Rauvlin Barrith's Delayed Shelving Kudos

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Rauvlin Barrith's Delayed Shelving Kudos

Post by Durvayas » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:07 pm

House Barrith has been shelved for a month or so now now, and I'm still getting used to playing on the surface. But I feel the need to make a kudos thread for all the people who made the last... two(?) years of my Arelith experience great on my character, Rauvlin, the smith of Andunor.

Its been a wild ride. A rough ride at times; one of longsuffering, sometimes humiliation, sometimes triumph, but always one of change.

Buckle up; Its a long list, and I apologize in advance to the people who I missed, and there are definitely people missed. I can't remember you all or do you all justice, but I tried. T_T

The Temple----------------------
Zestra Fuma'vhid(Appate): The archpriestess of lolth and Valsharess of Andunor at the time of Rauvlin's discovery of apostasy. You gave Talyrrae the permission she needed to be Rauvlin's personal inquisition, which led her to being tortured for IG days until she recanted her ghaunadaurite worship and embrached La'laskra. I know you're still creeping the server somewhere on an alt. I want you to know I thank you for it.

Phaeyr(Falonthas): The Yath Killian hardass that 'brain flushed' Rauvlin with acid as part of her inquisition. Rauvlin feared and hated him for the longest time. She no longer fears him, but she does still despise him on religious grounds. A good example of a male lolthite fanatic. :)

Fadrithiel Zyrustine(Mythical): Favorite elf, bar none. Fadri the semi-feral elf has always been my favorite elf to interact with. So many great memories with that character, from convincing them to rub soot into their skin to be more drow-like(and totally to mess with Ty'al, who hated the mess), to matters of faith and being like Rauvlin's loyal pet and minion. I adore Fadri.

Ty'al: A nemesis of sorts at one point. A great killian, a great warrior, a great rival for Rauvlin before she got embroiled in politics. I enjoyed our dynamic as barely cooperating religious rivals who both worked in the Melee magthere. You rolled him, I'll miss him.

Jadiira Khal'naust(winkinblinkin): One of my favorite archpriestesses, played by one of my all time favorite players. It is always a pleasure to RP with you, and Jadiira was no exception to this rule. You're always willing to help people try new things and advance other people's storylines. Keep being awesome.

Aelif Bana(magistrasa): The unluckiest priestess I've ever met. It seemed like very time you got online, someone else had implicated your character in something new. Nevertheless, she was a very interesting and fun character, and I hope to see her again when Rauvlin returns.

Yazreanna(250dragon): A fun lolthite priestess. I enjoy our RP.

Ilphaeryl Xun'viir(Charonsclaw): You may wonder why you're up here in the temple section rather than with the rest of the Xun'viir down the list below. Its because most of my time RPing with you, was RPing with you being archpriestess of the temple. To that end, I thought your character was a lot of fun, even if she is was a filthy lolthite house traitor and Rauvlin still thinks she turned on her own. <3

House Xal'rae:-------------------------
Malixtra Xal'rae(chaoticcuriosity): The archnemesis of House Barrith, the existencial threat, the purger, the lolthite zealot bent on La'laskran demise or subjugation. An excellent drow matron and a great antagonist for the last remaining La'laskrans in the UD during, and after, the purge. A great player and character.

Sheen Xal'rae: Another of Rauvlin's little rivalries, sheen was a lot of fun to have a feud with. A complex character, and great rival. I'll look back on the backstabbing during the giant assault on the gates fondly. I still kind of regret taking the bizarre rescue from captivity to jadoth and stellen too early. I should have waited longer and let that play out and given you guys more satisfaction of the capture. Sorry. V_V

Valdrin Xal'rae(Xanos950): Ooh Rauvlin hated you. I've given kudos to you before, but I'll do it again. A great mage, a great drow male, and a great religious opponent. 10/10 would have a glaring contest again.

Jahai: You were here only briefly, but I really enjoyed your pyromaniac true flame sorc. Miss you.

House Xun'viir-------------------
Talyrrae Xun'viir(Crimsonthorns): Where do I begin? Talyrrae was Rauvlin's mentor in so many ways. She looked up to her as her matron, but more than that, Rauvlin practically idolized her, and certainly fell in love with her. She was Rauvlin's world for such a long time. Talyrrae's fall from proverbial grace, when she was seduced into becoming pacted by Nathryna, broke something in Rauvlin's psyche. She could never accept that Talyrrae had made her decision on her own at first, and she did all she could to try and 'fix' Talyrrae, but Talyrrae broke her heart, and Rauvlin never truly recovered emotionally. She's become bitter, and her hatred of that which she once loved has cemented in stone her undying devotion to Shairin, the faithful priestess of the faith who turned on their matron to save her from a life of slavery. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for taking a chance on my PC and getting her into the house, and then indulging in my DM events, and being such a big part of my PC's life.

Phaerlyn(Our Beloved Rodent. R.I.P.): You aren't here to read this, and I'm sad for that. You were magnificent. I miss you. Rest well my friend.

Jezrala Xun'viir(AnselHoenheim): One of Rauvlin's more tragic relationships. Jezrala was a sister to Rauvlin, but one she always had to keep at arms length because of her inability to render any real trust to lolthites. The two were emotionally involved, but following the circumstances of Rauvlin's imprisonment, the pair were never the same. Jez was a great character, and I hope we get the chance to interact again.

Jaelryn Xun'viir(RedSoul): The quirky, hilariously broken biteback barbarian before they ate any nerfs at all. Jaelryn was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed the comradery while it lasted. Very memorable character. I remember the art piece "A thousand Jaelryn's" that she left Rauvlin, vividly.

Iimeth Xun'viir(Ork): The devout monk. I enjoyed his concept, and was sad when he stopped playing Iimeth out of frustration with certain other players. I hope to play with you again in the future though Ork!

Mebrith(Rorin1979): Mebrith was an ancient character. Wise beyond her years because she had seen it all, and the character was ever an endless fond of historical information about the drow of Arelith. I really liked her. She had a cool standoffishness, but was always willing to help a good drow cause, and while not cowardly, avoided fighting, but at the same time, in a fight, was extremely lethal with a well earned reputation for it.

Ixen Xun'viir(Ixen Xun'viir): Ixen. Poor Ixen. I really liked this character, and thought that her introduction was neat as heeeell. A deep character. I miss her.

Xulric Xun'viir(dudicus_maximus): My duuuude. What can I say, but helpful and a lot of fun to be around. Unfortunate how our character loyalties split following the collapse of Xun'viir. But thats how the underdark goes. It was fun playing with you from the other side(even if he was a filthy traitor, like some of the best drow are).

Ilmryn Xun'viir(Perkele): Rauvlin's best minion and partner in treason, we had a lot of good times during the xun'viir days. For the life of me, I don't know why he supported Rauvlin so much, especially given their very rocky start. It was a friendship borne of rivalry that became a partnership that led to much hijinks. I loved playing with Ilmryn, and I was oocly sad when he rolled.

Wheua Xun'viir(Goodlife): Rauvlin hates wheua as much as I as a player love the character. Wheua is great. She's creepy, she's crazy, she's conniving and unpredictable. Being cursed by her was a lot of fun, and I'm sad that our time zones suck too much for us to be able to play as much as I'd like to.

House Barrith--------------
Shairin Xun'viir Barrith(Rorin1979 again): What can I say? Rauvlin is fiercely loyal to Shairin, and I expect the character will eventually die some heroic death for her matron someday. I love playing with shairin. She's the calm temperance and calculated diplomat to Rauvlin's fiery temper and gruff demeanor. The two work well together with Shairin as the brains, and Rauvlin the brawn. She's a magnificent La'laskran matron. Cold and calculating to the max like a good drow, but with a grand ruthlessness. I look forward to more RP with you Rorin.

Zi'on Barrith: We didn't have you in the house for very long, but it was a pleasure while we did. Very helpful character, excellent spy. One of the better examples of a drow male played well.

Alauniira Xun'viir Barrith(Brandon Stark): Alauniira was great fun. Its tragic that she fell because of Rauvlin's feud with house Zau'myr, and Rauvlin never truly forgave herself for the circumstances of her demise.

Yylv'arianna Barrith(Knight Knuckle): Ylv'arianna was a lot of fun. Sneaky drow are the best kind of drow, and she had a fun personality. Hope to play with you again.

Ginjra Barrith(prettyprettyprincess): It took us a while to get Ginjra to join the faith, but she was still an excellent warrior for the house the entire time. A lot of fun playing with her, its a shame that her build was eviscerated by the kensai changes and you had to retire her. Looking forward to your next character.

Filfaere Barrith(Aerosilver): Alas, time was never really something you had a lot of(or a stable connection), but Filf was a lot of fun to have around. Sneaky drow == best drow.

Aly'arra: The house's own infernal warlock. A bit dour as a character, but she was fun.

Avernala Barrith(ofmeeseandmen): The plucky new acolyte of La'laskra that we had until RL stole you away from us. You were like a daughter to Rauvlin, and she was always getting into mamma bear mode when people would vagely imply bad things would happen to the temple's newest acolyte. I loved your character's personality, but alas, RL stole you from us too. Hope to see you return sometime.

Helayne Barrith(A Mysterious Mothhat): <3 Helayne was the best religious skeptic lolthite that house Barrith ever recruited. It took a very long time for us to get her to convert to La'laskra, and she had the best RP of someone truly grappling with an emerging crisis of faith, with a desire to belong that was held back by the healthy skepticism of trust that any good lolthite should have. Overly suspicious of others, never wanting anything from Rauvlin that could be considered charity because she didn't want to owe her any favors, and a healthy(if misplaced) fear of Rauvlin, made her an absolute pleasure to RP with.

Aniewiel Xun'viir/Barrith(Overtheshoulderboulderholder): The perpetually perky wannabe lich. Her overt cheerfullness was always fun among a house of drow that tended to be overly grim and serious. A good balancer for the mood, as she could be silly at times, and that was great.

Alyara Tor'ana(EnigmaticSpirit): The only core member of House Barrith that I don't think we ever converted to La'laskra. She was sneaky and subtle, she was the definition of a drow shadow. She was a pleasure to RP with. I hope to play with your future characters.

Savrix: The last member to join house Barrith, but always keeping yourself on the periphery for RL time reasons, and IC reasons, I'll always treasure the smithing RP we had when Savrix was Rauvlin's apprentice.

Feng: One of Rauvlin's several slaves, but definitely the one that gave her the most trouble, I enjoyed her unbreakable spirit and the degree with which she was able to give Rauvlin a hard time while in captivity. I'm honored you decided to let Rauvlin be the one to permakill her after Feng went too far and brought out Rauvlin's inner Mamma bear by trying to kill her precious underlings. You're an excellent RPer.

Myeko: Another of Rauvlin's slaves, one that got herself enslaved due to her naiive fascination with the drow of sibiyad and overly trusting nature. One of the better played slaves, she was easily swayed by threats of punishment, and was scared all the time. Breaking her faith and molding her into an idea slave was a lot of fun RP. Tragic that she got herself executed for causing that DM slave revolt event, but what a great way for a slave to go.

Ellie Howlsong(frozensolid): Slave turned house retainer and sister of the faith. Rauvlin distained your character for the longest time, then grew to respect her, then even like her a bit. A complex character, and a lot of fun shaping how she turned out.

Grayval: The owner of Ellie and late joiner to house Barrith, Gray was a lot of fun. It was around her joining when house Barrith was almost a shadow house, with a good seven members, and well over half of them all sneaks. Sneaky drow are the best drow, as I said. She was great.

Tathnolu: The spellsword equivalent of Rauvlin. A true La'laskran zealot, and a great male drow. He reminded me a lot of Ilmryn in his unswerving loyalty to the cause, and I always enjoyed our time together, howerver fleeting it sometimes was.

Quillian: More an honorary member of house Barrith, Rauvlin is deeply fond of her niece, and I'll never pass up an opportunity to play with your characters. They're simply far too much fun.
--------

Everyone Else:

Eleon Trisvaria(memelord): I don't know how Eleon and Rauvlin remained such close allies, and even possibly friends, without Rauvlin realising that Eleon was a warlock. She was a fun character to interact with while she lasted. I'm sorry that the circumstances of your retirement were as bleak as they were, but kudos to a great character.

Phaere Zygorkh'Ga(soundofastream): For your priestess of ghanadaur approaching my PC in the oozemaster's house, giving me the will to go through with Rauvlin's worship of Ghaunadaur and not switch to lolth from day one. You affirmed her faith to her, and I remember our interactions were great fun, however short.

Lomith Grelles(Noromical_Kinsara): Every great character is defined by the first enemy they ever make. This was Lomith. The lolthite Yochlol pacted warlock matron, who destroyed her smithy the first time, and forever instilled a burning hatred of all abyssal warlocks that would forever color Rauvlin's interactions with lolthites and warlocks for the rest of her existance. I owe so much of Rauvy's base personality to RP I felt out with you, and I hope you know that.

Jagga Khal'naust(standingontheshouldersofgiants): An excellent drow male. Ever so sneaky, ever so business savy. Always probing for signs of weakness, always weaving intrigue and buying and selling information. I really like him as a character, and hope you'll still be playing him, or something like him, when I return to the UD as Rauvlin.

Sinnara and Vierna(probablyamage and charonsclaw): The mercenary dynamic duo. You guys are great characters, and there was never a dull moment dealing with you, nor ever a moment I would ever prefer to cut short. A pleasure to play with you both.

As'bel Dore(A_mystery_clock): Easily one of my favorite humans. As'bel(As'bae <3) was a deep character with a great reputation, and a great relationship with Rauvlin. The time we spent in Sibiyad together, when Rauvlin was working for her as her bodyguard 'the Arachknight' was the most fun RP I had the entire time she was exiled. As'bae was the one that convinced Rauvlin that humans were not all to be culled and only for slaving. They could be valuable allies.

Stellen Varg: A great character; One of the most confusing humans Rauvlin ever met. The two worked together under As'bel when she made Sibiyad her base. He introduced her to the glory of chocolate chip cookies(she'll never admit how much she liked them), and further reinforced As'bel's message about humans being valuable allies at times. Never was that more clear than during the Xal'rae purge when he got...

Jadoth Dawnfire(capncuddlepants): A certain often bewildered elf that Stellen Varg got to rescue Rauvlin at a most opportune time, their first encounter would forever color their relationship. Rauvlin always held a certain kind of distain for Jadoth(since he's an elf), but never viewed him as enough of a bother to actually be worth killing, and her respect for Stellen kept her from actually trying. I really like Jadoth as a character, the jaded elf is fun, but alas, its hard to get a lot of RP between an elf and a drow. Maybe we'll hang out on one of my alts sometime.

Nihlarra(jedimindtrix?): Badass La'laskran mercenary that freed Rauvlin and got her to Sibiyad. She was awesome, but our interactions were incredibly brief.

Sarina Dragonsong(Echohawk): I loved Sarina. What started as a facination became a working partnership, which became a friendship. She reminded me of As'bel in all the best ways at first, until she came into her own, and I loved how for the longest time, it was never clear if their alliance would be compromised by Rauvlin being given orders to assassinate her. Indeed, Rauvlin did everything she could to prevent such an order from being given. Best frands.

Vasiira Mae'rahel(Industrial Strength): Vaaaass!("Booooss!") Vasiira was awesome. The jaded mage who doesn't have the patience to deal with your crap, with ideas that could be considered heresy, if anyone was listening, and if anyone had the guts to challenge her. She was a lot of fun.

Eliisza Hallove(Alu-fiend): Rauvlin's courtesan of choice. An excellently played bard, and one of the characters that taught Rauvlin that she has a definite preference for tieflings over anything else when hedonism strikes. Had a lot of fun with the character, and thought that Eli had surprising depth beneath her aloof exterior. A good character all around.

Afya: Another one of Rauvlin's favored tiefers, and one that hammered home her preferences. Despite being demonblooded, which Rauvy tends to prefer fiendish tiefers.

Morfin Cys'varine(Capt.shadow): The true unsung hero of the underdark, the man that keeps the proverbial trains on time. Morfin has been running the logistics of the devil's table for as long as I can remember, and he was always instrumental in getting anything big done, and you usually had to go through him to pay house taxes. Be it building a gate, running the spider legion, to trying to get enough fireball wands for an offensive against a settlement, Morfin was there, and always helpful. The server needs more people like him.

Aunilarra Zau'myr(dirtydeity): Communication issues aside, Aunilarra was a great character to feud with, and the RP was of great quality I feel. I enjoyed that I managed to get a peek inside the more complex workings of Aunilarra towards the end, which greatly helped me understand them as a character, and why they persecuted the Barriths so hard. Good stuff.

Lucatiel Dermannes(Nik): Last but certainly not least in this list. Luca. My dear Luca. Bodyguard to one of Rauvlin's most hated enemies, our characters became sparring partners, then sort of associates, then allies. Finally, despite personal misgivings on Rauvlin's part, secret lovers(for political gain). The emotional connection that appeared between the characters confused, and continues to confuse, Rauvlin, giving her mixed feelings of disgust for herself and humanity, and an inkling of attraction to them, despite really, really hating the idea of drow and humans bonding in that way. She hates the idea of being a filthy degeneratelike Grayval <3 and the idea continues to eat at her. Only time will tell if she moves on past the experience, or embraces it. Stellar RP from you, very enjoyable.

Honorable mentions:
Sabine and the iron order of murdering elves, other members of As'bel's sibiyad takeover group, Amadeo, various drow, kobolds, and other UD PCs, and this list would absolutely not be complete without....

Midnightsun(or binary-sunset? One of you two) and the 6 or so surfacers that chased Rauvlin through stonehold(to a benny hill soundtrack) desperately trying to kill her in reprisal for her attack on greyhammer every bit as much as she desperately did not want to get killed. That will forever be one of my favorite moments and stories from arelith. "Greyhammer sends its regards"

I'll see you people on Rauvlin again in a good.... five(?) months hopefully.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

FrozenSolid

Re: Rauvlin Barrith's Delayed Shelving Kudos

Post by FrozenSolid » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:49 pm

It was a lot of fun to be in the Barrith house and great to be apart of a faction that had so much drive and direction as well as making considerable efforts to include people. From Ellie's position as a Slave there was almost always something to do, or someone dragging her off to do tasks whether it be like fighting, or even just serving guests during a meeting.

The engaging RP was excellent for the development of Ellie's story from the big stuff to the little stuff. It was awesome.

I'll miss not having Ellie around to bring back with the Barrith's! But I think her life has gone a new direction, and I like to keep moving on concepts.
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:55 pm

Only one thing. I was never a Barrith. I was only ever a Xal'rae. A pleasure nonetheless. :)

Shaeris

Post by Shaeris » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:00 am

Ngl, between the two characters I played at the time, those days were some of the most fun I've ever had in the UD.

Hope you enjoyed that little bit of rivalry with Zarune that spawned over a bar fight of all things. :D

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:45 am

FrozenSolid wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:49 pm
It was a lot of fun to be in the Barrith house and great to be apart of a faction that had so much drive and direction as well as making considerable efforts to include people. From Ellie's position as a Slave there was almost always something to do, or someone dragging her off to do tasks whether it be like fighting, or even just serving guests during a meeting.

The engaging RP was excellent for the development of Ellie's story from the big stuff to the little stuff. It was awesome.

I'll miss not having Ellie around to bring back with the Barrith's! But I think her life has gone a new direction, and I like to keep moving on concepts.
Hopefully one of your new concepts will run into us down the line. :)
EnigmaticSpirit wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:55 pm
Only one thing. I was never a Barrith. I was only ever a Xal'rae. A pleasure nonetheless. :)
I was hoodwinked all along!
Shaeris wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:00 am
Ngl, between the two characters I played at the time, those days were some of the most fun I've ever had in the UD.

Hope you enjoyed that little bit of rivalry with Zarune that spawned over a bar fight of all things. :D
<3
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Capt.shadow

Post by Capt.shadow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:01 pm

I return and the longest running drow smith is gone :(
you where alwas there, alwas with one of the big houses and alwas ALWAS! in my reports, dont know if you had any idea but morfin had a short list of drow he kept an eye on, you where one and when the matron tally thing happend and you vanished morfin did acutaly make an attempt to try and bring you back on safe grounds, but kudos not one agent found you behind that waterfall XD.

if you ever need someone for your next project accountancy drop me a line, i do miss my bookish rp. :)

BlossomSeason

Post by BlossomSeason » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:20 am

<3

Even though I was mostly going along with Nathryna's plot because I enjoyed it, part of me also let Talyrrae be converted to Lloth because I had done pretty much everything else I could've with her, and I wanted to see the conflict and chaos her sudden 180 degrees turn would cause.
I'm glad I did it.

Hope to see you guys around again someday! I'm still about, on new characters.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:36 am

Quite a list! Lot of history here.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.