To Arcane Tower Ritual Shenanigans

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Orian_666

To Arcane Tower Ritual Shenanigans

Post by Orian_666 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:46 am

Massive Kudos first and foremost to Angela Amana for being the center and creator of months of RP and effort that culminated in an awesome and hilarious event.

Extra Kudos to DM Wish, and I think DM Roku?, for their input in dealing with the devastating result of choosing a 93 instead of a 64. What started as some standard Ritual RP among players, ended up being a massive event that ended with the defeat of a truly terrifying Construct of components and wild magic =D So big up to the DMs for that, it was awesome =D

To everyone that attended, observed, and helped, too of course.
Jacob Swift.
Jadoth Dawnfire.
Astra Starlock.
Olivia Van Graff. (thanks for keeping us all good and hasted ;) )
Jasper B. Highfen.

Just remember folks, watch out for those pesky wild mages thinking they're helping but instead pick the wrong surge and blow up half a room looks around nonchalantly, whistling

-XXX-

Re: To Arcane Tower Ritual Shenanigans

Post by -XXX- » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:34 pm

That was ~SO~ much fun!
When Patrick accidentally (or was it?!) blew up a third of the Warden's hall I was all like "10/10 would watch again! Instant replay plz!!! XD"

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:40 pm

I’m glad those things are getting put to use!
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm adding my own Kudos onto here...

Patrick, Jacob, Jadoth, Astra, Lissa, Veritas, Chaesendra, and even Thulk, for the direct contributions to the formation of the final ritual. You have all helped me shape this year-long journey in ways I never expected.

To catch people up, Angela's become a wizard, after a decade of RP and research, consulting the more brilliant minds she has access to. It started with the spark of an idea when she was tattooing runes on Mathias Blackmoore, to help curb his own nature, and she started wondering about her own.

JediZero, you and Jacob have been incredibly supportive of this endeavor, IC and out, as Angela and I drove ourselves a little mad.

Chaesendra, you're the one that made this whole thing bloom with the mindwalk. I still re-read through that on occasion, just enjoying the ideas explored. She's going to learn mindwalking too!

Thulk, for being willing to stare down a dragon-possessed flameborn that thought of you as nothing more than combustible flesh, and the RP you did with Meraneamalisafineam was amazing, too.

Lissa, your descriptions are second to none! Condensing your rituals still left it with 3,500 characters! You brought together mages to help build what Angela couldn't, and constructed the final masterpiece...

Which Patrick blew up in what I think is the funniest mistake I've ever seen. That's covered above, but to Orian... A special thanks to you for coming back to us after Anden, and for being an Archmage.

Jadoth, I don't know how much Angela has been helping you, probably not a lot, but helping you control your problems has helped her learn to control her own.

Astra, your divination lessons and sight helped Angela to understand little bit more about her nature, enabling Patrick to come up with the final solutions.

Veritas, you've been a fount of inspiration from the beginning, and your book is what gave me the idea for there being a vestigal dragon's mind in her head to begin with. I blame you!

Olivia and Jasper, I'm fairly sure we would have died in that construct without your help, and your aid during the ritual and afterwards was invaluable.

Finally! I would like to thank... Salasker Dusk and Jolly Fiddlesticks for being Angela's first two mentors on the server, your legacy went into this as the final Sphere was being prepared.

I'm going to paste a few descriptions here later, once I get them out of my logs, they're too good not to share.

I love you all!
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:24 pm

While I'm sad that I missed this chapter of your story, I'm still delighted~ in knowing that it's still going on, and Angela is going strong after all this time.
She better not have learned everything that it means being a wizard by the time I get back in the Tower or I'll be hella pissed!
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:57 pm

You sir better
Iceborn wrote:get back in the Tower
right now
Iceborn wrote:or I'll be hella pissed!

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Iceborn wrote:While I'm sad that I missed this chapter of your story, I'm still delighted~ in knowing that it's still going on, and Angela is going strong after all this time.
She better not have learned everything that it means being a wizard by the time I get back in the Tower or I'll be hella pissed!
I'm flattered that you think Angela can learn everything there is about being a wizard. Pretty sure that's one of those impossible quests, but always an ideal to strive for!
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Public Tower Discord
Tower Library

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:45 pm

Finally found those descriptions.

My first version:

*what follows is the full disclosure of the spell- and runeforms that make up the Containment Sphere. When any sort of magical sight is used on them, the runeforms become three-dimensional, loosely making the same form and shape as the containment sphere. They can be rearranged as needed for examination*

Jolly Fiddlesticks' Inanimate Object Weave Access: This longwindedly named spellform designates that an inanimate object may be granted the same access to the weave that living beings may posess, if the biological markers that the weave reacts to are replicated in the object, thus giving it lifelike control and manipulation of the Weave.

Salasker's Containment Field: A spellform that is simple and effective, this outlines the process of setting up a field that a magical entity may reside in, and uses divinitive means to evaluate the total amount of energy contained therein. When total energy levels exceed the parameter, an expulsion of energy in the form of a standard shield spellform occurs, draining and dissipating the energy.

Chaesendra's Mental Anchor: The most complex of the runeforms, the rest of the paper is crammed by this one set of magical directives, created to mimic the environment of a mind. Primarily used to practice mindwalking without a mind, it also provides a place that a mind can exist without a physical form to house it.

And then the amazing things that Lissa Whitehorn turned it into:

Chaesendra's Mental Anchor

To anyone versed in Arcane study, this is obviously a two-dimensional representation of a three- dimensional spellform. The three most obvious draconic phrases that are written as part of the spellform are: Madeec (Mind), Ziechgounrak (Walking), and Baystgoidr (Pocket).

This is the most complex of the three runeforms as there seem to be five separate layers of runes on top of each other. To most, this would look like a chaotic mess, but to those skilled in enchantment, simply focusing on the runeform for a short time, the chaos seems to evolve into order.

Once an Enchanter has given order to the chaos, they are able to look deeper into the forms and note what is, in fact, a miniature pocket plane. The plane is not meant to contain real matter but is used to allow a safe place for a mind to exist during a mindwalk.

Jolly Fiddlesticks' Inanimate Object Weave Access

To anyone versed in Arcane study, this is obviously a two-dimensional representation of a three- dimensional spellform. The three most obvious draconic phrases that are written as part of the spellform are: Ziiefii (weave), Wcheliipoyhura (flame-born), and Erakiche Elierae (Angela Amana).

This longwindedly named spellform designates that an inanimate object may be granted the same access to the weave that living beings may possess, if the biological markers that the weave reacts to are replicated in the object, thus giving it lifelike control and manipulation of the Weave.

Final touches on attuning this spellform to the desired target have been completed.

Salasker's Containment Field

To anyone versed in Arcane study, this is obviously a two-dimensional representation of a three- dimensional spellform. The three most obvious draconic phrases that are written as part of the spellform are: Bekir (Energy), Fethos (shield), and Tyunssunbaedrunrak (dissipating).

This spellform is simple and effective, in that it is designed to set up a field that a magical entity may reside in. The difficulty in long-term storage of a magical entity is the buildup of energy, so this spellform also uses divination means to evaluate the total amount of energy contained therein. When total energy levels exceed the override parameter, an expulsion of energy in the form of a standard shield spellform occurs, draining and dissipating the energy.

Anyone familiar with the original design would notice a fourth primary draconic rune: Stesstetyunrak Yfiihuhuuntyi (cascading override). These additonal runes seems intricately woven into the original spellform.

The one danger of the original design was that it did not take into account that the magical entity may be able to hold back the residual energy until it can release it all at once. A cascading override was added to give the total energy numerous places to dissipate (similar to a stacked set of sieves).

Final touches on attuning this spellform have been completed. The spellform now allow for the proper amounts of energy distribution, with a maximum of half or 0.75 GWU (gnomish weave units) released at one time (this prevents an infinite loop of energy distribution). Raw GWU < 1 is generally seen as only harmful to small creatures and only, perhaps, uncomfortable to halflings.

Large Runic Circle

This is a large runic circle which seems to be intricately connected to three, smaller, but more detailed spellforms. Careful examination will allow one to detect that there is a path and, effectively, a story that is told by the larger circle as it intermingles with the smaller spellform.

There is an obvious start, and that is with the XXXX spellform. This rune starts larger (almost the size of one of the spellform, which one can detect when they notice the difference between the connecting circle and the spellform) but gets smaller as if it is funnelled into the next one.

The rune that begins at the containment is a spiral that continues into an infinite loop of which, some may recognize as a nautilus shell. Careful examination of this form will show that there does seem to be small, but obvious 'exits' to this spiral and even an endpoint.

The next stage of the circle has the 'exits' and 'endpoints' of the previous rune connect directly into the Mental Anchor spellform. The entire complex spellform and runic circles seem to be funnelling all the energy into this one.

All of these were turned into a large circle with three in the center, pointing to an object they were designed to form into. That one, I built from Lissa's descriptions, into a much fuller version of what I wrote originally.

Containment Sphere

Something's staring back at you from this orb. There's no eyes, but you can feel it, like someone starting at you from a dark corner of a bar. There's a flash as a shield spell flares to life and fades. Occasionally, that happens again. Approaching it puts that shield up visibly, a shimmering barrier that protects it from mundane interaction. To the layperson, that's all they ever get from this.

To the magically educated, this device is far more.

A basic grasp of spellcraft shows that this is meant for containing something, and that the Shield spell is part of that. There don't appear to be any wards keeping the contained thing in, inferring this is a voluntary containment. It looks very fragile and complex, an object of importance to those who made it, with little that's ornamental about it.

An educated grasp of spellcraft yields that this object is taking in power from the Weave around it, the same as any living being would. The power is being processed into evocational energies, ceaselessly, and the Shield spell is pulling the power from the spells, using that energy as it's source. The process is ceaseless, without further pattern to it. There's been a lot of effort put into making this an efficient process that doesn't make it a beacon for anything with magical senses.

An advanced grasp of spellcraft reveals this is a mind-support system, meant to allow a purely mental entity to exist without a body, alive without physical form. Parts of this support can be used to identify the mind they're taken from, identifying itself as The Eldest Flameborn. The entity is what's changing the Power into evocational energies, vestigal Fireballs and Meteor Storms, Darkness and Thunderclaps. This is on such a small scale that it's easily overcome by the repeated Shield spell.

Mastery of spellcraft would confirm this was made by several authors, masters working together to create this work of magical art, beautiful in it's complexity and efficiency. The full story revealed: A vestigal mind, draconic in nature, was pulled from another's mind voluntarily, and given the ability to constantly process magic. This leaves the vestigal mind in a state of bliss and fulfillment, it's original purpose and directive to pressure a Flameborn to constantly use their evocational magic.

There's a danger in long-term storage of a magical entity is: buildup of energy, so this spellform also uses divination means to evaluate the total amount of energy contained therein. When total energy levels exceed the override parameter, an expulsion of energy in the form of a standard shield spellform occurs, draining and dissipating the energy. A possibility that the magical entity may be able to hold back the residual energy until it can release it all at once was taken into account. A cascading override was added to give the total energy numerous places to dissipate (similar to a stacked set of sieves).

Finally, this entity can be communicated with by those skilled with entering the minds of others. They cannot properly go into this mind, as the natural accesses for that aren't present in it's vestigal form, but they can enter a mindscape where they can interact with it. It is violent, delights in mutilation, and is fascinated by what fire does to flesh.

With this degree of skill, the True Name of the mind that this madness came from is revealed: Angela Amana.

I loved every bit of this, developing this for a year, and a week or two after Angela's been remade, I've played her every single day. It's reinvigorated the character, and I was already enjoying playing her.

Public Tower Discord
Tower Library