I love (dying in) the Lowerdark

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

magistrasa

I love (dying in) the Lowerdark

Post by magistrasa » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:49 am

This kudos goes out to the devs who have done a spectacular job at making the lowerdark absolutely terrifying. After a couple visits, I thought I could handle it easily. I thought I could predict the spawns and just farm my way to level 30 no problem. Then I drop into a map expecting a couple of wimpy little cloakers but, oh. Oh God. Those are beholders. What are beholders doing here? I didn't even think to look for them, they snuck right up on me. Oh dear God, my minions have been desummoned and I can't cast any spells. Cue a frantic sprint to the door of the cloaker spiral which is, um, locked - and cue my horrific bloody death.

Today alone, I feel like I've lost years of my life. Getting surprised by beholders while fending off illithid, narrowly escaping the area and hiding away, my partymate and I standing in stealth too scared to move for a whole tick, creeping into the next area only to find MORE beholders there ("Beholder Death Tyrant" - could you have come up with a more terrifying sequence of words?), getting stunned and surrounded and chewed down to 20% HP only to be saved by a clutch timestop from my adventure buddy, fleeing for safety only to bump into some x-ray vision aboleth - this may just be the copious amounts of caffeine I consumed to cope with the stress, but my heart is honestly STILL pounding.

By far, these encounters have been the most fun I've had playing this crazy game. I had to use every tool I had to survive and nothing beats the satisfaction of knowing that I survived the unsurvivable. So thank you, devs, for creating the code that allowed that beautiful taste of poisoned serendipity to be inflicted upon me. You wonderful monsters.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

mazeofthorns

Re: I love (dying in) the Lowerdark

Post by mazeofthorns » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:48 pm

Oh yeah, the lower dark is beautiful to look at with the amazing mushrooms and crystals but deadly. I happily join in the kudos to the dev team and the DM's come come down to "play" with us when we venture down there.

Bravo!!
KALYIN -- "Black Cobra will aid your injuries should you stand close.... or he may strike you, depending on mood."

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:20 am

I have a secret obsession with the lowerdark. <3

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:47 am

It definitely is a very beautiful and rewarding place to explore!