New Player sharing experiences!

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

WhiskeyGuy

New Player sharing experiences!

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Okay, I'm here about a week at this point. I made the classic human fighter to start off. I met some really fantastic players immediately.

I made Wit. Hin. Rogue. Loudmouth, but not rude. Met even more people!

Then, I made Venna. She has met dozens of people, and all of them have been icly wonderful, varied, and interesting, but, on an ooc level, their players have been kind, generous and inviting.

I came from Amia. Sure, many of us did, or, many returned to Arelith from other places. I can see why. From the mechanics of the server, rich crafting, interdependency of crafting/enchanting, a pretty good internal economy, to thoughtful class, feat and spell changes that make ALL classes worth playing, I'm impressed with what Arelith has accomplished especially without haks.

Then... there is the one undeniable truth: Games like this are more fun with others. Amia is down to 20 or less players at peak times, and while I won't trash anywhere else, it's just not for me anymore. I've not seen Arelith's counts drop below 50+ at any time of day in a week. That... is impressive for a 12+ year old game!

Also, something that I missed on Amia... that feeling of this being real D&D. You start out your day at the Inn, maybe take a walk to some stores, before you know it, you're in a varied party off to slay some horrific beasties. The slower level progression is useful for this, and, I feel, pushes roleplay from moment one in the world. Levelling on Amia felt like a very "closed off" enterprise. Roleplay and Adventure go hand in hand. I hate running around a dungeon with no interactions. Sure, it gets hard sometimes, but... as they say, "It's not the destination, it's the journey.".

I'm finding that I don't look to "when I'm level 30" as much, if at all on Arelith, instead, I think, "What will I discover today?". That is an amazing feeling, and yes, I know being new to the server has that novelty of experiencing it for the first time. Still, the fact that I've not gone 15 minutes on Arelith without interacting with other characters is simply incredible. On Amia, you can walk the entire length and breadth of the place and not see a single pc.

Arelith feels alive and still in it's prime, seeing all the recent changes gives in to that even more. So, this Kudos is to the DM's, Developers and Players that make it all possible and fun!

Thanks!

-WG

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New Player sharing experiences!

Post by Queen Titania » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:28 pm

So Glad you are having fun on our server!
Please don't feed my sister.

Tryn Dralar

Re: New Player sharing experiences!

Post by Tryn Dralar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Constant change, variety, still receiving new players and a very large server with a large player base has promise for lasting many years to come even with its age. I love this place and will cry if and when its.......yea not even going to say it. Welcome to Arelith.