or welfare of others. I do not envy the DMs their responsibilities, but I appreciate that they do this. Everyday.

All I can say to them is "thank you for the experiences you all gave me these past few months." However, it is time for me to move on and take care of RL matters that need my attention and work on some other hobbies I've neglected. Know that for all the other players (except for that very small number with whom my interactions were intolerable) and all of the DMs with whom I've roleplayed, my enjoyment, and appreciation, of the times spent with you all on this server will stay with me for the rest of my days.

goatte
"Great Oak's Grace rest on you all."
goatte

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:17 am

Try to keep a Kudos thread to Kudos. The feedback pieces can go into the appropriate thread, or PMed to us.
Please don't feed my sister.