New player, wanted to share my first 48 hours

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Commie

New player, wanted to share my first 48 hours

Post by Commie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:27 am

Players;

Wonderful. Helpful. Show me things and give me tips, IC. I mention I just arrived in Cordor and people stop what they're doing to either show me places important to their character or just take my hand and show me around the town, or walk me to other 'important' locations and introduce me to PC's I need to know. All this, in addition to great stories and meeting interesting characters, cements that this is a real living world and things change. "But it wasn't always like this," the elf begins, and I am entranced. By the end of the tale I'm just amazed a single player with a bit of help could influence the world in such a profound way. It blows me away.

DM's;

I can ask super-specific fringe-lore hyper obscure mechanics or rules questions in DM chat and have an answer in a very reasonable time if not instantly. The attentiveness, responses, and speed these replies come was a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, I'm having a blast. Thanks for handling my noobishness as I fumble about my first awkward days/weeks/months here.

Artenides

Re: New player, wanted to share my first 48 hours

Post by Artenides » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:26 am

Hi, welcome here. I agree with everything you said, the community is pretty awesome on this server(player/DM) ! :)
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:02 am

I really hope all your hours after are just as much fun! Welcome aboard!
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

sirluke12

Post by sirluke12 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 pm

I have to agree. Technically I am not new, but I did not play on Arelith that much in NWN's heyday. I can see now that was rather a mistake. Other RP servers were good, but it is clear this one has aged like finest Elven wine. Just walking around and exploring the areas is highly engaging in this module. I love the way that Cordor sewers connects to the mines which connects to the frontier, for instance. My favorite part is that you can just SEE the history on this server as you traverse areas. It's evident that it has been taken very good care of and it's no surprise that this server has the most players to date even though it's an RP server. And of course the community has been pretty damn good so far as mentioned in the OP.

P.S.: Pardon me for piling on in your thread, but I didn't want there to be too many "Wow I'm a new player and this is cool" threads. That being said: Wow I'm a new player and this is cool.

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:20 pm

lol, this is my fourth post on "I'm new and this server is awesome" threads in the last few minutes. I think it is so damn cool there are so many post from new people. Just goes to show how great this server is after so many years. Of which I have only been a part of for maybe 4 years or so now.

ANyways, welcome to Arelith the both of you.

Meme Lord

Post by Meme Lord » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:47 am

Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip

Commie

Post by Commie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Meme Lord wrote:Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip
mfw its time for some death rp

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Commie wrote:
CUUURACK DAT WHIIIIP!

Meme Lord

Post by Meme Lord » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:27 am

Commie wrote:
Yea, that's basically our adventure in Discount Hell wrapped up in a nutshell lmao

Commie

Post by Commie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:27 am

Lycanthropy on this server is Snuggle a Bugbear awesome by the way. Hijacked the night for sure. How often is it that you can strip naked and run wild through the forest as nature intended leaving a trail of all your earthly possessions, eating everything you find until your friend brings you a plant?

Kudos to whomever designed/coded that feature.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:06 am

Just remember that lycanthropy carries some very heavy consequences. Mainly that many will treat you like an animal and want to hunt you down (just like in the movies).

Beernerd81

Post by Beernerd81 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:02 pm

*grabs torch and/or pitchfork* Did somebody say werewolf?!

Seriously, though, this server is awesome. After over a decade, seeing new blood here is incredible. I am back myself after a 2 year hiatus, and I find this place thriving! This community is incredible. Welcome to Commie and all the new players.
Hunter548 wrote:Variety is often overrated. Sucking at 15 things is not better than being good at 3.
Wytchee wrote:Please roleplay all classes listed on your character sheet.

Commie

Post by Commie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Black Wendigo wrote:Just remember that lycanthropy carries some very heavy consequences. Mainly that many will treat you like an animal and want to hunt you down (just like in the movies).
I caught it early as I'm a druid who uses -polymorph regularly so it was basically discovered at the end of combat and I jumped out to heal, then polymorphed back again only to attack my friend instantly.

After that it was sequestering myself in some ruins like a crazy hermit, eschewing all material possessions as I had no need of them with my new found mentality, until my friends returned with a cure.

Good times.