Some IC Stories

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Some IC Stories

Post by CragOrion » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:14 pm

I just wanted to give a shout out to some of the authors writing in the IC Stories forums. I've read and really enjoyed quite a few things from there

Emotionaloverload - Hunting for History - For all Arael's journals, pretty much the whole thread is amazing

Echohawk - That Which is Lost - Just a few posts so far, but I hope to see more

The Salt Elemental - Gift of Brutality - I haven't read the whole thing, just some quick skimming caught my eye on one of the entries, The Good and Evil of Man, which was about Kyle's situation. After reading it, I was really impressed. She really captured the whole situation there in all its unforgivingness. Nehala may be the one person that really gets the good and the bad and the tragic from all sides. Definately makes me want to read through the rest of the entries when I have time.

There's other good stuff in the stories forum, but you guys are definitely my favorites so far.

Some stuff I haven't gotten to yet but really want to read are all the rest of Gift of Brutality, Commissar's "Ashes of Empire", and Rikkulesca's "The Chronicle of Akira"

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Some IC Stories

Post by Echohawk » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really trying to incorporate story that most people won't get to see, although the events and effects reflect in the character's behavior.
I will certainly be continuing as such!

Kudos to FrozenSolid, it's such a nice story to follow, but I'm dead curious to what'll happen to Faeren.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:57 pm

Some of these stories are what get me through slow work days.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:39 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I have a ball writing them, and I hope someone here and there enjoys reading them! While we're plugging stories, here are some of my favourites, in no particular order.

The Crux of the Matter
Beautifully written, and creepy in the way only an unseen spider on the headboard of a bed can be, this is undoubtedly my very favourite warlock story. It's been sitting favorited for a good long while now, and I go back and reread it whenever I'm tempted to start thinking the fey are nice.

Death of a Vagrant
Baron always has great stories. Sara's Lyonell's end; however, is something particularly special. It's a rare thing to find something so human in such an ugly death.

The Flipping Coin and What it Told Me
Kiravias is the quintessential wild mage, with his deck of cards and ever present smirk, and the constant, unshakeable sensation that he not only knows more than you, but knows more than any living being has a right to know. The Flipping Coin's a nice look into just how that came to be.

The Long Hike
A cave dweller that's not quite a dwarf, Borin's family strife, utter lack of tact, and unflinching devotion to his duty all make for a brilliant read. My only regret is that there's not more of it.

bad dreams
Tieflings are cursed, troubled creatures. bad dreams is a beautifully written insight into why. The nameless fisher-father has a quiet sort of courage that's got nothing at all to do with swords and battle, but is no less exceptional for it.

And last, perhaps fittingly, given the name;

The End
No-one could ever accuse Hannah Naganawa of being a good person. It would be a rare soul,
in fact, that could even accuse her of being a nice person. All the same, it's hard not to feel something for how the one-time malarite met her end, particularly when it's written as well as
The End is.
Last edited by Commissar on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
May you live in interesting times.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:51 am

Commissar wrote: The Long Hike
A cave dweller that's not quite a dwarf, Borin's family strife, utter lack of tact, and unflinching devotion to his duty all make for a brilliant read. My only regret is that there's not more of it.

Thank you. And funny you should mention it..I was just looking at my notes yesterday.

Also kudos to all other writers. There's some seriously talented people around here.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

The Salt Elemental

Post by The Salt Elemental » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:07 am

Awww it's really nice to know some feed back for our stories! I personally have a really fun time writing Nehala's point of view on stuff that happens, her opinions, and her philosophy on certain morals. Thank you so much for the kudos!
"We rise and we fall
and we break
and we make our mistakes
and if there's a reason
I'm still alive
when so many have died,
then I'm willing' to wait for it."

Ironfoot

Post by Ironfoot » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:40 am

A Tinkerer's Trademarked Treatise of Transmutation
Not because i play gnome, ok maybe it is a bit, but because how is structured with nice intro of other people sentance, research with those cute made images, small subjective report and conclusion. Cant wait for more. Kudos to all who write.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:15 am

I don't usually read IC stories. But usually, when I start, I can't stop.
There have been a lot of them that I've forgotten now, but here's some of the ones that I'm following, or did follow when they were still running.

Lucas/Nyilan
Musings of a now-gone warlock.

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing: An Aspiring Cleric's Musings
Yes.

Sword of Benwick - Complete
The ultimate quest of the ultimate paladin.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm

My all time favourite one is very old and unfortunately didn't get a lot of entries but I love the writing viewtopic.php?f=21&t=723

And this one is also old but I love it too! viewtopic.php?f=21&t=505

Thank you all for writing and reading!

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Reading all the IC stories here during my coffee breaks on work has been nice way to spend time.
I will add here few stories I have been following lately:

Musings of a Wife, Friend & Mother
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13750

The End of the Trail
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13919

On the Run
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13454

A Tinkerer's Trademarked Treatise of Transmutation
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11479

There's so many more IC stories worthy of mention that I feel little bad I cant praise you all one by one but I will raise a toast of kudos to all of you who write. You even got me excited to start writing a stories of my own again.

The Gnome's Thoughts (to be continued someday.)
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13800
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:31 am

I also really love Xerah's Tinkerer's Trademarked Treatise, I've been reading it since the first entry. The Long Hike is awesome. I also love The End as much as it broke my heart, and Kiravias' story was really good. The all-too-short lived Blood of Mog about Arakh was really good as well. And I kept well up with Clock's Dearest. I'll also append that everything Commissar writes makes me salivate, unironically.

While not exactly an IC story, everything that dejapes puts to metaphorical, digital paper is also wonderful.

Kudos to all you guys.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:34 am

Emotionaloverload's "Hunting for History" and illimitable dominion over all's "bad dreams" have already been mentioned here, but I have to repeat what's already been said: Both are superb, and well worth a read.

I've also greatly enjoyed The Maid Report and The Buppi Book, both of which offer wonderful behind-the-scenes looks at really excellent characters.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:53 am

So I just read Wind & Words.

Wow, seriously one of the best things I've read on that section by far, and there's a lot of good stuff on there. Go read it, go read it now!

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:58 pm

MORE kudos for MORE cool stories that you should probably read.

rise of dr. illia is awesome. I love second-person, and to see it here gave me great amounts of happy brains.

as I lie dreaming is also a great time, as is everything that this player writes so it almost feels like cheating to put it here. I did it anyway. Haha.

Love Unmatched blew me away with how sick it was. I love this one, but more specifically I love the emotion and how punchy it is but also so brief and concise. :100:

All the above are HELLA sick. Wow.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:31 am

Older stuff that I should talk about because there's no expiration date on fun writing.

Tree of Life has some of the best imagery I've read here bar none.

"At My Feet, The Netherworld." I love Outcasts; some of them are among the greatest stories told on Arelith. Azuilah wasn't an exception, and is really one of the names that comes to my mind when I think "Outcast." I love the mix of current (well, at time of writing) and past events. Very good.

The World is on Fire is way too short considering how great it is. Baron is his usual masterful self here, dealing with some super dark themes without going into edgy territory. Which is really hard to do when you consider what's going on in his story.

Ode to the Magnum Opus fuckin potent, I don't know how else to describe this stuff. Mindblowing.

Iseult is maybe my favourite thing in the whole of the section, and that's not an easy pick.